Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Androyed

A small project: useful buildings with a neat design

24 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I'm new here, not only to this forum but also to this mod. I love it. It makes me feel like a noob again. I've played for a few hours now but everything is still kind of chaotic; just how I like it. I was making my first tin pickaxe when I thought: "what are my goals?" The answer soon came to me. I want to turn the area into a complex of practical buildings like a farm, a granary, a mine, etc.

Getting resources in TFC can be a tedious process. I have nothing against that. It only makes the game more rewarding. But it also means that building epic structures isn't going to happen. Luckily I don't want that. I want my buildings to look humble, and every building has to have a use. This doesn't mean I'm just going to build a few wood/cobblestone boxes. I want it to look nice too.

Big projects require planning. My project isn't huge, but I prefer to know every single item I'm going to need. First I looked around the area to see what resources are available to me (in the form of rocks and trees).

Rocks

In my biome:

Layer 1: Rhyolite

Layer 2: Dolomite

Layer 3: Andesite

In an adjacent biome:

Layer 1: Chert

Layer 2: Granite

Layer 3: Andesite

In a third biome, a little further:

Layer 1: Rock Salt

Layer 2: Granite

Layer 3: Rhyolite

Rhyolite and Chert are the easiest to get, and after that Rock Salt. Dolomite and Granite are also options, but getting Andesite is going to be too much work.

Trees

Oak

Birch

Ash

Pine

Sequoia

Willow

Sequioas are big trees, but they don't have saplings, so you can replant them (right?). Personally I think Willows are ugly. Ash and Sequoia (the planks) go quite well with Chert, but I like Birch (planks) and Pine (planks and logs) the most.

Like I said, I want every building to have a use. So I thought about what we actually do and use in TFC. I have divided everything into three aspects.

Food

Animal farm (for breeding)

Tree farm

Other farming stuff (seeds, fruit trees)

Granary (storage for food, seeds, wheat, every item that has something to do with eating)

The "food" part of the complex is going to take up a lot of space, but won't require much thought as regards the design, except for the granary.

Mine

Bloomery

Forge

Anvil

Metallurgy tabel

Scribing table

Sluices

Storage (rocks, minerals, ores, ingots)

Entrance to underground (railway system)

I know minecarts don't have much use (yet), but they look so awesome that I want to do something with them anyway. I want to seperate the smithing room from the entrance. The smithing room doesn't have to be big, but I want multiple anvils, forges, etc. It just looks better that way. There's also going to be a couple of sluices in an outside area. A big storage is probably needed, so I want to make that a seperate building.

Actual house

Kitchen

Storage (for remaining items + tool racks)

Bedroom

Other rooms that won't really have a use (library, etc.)

This is the most aesthetic part. I said that I wanted every building to have a use. The house doesn't really have a use here, but let's just make an exception.

I've had some other ideas for more aesthetic buildings, like a small dock for "ships", but I will ignore that for now. First I'm going to toy around with some designs to see how that goes. For me it's the hardest part, so suggestions and comments are welcome. If not, maybe I can help you with my very original designs! :P

Granary/Barn

Original idea

At the moment I'm working on the granary. It's going to be a small symmetrical building, probably in the form of a cube, with a sloping roof. It's not going to be more than 10 blocks wide, and inside it will be 4-5 blocks high (more if you count the roof). It will have openings at every side (like I said; symmetrical). It's a bit weird for ganaries to have openings, because everyone can just steel your food, but that will always be an issue in Minecraft unless you use iron doors (and even then), so I'm just going to ignore that. And besides, I don't even play SMP anyway.

It's probably going to be a combination of cobble (Rhyolite), log piles (willow lol), birch planks, birch supports and pine tree trunks (you can place them now so that's great). I was thinking about a slightly elevated floor (1 block) made of cobble. Support beams as a sort of see-through wall (only around the 4 openings). Might be I will change the 4 openings to 1 opening because of the chest placement problem you get when you have openings on every side.

Inside there won't be much else besides chests.

Actual design

I finished the design. I ditched the original cube idea. It wasn't really practical. Now I made into some sort of barn, with not only food storage, but also log pile storage (integrated in the roof). I used a lot of support beams, only for aesthetic reasons (everything is build with wood except for the floor/base). I just think they look nice. They make the room look a little less square. Maybe I overdone it a little (like the horizontal support beams between the chests), but I think it looks nice. Upstairs looks a little empty, but there isn't really much room for chests, and I thought I could use it as a hidden log pile storage.

The back

Posted Image

The front

Posted Image

Inside downstairs

Posted Image

Inside upstairs

Posted Image

Here are some more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/f7bfW#0

Resources needed:

Cobblestone: 192

Tree trunks: 16

Plank blocks: 192

Ladders: 5

Log piles: 375

Vertical support beams: 70

Horizontal support beams: 95

Torches: 24

What do I need to harvest?

Birch logs: 513 (using a saw - log piles will only store 1 log)

Pine logs: 16

Sticks: 14

Rhyolite rocks: 192

I'm not counting the items I need to make the tools (mainly a saw). I'm going to need to build a birch tree farm for this. Getting the rocks isn't going to be hard.

If anyone has build one of the buildings I'm building him or herself, please post pictures! Ideas are always welcome.

Poor willow. It gets such a bad rap for being such a useful tree. *pat, pat* There there.

Seriously, though. In spite of the fact the tree grows like a weed and pollutes the entire area around it, it is an incredibly useful lumber. It's great for charcoal because of its fast growth rate, and it's also good for early buildings and sticks.

Certainly, you'll probably want to go with another wood later on for aesthetic reasons (unless you're into the Bravil look [and kudos to those who know what I'm talking about]), but willow really is a great foundation for your tech tree.

I like the way you're organizing this. Looks like fun.

A Dungeon so you can throw the helpless villagers in and hear them scream at night.

Poor willow. It gets such a bad rap for being such a useful tree. *pat, pat* There there.

Seriously, though. In spite of the fact the tree grows like a weed and pollutes the entire area around it, it is an incredibly useful lumber. It's great for charcoal because of its fast growth rate, and it's also good for early buildings and sticks.

Certainly, you'll probably want to go with another wood later on for aesthetic reasons (unless you're into the Bravil look [and kudos to those who know what I'm talking about]), but willow really is a great foundation for your tech tree.

I like the way you're organizing this. Looks like fun.

Thank god willow is so useful. That way I don't have to waste it in my buildings.

At the moment I'm working on the granary. It's going to be a small symmetrical building, probably in the form of a cube, with a sloping roof. It's not going to be more than 10 blocks wide, and inside it will be 4-5 blocks high (more if you count the roof). It will have openings at every side (like I said; symmetrical). It's a bit weird for ganaries to have openings, because everyone can just steel your food, but that will always be an issue in Minecraft unless you use iron doors (and even then), so I'm just going to ignore that. And besides, I don't even play SMP anyway.

It's probably going to be a combination of cobble (Rhyolite), log piles (willow lol), birch planks, birch supports and pine tree trunks (you can place them now so that's great). I was thinking about a slightly elevated floor (1 block) made of cobble. Support beams as a sort of see-through wall (only around the 4 openings). Might be I will change the 4 openings to 1 opening because of the chest placement problem you get when you have openings on every side.

Inside there won't be much else besides chests.

Pictures coming. If anyone has build a granary him or herself, please post pictures! Ideas are always welcome.

I finished the granary design. I ditched the original cube idea. It wasn't really practical. Now I made into some sort of barn, with not only food storage, but also log pile storage (integrated in the roof). I used a lot of support beams, only for aesthetic reasons (everything is build with wood except for the floor/base). I just think they look nice. They make the room look a little less square. Maybe I overdone it a little (like the horizontal support beams between the chests), but I think it looks nice. Upstairs looks a little empty, but there isn't really much room for chests, and I thought I could use it as a hidden log pile storage.

The back

Posted Image

The front

Posted Image

Inside downstairs

Posted Image

Inside upstairs

Posted Image

Here are some more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/f7bfW#0

So, how do you like it? What should I change? I can use different types of wood/cobble (remember that I only have a couple of options). Please let me now!

That. Looks. Really nice! I like how much attention to detail there is, chiseled cobble and the supports look nice. Also, the dull color contrast is nice. However, I don't like the roof. I think you should use some Chisled cobble or wooden half slabs? If you used the half slabs, perhaps make it out of sideways logs like a cabin with bits sticking out on the end..

I have been looking for inspiration for buildings in my let's play and I noticed your thread the other day and loved your ideas and first design. I mentioned your design in my latest video and hope to use it as inspiration for some of my buildings, so thanks!

If you are interested the video is:

I have been looking for inspiration for buildings in my let's play and I noticed your thread the other day and loved your ideas and first design. I mentioned your design in my latest video and hope to use it as inspiration for some of my buildings, so thanks!

If you are interested the video is:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRjKNjK0P7c&feature=vmdshb

Thanks! Cool to see that someone is using my design. I'm ashamed to admit that I kind of forgot about my project. I've always been like this; better at starting projects than at actually finishing them.

I have experimented with design a little though. I wouldn't call it a "useful" building, but here it is anyway:

Small-medium house (no interior)

With this one, I had no ideas or plans before I started building. In fact, I didn't even know what shape it was going to be, or what purpose it would have. I just started placing blocks. I ended up with a building with a lot of weird corners and walls. Not very useful at all. But I had fun designing the building. I left out the interior because I wasn't really sure what purpose the building would have. I still don't know. I guess I would use it as a house.

Outside

First let's take a look at the shape of the building. Like I said, the shape isn't very logical. I just started placing blocks until I was satisfied with the result. For every "corner" I used pine wood. Since the minecraft world exists out of blocks, oblique (is this the correct word?) walls aren't really possible. I put corners between quotation marks because I count oblique walls at corners. You can see what I mean in the pictures. This time I used bricks instead of cobblestone. It makes it look a little bit more modern. I used dolomite because the dark tint goes pretty well with the pine trunks and birch planks, and it creates a nice contrast with the pine planks I used inside. I also used improvised pine supports at the corners, with birch planks at the top and bottom. I made the roof hang over a little, to give the supports a "purpose". I recommend always making the roof a little bigger than the actual house, to make the building seem a little less blocky. But that's just my opinion. I used as much wood as I could to make up for the fact that the rest of the building almost only exists out of dolomite bricks. I think I hid that pretty well. The mix between pine trunks and dolomite bricks is a weird one, but I like it. Everywhere I could fit a window I placed some glass panes. Can't really say much more about that. A building needs light. For the front door I made something that looks like a small porch, making use of some more pine supports. Again, this is to make the building seem a little less blocky.

On the side there is a little overhang. Under it there is actually another door. I'm not quite happy with that door. Why would a second door be there, so close to the front door? It happened because of the weird shape. I ended up with a lot of pine trunks in that area, and I thought it looked ugly. I had to build something there, to hide all those pine trunks. A door fitted, and I thought of it as a backdoor, to the garden or to the mine or something. The "fence" and planks on the ground you see outside, well, that part isn't really finished. I suppose it's part of the garden or some other area, so I didn't really pay too much attention to it.

Now onto the roof. I used the same material as for the walls. I experimented with other materials, but it just didn't feel right. To make it feel less dull, I cut off the top and made the rest from glass. From the inside it looks cool, and it gives the room a lot more light. I used the overhang I build for the backdoor as some sort of balcony. With the chisel I created a little fence out of dolomite bricks. For the floor I used rhyolite smooth stone, the same I used for the floor on the rest of the building (combined with pine planks, but I will get too that later).

Posted Image

The front

Posted Image

The left side, with the back door

Posted Image

The back

Posted Image

The roof

Posted Image

The balcony

For more pictures, see the full album (http://imgur.com/a/YbgWB#0)

Inside

For the inside I (over)used support beams again, just like in my granary. Again, they aren't needed, because I used birch planks for the second floor anyway. But I just like the look. For the flooring, I used rhyolite smooth stone. It has this marbly, modern look and its light color creates a nice contrast with the dark dolomite. Because a floor that only exists out of rhyolite looks too repetitive and dull, I used pine planks around where I placed the supports. I'm quite happy with the result.

But the real show is the second floor in my opinon. The design itself isn't more than some birch planks and fences. But it makes the building seem so much bigger, so much more "open". I love that. It could be better, but I can't say I'm not happy. I came with the idea because I wasn't able to place the support beams symmetrical. Then I thought, why not leave a part out? Why not make a sort of inside balcony? The second floor originally existed out of two parts, but I joined them together with a walkway (with a fence "wall"). I had to build the walkway on the outside of the building, which changed the whole original design of the roof and walls. So I made the rest of the roof hang a little more over the walls, changed how the supports on the outisde looked, and now you can't really see it anymore (look at the roof picture). I could've build the walkway on the inside, but it didn't look right. It screwed with the open, "roomy" feeling I just created. The second floor also leads to the balcony. To get to the second floor, you have to go up a ladder. It looks a little cheap (like some sort of barn), but I couldn't fit in a staircase. It's too big.

Posted Image

Front and back door from the inside

Posted Image

Ladder that leads to the second floor

Posted Image

The second floor

Posted Image

The second floor from the other side

Posted Image

A picture to show you the open, "roomy" feeling

For more pictures, see the full album (http://imgur.com/a/YbgWB#0)

Great work! I don't feel you over use the support beams at all, I like the style it gives. Please keep this up and do the other buildings too!

Great work! I don't feel you over use the support beams at all, I like the style it gives. Please keep this up and do the other buildings too!

Thanks! I'm going to start with the forge/smithing building. The previous building was actually supposed to be the smithing building, but I think it looks better as a house, and I couldn't really fit a forge and anvils and such in there. So I'm going to start over, and build while keeping the purpose in mind. I hope it will be a little more useful and logical than my previous building. As much as I loved the design, some parts didn't really make sense.

I really like your buildings

this is a building i made recently as a blacksmith shop. I browsed google images for inspiration (the inspiration photo is included in the album) and built it in creative.

I first made it with a nether brick stair roof until i realized that you can't get those in TFC (derp!)

http://imgur.com/a/1EZan#0

here is a sawmill i made

http://imgur.com/a/OfP01#0

really love that smithy and sawmill. nice buildings, also the other buildings here are very nice.

this is a building i made recently as a blacksmith shop. I browsed google images for inspiration (the inspiration photo is included in the album) and built it in creative.

I first made it with a nether brick stair roof until i realized that you can't get those in TFC (derp!)

here is a sawmill i made

Really nice! Love the chimney! Have you thought about using smooth stone for the floor instead of bricks? Don't know if it will look better or not, but smooth stone looks basically like huge bricks if you use it as a floor.

What I really like about the sawmill is the sleeping area above it, It looks really cool with the roof!

here is a sawmill i made

You have extraordinary abilities in building things

Really nice! Love the chimney! Have you thought about using smooth stone for the floor instead of bricks? Don't know if it will look better or not, but smooth stone looks basically like huge bricks if you use it as a floor.

What I really like about the sawmill is the sleeping area above it, It looks really cool with the roof!

http://imgur.com/a/qafbd#0

so what do you think

and here is my new build

http://imgur.com/a/8CQgw#0

I am looking for a new project if you have any ideas let me know

Friend and I built a castle/fort and small village in the shadow on a server we play on.

http://imgur.com/a/YiRLq#0

Most of the credit goes to him, but he doesn't have a forum account.

Friend and I built a castle/fort and small village in the shadow on a server we play on.http://imgur.com/a/YiRLq#0Most of the credit goes to him, but he doesn't have a forum account.

Amazing, but where is exactly the castle in the server?

Thank god willow is so useful. That way I don't have to waste it in my buildings.

I do use it as my building material. Why? Because it's abundant and I have the choice in my current location of . . . White Elm or Willow. 

Or bricks, which would be: Shale, Dolomite, Quartzite, Marble, Basalt, Gneiss, Schist, and Gabbro. Planning on some graph paper a building of sorts. 

By the way, I might share some of my designs but some of them are in Vanilla. I might also have to dip into a creative world to fully realize them (because I just don't want to work on wearing out tools all that much). But I have a house design which might work, and a forge/smithy having begun getting laid out in my game. I'll note, once you get Willow going well? Forges are *the* way to go especially for cooking fish/calamari :) 

Here we go - neat design is eschewed in favor of "proof of concept". This is a two-story, three-chambered building housing all your metal-smelting needs and a storeroom capable of massive storage space. I built it in Creative since I didn't have endless time to chisel, mix mortar, place, get it wrong, and actually climb the metallurgy tree to get capability to make a Blast Furnace or Crucible :) 

(I still don't have Iron anywhere yet.)

Link to the album

I will probably go back in and redo it in something other than Basalt and Aspen. Probably Marble and Sycamore . . .

I really like your buildingsthis is a building i made recently as a blacksmith shop. I browsed google images for inspiration (the inspiration photo is included in the album) and built it in creative.I first made it with a nether brick stair roof until i realized that you can't get those in TFC (derp!)http://imgur.com/a/1EZan#0here is a sawmill i madehttp://imgur.com/a/OfP01#0

Maybe you need to change the raw stone into chert bricks (my idea)

I like the Granary Androyed made, the Blacksmith Cidd made, and the Castle Zarren's friend made that he posted here. I hope others will post nice buildings they have made. One thing I would like to see however is maybe some more detailed albums that show how to construct these Really Nice Buildings so people can build them in their own TFC games or servers. In another section of the forums, someone made a nice guilde to build an early game house of logs and sod. I used it to create a basic home for my single player game. Now that I have some decent tools, I need some good ideas for some more sophistcated buildings. I hope to see ones that incorporate the important TFC sturctures into them well (Pit Kiln, Forge, Charcoal Pit, Bloomery, and Blast Furnace).