Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsb23

Metal blocks

82 posts in this topic

*Double facepalm because he didn't thought that before*

I honestly can't think of a way to make a large ceramic mold easily what if we used stone? I'm at a loss here someone help me out.

If we could simply throw it in the bloomery, do we really need a way to make the large ceramic mold?

Well it can't just solidify in our bloomery and then we pull it out that would be horrible we would have disassemble our bloomery everytime and it would be super misshapen. I don't know how it works very well though honestly we need a smith in here were the heck did Jed go?

I know a little bit about casting metals, specifically sand casting(which sand you use is quite important, from a real-life perspective. However, for the sake of gameplay....).

I put up a system in this thread for casting metal blocks, and a bunch of other stuff:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/1974-metalworking-improvementsadditions-and-some-cooking-on-the-side/

I honestly can't think of a way to make a large ceramic mold easily what if we used stone? I'm at a loss here someone help me out.

you could add a copper smelter, that when a storage block as added it melts down the blocks into its own storage container, that you then add regular molds too to gain the liquid ore, "to smelt, or not to smelt, that is the question"

hey doc, if you need to post responding to different people, don't double or triple post, just put it all in one!

hey doc, if you need to post responding to different people, don't double or triple post, just put it all in one!

... and why exactly you tell this to him right now? ._.

How about 8 clay molds in a square shape make a large clay mold. Then you heat it to make a large ceramic mold. Then you melt 9 ingots into it, or use the bloomery to get 18kg of liquid metal into it. Then you let it cool and work it on the anvil like usual. So basically making an ingot, only bigger.

To turn back into ingots, just throw the metal block into the bloomery, then you have to make ingots like usual.

Its simple really, you can use a kiln(is this correct spelling?)

a Kiln is basically a large oven that heats clays into ceramics. Heres what I propose

Users make a forge, then add two 'rings' of cobble over it. They then place a clay BLOCK inside the opening in the bottom ring. Finally, they place a block on top to seal the opening.

This would be a kin structure for turning clay blocks into ceramic blocks. Ceramic blocks can then be used to create large reusable molds for ore blocks. In order to fill the large mold, the mold must be adjacent to the bloomery. Im not sure what term to use here, but for now lets call it a siphon will be placed between the bloomery and mold. Alternatively, one could toss 9 liquid ore directly into the mold. Doing this would drop all molds into the world.

Yes, not very realistic(other then how to make a kiln. Which is not exactly perfect but is in fact a tip of the hat towards the real thing.) but its got gameplay value, right?

How about fusing two double ingots together? To turn back into ingots, you need to melt it back into moulds in a forge.

Ummm, just thinking a little over this, but its to my knowledge that almost or all blocks used in TFC are custom made right? (Ergo not using the vainilla ones). If thats the case a system similar to RP microblocks could be made in which you could use a metal sheet of any kind (Purely for decoration) unto a already placed block, like a dirt block or a wood block. This way you could make for example the interior in a type of metal and the exterior in another metal (Or the texture of the original block in which you placed the sheet).

Placing a sheet would only alter the appereance of one side of the block. Also in this way the sheet would be placed "Inside" the block, so you can perfectly put whatever item you want on the side a sheet its place. (For example: if you have a metal floor, you can place any item without them floating a block above the floor like it would happen if you try to do something similar with RP microblocks)

Of course this without adding the ridiculously amounts of microblocks adds. Just a simple one size sheet that can be placed in any of side of a block.

um... why the hell would you need a large mold?

Just toss the thing in a bloomery, you'll get the... what was it, 9 ingots? 18 kg of metal output, and then just put in regular molds till you have your metal back. No need to add in new items

Yeah, i was confused as well. This is not for getting the ingots back, this is for making the block in the first place.

My post was about making the block. Getting them back... Well, bloomery with it. Dropped in as an item.

Yeah, i was confused as well. This is not for getting the ingots back, this is for making the block in the first place.

oh

Why not make double ingots placeable. Make it so that when you place it, it adds a layer.

Then you could make a metal block take 10 double ingots, this would allow them to be partial blocks as well.

Then they would be able to match up heights and maybe widths with chiseled blocks.

When harvesting them you would need an equal or better pick-axe. (I would say better but then if you only have tin you can't get your placed tin back)

This would also allow for a storage method for bars.

And when you harvest them, it would just remove one layer at a time like charcoal, and each layer would drop two regular ingots, you would lose the weld because you are breaking the block, maybe also explains how it stays together in the first place.

... and why exactly you tell this to him right now? ._.

because that's when I read the topic :P

Why not make double ingots placeable. Make it so that when you place it, it adds a layer.

Then you could make a metal block take 10 double ingots, this would allow them to be partial blocks as well.

Then they would be able to match up heights and maybe widths with chiseled blocks.

When harvesting them you would need an equal or better pick-axe. (I would say better but then if you only have tin you can't get your placed tin back)

This would also allow for a storage method for bars.

And when you harvest them, it would just remove one layer at a time like charcoal, and each layer would drop two regular ingots, you would lose the weld because you are breaking the block, maybe also explains how it stays together in the first place.

Why would you need a pick to "harvest" something you just laid on the ground? That's like saying you need a pickaxe to pick up loose rocks, or an axe to pick up a log pile, or.... you get the idea.

Well for a couple of reasons,

One this was for metal blocks more so then metal storage, getting storage out of it was just a bonus.

Maybe the magic of welding flux transfers over to ingots placed together......

It's minecraft it only has to make a little sense.

Obviously it is not a realistic idea, but I figured it "felt" real enough and killed a few birds with one idea.

We could modify the idea so that you place the first one, then you have to "lay" down a place of flux on it, this would look like sulfur does, when its on a block.

Then you have to place the second one at a weldable temperature, "welding" the placed double ingots together.

Every time you add another layer you would have to place the flux and heat the new ingot.

But if this was done, it is ALOT more effort and time, also using metal plates might make more sense then double ingots if they are getting welded with this process.

How about you can place ingots in the world. When placed it creates a structure similar to this: http://media-3.web.britannica.com/eb-media/16/124216-004-66A66F8D.jpg

Works like a woodpile, except holds only the ingot type it started with and drops itself when mined(metadata used to define quantity contained within it) This would look nice, and function well. The dropped item from breaking it is considered 'Huge' despite its contents.

My point of this is to make aesthetic blocks for creative though (such as metal walls and metal statues) if they were ingot piles it would look horrible for what I want. Metal blocks are colorful, solid and maybe eventually, shiny so they are perfect for this.

If we want to make something directly place-able make it metal sheets not ingots. I'm still for a mold system though as it opens a lot of possibilities but as long as it is in, in some form I'm happy once more I was hoping for this to be mostly creative.

Not going to make double ingots placeable, as they are too blocky to be sections of a metre cubed.

inb4 metal sheets (no for them as well)

I meant single ingots. A single ingot looking structure(like what I posted) would look nice and fair well for us.

Edit: I wanna recreate fort Knox D:

Not going to make double ingots placeable, as they are too blocky to be sections of a metre cubed.

inb4 metal sheets (no for them as well)

Alright so molding or welding then right?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0