Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leosallespoli

IRL ores from real mines

38 posts in this topic

These are some photos I've taken at my university showing different ores from different mines. Sorry about the quality, they were taken with my cellphone. Many of you may say that this is just rock, yeah... Most ores don't represent a significant part of the rock, in order to be used they have to be beneficiated, which separetes the ore from the rest(gangue). You can't just mine a rock and smelt it (in 90% of the cases).

P.s. The images are really big.

Zinc ores:

Posted Image

(Dolomite mineralized with Calamine)

Posted Image

(Sphalerite from Parnaíba, Minas Gerais, Brazil)

Posted Image

(This has almost every zinc mineral sphalerite, Calamine and Smithsonite plus Galena. Iporanga, São Paulo, Brazil)

Tin ores:

Posted Image

(Cassiterite from Oruro, Bolivia)

Posted Image

(As the tag says "Tin ore", I don't know this one. Cleaveland, Australia)

Posted Image

(Another unidentified Tin ore in a quartz-latite matrix from Catavi, Bolivia)

Copper ores:

Posted Image

(Tetrahedrite from Chile)

Posted Image

(This is really cool, at least for me, on the left there is Native Copper from Corocore, Bolivia, and on the right you relly can see the Azurite (the blue incrustation) it is from Apiaí, São Paulo, Brazil)

Posted Image

(Malaquite in Schist)

Posted Image

(Chalcopyrite - The most important copper ore today)

Iron ores:

Posted Image

(Limonite from Antônio Pereira, Minas Gerais, Brazil)

Super cool! Thanks for sharing :D

I'm curious, how do modern miners know when they have hit ore when some of those look so much like rock? Furthermore, how do they determine where to dig?

Thanks, Monday I'll share more pics from the geology department.

First question is a little complex, but I think I can resume in they really don't know, you don't hit the ore, you hit the rock that may contain the ore. The thing is that the ore may be a small percentage of the rock like in gold mines if you find 10 grams of gold per ton of excavated rock the mine is great! That is why I didn't show the gold ores, you can't see much in it... If you could then it wouldn't be displayed there. But that is an extreme case, coal mines on the other hand you can really see the ore, and maybe is more than 60% of the rock.

So how they know that the rock has the ore, that is the geologist work, they can see the difference, I've shown the azurite which is colorful and easy to spot, but is not just color that gives away, it is shape, texture, cleavage and when you have doubts you go to the lab. I can show you guys the lab if you want.

After a geologist has determine that in an area there may be a mineral of interest then comes the engineers, they use this thing(I don't know the name in english lets just call diamond drill) that digs a small diameter hole that goes really deep (I've seen some 100m long) and it brings up a cilinder of every rock formation that it dug. If you repeat that you can delimitate the area and with geostatistics(Kriging-I've did a post about it not long ago) you can know what is down there with some accuracy and you can know the rock properties.

Pretty neat! It's kinda cool because where I live (well, basically everywhere you could live in northern Ontario) is near some mining towns, and you can buy small samples of ores like these. But I haven't seen samples so big!

Pretty neat! It's kinda cool because where I live (well, basically everywhere you could live in northern Ontario) is near some mining towns, and you can buy small samples of ores like these. But I haven't seen samples so big!

http://www.geologyon...siii/viewer.asp

You can see what those claims are on that map, each delimited area could become or is already a mine. Most of them should be mines for stone and aggregate for civil construction they are usually placed near towns so the transport cost is low.

Those samples are like that because when a mine ask for some kind of mineralogic study in our labs they donate samples.

Tonight I'll post more photos taken from the geology department here

Since this is from the geology department the minerals are way more evident and they are prettier. The others were from the mining engineering department. If anyone has a request or want to know something else about geology, gemology or mining, please ask and if I don't know I'll find someone who knows

gems

Posted Image

(amethist geode from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil)

Posted Image

(another amethist geode)

Galena

Posted Image

(a little galena geode from Marrocos)

Posted Image

(galena from Kansas-US and Capão Bonito-São Paulo, Brazil)

I'll now post a lot of iron minerals, Brazil is the largest exporter of Iron and mainly due to Itabirite.

Iron

Posted Image

(the left is Iridescent Itabirite and the one on the right is Hematite)

Posted Image

(hematite, Morro Agudo Mine, Minas Gerais, Brazil)

Posted Image

(Iridescent Hematite from Ouro Preto, Minas Gerais, Brazil)

Posted Image

(Iridescent Hematite)

Sulfur

Posted Image

(Sulfur Crystals from Spain, yes that is me...)

more Copper:

Posted Image

(Oxidized native copper from the border between Brazil and Paraguay)

Posted Image

(someone has asked how it is done the exploration and I have said something about diamond drilling, this is a testimony(?- I don't know how to translate that) of Chalcopirite)

Sphalerite

Posted Image

(Different forms of sphalerite ore, I'm lazy)

Posted Image

(A polished sphalerite)

Cassiterite

Posted Image

(cassiterite from Rondonia Brazil and from Bolivia)

Posted Image

(From Minas Gerais, Brazil and Cornwall, England)

Gypsum

Posted Image

(The rose of the desert, from Patagonia, Argentina)

Nicolite:

Posted Image

(Yeah... nothing much here... From Ontario)

Pyrite(fool's gold):

Posted Image

(yes this was extracted from a mine from Spain)

Diamond:

Posted Image

(Diamond from Minas Gerais, Brazil, and a Diamond on Gangue also from Minas Gerais)

Obsidian:

Posted Image

(obsidian form easter island)

Asphalt and coal:

Posted Image

Very cool, I always wondered what all of these ores looked like.

Woah obsidian is like... totally white (at least that specimen). What the heck was mojang thinking?

Sweet, looks like TFC's cassiterite is pretty dead on from that picture.

And that gypsum just looks awesome!

thanks for sharing these with us. I find it funny how two sample of the same ore can look so different

Woah obsidian is like... totally white (at least that specimen). What the heck was mojang thinking?

WHITE?!? I think you're looking at the label.

thanks for sharing these with us. I find it funny how two sample of the same ore can look so different

Yeah, it depends on the matrix rock and if there is any other ion that affects the ore. Now, iridescence is a really cool feature caused possibly by some inclusions like gas cavities or some mineral intergrowth, anyway those are considered to be more valuable as gems than as ores.

This is a really cool sample and shows one of the reasons why it is called volcanic glass, if you can break it that shell-like fracture appears like glass. The sample I've shown is a little pale and the photo is bad, sorry about that, but is not white.

man i wish i had gotten of my butt andposted sooner

heres a tetrahedrite crystal in white calcite

Posted Image

chalcopyrite

Posted Image

gold barring arsenopyrite

Posted Image

any of these good?

i have tons of pics of ore thats come directly from the ground at my mine site near Smithers BC

any of these good?

i have tons of pics of ore thats come directly from the ground at my mine site near Smithers BC

You are a geologist, aren't you?

Those 3 came from the same mine? The last is also in calcite I guess, but the second... Is a clean iridescent chalcopyrite, really good.

You are a geologist, aren't you?

Those 3 came from the same mine? The last is also in calcite I guess, but the second... Is a clean iridescent chalcopyrite, really good.

he is my people.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0