Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Toboo

Tents.

75 posts in this topic

In actuality if you were in the middle of nowhere with literally nothing, no tools, no food, nothings, you would not knap a stone axe, cut down a tree, cut said tree into planks with your stone axe, and build a small house, you would probably instead A. Find a cave, or B. make some sort of makeshift shelter out of sticks, leaves, animal hides or whatever else you could find.

My proposal is this: you could place leather as a thin wall that would have to held up by supports made of sticks, this would make a good temporary shelter, another option would be just having the ability to craft an item which could just be plopped down, but that's just boring in my opinion.

meh, I don't really think the tent thing would be a good idea, beacause why would you make a tent when you could just make a house? but i do like the idea of being able to place leather on blocks, kinda like a tanning rack, and maybe you could tan the leather and make things out of it.

cut down a tree, cut said tree into planks with your wooden axe

problem here, how would you get the wood to make the wooden axe that you chopped down said tree with

and besides, have you ever tired to use a wooden axe? you might as well be trying to cut a tree down with a large stick

In the present, yeah, that's what you would do. But, who said it was the present? We won't have most of today's technology due to the time period stablished for the mod, so who said Steve knows anything about tents?

In the present, you also wouldn't probably just accept that you appeared there and live the rest of your life there, neither would you die and respawn near your bed. In the present you would write SOS everywhere as big as you could, and look for the civilization, as well as you would simply die and be forgot about until a couple of explorers find your body and say you were from the 16 century BC. But look! you in fact do accept it, and you in fact do respawn! why could it be?

Saying "In the present you do this" is not a good argument. If you refer to the real world present, it's useless, because that doesn't applies in the stablished mod's time period, nor to the mod itself as it goes for believability instead of pure realism. If you -strangely- refer to the mod's "present", to the mod's time, then you will provoke confusion among the readers, which will naturally understand it in the first way, instead of this one.

In the present, yeah, that's what you would do. But, who said it was the present? We won't have most of today's technology due to the time period stablished for the mod, so who said Steve knows anything about tents?

In the present, you also wouldn't probably just accept that you appeared there and live the rest of your life there, neither would you die and respawn near your bed. In the present you would write SOS everywhere as big as you could, and look for the civilization, as well as you would simply die and be forgot about until a couple of explorers find your body and say you were from the 16 century BC. But look! you in fact do accept it, and you in fact do respawn! why could it be?

Saying "In the present you do this" is not a good argument. If you refer to the real world present, it's useless, because that doesn't applies in the stablished mod's time period, nor to the mod itself as it goes for believability instead of pure realism. If you -strangely- refer to the mod's "present", to the mod's time, then you will provoke confusion among the readers, which will naturally understand it in the first way, instead of this one.

Who ever said in the present?

I don't think cavemen ever agonized over whether they wanted their wall paneling to be spruce or maple

That's why they were called cavemen

he said "in actuality", because it just sounds bad to me, i used "in the present" as a synonymous.

Anyone have a link where Bioxx said we are supposed to be cavemen? I always thought, as a sandbox game, we would use our own imagination as to how we got here.

Anyone have a link where Bioxx said we are supposed to be cavemen? I always thought, as a sandbox game, we would use our own imagination as to how we got here.

well you see that title some people have when they just start on these forums? yeah

well you see that title some people have when they just start on these forums? yeah

Forum titles... yep, strikes me as concrete proof. Especially since Bioxx is not listed as the webmaster. It is quite possible that SpAnser just put those in.

Forum titles... yep, strikes me as concrete proof. Especially since Bioxx is not listed as the webmaster.

well, it really is never stated anywhere who you are, how you got here, where HERE actually is, or what happened before you got here. it kind of leaves it all up to your imagination

you could be a shipwrecked pirate, a lost adventurer, the sole survivor of the apocalypse

whatever you want it to be

you could be a shipwrecked pirate, a lost adventurer, the sole survivor of the apocalypse

Even a Demonic Spaghetti Eldritch God?

Even a Demonic Spaghetti Eldritch God?

even that...even that

even that...even that

but even given that, the fact remains that your first reaction when stranded - whether it be 3000 BC or 2012 AD - is not to immediately build a hardwood mansion.

but even given that, the fact remains that your first reaction when stranded - whether it be 3000 BC or 2012 AD - is not to immediately build a hardwood mansion.

well i dunno what kind of stuff you're thinking about... but thats definitely my first reaction

problem here, how would you get the wood to make the wooden axe that you chopped down said tree with

and besides, have you ever tired to use a wooden axe? you might as well be trying to cut a tree down with a large stick

I meant stone axe

I'm assuming that if whatever steve is, is intelligent enought to cut a wooden log into planks and make a building out of it, then he can drape the skins of animals over some sticks, the point of this is to make an easy constructable and desconstructible house that wouldn't last over time but would be better for surviving the first few nights so instead of having a little 2x2 hut which you will have to remove to make room for the mansion you plan to build, you can instead build a tent out of sticks and leather that can easily be disembled and picked up, this would also allow for more exploration, having shelter that can easily be deployed, and since bioxx plans for biomes to be like real life were you have to move long distances to find diffrent ones, exploration may be in some peoples intrests

instead of having a little 2x2 hut which you will have to remove to make room for the mansion you plan to build,

wouldn't a small dirt hut be essentially the same as a tent? Just a small temporary shelter you build until you can make something better.

Wool and hide would fit this, though as far as it go's its pointless as a primary material. It would serve as ascetic or easy to obtain. blast resistance of wool. Wool would need to be converted into 'sheets' and leather would need to be turned into 'hide'

I dont see much point in this as no matter how you survive your first night you still end up hiding in a hole. Does not matter what that hole is made of, a hole is a hole.

also, for the record... I wish spiders spawned like crazy at night... Favorite mob.

i never had a problem with "the first night" heres what ya do. run around gathering rocks and looking for sheep.. find sheep get wool. cut down tree make bed, bed becomes tent. i survive very nomadic till i have enough base metals to get a house going. my point being make a bed use imagination and call it a tent.

i never had a problem with "the first night" heres what ya do. run around gathering rocks and looking for sheep.. find sheep get wool. cut down tree make bed, bed becomes tent. i survive very nomadic till i have enough base metals to get a house going. my point being make a bed use imagination and call it a tent.

Maybe retexture/skin the bed to look like a tent.

Maybe retexture/skin the bed to look like a tent.

Can I get a hell no?

Can I get a hell no?

more like a HHEEEEEEEEEEEEELLL NAAAAWHHH

I think to make a tent you should:

-put a stick in the ground in front and behind

- Put 3 sticks connecting the two

- Use tissue in the middle stick

- The tent would appear closed

- Put the 4-pin ends to secure

- The tent would be a menu to open it

- The tent appear open

There would be a chance loose pins based on the strength of the wind causing it closed and then fly.

The tent was a portable home with minimal internal size with the option of sleeping, there would be no protection against mobs however protect from climatic effects.

Could there be tents made of simple materials like leaves and different sizes, their blocks would be like glass, so that mobs will detect you, but opaque for breakable and 1 hit.

Complicated system, like firepit!

I think to make a tent you should:

-put a stick in the ground in front and behind

- Put 3 sticks connecting the two

- Use tissue in the middle stick

- The tent would appear closed

- Put the 4-pin ends to secure

- The tent would be a menu to open it

- The tent appear open

There would be a chance loose pins based on the strength of the wind causing it closed and then fly.

The tent was a portable home with minimal internal size with the option of sleeping, there would be no protection against mobs however protect from climatic effects.

Could there be tents made of simple materials like leaves and different sizes, their blocks would be like glass, so that mobs will detect you, but opaque for breakable and 1 hit.

Complicated system, like firepit!

sir, please read the whole discusion before posting on the topic, although i do like this idea, we already decided against having tents

but on a lighter note WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Yeah, the firepit is definitely complicated. 3 sticks, harder than rocket science.

Yeah, the firepit is definitely complicated. 3 sticks, harder than rocket science.

And don't get me started in how to take those rocks from the ground; that's just an unsolvable mistery!

(?)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0