Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dunkleosteus

Animals!

297 posts in this topic

Fish has been confirmed for a long time.

As far as the other suggestions, thank you guys. I would like to make a few points though. I really like the swarming mechanic, but I can predict that it might cause some lag and/or prevent the animals from performing other tasks. Larger animals don't necessarilly form smaller herds... And "prey" animals aren't the timid scaredy-cats everyone seems to think they are. Any animal that thinks it's life is in danger is really quite dangerous (save the odd chicken or rabbit) [inb4 rabbits in tfc. Not planned as of yet] cows, pigs and deer can be really dangerous, and there have been cases of deer attacking and harming humans. Just the other week, a pig farmer in Oregon was killed and devoured by his pigs and cows and stampedes kill people all the time.

In the algorithm I proposed 11 would be the minimum in which a cow actively looked for more friends within it's scanning range. The maximum would only be set by the amount land available and the minimum distance set between any two cows. I was hoping that any food/hunger mechanics would be the thing that broke herds apart. If you have dry grass and their population may bust faster (no reproduction and starving individuals break off). If your in a tropics and grass regrows faster than they can eat it.... COWS! AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE!

Posted Image

Something simpler than the swarming might be like what happens in a regular herd, where there is an alpha male or female that the others follow. It wouldn't be a lockstep of course, each animal would have a certain distance they might individually be alright with moving away from the alpha, but when the alpha moves, it signals the others to move in that general direction as well to keep from getting too far away.

Biggest trouble I see with this is maybe the number of calculations per animal and based on herd distances, and possibly with the herd "appointing new leadership" to another animal in the herd should the alpha die. Course, would be cool if all the adults die and the baby cows go off to follow a wolf alpha, who then raises them to be the natural predators > :D

To minimize numbers that an animal has to be assigned, maybe the "alpha" aspect can be tied to the same value that controls the animals size. The "biggest" animal is the herd leader by default, and if that animal is killed, leadership is transferred to the next largest animal in the herd. If Dunk wants to get fancy, he might put in a matriarchal/patriarchal/coed switch, where an animal herd might be forced to default to the largest animal of a specific sex.

BTW, will there be horsies to ride around?

BTW, will there be horsies to ride around?

This would do several things I think:

1. Make early travel without minecarts easier

2. Open a new source of economy, as someone will likely start breeding and raising horses to sell.

3. Provide a means of making leather-clad horseback raiders, which is awesome.

This would do several things I think:

1. Make early travel without minecarts easier

2. Open a new source of economy, as someone will likely start breeding and raising horses to sell.

3. Provide a means of making leather-clad horseback raiders, which is awesome.

horses are a bit iffy at the moment. I think that with the current world sizes, horses aren't very useful, as you can easilly travel as far as you'd like on foot.

Maybe horses go as fast as you do when running, but you don't lose hunger, the horse does. And the horse loses hunger much slower than you do. and what if horses can pull stuff? Chariots, tool rack. A gigantic ploughing tool!

horses are a bit iffy at the moment. I think that with the current world sizes, horses aren't very useful, as you can easilly travel as far as you'd like on foot.

WHAAA??? Hey... There's some of us who would benefit from trading between "towns" or have to go every other day from home to mine and they are km apart, this looks like FarCry 2.............

Slinging packs on the horses too, would be interesting, though I also see a lot of dead horses from running off sudden cliffs and lots of small ledges.

I want horses, but mostly because without them we couldn't properly represent the cavalry in TFC. Horses were the most widely used animal in battles, both for warriors, rangers, and sieges (as there were tons of machines that required horses to be moved around and used, due to their size). TFC right now can represent fairly well the most early ages of the civilization's history, but no history book is complete without the wars.

I said horses are a maybe lol. Lets not turn this into a horse thread.

I think it would be neat if either the big horn sheep or the deer could act like a mountain goat (or add a mountain goat). Have it able to jump 2 maybe even 3 blocks and drop an extra 2 or 3 blocks without taking damage. Be neat to see them living on super steep mountain sides.

EDIT:

What about ponies?

Only if they are pastel.

-Pack animals! Used to transport more than the player can with a pack saddle. Have them haul carts for even more carrying capacity.

-Simulate actual animal running speeds, so in some close encounters running away is not possible.

-More animals attacking other animals.

-Make hunting animals more difficult (like in RL), forcing players to create strategies or work in groups to hunt effectively. Make prey sensitive to player activity and run away faster than the player can run.

-Make predators more dangerous. Players should feel terrified at times when they encounter something big or vicious while alone, not invincible at all times.

-Heards or hunting packs is a good suggestion from earlier.

-Dead mobs/animals should drop a corpse which is an interactive entity or block that can be further worked for hides, meat, trophies, etc. Maybe they can attract nearby predators.

Just look to reality and try to simulate as much of it as possible as accurately as possible and we will all be rewarded with a better game.

-Simulate actual animal running speeds, so in some close encounters running away is not possible.

Hopefully they add the ability for me to climb trees too then. :/

I think it would be neat if either the big horn sheep or the deer could act like a mountain goat (or add a mountain goat). Have it able to jump 2 maybe even 3 blocks and drop an extra 2 or 3 blocks without taking damage. Be neat to see them living on super steep mountain sides.

EDIT:

And only if they are pastel.

Only if they are named Flutters... Oh shit, what am I talking O.o

Anyway: what about sleeping animals.

I can imagine that this would be quite tricky to creat, but it would be cool AND realistic if farmanimals (cows, pigs...) would sleep during the night while wolfs and possible other mobs are active at night (Owls? Everyone is fond of owls). Sleeping animals would be sort of angry or shocked if you wake them suddenly up (they run away from you quickly because you could be an enemy.) This would add a little bit more difficulty to the "wolfs attack farm stock" idea from before, too.

Hopefully they add the ability for me to climb trees too then. :/

I like the idea of dangerous fast animals but I don't think that trees would be that save: the only diffrence between a brown bear and a grizzly is that the bear shakes you down from the tree and the grizzly climbs up to you.^^

I like the idea of dangerous fast animals but I don't think that trees would be that save: the only diffrence between a brown bear and a grizzly is that the bear shakes you down from the tree and the grizzly climbs up to you.^^

grizzly bears are generally poor tree climbers because they get so heavy.

grizzly bears are generally poor tree climbers because they get so heavy.

but I thought some bear-types can climb trees (not quick and agile like a squirrel, but with their strong claws and if the tree is big enough)

By the way: can you say something about the bears? Untill now they seem quite rare (too rare) and they aren't as active as they could be, like defending a cave they are living in, or even catching fish in rivers like grizzlys catch salmon.

but I thought some bear-types can climb trees (not quick and agile like a squirrel, but with their strong claws and if the tree is big enough)

By the way: can you say something about the bears? Untill now they seem quite rare (too rare) and they aren't as active as they could be, like defending a cave they are living in, or even catching fish in rivers like grizzlys catch salmon.

This one does---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectacled_bear

haha. Yeah, I am going to adjust the bears. It's the new terrain gen that makes them so rare. The american black bear is really quite good at climbing trees, but a large grizzly bear can be up to 680 kg, which is much too heavy to climb a tree (not counting the kodiak bears which are scary fucking huge, rivaling polar bears.)

Hmmm could you have it so that bears fish and it gets thrown behind them. After they have 2 or 3 they turn around and collect/eat them. If a player (or another animal) could run by and steal them while the bear is still fishing that would be cool. You would probably need to run like hell though.

i dont know if is already in the game but it would be nice if you could not milk the same cow over and over and over to get infinite milk.....cows should be milked once per day (of course that can be tweaked) so it will encourage you to have several cows (specially if you guys are going to make milk actually useful )

also would be nice to have the chance to name your pets

Or maybe only when they just had a baby. (Or better yet, you could spike their feed)

This all seems cool, but please don't be too ambitious! Break down the feature list into pieces that can be developed iteratively, so if you run short on time there's a better chance of getting something fully working.

I recommend starting with animal breeding, because without that nothing else is all that valuable. Having some way to gather animals that doesn't require food (e.g. a leash) would be very useful too, since it is difficult right now to actually grow crops.

A full system for domesticating animals would be awesome, but I think much lower priority.

haha. Yeah, I am going to adjust the bears. It's the new terrain gen that makes them so rare. The american black bear is really quite good at climbing trees, but a large grizzly bear can be up to 680 kg, which is much too heavy to climb a tree (not counting the kodiak bears which are scary fucking huge, rivaling polar bears.)

Haha "rare" you say:D

I started a new world yesterday and ran into a..."small" group of 16 bears all together....that was kinda crazy:D

also:

for the herding mechanic...I bet you guys know the "Simply Horses" mod..

Those Horses travel in herds and they seem to travel around indefinetly!!

They breed, eat grass from the ground to replenish their health and stamina

AND have a Leader (the Stallion) which will attack you if you get too close too fast.

so maybe you should look into that mod a bit to see if you like the behavior;)

Not saying you should copy it but it's always good to see how others do stuff...the mod is finally 1.3.2 btw...so it's actually semicompatible with TFC

(i guess there will be the usual recipe issues..maybe spawning too)

Sidenote: The horses from that mod are modeled quite poorly...