Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dunkleosteus

Animals!

297 posts in this topic

I killed 4 cows and got 60 meat..I think thats to much for difficulty 3... food should be scarce and incentive to farm crops and breed animals to get more

I believe vanilla cow drops only 1-3 beef...same for pig... I like that better then a lot of beef and pigchops dropping...

:)

Thing is, new cows don't spawn like they do in vanilla. Cows spawn during world generation and that's all you have without breeding them. So you damn well better get lots of meat off those cows you kill, it's gonna have to last you a while, because breeding isn't a quick process.

(started writing this yesterday, forgot about it, came back just now and said, "eh, might as well post it")

Thinking this might be to complex but tame animals are not always Docile male cows "Bulls" usually get very protective of their herds may charge you if you walk in to their field un prepared you could get trampled momma cows will also at times if they are not fearfull of you charge you if they have little kalves to protect

Pigs this is from my rl experiense as i used to work with these male pigs are usually very inteligent and can become quite dangerous at a weight of 500kg (i do not know the english term for weight so it is in kilo) they can if you are not prepared bite you with 5 - 10 centimeter long tusks (yes tame pigs get tusks) and the momma pigs are no picknic either if they feel you are intruding on their piglets they will turn on you

Chickens Roosters are rather agressive about their hens and egg's collecting egg's from a hen can net you alot of scratches and a very agressive rooster chasing you some docile hens will ofc be more relaxed unless they are in "breeding mode" its called Skruk in danish where they will never leave the nest and they will attack if you try to force them

sheep rams if they do not fear you they will charge you ramming you female shee are usually more fearfull and usually more docile and i have not meet one that would ram me but im thinking they would if attacked usually they have a strong prey instinct witch is flee

the predators im not to certain how this would work but bears are if not provoked to much pretty neutral unless you get to close or they are very hungry atleast thats the bit i know about bears wolfs are already pretty well covered by the rest of you so i dont have much to add

this is just a few things i have been thinking while reading trough this tread and playing over some time and it only covers domesticated animals more or less bears being an exeption wild animals should either flee or charge you not much else for it but tame animals are not always "safe" to be around so these are my ideas

As I can tell, bears view humans as smaller bears. So they don't always want to fight, but if you're trying to sneak on their cubs or steal their territory, you're in a bad spot. I'm pretty sure you can't outrun a bear. At least horses can't.

the trick behind succesfully living next to animals is to not be a cunt!

Like this guy

Posted Image

... Sorry if this sounds racist, but i just... can't :

In soviet Russia, bears are mauled by people.

... Sorry if this sounds racist, but i just... can't :

In soviet Russia, bears are mauled by people.

Nah, I'm fine. I've seen things far more racist towards Russians than that from Russians themselves.

Nah, I'm fine. I've seen things far more racist towards Russians than that from Russians themselves.

That's actually not surprising... Apparently, there is no one best at critisicing a country and being racist towards it's inhabitants that... it's inhabitants :|

I think the spawn rate of all animals should be reduced further to just a few animals of the same type per biome. The cheese idea sounds great. and taming animals should be challenge.

That's actually not surprising... Apparently, there is no one best at critisicing a country and being racist towards it's inhabitants that... it's inhabitants :|

We actually racist as a whole towards bunch of different nationalities. It's not encouraged by any rate, but it's not really punished either. Except when you say a racist mum jokes out loud. But anyway.

I think the spawn rate of all animals should be reduced further to just a few animals of the same type per biome. The cheese idea sounds great. and taming animals should be challenge.

No-no. Animals live in big herds, making them more scarce could me somewhat good idea, but make it so they are spawn in less quantities is definitely not. And you already have problem with not being able to restock populations once they are extinct, let's not work towards that. I'd rather have bunch of animals of different types roaming around the map. It is also more believable, because without human hunting them animals are quite fond of multiplying and living in big groups. For the most part.

I'm pointing out to the history of America colonisation as the prime and - which is of most importance - written down examples.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and hope no one already posted this. I have to put it down here before I forget and I don't have time (right now but I will read ALL of this) to read before I post... But..

THE GROUP AI:

I was recently at a customer's house doing an install, and noticed the group of fowl in the yard roaming about the property... while staving off my craving for chicken wings, I noticed that the Rooster (mob would be painted brilliantly with deep green plumage and bright red wattle) kept a watchful eye over the hens. It went where they went... but when he went somewhere, they followed. Catch my drift?

Cows need a BULL! That is their "group control AI" so to speak.

Chickens need a Rooster.

Wolves need an Alpha.

Bears are only social during a certain time of the year (mating, and hunting right before hibernation), so they would each one have its own "group control AI" and wouldn't normally be found in groups as each one is only ever looking after its own care (or for its 1 to 3 young til they are a certain age).

A pride of cats need an alpha.

A herd of Urus (Auroch) needs a bull that can shame any Kodiak! These things need to be massive, and deadly! just look at what water buffalo can do when threatened. They are no joke.

Pigs, being a very intelligent animal, and quite friendly when domesticated, can become ferral and quite dangerous when they escape confinement and are released back out into the wild. These creatures are no joke either.

---So on and so forth. The group AI (the mass) would be controlled by the leader. Where it goes, they go. When it dies, they either scatter, or a new leader is "labeled" from the oldest eligible mob of the group.

GROUP LEADER:

--- A visual of the group's leader would let players know that a group of animals has a leader who will fight for its herd, rally its herd, and otherwise give all hell should the group become frustrated (ie: give warning sounds and animations).

--- a group having no group leader may make the herd more vulnerable/easier to tame.

---If a group goes without a leader, and another group is close by, the two groups could merge, and the leader is even stronger?

--- A groups leader has a strength which reflects the number of its herd. ie: a bull with 3 cows in its herd, is a little weaker than a bull who has had to fight off more challenges in a bigger herd to keep his dominance.

THE MIGRATORY EQUATION:

---bears hibernate... you won't see them in the winter. Cattle migrate to warmer climes. etc...

Another tell tale time of year could be the sounds and visuals heard in TFC in regards to animals.

Take for instance here in the NE U.S. It could be warm out and all is well as I go about my normal day, but hearing the Canadian geese overhead reminds me that fall is soon to approach, or Spring is here!!!

So.. yea... my point of this post, I guess, was to add to a herd/flock/gaggle/group or whatever, a controller. A mob that dictates the actions, movements, and social behavior of the other mobs in its group (for the most part), and a visual that sets it apart. (not to mention a visual that sets males apart from females in general (Bucks have antlers, Rosters have wattle, and alpha male wild cats (depending on what breed) might have a mane).

Seeing as there are 6 pages, this has probably been suggest but for herds:

Each animal has a lead animal that they will stay within, say, 20 blocks of. This lead animal will wander around, sometimes staying still, sometimes walking in a straight line for days on end. Possibly migration? This lead animal may also run away when one of it's herd gets attacked.

Most animals in a herd will have the same lead animal, but for babies it will be their mother.

Also, once wild animals that are free get far enough away, they will despawn, and animals will spawn at the edges of the loaded chunks, with the leading animal walking. This will make animals more mobile, so that when you find a herd of cows on the first day, when you go to breed them a year later, they aren't just 10 blocks away. You might see hundreds of cows off in the distance stampeding, and never see those cows again.

Seeing as there are 6 pages, this has probably been suggest but for herds:

Each animal has a lead animal that they will stay within, say, 20 blocks of. This lead animal will wander around, sometimes staying still, sometimes walking in a straight line for days on end. Possibly migration? This lead animal may also run away when one of it's herd gets attacked.

Most animals in a herd will have the same lead animal, but for babies it will be their mother.

Also, once wild animals that are free get far enough away, they will despawn, and animals will spawn at the edges of the loaded chunks, with the leading animal walking. This will make animals more mobile, so that when you find a herd of cows on the first day, when you go to breed them a year later, they aren't just 10 blocks away. You might see hundreds of cows off in the distance stampeding, and never see those cows again.

:| You don't even need to look all the thread to realise this was alredy suggested, look at the post just above yours...

Lol, I just realized that. wow. I read the first page then posted. Sorry.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and hope no one already posted this. I have to put it down here before I forget and I don't have time (right now but I will read ALL of this) to read before I post... But..

THE GROUP AI:

I was recently at a customer's house doing an install, and noticed the group of fowl in the yard roaming about the property... while staving off my craving for chicken wings, I noticed that the Rooster (mob would be painted brilliantly with deep green plumage and bright red wattle) kept a watchful eye over the hens. It went where they went... but when he went somewhere, they followed. Catch my drift?

Chickens need a Rooster.

Wolves need an Alpha.

Bears are only social during a certain time of the year (mating, and hunting right before hibernation), so they would each one have its own "group control AI" and wouldn't normally be found in groups as each one is only ever looking after its own care (or for its 1 to 3 young til they are a certain age).

A herd of Urus (Auroch) needs a bull that can shame any Kodiak! These things need to be massive, and deadly! just look at what water buffalo can do when threatened. They are no joke.

Pigs, being a very intelligent animal, and quite friendly when domesticated, can become ferral and quite dangerous when they escape confinement and are released back out into the wild. These creatures are no joke either.

---So on and so forth. The group AI (the mass) would be controlled by the leader. Where it goes, they go. When it dies, they either scatter, or a new leader is "labeled" from the oldest eligible mob of the group.

GROUP LEADER:

--- A visual of the group's leader would let players know that a group of animals has a leader who will fight for its herd, rally its herd, and otherwise give all hell should the group become frustrated (ie: give warning sounds and animations).

--- a group having no group leader may make the herd more vulnerable/easier to tame.

---If a group goes without a leader, and another group is close by, the two groups could merge, and the leader is even stronger?

--- A groups leader has a strength which reflects the number of its herd. ie: a bull with 3 cows in its herd, is a little weaker than a bull who has had to fight off more challenges in a bigger herd to keep his dominance.

THE MIGRATORY EQUATION:

---bears hibernate... you won't see them in the winter. Cattle migrate to warmer climes. etc...

Another tell tale time of year could be the sounds and visuals heard in TFC in regards to animals.

Take for instance here in the NE U.S. It could be warm out and all is well as I go about my normal day, but hearing the Canadian geese overhead reminds me that fall is soon to approach, or Spring is here!!!

So.. yea... my point of this post, I guess, was to add to a herd/flock/gaggle/group or whatever, a controller. A mob that dictates the actions, movements, and social behavior of the other mobs in its group (for the most part), and a visual that sets it apart. (not to mention a visual that sets males apart from females in general (Bucks have antlers, Rosters have wattle, and alpha male wild cats (depending on what breed) might have a mane).

I like how you're a developer too and are suggesting things like a regular user.

That's because he doesn't code :P(for this mod anyways...)

But you have something to say about his suggestion other than that, right?

To get back to the magnificient Elepthant you presented us earlier.

Is it going to have special behaviours? What I have in mind specifically is, will they be able to break blocks? I can imagine it would be easy to kill one with javelins or bow and arrow (/what ever that kills them from long range.) if the player can just mount a 1x1 block tower to rain death on them.

It would be cool if an elepthant in 'RAGE' could charge, breaking all trees and blocks that don't have any other blocks on their side on their path. An angered elepthant breaking down a wall would be awesome xd

To get back to the magnificient Elepthant you presented us earlier.

Is it going to have special behaviours? What I have in mind specifically is, will they be able to break blocks? I can imagine it would be easy to kill one with javelins or bow and arrow (/what ever that kills them from long range.) if the player can just mount a 1x1 block tower to rain death on them.

It would be cool if an elepthant in 'RAGE' could charge, breaking all trees and blocks that don't have any other blocks on their side on their path. An angered elepthant breaking down a wall would be awesome xd

an elephant? that'd be a bit unbelievable unless you place them in desert biomes, however you COULD add mammoths, pretending they DIDNT die out in the ice age and have them roam anywhere in the slightest bit cold, they'd be noticeable due to the massive vegetation they ate, which stripped everything except for old trees completely bare.

btw

THE GROUP AI:

Chickens need a Rooster.

Wolves need an Alpha.

GROUP LEADER:

THE MIGRATORY EQUATION:

can i plant this in the suggestions thread? cuz this is worthy of a thread in itself :D

an elephant? that'd be a bit unbelievable unless you place them in desert biomes, however you COULD add mammoths, pretending they DIDNT die out in the ice age and have them roam anywhere in the slightest bit cold, they'd be noticeable due to the massive vegetation they ate, which stripped everything except for old trees completely bare.

You know he is talking about a model Dunk is already making for an elephant, right? we aren't prehistoric. Or at least, not that far in the past. We will only get tech from the 16th century and before, so my guess is we are (basically) in the 16th century. May i ask, now that i said this, why a elephant isn't believable?

because the elephants never moved out of their natural habitat of beyond east europe until we made them, when we had ships, somewhere 19th century wouldv been the first opportunity for them

thats why i suggested they'd either be confined to deserts, or have some kind of logical explanation, it isnt believeable to have elephants in a medieval setting, (btw i was under the assumption TFC was between 1000 and 1500-ish in setting, the actual dark ages)

Edit: that assumption was based on someones comment in the crossbows thread

Elephants in deserts?

That's not a natural habitat for an elephant.

Try savannah.

Or a jungle.

We have jungle biomes.

yea well elephants roam some deserts (im not talking sahara style but african desert style) the word Desert encompasses too much for me to make my point clearly, you are correct but elephants wouldnt fit in the jungles gameplay wise, and im sure there will not be a new biome for 1 mob type, (until you guys are beyond true releases for the mod :D)

-brainfart due to shortage of sleep, ignore anything i say beyond this point-

because the elephants never moved out of their natural habitat of beyond east europe until we made them, when we had ships, somewhere 19th century wouldv been the first opportunity for them

thats why i suggested they'd either be confined to deserts, or have some kind of logical explanation, it isnt believeable to have elephants in a medieval setting, (btw i was under the assumption TFC was between 1000 and 1500-ish in setting, the actual dark ages)

Edit: that assumption was based on someones comment in the crossbows thread

http://en.wikipedia....ki/War_elephant

Based on your assumption, then, read this article. They where used in war between the time period you assumed true. It is believable to have them in medieval setting, it happened historically (and it's rare for something unbelievable to happen in real life, you know...)

yea well elephants roam some deserts (im not talking sahara style but african desert style) the word Desert encompasses too much for me to make my point clearly, you are correct but elephants wouldnt fit in the jungles gameplay wise, and im sure there will not be a new biome for 1 mob type, (until you guys are beyond true releases for the mod :D)

:| You know Sahara's dessert is african, right?

EDIT: and there aren't biomes at all. But we do have Kapok jungles in the equator, so there is no need to make a new "biome" to place them in.

Yeah, your "african desert" is a savannah xd

And honestly, I would love to see Savannah to be implemented. No, not for just one mob, but for plenty of mobs! Giraffes, zebras, at least lions, rhinos, elephants, hyenass, cheetah, crockodiles, gnu, gazella etc. etc.

And also to serve a very important (Too me) function of separating desert biomes from other biomes, so that a desert biomes would be surrounded by either ocean or savannah, eventually a jungle. Not an estern-european forest, or, gods forbid, a thundra! :o

Also, an elephant fits perfectly to a jungle biome, especially since leafes don't have colliders anymore.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/War_elephant

Based on your assumption, then, read this article. They where used in war between the time period you assumed true. It is believable to have them in medieval setting, it happened historically (and it's rare for something unbelievable to happen in real life, you know...)

:| You know Sahara's dessert is african, right?

EDIT: and there aren't biomes at all. But we do have Kapok jungles in the equator, so there is no need to make a new "biome" to place them in.

ok here we go:

they were used during those time periods and before that by the persians, but i was under the assumption (based off of my own brain) that we were more leaning towards medieval Europe and not Asia/Middle East, base for this was the bears and deers upcoming, the multiple types of stone, and the mettalurgy with maces and swords as opposed to scimitars and stuff like that.

second quote:

yes i knew sahara is african but it doesnt have the Africa feel, its more of a OMG BURN IT ALL TO DEATH desert, the africa savanne has some deserts that are a lot more mild than the Sahara (though in no sense normal) where elephants do roam.

and we do have biomes in a sense, the height limit changes it: the closer to equator = hotter biome's (as far as i've noticed) its just a lot more logical and equalized.