Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firstdeathmaker

Weaving and Dyeing

50 posts in this topic

It could be wood items... Requiring metal tools to craft... I.e chisel. A loom isn't crucial... So it will probly be ignored until most people start getting alloys.

Any I was thinking... You should be able to weave silk carpets with spidy silk.you know to show of how many sliders you killed... But it would have to take a deasent number.

I'd like to make it sort of before you have a lot of metal tools, but after the early game.

I'm bumping this thread to ask a question of the TFC community and, more specifically, the developers...

I am currently working on a mod for personal use along the lines of this suggestion which, in its released incarnation, will be one that is fully compatible with TFC but only uses Vanilla items. It won't modify any base classes (although it will use Forge code to replace existing recipes if I can get it to work right) and won't contain or overwrite any TFC functionality, with one exception listed below. The idea behind the mod will be to make wool and dyes something that take a lot more preparation to fit the theme of TFC. I'd love to expand the color options as well, but I don't foresee that being something I can do without modifying core classes, which I don't want to do in order to maintain compatibility.

Here is a basic rundown of what the mod's functions are:

1) Create a spinning wheel that will work much like TFC's quern to spin string into wool; the conversion rate would be 8 string to make 1 wool, and the spinning wheel will have a moving part that takes damage and will need to be replaced over time (again based around TFC's quern)

2) Change sheep drops, both from kills and shearing, to be string instead of wool * This is the one exception I mentioned, as it would be changing the functionality of sheep kills and shears.

3) Make standard wool blocks unable to be dyed with the standard recipe

4) Create a custom dyeing pot with a furnace-like GUI, which will be crafted using clay (current model will be hardened by leaving out in the sun like Millenaire's mud bricks) and fueled with sticks + water, and will have slots for dye ingredients along with the desired amount of string. Over a period of 12 Minecraft hours, assuming a valid GUI recipe was put in, the sticks and water will be used up to turn the string into dyed string (and thus spinning dyed string into wool will create the colored wool)

Now for my question to the TFC community: Is this something you would all be interested in having? I am designing the mod specifically to fit the theme of TFC, while maintaining total compatibility with vanilla and not interfering with TFC itself (since it is still in beta after all). I'm a huge fan of TFC's approach to the game, making it lean a little more towards realism without going to the extreme, and making finished products require more time and effort to make than simply plopping a couple items into the crafting interface. As I mentioned, this mod is being built for personal use right now, but if the TFC community is interested in it, I can put it up for you guys to download once it's all finished up.

And my question to the TFC developers:

My vision for this mod is to ultimately make use of various TFC mechanics, but I am respecting Bioxx's wishes to not directly mod TFC or use its components since it's still very much in developmental beta. Here are the specific TFC mechanics I'd love to make use of:

-Change dyeing pot mechanics to "start" by using a TFC firestarter

-Incorporate various TFC items into the recipes, such as lemons for acidic fixing solutions and knives for cutting plant petals

So, with that in mind, would you (the developers) be interested in incorporating this into a future build of TFC or into the work-in-progress TFC2 once I have everything working and bug tested? I would be more than happy to provide the source code to you, even a modified version of the source code with the foundation of the changes to make it use TFC mechanics so all you'd have to do is pretty much fill in the correct ItemIDs and add a block of code to the right click function of the firestarter.

Better wool then string sheep don't wear string! (lol) Btw for the rest of you ! : Wool should be an item that is crafted , i mean it is an epic building block and shouldn't be left out . Also maybe sandstone should be adapted to TFC Dunk????

You could add saws as well... Like you need chisel and saw to make all the components. I.e. like IRL you would need a saw to make good quality furniture.

Maybe blueprints for each part. It is a complex machine after all... And the after you've made/chiseled all part you can make a loom.

---as I said... Add enough complication and add more "important goals" it'll most like get ignored for a while. As is its a more decorative thing.

There is a saw already inplemented "-.- :/

There is a saw already inplemented "-.- :/

I know but currently saws only make planks....

But, you could make a "Saw,chisel" crafting combos... as well as with blueprints. It'd like you were Lenardo Da Vinci. You could also add spider string required for some of the binding or something too.

Better wool then string sheep don't wear string! (lol) Btw for the rest of you ! : Wool should be an item that is crafted , i mean it is an epic building block and shouldn't be left out .

How about you get raw wool from sheep... which is like (freshly picked cotton)... absolutely no use... not even place-able as a block. Then you can put it through a loom, and the look well make carpets which you can stack to make blocks. This would encourage sheep farming later in the game.... for those who like you using wool as a building material.

Dunk did say he was going to make several types of bed (each with different crafting recipes, and differing appearances)... and with no real bonuses... right?

fuck wool building blocks. That was always silly. I'll see if I can make wool cloth placeable for carpets or something, but not wool blocks.

Really dude????That kind of makes me sad :(

fuck wool building blocks. That was always silly. I'll see if I can make wool cloth placeable for carpets or something, but not wool blocks.

You could have 'em as storage blocks... hardcore pixel artists won't like you taking away their wool blocks :(

They would still be used as pixel art, you would just have to have a surface already there to place them on.

first of all, why are pixel artists building in TFC... second, if they go in creative, the blocks will still be there...

Hey, been busy for the last couple of days, just getting around to reading the latest replies. I'm holding off on doing anything with the dyeing for now until I get a more solid wool-working mechanic in place. After doing a good bit of research over the weekend, I felt that the kind of weaving loom that would be most accessible in TFC would be a back-strap loom (video of one being used in the links below). The general process I have in mind of going from sheep to usable wool would be:

1) Collect "fleece" from sheep; like with wool currently, more can be obtained with shears than killing

2) Scouring (cleaning the fleece) would be done using a clay boiling pot, which I've narrowed down to using sticks and water and starting with a torch

3) Build a wool picker (separates coarse fibers out of the wool) with wood blocks and sticks, which cleaned fleece can be used on to make rough wool

4) Build a spindle with a wood block and a stick, and then rough wool can be combined with the spindle to make spools of yarn

5) Build a back-strap loom with strings and sticks, which is used to slowly weave yarn into wool (plain blocks would be vanilla, in TFC it'd be wool fabric that could be used as the foundation for the uses Dunk mentioned)

The only part I am a bit unsatisfied with in the process is the construction of the picker. In pretty much every article I've found on it, pickers are made with metal picks. That would be fine for vanilla, but I'm not certain I would want to wait all the way to having metal before I can have a bed in TFC. Perhaps a good compromise here would be adding some sort of makeshift bedding that's made with sticks and whatnot that could be used to set spawn points, but not sleep (since setting the spawn point is what I care more about early on than being able to sleep the nights away).

Anyway, that's sort of the process flow I'm working out right now. Here's a few links to some of the articles/videos I used for research for any interested:

Back-strap Loom: youtube.com/watch?v=66tYpOoHYXg

Scouring Fleece: http://cricklewoodfarm.com/blog/?p=268

Overall Process: http://mylittlesheep...eparingWool.htm

Picking/Carding Wool: http://www.woolery.c...-Carder-d11.htm

[Edit] Removed direct link to youtube video, as I couldn't get it to not be tagged as media and show the video in-post.

You probably wouldn't for the time being... Not until you can make "beds" out of something else besides wool. It's hard to build shelters and make them "safe" from mobs in 1 day... If not impossible... Well I can't do it anyway. I'm actually thankful I don't have Somnia or I would never get anywhere.

Well Dunk there are pixel artist in TFC because they like TFC and you couldn't build in survival with wool , also its not that hard to maybe make a wool block stay like for storage , i mean iron block's are used for storage in vanilla but are still used for building blocks , it wouldn't be that hard to keep wool in the mod .

The pixel artist part was a joke... But we certainly COULD have wool blocks as a storage block...

I'm nearly finished with the wool system anyways, so suggesting anything further won't do much

That sucks .........for modern builds. :P

It feels like I'm digging a corpse here, but I've came across an other cool mod that uses wool. It's called Small Boats or Elegant Punt I believe. Now, it'd be nice to have it in TFC, but it did not  work.

So I've looked up what you've done, dunkleosteus, and I get it. You've added WoolCloth as an ItemTerra.

I'm still getting familiar with the source code. So here's my question.

Why, can't be WoolCloth an extension of vanilla BlockWool?

I'm guessing BlockWool, has a lot of functionality that we don't need for WoolCloth.

That leads me to another issue.

Can it be hacked somehow?

I mean if there's a way to have WoolCloth function as BlockWool in other mods.

Example, recipe for  BlockWool could be added, maybe 9 WoolYarns, or something including an ItemSpindle.

Ok, sorry, my bad, reading previous conversation it's obvious that  the actual BlockWool is gone for good in this mod, and I'm all for it.

But still for compatibility something needs to be done, in my opinion. And this is just one little thing there's a lot to do in this ball park.

While I'm at it, let me ask one more thing.

What are the future plan regarding compatibility with other mods and in general?

Though I'm not sure what could mean compatibility in general, but, oh well, with other mods then anyway.

Thanks.

It feels like I'm digging a corpse here, but I've came across an other cool mod that uses wool. It's called Small Boats or Elegant Punt I believe. Now, it'd be nice to have it in TFC, but it did not  work.

So I've looked up what you've done, dunkleosteus, and I get it. You've added WoolCloth as an ItemTerra.

I'm still getting familiar with the source code. So here's my question.

Why, can't be WoolCloth an extension of vanilla BlockWool?

I'm guessing BlockWool, has a lot of functionality that we don't need for WoolCloth.

That leads me to another issue.

Can it be hacked somehow?

I mean if there's a way to have WoolCloth function as BlockWool in other mods.

Example, recipe for  BlockWool could be added, maybe 9 WoolYarns, or something including an ItemSpindle.

Ok, sorry, my bad, reading previous conversation it's obvious that  the actual BlockWool is gone for good in this mod, and I'm all for it.

But still for compatibility something needs to be done, in my opinion. And this is just one little thing there's a lot to do in this ball park.

While I'm at it, let me ask one more thing.

What are the future plan regarding compatibility with other mods and in general?

Though I'm not sure what could mean compatibility in general, but, oh well, with other mods then anyway.

Thanks.

WoolCloth can't extend BlockWool because WoolCloth is an item and BlockWool is a block. Hope this helps :)

WoolCloth can't extend BlockWool because WoolCloth is an item and BlockWool is a block. Hope this helps :)

Sorry, not really. It's an answer of course, but I thought I've already had another one for that particular question.

What I'm thinking, it might be stupid, but still,  whether an ItemTerra can be registered as a BlockWool.

Maybe if WoolCloth would extend  BlockWool override functionalities, and implement ItemTerra.

Now, is this possible? Could it work?

It would be nice to kind 'o warp WoolCloth as a BlockWool. That way it still would be an ItemTerra, but could act as a BlockWool in recipes.

I know java programmers hate multiple inheritance. Well what else can be done?

yknow what would be cool, is if you could make cloth sheets, and then place them kind of like glass panes, to make cloth walls, ala nomadic canvas homes

I don't know how vanilla implements "carpets", but one of the recent updates has those. I doubt that they can replace wool in recipes. But that'd be great. I think I should check it out.

yknow what would be cool, is if you could make cloth sheets, and then place them kind of like glass panes, to make cloth walls, ala nomadic canvas homes

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

expanding that, it could be used to make beds, light clothing ect..... oh and we should also be able to make paper walls...

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

expanding that, it could be used to make beds, light clothing ect..... oh and we should also be able to make paper walls...

I'm not sure that I follow you, but yeah I'm suggesting something like that. Still I'm a bit sceptical, since I'm not sure how that works or was implemented (coded, programmed ... ). It would be not very useful in the terms of compatibility if Carpets ( vanilla 1.6.1 ) are not replacing wool in recipes.

yeah i kinda see where you are coming from... and i don't really think it will happen as im sure carpets will probably get reworked themselves to fit TFC if not removed

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0