Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firstdeathmaker

Weaving and Dyeing

50 posts in this topic

Hello there,

here is my small suggestion which I think might be nice and not too hard to implement:

Today when I started a new Game with the current version and after slaying some sheep to get the whool for a bed, I thought of this beeing still very unrealistic. In real you would have to gather the raw whool, had to wash it, comb it, maybe dye it and than you would have to spin it in order to weave it to get a nice sheet or other stuff. Okay, that might be a bit too much for the game mechanics, but what would be about:

1. [Raw Whool] + [spinning Wheel] -> Spinning -> [Cloth]

2. [Cloth] replaces whool in the bed recipe

3. [Cloth] can be dyed with natural occuring dyes (berries, ocre maybe?)

Maybe you could even make it possible to create some cool decorative blocks like a carpet block?

-snip-

Oversuggested, and the devs have a lot on their plates right now.

Welcome to the forums.

Ah, alright, I didn't see it in the Suggestions Thread Directory so I thought it wasn't posted. Sorry.

Im following this mod now already a long time, its nice to see it becoming better and much more stable ;)

Ah, alright, I didn't see it in the Suggestions Thread Directory so I thought it wasn't posted. Sorry.

Im following this mod now already a long time, its nice to see it becoming better and much more stable ;)

yeah i remember the good ol buggy ol days of TFC

Just so you know, this mod is going for believability.

BTW, welcome to the forums, I'm the forum's official suggestion stalker

Hmm, thanks.

During my last hollidays I visited an Opal Mine and also a Goldmine. So im just wondering that I find tons of opal in my Sluices :)

And also in the opal mine which was located only 25 Meters under ground in limestone layers they didn't use any supports at all since that rock is so hard it doesn't need any. Just regarding believability...

Hmm, thanks.

During my last hollidays I visited an Opal Mine and also a Goldmine. So im just wondering that I find tons of opal in my Sluices :)

And also in the opal mine which was located only 25 Meters under ground in limestone layers they didn't use any supports at all since that rock is so hard it doesn't need any. Just regarding believability...

well gems will definitely be changed because currently they just randomly drop from certain rocks

Very true, I would believe some sone being able to hold itself up...

Maybe certain rock types and formations would strengthen holds

Just so you know, this mod is going for believability.

BTW, welcome to the forums, I'm the forum's official suggestion stalker

"official"? you have 36 posts.....

Stalker, not commentator.

I understand it's an over-suggested idea, but I also would love to see some form of fibercrafting in the future. I'm a spinner/knitter who's dabbled in dyeing, weaving, and sewing, and in theory it wouldn't be too resource-heavy to set up a simple cloth manufacturing rig. All you need for spinning is either a stick and a rock for a drop spindle, or two sticks/one large stick for a navajo lap spindle. A board and a few sticks would make a simple backstrap loom, which can make surprisingly wide widths of fabric. A bone and a knife could easily make a needle, or knitting needles, which produce small items like socks/boots/hats more easily than weaving.

Again, I understand that it's an often-suggested idea, but I do definitely think it has merit.

Damnit Dunk, jacked my post bro

I said "stalker" a in "silently watching for over 3 months"

and now it's creepy...

Hey, 1SDAN? If you want to be the "suggestion stalker", don't post and use the little "Like This" button. That is more in fitting with "Stalker".

Hey! GTFO, It's MY job to be creepy as hell D:< (?)

Now seriously, that makes me wonder... what made you break the silence by saying the phrase "and this is why realitycraft is better"? I mean, what was in your mind when you just decided "let's post this"?

Now seriously, that makes me wonder... what made you break the silence by saying the phrase "and this is why realitycraft is better"? I mean, what was in your mind when you just decided "let's post this"?

I would also like to have this information in my brain cage.

I'm bumping this thread to ask a question of the TFC community and, more specifically, the developers...

I am currently working on a mod for personal use along the lines of this suggestion which, in its released incarnation, will be one that is fully compatible with TFC but only uses Vanilla items. It won't modify any base classes (although it will use Forge code to replace existing recipes if I can get it to work right) and won't contain or overwrite any TFC functionality, with one exception listed below. The idea behind the mod will be to make wool and dyes something that take a lot more preparation to fit the theme of TFC. I'd love to expand the color options as well, but I don't foresee that being something I can do without modifying core classes, which I don't want to do in order to maintain compatibility.

Here is a basic rundown of what the mod's functions are:

1) Create a spinning wheel that will work much like TFC's quern to spin string into wool; the conversion rate would be 8 string to make 1 wool, and the spinning wheel will have a moving part that takes damage and will need to be replaced over time (again based around TFC's quern)

2) Change sheep drops, both from kills and shearing, to be string instead of wool * This is the one exception I mentioned, as it would be changing the functionality of sheep kills and shears.

3) Make standard wool blocks unable to be dyed with the standard recipe

4) Create a custom dyeing pot with a furnace-like GUI, which will be crafted using clay (current model will be hardened by leaving out in the sun like Millenaire's mud bricks) and fueled with sticks + water, and will have slots for dye ingredients along with the desired amount of string. Over a period of 12 Minecraft hours, assuming a valid GUI recipe was put in, the sticks and water will be used up to turn the string into dyed string (and thus spinning dyed string into wool will create the colored wool)

Now for my question to the TFC community: Is this something you would all be interested in having? I am designing the mod specifically to fit the theme of TFC, while maintaining total compatibility with vanilla and not interfering with TFC itself (since it is still in beta after all). I'm a huge fan of TFC's approach to the game, making it lean a little more towards realism without going to the extreme, and making finished products require more time and effort to make than simply plopping a couple items into the crafting interface. As I mentioned, this mod is being built for personal use right now, but if the TFC community is interested in it, I can put it up for you guys to download once it's all finished up.

And my question to the TFC developers:

My vision for this mod is to ultimately make use of various TFC mechanics, but I am respecting Bioxx's wishes to not directly mod TFC or use its components since it's still very much in developmental beta. Here are the specific TFC mechanics I'd love to make use of:

-Change dyeing pot mechanics to "start" by using a TFC firestarter

-Incorporate various TFC items into the recipes, such as lemons for acidic fixing solutions and knives for cutting plant petals

So, with that in mind, would you (the developers) be interested in incorporating this into a future build of TFC or into the work-in-progress TFC2 once I have everything working and bug tested? I would be more than happy to provide the source code to you, even a modified version of the source code with the foundation of the changes to make it use TFC mechanics so all you'd have to do is pretty much fill in the correct ItemIDs and add a block of code to the right click function of the firestarter.

I'm bumping this thread to ask a question of the TFC community and, more specifically, the developers...

I am currently working on a mod for personal use along the lines of this suggestion which, in its released incarnation, will be one that is fully compatible with TFC but only uses Vanilla items. It won't modify any base classes (although it will use Forge code to replace existing recipes if I can get it to work right) and won't contain or overwrite any TFC functionality, with one exception listed below. The idea behind the mod will be to make wool and dyes something that take a lot more preparation to fit the theme of TFC. I'd love to expand the color options as well, but I don't foresee that being something I can do without modifying core classes, which I don't want to do in order to maintain compatibility.

Here is a basic rundown of what the mod's functions are:

1) Create a spinning wheel that will work much like TFC's quern to spin string into wool; the conversion rate would be 8 string to make 1 wool, and the spinning wheel will have a moving part that takes damage and will need to be replaced over time (again based around TFC's quern)

I like the general idea behind this, but in my opinion, instead of string becoming wool, make string become silk or cloth

2) Change sheep drops, both from kills and shearing, to be string instead of wool * This is the one exception I mentioned, as it would be changing the functionality of sheep kills and shears.

Again, like the direction you are going here, but I would keep wool as sheep drops, but require that it be processed in some manner. Having grown up in sheep country (my high school mascot was literally the Sheep Herders), I can say that string does not equal wool. And sheep are dirty creatures and sheering is dirty work. So, it makes more sense to me to have wool drop, but require some cleaning/processing.

3) Make standard wool blocks unable to be dyed with the standard recipe

4) Create a custom dyeing pot with a furnace-like GUI, which will be crafted using clay (current model will be hardened by leaving out in the sun like Millenaire's mud bricks) and fueled with sticks + water, and will have slots for dye ingredients along with the desired amount of string. Over a period of 12 Minecraft hours, assuming a valid GUI recipe was put in, the sticks and water will be used up to turn the string into dyed string (and thus spinning dyed string into wool will create the colored wool)

Would you mind explaining more the reasons behind each facet of this process. In my opinion I would require a mortar and pestle to crush die ingredients (such as cactus greens or roses) and then have the furnace-like thing be a bloomery-like thing, only you drop the dye, a bucket of water, and the wool/fabric into it and have to wait for the results.

Now for my question to the TFC community: Is this something you would all be interested in having? I am designing the mod specifically to fit the theme of TFC, while maintaining total compatibility with vanilla and not interfering with TFC itself (since it is still in beta after all). I'm a huge fan of TFC's approach to the game, making it lean a little more towards realism without going to the extreme, and making finished products require more time and effort to make than simply plopping a couple items into the crafting interface. As I mentioned, this mod is being built for personal use right now, but if the TFC community is interested in it, I can put it up for you guys to download once it's all finished up.

And my question to the TFC developers:

My vision for this mod is to ultimately make use of various TFC mechanics, but I am respecting Bioxx's wishes to not directly mod TFC or use its components since it's still very much in developmental beta. Here are the specific TFC mechanics I'd love to make use of:

-Change dyeing pot mechanics to "start" by using a TFC firestarter

-Incorporate various TFC items into the recipes, such as lemons for acidic fixing solutions and knives for cutting plant petals

So, with that in mind, would you (the developers) be interested in incorporating this into a future build of TFC or into the work-in-progress TFC2 once I have everything working and bug tested? I would be more than happy to provide the source code to you, even a modified version of the source code with the foundation of the changes to make it use TFC mechanics so all you'd have to do is pretty much fill in the correct ItemIDs and add a block of code to the right click function of the firestarter.

Overall I like the general direction of this, but there would be a few changes I would personally make to the processes.

2) Change sheep drops, both from kills and shearing, to be string instead of wool

No, have them still drop the wool blocks, just have those blocks be unplaceable. Then using the block in the spinning wheel, you get a wool slab(covering?/carpeting?/wall hanging?). Or if you want to go more in-depth, wool block in a spinning wheel to × wool threads, then × wool threads make a wool slab. Maybe combining the threads needs yet another device.

The wool slab can be placed and would cover a block surface(16×16 pixels) but would only be one pixel deep. No more two block deep floors just to have carpets.

If I ever do any ancient textiles research I'll come back and make this better.

No, have them still drop the wool blocks, just have those blocks be unplaceable. Then using the block in the spinning wheel, you get a wool slab(covering?/carpeting?/wall hanging?). Or if you want to go more in-depth, wool block in a spinning wheel to × wool threads, then × wool threads make a wool slab. Maybe combining the threads needs yet another device.

The wool slab can be placed and would cover a block surface(16×16 pixels) but would only be one pixel deep. No more two block deep floors just to have carpets.

If I ever do any ancient textiles research I'll come back and make this better.

Stole the words out of my mouth.

@WildFire: I agree with your suggestions. Ideally, that's sort of the end goal I wanted to strive for, where there's different types of fabric (adding cotton and hemp crops in addition to wool) that all have their owns means of processing into usable pieces. I wanted to start off simple, though, adding only a handful of new blocks and items. The reason for that is that there's still a lot of room for TFC to grow, so I wanted to as few block/item IDs as I could get away with without diminishing the feel too much. Over time, that's ultimately where I want it to end up. On the dyeing pot question, since I want to work with vanilla items that are available in TFC, I opted for not processing them further; processing further with things like mortar and pestle or tree bark scraping would be something I'd like to see if it is integrated with TFC to make use of TFC's tools and resources instead. As far as the mechanics of it go, admittedly, I have no idea how to code a dynamic interface like TFC's bloomeries and such so I limited myself to what I know can I pull off. :P

@Biodigious: My response to WildFire covers my approach on the sheep drops; as far as the slabs and such, I will include a slab-style block in addition to the normal one (only because I know a lot of people like to use the full blocks to make things like decorative wall art).

I've been doing a good bit of research on various cultures' methods for producing fabric throughout history in the process to base the methods and recipes off of. Reiterating what I said about limiting the number of new blocks/items, I'll be trying to add as little as possible in the initial release. As time goes on and we get closer to a more complete launch of TFC (or if the devs decide to absorb this project into TFC to go with their own approaches on it), things will get more in-depth.

I support the idea of a loom. Wool should be an item instead of a block, then be refined in a loom. One wool from a sheep say, in a loom would give four pieces of cloth or fabric. Four pieces of fabric would make a block. Obviously there should be more fabric stuff, carpets, clothes, etc.

If you visited IRC yesterday, you would have found me discussing this. Not entirely sure how loom GUI should look or how it should be crafted; I don't want it to be only wood items because it could be crafted to early.

It could be wood items... Requiring metal tools to craft... I.e chisel. A loom isn't crucial... So it will probly be ignored until most people start getting alloys.

Any I was thinking... You should be able to weave silk carpets with spidy silk.you know to show of how many sliders you killed... But it would have to take a deasent number.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0