Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aariq

Does depth matter?

10 posts in this topic

I know that rock layer matters for ore generation, but does depth also matter (like in vanilla minecraft)? For example, if I am hoping to find malachite, am I better off running around on the surface looking for limestone rocks, or should I dig down and find a limestone layer deep underground and create a branch mine?

Yes it does matters, bigger clusters are deep down.

I do know that malachite in particular is best found deep deep underground. Like, well into the third rock layer. It's also very rare. For your information, the only ores commonly found In the first rock layer is the starter metals and some copper. For anything else you should atleast be digging in the second layer around Y 80. You will run into way more epic cave systems at Y 40 and below however. Beware of lava and happy mining!

Malachite, one of the copper ores, is the rarest of the copper ores. your better off looking for native copper or tetrahedrite, if it indeed is copper you want.

Basically, ores can spawn any depth, some metals that count as "starter metals" also have a larger chance of spawning near the surface.

The generation of ores follow these basic rules, metal bearing ores spawn in starbutsts, having a large core with thin "arms" spreading outwards, the deeper the ore is spawned the bigger the deposit. However the deeper into the earth the ore spawns the more uncommon is it to find the veins. That being said, since the deeper the ore spawns it spawns larger "arms" it has it is usually easier to locate the ore while mining.

Branch-mining in TFC should be spread out way thinner than in vanilla MC since you have a prospector's pick, so atleast 12 space in between each coridor and hitting the walls here and there with a propick should tell you where no ore is to be found.

If you look up top near the surface you might find malachite, but the ore spawns there are very limited in the amount of ore you will get, but it is less work than mining in the depths.

I do know that malachite in particular is best found deep deep underground. Like, well into the third rock layer.

Nooooooooo. Please it's not a game of numbers. Be...please...more generic because now I know something that I should not know.

Who helps me forget?

Who helps me forget?

Somebody said "hit my head repetidely with a hammer until i forget even my name"? :3 *Takes his hammer*

EDIT: But yeah, Flamestrider is right for what i can tell : the only time i found malachite, was because i fell into a MASSIVE cave which's walls were mostly made of this. It was freakin epic, and would have been better if a creeper hadn't killed me latter :

Nooooooooo. Please it's not a game of numbers. Be...please...more generic because now I know something that I should not know.

Who helps me forget?

Mr. Daniels will help you forget. Though to be fair, if you're not minecrafting with him around you're basically already playing on easy mode.

Mr. Daniels will help you forget. Though to be fair, if you're not minecrafting with him around you're basically already playing on easy mode.

Mmh...I never play easy mode. NEVER. Hard, because hardcore is a waste of time and good maps.

Who helps me forget?

? I never said anything even remotely close to numbers? I said that it's found deep underground... That's just TFC geology. Same thing as knowing what rocks ore can be found in really. Personally I like knowing a lot as long as it's observable in game and not numbers or from the source code. It helps me stay efficient and have fun. The TFC system is so much more interactive and harder to exploit then vanilla I'm not worried about ruining anything.

Besides, like I said, TFC geology is fascinating! For instance, did you know that magnetite is often considered rare because it is uasually found as a 'mixed ore' in superclusters of saltpeter or coal ores? And that native platinum is rare because it is only found in OTHER ore veins such as olivine and magnetite?

I also know other secrets, but I will not say them here. However everything I know is in game observable! I do not look at the source code.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0