Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lothair

experimenting with sluices, bug, un-wiki'd change, or did i break it?

9 posts in this topic

So i found this mod late last week and have been enjoying the daylights out of it since then, outstanding work.

Have been toying around with sluices for the last couple days and wanted to clarify a couple things.

Wiki, forum posts, and youtube clips all indicate sluices have to be within the boundaries of a river biome to work, but with changelog indicating worldgen no longer uses vanilla-defined biomes, was wondering if that is still accurate.

have started around half a dozen game worlds, switched to creative, and flown around a bit, and so far the only areas where F3 says I'm in a river on any of those worlds has been very small water bodies at most 2 deep, and never more than two land blocks away from the water surface.

Haven't found anything labeled as river any larger than around 9x9, none more than 3 blocks deep. I even found one that had a single 4-block deep spot, and in that specific spot it said ocean, heh.

around each of these, i seem to get 2 land blocks of 'river', outlined by 2-5 blocks of 'swamp', then whatever predominant terrain type it happens to be in.

I ran a little experiment this morning, started a new world and used creative to cheat up 7 basic straight line sluices. F3 says the entire length of all seven is within a hills biome.

I know for a fact there's ore nearby, because the very first rock i broke (one block from the first sluice, 2 blocks from the edge of the min-river) gave me sphalerite

filled those with gravel from a mini-river about 5 blocks from the nearest sluice and kept them full for the next 30 minutes before i had to leave for work.

in that time, the sluices produced i think around 8 gems, but no ore.

i was actually kind of suprised at the number it cranked out in that short a time, but is it wierd that gravel returned nothing but gems when ore within range is guaranteed?

Well, I didn't find on the wiki where it said sluices had to be in a river biome (though I really only checked the sluice page); but just FYI, it was just gold panning that had to be done in the river, sluices could be place in any region.

As for your results, doesn't seem too surprising, though perhaps a bit unfortunate. To me it would appear that they had 'recently' been nerfed, so I had ceased construction of my sluice facility. My suggestion would be to just pick up the small nuggets off the ground (marking where you find several of them), and just get your starter metals that way. It'll be a lot faster exploring a bit, then dumping tons of gravel in the sluices while waiting days for just a few small nuggets.

yeah i get that a bit of luck running around punching rocks would probably get me my ore faster, but i have a tendency to start a dozen projects at once, so i still grab rocks when and where i can, but im usually doing so in route to another job

i was really thinking of using sluices really just to passively shorten how long it takes to get into metal, toss in some gravel so it can be skimming that while im working on other things, ie getting some crops going, setting up the starter cattle/chicken ranch, getting an idea of where i'll be mining once i get that pick, etc

I recently started playing as well. I'm pretty sure your sluice doesn't need to be on a river - mine was on an ocean shore. Although it was slow going, I did get ore from my sluices. It took awhile, but I eventually got enough sphalerite to forge some tools. It's odd that you got eight gems without any ore, but I suppose you might just have had bad luck.

Yah, I too enjoyed passively getting ore from the sluices, while doing actual work. It's just that the last few times I have set them up, they've produced soo poorly that I could easily acquire more nuggets in the time it took to setup the sluices, fill them up and check on them.

If you have 10 sluices set up u would get a bunch of ore...

Bumping this because it's not that old. I was trying to setup a sluice system to get some nickel, since I found some but it's so little that I want to find a way to get a lot more. Anyway, I built 8 sluices above where the nickel is, 16 blocks above to be exact (yay red steel bucket), but there's also sphalerite nearby. It seems like all I get is sphalerite. I've gotten 32 pieces of sphalerite so far and a crap load of gems, but not a single piece of garnierite.

So does anyone know if sluices can return more than one ore type? Anyone ever gotten two different kinds of ore from a sluice? Can I actually get nickel from a sluice?

So does anyone know if sluices can return more than one ore type? Anyone ever gotten two different kinds of ore from a sluice? Can I actually get nickel from a sluice?

Previously you've been able to get more then one type of ore from sluices, though unsure if anything has changed in regards to that.

As for the nickel, I've never gotten anything but starter metals, but I recall people saying they could get gold and such from underground sluices (and to use them to prospect the area). So I'd image your able to, but I don't have any 1st hand experience there.

I'm guessing you can't get nickel from a sluice. This setup hasn't given me any garnierite, and it's right there. I guess it's fine, this kind of seems like cheating anyway. Although maybe if I was sluicing the surrounding rock that would make sense... we should be able to break cobble with a hammer and then throw it in the sluice.

Posted Image

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0