Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1SDAN

Unofficial SMP Trades Thread

36 posts in this topic

this thread makes my toes hurt, I think i'll leave you guys to your discussion ;)

... you sure you posted that in the correct thread? 'cause Srg(noodles) hasn't posted in this thread yet ._. ...

Ah yes whoops, I meant achartran. I will fix that

Maybe we could have genetics for plants and animals (like the genetics thread states) so that breeding animals into those preffered could be a trade/proffession.

Maybe we could have genetics for plants and animals (like the genetics thread states) so that breeding animals into those preffered could be a trade/proffession.

The traits would probably be size(obvious), skin-fat ratio (for ratio of leather dropped to meat), speed, aggressiveness, and gender.

Or at least, that's what I can think of

The traits would probably be size(obvious), skin-fat ratio (for ratio of leather dropped to meat), speed, aggressiveness, and gender.

Or at least, that's what I can think of

...how is gender a 'trait' in this sense?

You can't breed to eventually get a higher selection of a certain gender. It's 50/50 in all cases.

...how is gender a 'trait' in this sense?

You can't breed to eventually get a higher selection of a certain gender. It's 50/50 in all cases.

I didn't mean a "trait" as in something you can breed for, I meant a trait as in the actual characteristics of the specific animal. (on a side note, I should have probably included species.) I guess you could also look at it that way (the way you did). But yeah.

I guess you could also call them variables.

In my list, all of those traits could be bred for except for gender.

Gender is in fact a trait(albeit one defined rather indirectly), and is not 50/50. A male carries XY chromosomes. The sperm from a male only carries one of these over to the females Egg. If a male were to produce statistically more X then Y sperm cells, then when paired with a females eggs they would produce XX (Females) at a statistically hirer rate.

On another note: why does this topic exist? Its a discussion about discussions...

Gender is in fact a trait(albeit one defined rather indirectly), and is not 50/50. A male carries XY chromosomes. The sperm from a male only carries one of these over to the females Egg. If a male were to produce statistically more X then Y sperm cells, then when paired with a females eggs they would produce XX (Females) at a statistically hirer rate.

On another note: why does this topic exist? Its a discussion about discussions...

Unless the guy has chimeric balls with female cells, or another disorder like klienfelters which affects the number of sex chromosomes, you cannot 'produce' one or the other at a statistically higher rate. The process of meiosis by which sperm are created split the parent cell's chromosomes in half - the x goes to one sperm, the y to the other. Unless the male does not have one x and one y per meiotic cell, it will always be 50/50

Well...I already HAD a thread about this kinda....but you started a new one anyway!!

nevermind though...it's not like it's a competition..

So first of all...

I agree with whoever said it, that making things harder in general would break SSP.

ALSO...(without wanting to sound like a moderator or generally a somehow higher form of existence) '

What I think about this thread

I think when designing your Ideas,

First of all, you should look a bit more into how exactly you would implement your "trade" or job..

what Items you would need and which tools you would use.

And Secondly you should maybe think about an approach to the above that would actually REQUIRE a community to make a trade for a community..

which would add the feel of communal achievement, which otherwise can only be achieved by building massive structures, which is (with this mod) quite the hassle to do.

That's why most people hang out in small houses on most TFC servers.

Which is good...from a "believability"/RP point of view.

Most things you suggested are mainly things one does on it's own that could be good for a community...or would just make it harder to do sth.

I think the direction TFC trades should go before adding such things as decorational features. Is actually the important stuff. Like wood-processing (which I believe is already WIP because Dunk kinda shot down my thread about it ;) ) or fishing/farming.

And those things should in my opinion not be done so that only few people can do it, but so that many people can do it better! like I said before.

I think what minecraft or TFC lacks is a reason to live together. But making individuals even more unique doesn't mean they need to stick to others.

It doesn't require you to form a village at all!!

You can chill out in your little underground pvp base/mountain hut/treehouse/dirtpile/where-ever and just give out stuff if someone needs it.

Now...About the Suggestions...

Gemcutting has been discussed quite a few times, and adding a graphics feature like God Rays or friction or anything is way beyond adding what TFC is aiming for! You know you would need to add custom shaders and shit!!

Also cut gems would not serve any MORE purpose then uncut Gems...except for the fact that someone wasted gameplay time on it.

Sorry Kimble but I really don't see the point in it...

Sidenote: You said a low poly object (25-50) right? well blocks (which are the most common minecraft thing) have 6 polygons...anything you make in minecraft has to be "rendered" from code, and basically is composed of a number of cuboids so it is nigh impossible to create very small good loooking shapes.

That said, adding a feature that only looks good would not REALLY help a community...especially in Minecraft if something is useless, it's not worth a lot. I know it could be used for interior-decoration, but decoration is even less important than actual building materials even more so in TFC.

Redworking

I agree with Eternal, GOOD Redstone mechanics are already kinda hard to do...and seeing how rare cinnabar is in TFC it's already enough I think..

Of course the mechanics could be refined, for example instead of putting it on the ground just like that it could be crafted into cables or sth. similar in order to place it down and enjoy it's magical properties, I think that would be kind of TFC-ish...Make a special oven/structure where you can process minerals into stuff and thereby make them useful...

Sidenote: This is not a SMP/community approach on purpose!! it should be one tier after Steel and should be available/necessary for SSP too..AND it should be really late game

Breeding

Dunk is already working on that. See his "Animals" thread for further info.

Sidenote: Yeah..I really don't think gender can be bred...Even today You could only select the Gender you want to have by using the most advanced gen technologies.

Fishing

I have a post about it here (spoiler in the OP)

Painting (A map is basically a utility painting)

Well I like the Idea..and while it would certainly be easy to make a GUI for that I am not sure how easy it would be to implement the actual custom Paintings as a Block. It would most certainly NOT work through "replacing" the normal paintings, because they are stored in the texture files, which minecraft can read from, but most certainly not write into. I think something like microblocks would need to be added to the game though..in order to render the item...

It also suffers from something SIMILAR to Gemcutting, but it has a lot more room for creative and use and function (like cartography)

because it could be ENTIRELY custom.

By redworking I meant a proffession for making things like pistons or repeaters.

Ya, about the gem cutting. I just poured out what was in my head so yeah...

EDIT: (your fishing post) Oh. Ok...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0