Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Official Death Penalty Discussion

262 posts in this topic

a haunting ghost of a previous player should be able to roam within, say, 30 blocks of the deathpoint, with a tiny tomb indicator for the middle (this way you actually can tell if you accidentally run into a haunted house ;) some effects i believe should be added in should be that the area grows darker (loses a light level of 4, just guessing) you become a bit slower, and you cant sprint.

you can draw the ghost out of the region to make it more vulnerable and loze your debuffs, but if you enter its center area, you can actually get your items back. this causes for a dilemma: does one charge in, potentially die again but get your items back? (if you enter the area, the ghost begins coming towards you, it should move at half the speed of a zombie ;) or do you lure the ghost out, secure your place, but loze items in due process.

opinions?

I really would like if there was some sort of anti-light in Minecraft, I wonder if one could recycle the light code, add a (-) and make it supersede the normal light code and call it a day...

probably not.

lol

I've realized I've never actually posted my idea to this thread though I've talked about it in a few others so I'm going to throw it out there.

verbatim from another post.

Basically, yeah, you'd come back and have to use medicines(specific to injury type) which would give you a lesser debuff for a much lesser period of time, some of them like lowered health cap might vanish immediately but leave you with the same health you'd had meaning you'd still have to heal up one way or another.

Also, ideally, these debuffs would persist after death, likely stacking upon eachother.

At the beginning of the game you'd likely die, often(hopefully)

So instead of the current system of just gaining health by leveling up you'd start with a max health, dying and taking slight debuffs until you can get medicines/tools to heal you resulting in you getting more health the longer you play just like now, but working at it backwards.

If the debuffs don't stack you'll actually give players a reason to off themselves to remove one debuff they don't like for one they do

[!]Unrealistic Dreaming Ahead[!]

Also, in my mind, ideally beds aren't respawn points but some magical obelisk is. The world starts with a certain number of them(configurable) and they serve as the spawn points, When you start the game you start near one(at random) and when you die you get sent to one of the nearest 2 or 3(depending on range but still slightly random, at first at least, maybe an item eventually will give you more choice).

They'd be craftable(with MAGIC!!!) but exceedingly expensive most likely.

Also the craftable ones would have variable ranges, also, they would be setable to only allow allies to respawn in that location as well as an option to personally bind to it increasing it's effective range for you. These craftable ones would likely need energy to function(I think using exp would work now) and each revival would cost the tower encouraging group play to make up for losses.

about the obelisk thingie, it might be possible if we look at the nether portal functions, it checks for any nearby portal before it creates one, and if there are multiple, you get randomized among them (vanilla nether portals that is, in TFC you just die, (i wonder why? could it be the set height limit or the gravity trying to affect netherrack, anyone know why the nether crashes?)

How about "amnesia?" Might even be pretty easy to implement.

The food and smithing recipes are already dependent on world seed. Why not also make them individual per-player. Then when you die, you lose your memory, and your per-player seed is reset, so all of your recipes change, and you have to figure them all out again. This has the advantage of not being a crippling loss, but anyone who has spent time figuring that stuff out is going to have a major incentive to stay alive. (Although I suppose it might also just make people ignore meals...)

How about "amnesia?" Might even be pretty easy to implement.

The food and smithing recipes are already dependent on world seed. Why not also make them individual per-player. Then when you die, you lose your memory, and your per-player seed is reset, so all of your recipes change, and you have to figure them all out again. This has the advantage of not being a crippling loss, but anyone who has spent time figuring that stuff out is going to have a major incentive to stay alive. (Although I suppose it might also just make people ignore meals...)

Yeah, it could be used as a death penality, but this doesn't make the game annoying. Yeah I like it :)

And maybe change also the smithing recipes? Yeah off-topic

could it be the set height limit or the gravity trying to affect netherrack, anyone know why the nether crashes?

I know. Because nether is biome, and there's no actual biomes minecraft-style in TFC anymore. Flat worlds crashing for the same reason.

Yeah, it could be used as a death penality, but this doesn't make the game annoying. Yeah I like it :)

And maybe change also the anvil recipes? Yeah off-topic

Anvil recipes are smithing recipes, Wolf. Or do you mean actual recipes for anvils?

Anvil recipes are smithing recipes, Wolf. Or do you mean actual recipes for anvils?

Yeah, smithing recipes.

Idea, based on previous suggestion by Infinity:

When you die, you spawn at a netherish dimension, wich represent your near death status.

Choice is presented, in the form of dispersed portals:

You could take the easy to find one, wich takes you to your bed spawn point, no items, and temporary debuf.

A harder to find portal, will make you respawn at death point, with you items, previous hunger and low health, meaning you "managed" to stay alive in that place.

In my opinion, what fits perfectly to this mod is what happens in real life: when you die, there is a dead body (with all the things of the inventory) which is loot-able. You respawn in your home (in your spawn point), as normally, and have to go to the place of your dead to get your stuff back, which is in the dead body (THIS IS SO COOL!!!).

Ok, and I have a very good idea, if this dead body stays more than three days, it happens the following things:

-You get poisoned when you are near the dead body

-And your hunger bar reduces faster. (optional, I think the poison idea is better :D)

Ok, so, if that dead body is far away of your home, maybe you wouldn't want to do anything with it, but if it is near your home and near your minecraft environment, you would want to remove it from your sight. To remove the dead body you have two options:

-Incinerate the body, with fire.

-Bury the dead body

And in the case you die in the water, the dead body will be floating in the water, and if the three days passes, a part of the lake or river will be contaminated, so again, you will have to remove the dead body :) With the contaminated water, it will go to normal water when it rains :)

Bioxx, this is A VERY COOL IDEAAA!!, ISN'T IT?

This would fit perfectly with Terrafirmacraft! TFC is a very cool mod and fun to play, its challenging, because it adds realism with all the different types of rocks, metals, wood, the way you do things..., all changes!,but the most important thing is that is fun too.

I think my idea removes the problem of suicide because if they want to do that, you have to remove the dead body and all that process.

I hope you enjoyed my idea, I`m just giving my two cents to improve this awesome mod!

And also, it would be very fun to see dead bodies in minecraft!

You could have for the first time in minecraft a cemetery!! With all the tombs under the dirt, with that tombstones... EPIC!

I have to say that I created this account only to post this, so I hope you liked it. And sorry for my bad english, it is not my mother language ;)

How many times did you post this?? :huh:

I kinda though about this idea for a bit and I think its a bit silly. What if you go to limbo when you die the whole place is black very difficult to see, all blocks are lost, there are reapers everywhere

yea. My idea was that when you die you go to limbo everything is almost pitch black you can barely differ the ground from the sky and barely able to have a feel of hight you would wonder

for seasons if not years to try and find the very lowest part of limbo however this would be extremely difficulty superbly at that. Limbo should be a scary place with no sign of life anywhere the only

things lurking it would be reapers(skeleton's with scythes that would fly and if it catches you you go back to the top of limbo). if you play on peaceful then there are no reapers and limbo is smaller. easy there are reapers but limbo is smaller. normal there are reapers and limbo is big. Hard there are reapers and limbo is huge and finally hardcore everything is the same as hard

but you have a limited time to get out if not bye-bye world. I know this is unrealistic and people will say that this is not proven scientifically and crap but this is just a suggestion and it is minecraft

soul less skeleton's roam the world.

I've realized I've never actually posted my idea to this thread though I've talked about it in a few others so I'm going to throw it out there.

verbatim from another post.

I can't tell you how much I love this idea. If I got along better with java I'd make this a mod right away to see how people like it.

Let's say each time you die your maximum in health, thirst, or hunger at level 1 gets lessened by N%. You start off the game at level 1 with current life stats +N%, so 4 deaths leaves you at about the current maximum in those life stats (assuming the RNG gives you just one of each penalty). The end effect is that even though you can compensate for these penalties with gaining levels, each time you die those levels have less of a total effect. Eventually your penalties might get so bad that N% rounds to 0, but your ability to not starve, dehydrate, or survive even a small fall will be extremely low at level 1.

Another possible penalty is in carrying capacity. If this penalty were imposed, you would receive an item on death that cannot be moved, grabbed, picked up, etc. This would necessarily have to be limited to your internal inventory and not your hotbar. If it included your hotbar this would equate to permadeath.

There are already medicines in the game, of a sort: meals. In addition to what they already do, some meals alleviate one of the penalty types death can impose. Practice proper nutrition! Without discovering these meals, death would be indeed scary. The downside to this is that on servers where pooled efforts unlock these faster, and pooled efforts provide greater quantity of food for making the meals needed to get rid of the penalties, death is a material cost alone.

That's where your other idea becomes brilliant. If your respawn point was not something you could set on your own, but would depend more on where you died, death could not be used as a teleporter that simply costs you food. And instead of the overly draconian method of making your respawn point totally random within a wide area (meaning there's almost no chance of getting your stuff back), you respawn locally but at a known location.

The obelisks would need to be easily seen and above ground, however. I'm thinking they could only spawn if the following conditions were met: no blocks touch it except at the base, where it has to have a level area at least wide enough for a person to stand, and the top block should have direct access to the sky. That could be high on a mountain or in a deep ravine, but it will be accessable and won't leave you totally trapped. They probably shouldn't be too far apart, like no more than 124 blocks from each other.

I'm also thinking that if your bed is close enough to an obelisk and that obelisk could be included in one of those at which you might respawn, your bed becomes the place that always wins the die roll. Get too far away and it wouldn't matter, but you wan an incentive to settle down and build.

This shouldn't make exploration overly horrible, but it also should prevent every scouting trip from ending in suicide to get back home quickly.