Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsb23

Question that will become a suggestion

16 posts in this topic

Whenever anyone talks about world gen they always end up saying somewhere that they restarted the world multiple times all of the noobs are freaking out.

Unfortunately i haven't played tfc in a while and am very curious as to the cause of this. And if you would have continued this world without transfering to a different area could you have survived?

Some updates require you to make a new world, some just update the spawning of minerals and aren't requiring you to make a new one.

However, Bioxx has said that for every build he recommends a fresh world.

Now it's up to you to decide if you want to make a new world every build or just try and play on the old one.

Example:

One thing that "forced" a new world was when vanilla biomes stopped working(easier explanation than what really happened), on SSP it wasn't so bad, but SMP, where the nether is always loaded, it caused immediate crashes... this was fixable by deleting the whole nether dimension, so some played like that...

Not what I meant, although I appreciate the info. Some people like to keep making new worlds until they find one with favorable conditions. I just want to know if this is common.

(i meant restarting a world due to a bad seed)

I restart worlds when i start in jungles (vanilla) but here in TFC i didn'T have to restart in the latest builds...

you spawn in moderate climate and usually biomes providing starter metals and food/animals should not be far away...that's my experience...also the common "I can't find clay" problem is not as bad as it might seem although it does sometimes take intensive search for 1 or 2 days to find it...

Would you personally prefer it that there was a wider range of areas to spawn? Or do you like the way it is now?

I'd personally prefer a wider range of options when I first spawn. The granite with cassiterite spawn point is nice, but it's a bit too ideal for a survival game. A swamp or jungle would mean I'd have to vary up my tactics.

I'd personally prefer a wider range of options when I first spawn. The granite with cassiterite spawn point is nice, but it's a bit too ideal for a survival game. A swamp or jungle would mean I'd have to vary up my tactics.

Spawning in jungles and deserts would be nice. The poles would be nice to spawn in as well, we just need to wait for temperature to start affecting the player. Also, if we do spawn in deserts, i demand notch pools removed!

Oh, and it would be really nice to have rare-ish oasis generating in the desert. Shallow pools of water surrounded by grass and some palm(?) trees, cause that would probably be the only way of getting wood (considering how big deserts are/should be now).

So, squid, would you prefer more content for the world so there is more to explore (like oasis) or would you like the ability to spawn in a larger variety of spots? (sorry for the lots of questions, I'm just trying to get down what people want)

Spawning in jungles and deserts would be nice. The poles would be nice to spawn in as well, we just need to wait for temperature to start affecting the player. Also, if we do spawn in deserts, i demand notch pools removed!

Oh, and it would be really nice to have rare-ish oasis generating in the desert. Shallow pools of water surrounded by grass and some palm(?) trees, cause that would probably be the only way of getting wood (considering how big deserts are/should be now).

How exactly would spawning in the desert be nice? Sure, it would be challenging, but fun/nice? I don't know..

So, squid, would you prefer more content for the world so there is more to explore (like oasis) or would you like the ability to spawn in a larger variety of spots? (sorry for the lots of questions, I'm just trying to get down what people want)

I'd say more to explore is always better. Both would be great though and I have a feeling being able to spawn in other "biomes" would be easier to code... Gosh now that I think of it, spawning in new places might be better... Tough choice!

The only problem is that areas such as tundras or deserts are almost impossible to live in it would seem. Am I correct?

Yeh, on second thought new environents would be much superior. We pretty much spawn in sweet spot.

In vanilla i use to find myself restarting all of the time, and in the past when ores and such were bugged out in certain tfc builds i would have to restart a couple times to get ores to show properly. Lately in tfc though i have found myself just starting a world and exploring it to much greater and more enjoyable effect than anything in vanilla in the past.

Changing the possible spawn point is an option in my mind at least, but id hate to see a bunch more work on world gen, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like world gen to just become what it is and stay, but on the other hand id also like to see it become as perfect as it possibly can be.

The only problem is that areas such as tundras or deserts are almost impossible to live in it would seem. Am I correct?

It's currently nearly impossible due to how the original minecraft was made, but a few basic changes could easily make harsher environments livable, thus providing a wider range of possible experiences in game in TFC, which I believe is Bioxx's intent.

Deserts:

- Food: Add desert specific mobs that are a cross between the passive and hostile mobs, they garner food but will still attack you (due to living in a harsh environment themselves). A couple of the plant types listed below could also be made to yield fruits at certain times of the year.

- Building material: Scrub trees, joshua trees, and cactus could all be made into simple means of getting building material in the desert. These wouldn't have huge yields like a redwood or willow, but you're trying to survive in the desert right?

- Industry: As this is always a huge consideration for anywhere you settle, perhaps deserts could be made to spawn some minerals more than other places, like a specific type of metal, or coal.

Tundra:

- Food: Animals already spawn here, but perhaps making larger animals like cows or bison more likely to spawn would be helpful. Basic foraging brush could also be added to provide secondary food sources.

- Building material: Igloos are already possible and viable, you can also use a moulding process to pour water into a larger mold to then let freeze to create a structure out of ice. And then smaller trees still exist if that's your thing.

- Industry: Having herds of animals would make leather an easy thing to collect, and if any of the seeds in the game are ever made to be grown in colder conditions, you'd be set to be the prime source of such produce.

uum..about the tundra:

even if larger animals would be more likely to live there than small ones..none of the minecraft mobs except for bears, wolves and deer (in the form of reindeer) could or should survive there i think.

So the tundra is not something to gather animal material...except for whalefat and polarbear hides...but those haven't been implemented yet...on the other hand tundras often have decent amounts of coal, (oil), Diamonds, and Ores in general

I think that would be an interesting way to balance the game out..while you cannot grow your own food (except for hunting untamable animals)

you would have a lot of Ores to mine for...tricky situation no? If damage from cold and so on is implemented it would get only get worse!!

But it would believable and add a sense of challenge to going into the tundra.

Oh also...if you talk about real tundra...i think not even most trees stand a chance against the cold...

there should be a taiga surrounding the tundra of course...so you are always free to travel and get your wood!!

i really like the idea of diff. biomes have diff types of survival... some perfect for farming and staying close to the wood age, others more harsh and thus require more advanced tactics to survive.

stone buildings with wood padding instead of maybe a wooden hut with a thatch roof?

could make for really diff citys aswell

- like skyrim oblivion, diff building styles needed for diff envoirements and not only because of the landscape...!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0