Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darias

Alloy Quality

24 posts in this topic

The wiki was unclear, but how do I judge the qualities of the alloys in contrast to each other?

For example, is bismuth bronze preferable over bronze? (in RL, it's more corrosion resistant... )

I need to know of copper, tin, zinc, and bismuth, which is preferable to make my next anvil out of, and which alloy will give me the best tools?

The alloy page shows you tiers. My understanding is that each metal is equal to all other metals in the same tier.

Is it correct that to make anything out of bismuth bronze or bronze, I need to make an anvil of that material first?

I tried to make some tools on my copper anvil, and had no luck.

Also - Oh i see, I might have been trying to use brass, which is only useful as an alloy prerequisite.

You need an anvil of that TIER, not necessarily the same metal. So for bronze tools, you'd need any anvil from the tier 2 metals, so bismuth bronze or rose gold or whatever would work. You basically need the anvil from the previous tier to make ingots and the anvil for the next tier.

Also, the wiki lists "n/a" in the tool anvil column for metals that can't be made into tools.

The wiki was unclear, but how do I judge the qualities of the alloys in contrast to each other?

For example, is bismuth bronze preferable over bronze? (in RL, it's more corrosion resistant... )

I need to know of copper, tin, zinc, and bismuth, which is preferable to make my next anvil out of, and which alloy will give me the best tools?

The metals/alloys on the same tier is approximately around 40% better than any of the previous tier, there are slight variations within the tiers, but not really too relevant.

A guide for thinking about alloy hardness: the harder base material the harder the alloy, so let's do an example:

Bronze = 3 Copper, 1 Tin

Bismuth Bronze = 2 Copper, 1 Tin, 1 Bismuth

Bismuth is the softest of the tier 0 metals, so if you replace one part copper with that the alloy will get softer, meaning easier to work, but also less durable.

More precise than that I'm not prepared to go with you or anyone, durabilities are a "behind the scenes" number, and should never be revealed on the wiki, if you want to know it you can go read the code.

Is it correct that to make anything out of bismuth bronze or bronze, I need to make an anvil of that material first?

I tried to make some tools on my copper anvil, and had no luck.

Also - Oh i see, I might have been trying to use brass, which is only useful as an alloy prerequisite.

What Vegas said:

You need an anvil of that TIER, not necessarily the same metal. So for bronze tools, you'd need any anvil from the tier 2 metals, so bismuth bronze or rose gold or whatever would work. You basically need the anvil from the previous tier to make ingots and the anvil for the next tier.

Also, the wiki lists "n/a" in the tool anvil column for metals that can't be made into tools.

Now, if you want to waste gold on a tier 2 anvil or tools, feel free to, just know that since it's so rare I'd save it for higher tier metals/alloys.

Another note, any higher tier anvil works for lower tiers, just in case you where wondering, so use the old ones for decoration or sell them to your struggling neighbor :)

The wiki won't show up info on the diferences between the alloys except temperatures, but if you look them up in the Wikipedia, you will get an accurate hint on their durability

Excellent. Finally (After ~3 weeks of playing) I feel comfortably into the game. I have functioning mines for Tin, Zinc, Bismuth, and Copper. I finally found Marble. (~5.5 KM away from home - FML) and am getting a handle on the dozen or so different uses of the tools like the chisel to get different styles of stone.

What's next? How do people chose to go after the higher tier metals? Just start digging bore shafts and then probing for higher quality ore?

What's next? How do people chose to go after the higher tier metals? Just start digging bore shafts and then probing for higher quality ore?

Yeah... at least for me, it was kinda like that .-.

Yeah... at least for me, it was kinda like that .-.

Well I have only progressed that far in my first world... I actually just got really lucky. I was digging down in a area I had found a copper nugget trying to find it when I found a spalerite RAVINE. I was poking around and I found some hematite. While mining the hematite I found copper. While mining the copper I found cassiterite readings, while searching for the cassiterite, I found Tetrahedrite. I was feeling around in my tetrahedrite mine, trying to get the last of it out when I found some bleedin gold. And while mining THAT out I found Galena... The only ore I had to start another mine for and actually search was nickel. Even that I found rather quickly...

Dayum - Real lucky!

It took me the better part of three weeks of on and off play to find marble with which to make flux.

Dayum - Real lucky!

It took me the better part of three weeks of on and off play to find marble with which to make flux.

It took me the better part of three minutes :3

Has anyone ever experienced the chisel not working properly? (This is not a

ZOMG GET A HAMMER FFS thread)

I have come into the habit mining that I mine out smooth blocks for construction later, and form the stairs into the mine as I go... However, this morning the chisel only smooths blocks... Regardless of the mode it is set on.

Am restarting MC now to see if it resolves the issue.

For reference, I am mining slate with a copper chisel and a bismuth bronze pickaxe, if that matters.

I have an issue with the chisel where it is in the wrong mode sometimes. I think it has to do with me playing on two different computers. So stair mode smooths, and slab mode makes stairs, and smoothing mode makes slabs. I guess I need to make sure I always log off with the same mode set. Never saw where it only did smoothing no matter what mode you put it in.

One cool thing I discovered this way is that you can make "smooth stairs" by smoothing first then making stairs.

I have an issue with the chisel where it is in the wrong mode sometimes. I think it has to do with me playing on two different computers. So stair mode smooths, and slab mode makes stairs, and smoothing mode makes slabs. I guess I need to make sure I always log off with the same mode set. Never saw where it only did smoothing no matter what mode you put it in.

One cool thing I discovered this way is that you can make "smooth stairs" by smoothing first then making stairs.

I had this exact issue once, but I only play from one computer and host the server on another. Restart did fix it.

My server is hosted online in some server farm somewhere. I have not had this issue previously - however I can try a server restart! Dunno why I never thought of that...

Must need moar coffee.

Restarting the server helped... Now i can create stairs if I select 'create slab.'

GAHHH Double Post! Just Edit your post next time.

And also back to OP.

Is there actually a difference in durability/strength between different alloys of the same tier(in game, not IRL), or it that rather not revealed?

I think there is, seeing as there even is a difference in the 0 tier -Different stones give different stone tool heads, with different durability. That's why you sometimes can't stack tool heads but sometimes you can.-. But, unless someone actually wasted all the necesary time to test how much durability each different metal/alloy has, we aren't likely to ever know the answer. Unless you look at the code. But yeah, i wouldn't like anyone to show me their exact durabilities anyways :

I think there is, seeing as there even is a difference in the 0 tier -Different stones give different stone tool heads, with different durability. That's why you sometimes can't stack tool heads but sometimes you can.-. But, unless someone actually wasted all the necesary time to test how much durability each different metal/alloy has, we aren't likely to ever know the answer. Unless you look at the code. But yeah, i wouldn't like anyone to show me their exact durabilities anyways :

Ya, I didn't want to know it either. That would TOTALLY ruin the fun of it. I just wanted to know if there was a difference. Thanks!

I want to say that in the bronze tier, Black bronze is the strongest followed by bismuth bronze. Only Bioxx knows for sure though. It has been confirmed that red and blue steel are identical however!

I posted something quite relevant to this topic in "can't get bronze"

metals on the same tier are by NO means equal. Making bismuth bronze instead of bronze is like kicking yourself in the pants.

Putting that extra copper in the metallurgy table instead of the bismuth increases tool strength (ie damage or mining speed) by 36% and the number of uses before it breaks by iirc closer to 50%

don't do it guise. don't.

... So, why we have the option to make bismuth bronze if even one of the developer tells us not to make it?

The only reason why i would make it is because the armor looks kinda cool... kinda

... So, why we have the option to make bismuth bronze if even one of the developer tells us not to make it?

The only reason why i would make it is because the armor looks kinda cool... kinda

you can make it because you have the materials to make it.

You will probably eventually see many similar things happen throughout TFC, even if something isn't useful, it will follow the rule "why the hell not?". If you have all the materials to make something, we wanna let you make it.