Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Revenge519

Grinders

87 posts in this topic

Well I have a Metal shop at my school and I saw a bench grinder in there. Then the thought occurred that in Terrra Firma. You need to sharpen tools on game not just pound it with a hammer. But then again a certain kind of stone could work. But still.

A stone could be a basic thing, and metal more advanced. But what is the point in this? Are you suggesting sharpening would restore durability? Or what? Cause I don't get it.

This has been discussed as a mechanic to repair and/or improve items. If you are suggesting to use it as one of those functions, it would be better if you could go look for one of the repairing threads and post your ideas -implying you have ideas on how would it work, rather than a simple wish-. If you instead are suggesting it for it to become yet another step in the creation of tools... Well, show us how you think it could be done. And the pros it has. The thing is, in most of the cases, it just won't work if you just come here and say "hey, here is my idea, bye" with no explanation or arguments, unless it is a really new and cool idea no one has ever thought about before.

Part of the knapping process is to sharpen the rock which will become your tool with the second rock, so stone age already kind of implements the idea of sharpening tools before being able to use them. Then, the metal ages are left. If i were you, i would try and make the sharpening technic something affordable with no metal tools, because if you need any metal tool for it, you will be trapped in a loop (I need a tool for this sharpening stuff<--->I need this sharpening stuff for a tool). The other option is to make it so you can make functional metal tools with no sharpening, but they would be slower than normal. And then, you just got yourself an already suggested "sharpening for upgrade" mechanic.

Oh, and finally...

Welcome to TFC forums!

Enjoy your visit.

Welcome to TFC forums!

Enjoy your visit.

So you think he will just be visiting the forums and not staying, lol.

And thanks the description helped a lot.

So you think he will just be visiting the forums and not staying, lol.

And thanks the description helped a lot.

Nah, i just felt like writing yet another of this, but didn't had any good ideas... :P

Wait, stop! we can't get this fast into a derailment : those freakin pennys in the rails someone said we placed are working way too well.

EDIT: ... Not feeling right about this, but... F+CK YEAH, 1000 POSTS!

-snip-

Oh Yeah. Good Point! Someone help get us back on topic! And I think that was arctaran(or however you spell it) or maybe srg.

And congrats. You are a very good contributor. (most of the time).

Maybe there could also be a thing where you use a stone(igneous exturisve) to sharpen, and then sandpaper maybe for metal.

Oh Yeah. Good Point! Someone help get us back on topic! And I think that was arctaran(or however you spell it) or maybe srg.

And congrats. You are a very good contributor. (most of the time).

Maybe there could also be a thing where you use a stone(igneous exturisve) to sharpen, and then sandpaper maybe for metal.

sandpaper...you're joking right?

but yeah grindstones would be awesome, maybe this would be how you get the "sharpness" effect on weapons, not by enchanting(cuz really that just seems silly)

so you would open up the grindtone gui, and put your weapon in, spear, axe, sword, whatever

then you would use some oil on the stone or something like that, and sharpen your weapon, thus making it more effective

sandpaper...you're joking right?

No actually, I wasn't. Sandpaper is actually used to sand metal all the time. Not regular sandpaper, but emery or diamond sandpaper. Sandpaper isn't just for wood.

A stone could be a basic thing, and metal more advanced. But what is the point in this? Are you suggesting sharpening would restore durability? Or what? Cause I don't get it.

Did you just... ask yourself a question? You just posted an empty post, with nothing but my quote, which had a question to YOU.

Confusement is mine.

Look guys A grinder is NOT made of metal its a stone wheel and along time ago they were made by a pedal any you push on the pedal, with a series of wooden mechanisms causing the Stone wheel to move. Then you place the desired tool to sharpen. I just thought It would be more logical than just hammering metal on an Anvil. I know this stuff I do it at my house.

Did you just... ask yourself a question? You just posted an empty post, with nothing but my quote, which had a question to YOU.

Confusement is mine.

Sorry im new here o.o Im so unfamiliar with this.

Look guys A grinder is NOT made of metal its a stone wheel and along time ago they were made by a pedal any you push on the pedal, with a series of wooden mechanisms causing the Stone wheel to move. Then you place the desired tool to sharpen. I just thought It would be more logical than just hammering metal on an Anvil. I know this stuff I do it at my house.

I get that, and you are right; it does make more sense. And sorry if we sound like mean to you -which i guess is the reason you answer like that :-, no one here was trying to.

It still has the same problem. A stone big enough for be made into a grinder will hardly be found as one of those loose stones, so the other option is to mine it. And we get back to what i was saying. You can't mine without a metal pick. If you need the grinder for the pick to work, we get into the loop; If you don't, it just becames an upgrade. Or you could make it so only certain tools need sharpening to work -a saw is a little hard to sharp with a grinder, i guess :-, including the pickaxes between this tools. Even if it wasn't believable, it's a sacrifice we can admit for the game to be playable :.

EDIT:

No actually, I wasn't. Sandpaper is actually used to sand metal all the time. Not regular sandpaper, but emery or diamond sandpaper. Sandpaper isn't just for wood.

Yeah, 'cause at the stone age, you break diamonds and emery into dust and make sandpaper with them all the time. It just won't work here :

Yeah, 'cause at the stone age, you break diamonds and emery into dust and make sandpaper with them all the time. It just won't work here :

But it isn't the stone age where you'd get it, its the metal age. It's only require for sharpening Metal tools. and you need metal to get the diamonds/emery.

Wait, stop! we can't get this fast into a derailment : those freakin pennys in the rails someone said we placed are working way too well.

HAha! My penny rail system is working at 200% capacity! My evil plan to de-rail all threads is working perfectly!!!!

Mwahahahaha!

but yeah grindstones would be awesome, maybe this would be how you get the "sharpness" effect on weapons, not by enchanting(cuz really that just seems silly)

I like this idea. Metal tools could be the same as they are now, but using a grindstone could give them the related "enchantment", like sharpness for sword, efficiency for axe & pickaxe. Limit it so it could only be done to a tool with more than 75% durability (or another amount), and it would wear off once it got below that durability.

Having the grindstone require some kind of oil that is difficult to obtain would prevent it from being OP. Also require it to be made of a raw igneous stone (or whatever kind makes sense, I'm not a geologist).

Edit: Oh and stone tools shouldn't be able to be sharpened like this.

I like this idea. Metal tools could be the same as they are now, but using a grindstone could give them the related "enchantment", like sharpness for sword, efficiency for axe & pickaxe. Limit it so it could only be done to a tool with more than 75% durability (or another amount), and it would wear off once it got below that durability.

Having the grindstone require some kind of oil that is difficult to obtain would prevent it from being OP. Also require it to be made of a raw igneous stone (or whatever kind makes sense, I'm not a geologist).

Edit: Oh and stone tools shouldn't be able to be sharpened like this.

Considering that the process of making stone tools gives them an edge...

You know (fuck you derailment, I got other plans) I really like this idea as a final step to the process of forging a sword/knife/axe/sycthe/pickaxe/shovel. The other tools wouldn't really need it. This would also help out my damascus blades idea...

As far as after the item has been created, it might be able to eventually turned into a repair mechanic. But that has already been discussed.

I don't think picks or shovels really need an edge...

maybe we could make that optional for them?

The grinder isn't just making a edge, it's used to take a roughly shaped tool into the specific shape and such of the end tool. Pickaxes and shovels don't need to be sharp, but they are needing to be shaped versus say, a mace, hammer or saw.

Most metals rank on the moh's hardness scale lower than you might think. I think copper is like...4? idr. sand and silica is much higher, closer to 7 I think, so it could easilly be used to sand metal, although I don't think it would be, as belt sanders were not invented until relatively recently. The grind wheel is an interesting idea, and we may introduce a system similar to skyrim's which also uses a grinding wheel but with significant differences: grinding would be completely a meta skill, no RPG shit going on in here. You wouldn't necessarily improve the blade or tool. If we did implement this, it would probably be in a way that would make it hard not to damage the tool during work, and make it unattractive to most players. The average person who attempted to "sharpen" his or her tool might wind up damaging the blade, making certain parts too thin, or not creating a uniform edge or blade thickness, all of which could contribute to bad results, from decreased durability to slower mining times and damage dealt. A player that practiced though and perfected their craft could become an important addition to any server, as they would be able to give weapons that extra kick. Tool tip might be "bronze sword (battered)" or "bronze sword (fine)" for example.

Considering that the process of making stone tools gives them an edge...

I'm not sure what you're implying here. I just mentioned stone tools because I figure if you tried to grind a stone tool into a sharper edge it would probably just break pieces off instead, and not in the way you wanted. From what I understand of knapping you're not really sharpening the stone into an edge, just breaking it in such a way that it forms an edge where it breaks.

Also, as far as the metal tools I was saying that they you'd still be able to create tools without grinding an edge. The grinding would be an additional, optional step to try and make a better edge.

Say have you ever tried to dig a hole with a shovel that has a dull edge ??

it is a lot harder than if you actually sharpen it.

a dull edge sometimes doubles the amount of earth you have to push away with the edge of the shovel

as you drive it into the earth, and thus requires the double amount of force :D

also this is a shovel i am talking about and not a spade so no confusion about that ^^

Yeah how about hose swords? lol you don't pound a sword into place! you do that then you sharpen the edges for it to become A sword. not just a long board of metal with a handle....

Most metals rank on the moh's hardness scale lower than you might think. I think copper is like...4? idr. sand and silica is much higher, closer to 7 I think, so it could easilly be used to sand metal, although I don't think it would be, as belt sanders were not invented until relatively recently. The grind wheel is an interesting idea, and we may introduce a system similar to skyrim's which also uses a grinding wheel but with significant differences: grinding would be completely a meta skill, no RPG shit going on in here. You wouldn't necessarily improve the blade or tool. If we did implement this, it would probably be in a way that would make it hard not to damage the tool during work, and make it unattractive to most players. The average person who attempted to "sharpen" his or her tool might wind up damaging the blade, making certain parts too thin, or not creating a uniform edge or blade thickness, all of which could contribute to bad results, from decreased durability to slower mining times and damage dealt. A player that practiced though and perfected their craft could become an important addition to any server, as they would be able to give weapons that extra kick. Tool tip might be "bronze sword (battered)" or "bronze sword (fine)" for example.

Oh, so you're saying over-grinding might make a tool useless?

As I uh... briefly glossed over in another thread.. *ahem* that I posted *cough* recently... *Ahehem* ooh, sorry, sore throat...