Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Revenge519

Aluminum/ Different Alloys?/ Steel? that's not how you make it!

7 posts in this topic

I noticed that This was not in the TFC mod. I know a lot about metals and Aluminum is a very important element in creating light mechanisms.///When you mix 2 metals to gether in a liquid state "depending on how much of each there is" Different amounts of each metal will create a new alloy, in Yellow Brass Will create as you already know an alloy <ex: copper+Zinc=Brass> Well there ARE diffident types of brass such as Aluminum brass, Rose Brass, Red Brass and of course in the mod, Yellow brass which is most common. Different amounts of each metal will create a new alloy, in Yellow Brass there is almost an even amount of zinc and copper. in Red brass The copper is about 70% and the zinc is 30% causing the brass to become more reddish. I don't know if this is to complicated but I would think it would be really cool if you could make other alloys. Finally Steel. Steel is created by putting Limestone and (another rock I forgot what it was called) and Iron Pebbles in a "blast furnace". This heats up the matiral and mixes it to gether creating steel, its then coated in Zinc,or Tin this is called Galvanized Steel, then there's Black steel which is coated in a anti erosive agent. Sorry Steel isn't made by mixing every thing to gether -.- lol

I just thought it would be kinda kewl :]

Not the same idea, but related, check out my work in progress idea of Damascus blades (make sure to read the latest post I just put up).

P.S, in the discussion section.

Aluminium doesent really fit in the timeframe of the mod. (around 16th century)

About steel: You can get an inhomogenous type of steel driectly out of a bloomery, which you need to combine with other iron strips to forge them into a more homogenous steel. That comes pretty close to how the mod does it, what you describe is the modern industrial style process, which doesent really fit into the mod.

About all the different types of alloys: i dont know what the real benefit would be, apart from being a big hassle to make.

WOOOO! another new alloy/metals thread!!

This has been discussed and shot down so many times it was funny, stopped being funny, and now its getting funny again.

use the search function next time, it saves us from having to rip you apart with our harsh comments :)

Do you think you are the first person on this forum with an inkling of metallurgy? We have spent hours reading dense text articles, geological reports, statistics and historical records regarding metal production, alloying and techniques of mining smithing and metal working. There isn't "one way" to make steel, the true definition of which is an iron with a specific carbon content, regardless of other metals. Aluminum which is most commonly smelted from bauxite (which was classically believed to be utterly useless) is a very recent addition to the metallurgic repertoire. The creation of higher level alloys such as red black and blue steel is, we will admit, a fabrication, but this was done to balance game play and believability.

the black steel you are referring to is called 'Anodized' steel, which is more resistant to wear and weathering but consequently more brittle (on the surface)

Aluminium doesent really fit in the timeframe of the mod. (around 16th century)

About steel: You can get an inhomogenous type of steel driectly out of a bloomery, which you need to combine with other iron strips to forge them into a more homogenous steel. That comes pretty close to how the mod does it, what you describe is the modern industrial style process, which doesent really fit into the mod.

About all the different types of alloys: i dont know what the real benefit would be, apart from being a big hassle to make.

Thanks for the info :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0