Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EternalUndeath

Weapon/tool 'finishing'

58 posts in this topic

ARmour can be overhauled by removing all vanilla armours and redoing the classes as ArmourTFC.java for example.

One of the ideas I'm tossing around right now for grindwheel GUI (for a sword) is that you would have a sword which would be locked to your mouse and an animated spinning wheel. Y directional movement would affect the angle that the blade was applied to the grinding stone and the X movement would affect the lateral movement, ie what part of the blade you are working on currently. Clicking might push the blade to the wheel.

This format allows you to control the andgle of the edge on the blade, but also means that if you over sharpen a single section or sharpen certain sections more than others, you will mess up the blade, the edge won't be uniform or you may dull the edge or damage it.

Sharpening tools incorrectly leads to shitty weapons, but if you can manage to do it properly, you can get a sharper edge. Adding this feature may cause weapons to dull over time. Dull weapons could be sharpened, altough sharpening may sacrifice tool durability. It's a balance thing, you have to weigh the pros and cons, which I like, because it means that there is a deeper level to it, it isn't always a win-win or even a win-lose.

Fair enough

but how will you animate it without making it feel like one of those PS1 RPGs instead of minecraft?

I honestly cannot picture a grindwheel being operated in close 1st person without seeing more detailed graphics than minecraft/tfc is really classically comfortable with.

Second, while that's simple enough (and fucking awesome) for a sword, which is just a straight line, how the hell would you improve a pickaxe or armor on it? I can even see an axe, but you can't tell me we'd get full 3D rotation to get the nooks and crannies of a fully rendered chestplate properly buffed.

third, and totally unrelated to my criticism, that would give me a GREAT excuse to use the 'accuracy' low-dps setting on my mouse

Seriously though, that second bit is a pretty serious issue with your idea. I'd like to hear about ideas for some resolutions

Fair enough

but how will you animate it without making it feel like one of those PS1 RPGs instead of minecraft?

I honestly cannot picture a grindwheel being operated in close 1st person without seeing more detailed graphics than minecraft/tfc is really classically comfortable with.

Second, while that's simple enough (and fucking awesome) for a sword, which is just a straight line, how the hell would you improve a pickaxe or armor on it? I can even see an axe, but you can't tell me we'd get full 3D rotation to get the nooks and crannies of a fully rendered chestplate properly buffed.

third, and totally unrelated to my criticism, that would give me a GREAT excuse to use the 'accuracy' low-dps setting on my mouse

Seriously though, that second bit is a pretty serious issue with your idea. I'd like to hear about ideas for some resolutions

I don't think you sharpen chest plates...

who says you cant? a properly sharpened chestplate could be quite a deadly weapon

who says you cant? a properly sharpened chestplate could be quite a deadly weapon

maybe to yourself...

No but you do buff out scratches and dents

the pointiest 'nips in all the land... taking out foes wherever he walks, without even the swing of a sword.

the pointiest 'nips in all the land... taking out foes wherever he walks, without even the swing of a sword.

oh god, that sounds terrifying D:

i guess you could take it that way....

i meant just sharpening up the edges of it and smacking people with the sharpened corners

i guess you could take it that way....

i meant just sharpening up the edges of it and smacking people with the sharpened corners

I could imagine pointed helmets more easily... now THAT would be pretty kewl.

I could imagine pointed helmets more easily... now THAT would be pretty kewl.

headbuts of DOOOOOOOMMM!

Fair enough

What's wrong with PS1 RPGs???? They are freaking awesome!

What's wrong with PS1 RPGs???? They are freaking awesome!

that they may be, but they aren't minecraft

The king of derailments keeps his play outside his palace.

Fucking item improvement people.

GRINDSTONES.

1. you don't buff out scratches and marks out of armor to make the armor work better. You do it purely for aesthetic reasons. That aside, all you're doing is removing material.

2. Pickaxes need to maintain a certain shape, obviously you wouldn't sharpen it like you would a kitchen knife.

3. Grindstone could be used to make metal arrowheads.

4. Metal throwing spears please, I don't care how it's done, but they need to be cheap. And deadly. They are going to be lost - a lot.

GAHH! Stop bringing these topics back on-topic! They were so nice and off topic, why must your ruin such a beutiful thing?! I Sherlock Holmes, declare that I will stop you from rerailing these topics if it is the last thing I do!

GAHH! Stop bringing these topics back on-topic! They were so nice and off topic, why must your ruin such a beutiful thing?! I Sherlock Holmes, declare that I will stop you from rerailing these topics if it is the last thing I do!

-snaps neck-

no.

I read about the GUI idea from Dunk about being able to control the angle of sharpness. Instead of moving the whole blade, how about you choose the angle and duration of the sharpening, while a nice animation does the moving for you?

I read about the GUI idea from Dunk about being able to control the angle of sharpness. Instead of moving the whole blade, how about you choose the angle and duration of the sharpening, while a nice animation does the moving for you?

because that makes it much too easy. If you did that, someone could just post on the wiki exactly what you had to do. If that were to happen, we'd have to remove the feature all together.

I approve. I approve so much.

I approve. I approve so much.

all of your yes was given?

all of your yes was given?

All of it. This has been the first post in a long time to impress me so much I felt I had to chime in and show support :L .. There seemed to be a bit of a dry spell :(

All of it. This has been the first post in a long time to impress me so much I felt I had to chime in and show support :L .. There seemed to be a bit of a dry spell :(

Yeah, It's been quite a few half baked repeat suggestions lately :/

Yeah, It's been quite a few half baked repeat suggestions lately :/

The activity in general has died down a little :/ .. How has the community been going in general, I feel I need to play catch up :L

The activity in general has died down a little :/ .. How has the community been going in general, I feel I need to play catch up :L

Well, for starters, we seem to have the collective attention span of a fly, at least here in suggestions.

because that makes it much too easy. If you did that, someone could just post on the wiki exactly what you had to do. If that were to happen, we'd have to remove the feature all together.

Are you implying that the anvil system is going to be reworked so this can no longer happen?

Besides, the truth behind sharpening is that you don't always want your tool razor-sharp. If you make your blade too sharp, it may hold an edge less well and get dull faster. If you sharpen the blade at a wider angle, then your blade won't have as much slicing potential but it will last much longer. It's not black-and-white to begin with.