Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sting_Auer

Different weapon and armor stats; Inspired by Dwarf Fortress

13 posts in this topic

My suggestion is to have made all weapons and armor have certain stats that are unique to that material, and the quality of the item itself.

Weapons would have mass, contact area, and velocity.

Mass and contact area are based on material and quality, velocity is a constant for the weapon type.

Armor would have rigidity, thickness, and mass.

When a weapon hits someone without armor, it just does a base amount damage determined by weapon type and material. However, when a weapon hits someone with armor on, a calculation is done that takes the weapon and armor stats and compares them.

Armor:

Higher rigidity increases weapon glance chance, but doesn't absorb as much damage.

Lower rigidity decreases glance chance, but absorbs more damage.

Higher thickness absorbs more damage and makes weapons less likely to penetrate, but is heavier.

Lower thickness is lighter, but isn't as effective.

Higher mass absorbs more knockback.

Weapons:

Larger contact area decreases chance of armor piercing, but also decreases chance of glancing off of the armor.

Smaller contact area increases glance chance, but also increases piercing chance.

More velocity means more pierce chance, more knockback, and more damage.

Lower velocity means less pierce chance, less knockback, and less damage.

More mass means more knockback and damage.

Less mass means less knockback and damage.

Hit type info:

Weapons that glance do no damage.

Weapons that hit without glancing do damaged based on mass and velocity.

Weapons that pierce do damage based on velocity and contact area.

Weapon stat info:

Hammers would have medium velocity, large contact area, and high mass.

Swords would have medium velocity, small contact area, and low mass.

Maces would have medium velocity, medium contact area, and medium mass.

Spears would have low velocity, tiny contact area, and low mass. Spears would also have greater reach than other weapons.

Arrows would have very high velocity, small contact area, and low mass.

Knives would have very low velocity, small contact area, and low mass.

Axes would have medium velocity, medium contact area, and medium-high

The material of the weapon makes the stats vary; Different kinds of metals would be better or worse for different kinds of weapons; Lead would make good hammers, but horrible spears

Obviously these stats can be adjusted for balance purposes.

I'm fairly sure we've been there and done that, discussion wise anyways.

SOOooooooo (drumroll please)

LURK MOAR!!!

(and welcome to the forums)

Sorry about that :(

I looked on the first page and 2 pages back and didn't find anything.

Sorry about that :(

I looked on the first page and 2 pages back and didn't find anything.

top right? little search bar.

This guy called Jed (whose posting habits you should emulate as much as possible) did a whole 3-part combat overhaul

Yeah, we haven't seen him around in a long while, so he's kind of an urban legend here :

As far as I know, Bioxx and Dunk know exactly what they want to do in the combat overhaul update already, trust me, it's going to be awesome. Great post though and

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!! :D

Yes me and Jed spent hours trying to fine-tune the ideas behind the combat, back in the early days :P

totally off topic (of this already off topic conversation...), you guys still play age of survival or what? i remember asking if someone could make a video for me to see : but never found any

I still lurk about here sometimes ;) .. I've just been so busy it is unreal -.- .. Yeah, there has been plenty of posts on this and, as mentioned before, dunk has a plan in mind for combat. That said, keep up the ideas because that seemed pretty solid :)

I still lurk about here sometimes ;) .. I've just been so busy it is unreal -.- .. Yeah, there has been plenty of posts on this and, as mentioned before, dunk has a plan in mind for combat. That said, keep up the ideas because that seemed pretty solid :)

He speaks! I thought you might have lost your fingers in an unfortunate smelting accident. Anyways, welcome back, and I hope things get less hectic for you :)

JED!!! You live still! I thought you died D:

... Did you ever meet him before, Trey? lol

Happy to see you are still alive, Jed :3 i hope you get a little more freedom soon.

... Did you ever meet him before, Trey? lol

Happy to see you are still alive, Jed :3 i hope you get a little more freedom soon.

I fail to understand your question... Yes I have been around more than long enough to have seen him post if that is what you're asking...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0