Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Revenge519

Iron and steel nails

61 posts in this topic

...GAHHHH!!! What is WRONG with you people?!

NOT ALL CARBOHYDRATES ARE SUGARS

All SACCHARIDES are sugars, like cellulose, but CARBOHYDRATES are any molecule containing carbon chains with hydrogen tacked on! So according to you, long-chain carbohydrates like crude oil or the nonpolar ends of triglycerides can just be drunk a teaspoon at a time to make the fucking medicine go down, eh?

By the gods

Sugars require a LOOP structure in the carbon chain! Glucose is a hexagon!

Be more specific!!!

Not to rain on your parade but all carbohydrates are sugars, saccharide is just a synonym for carbohydrates. What you mean are hydrocarbons, those are the "crude oil"-guys you mean.

Not to rain on your parade but all carbohydrates are sugars, saccharide is just a synonym for carbohydrates. What you mean are hydrocarbons, those are the "crude oil"-guys you mean.

I... I don't know who to believe, I'm so conflicted!

Give-a-fuck-ness meter: zero.

Because the chemical compositions of sugars and carbohydrates have everything to do with metal nails, right?

I wanted a FUN derail, like ponies or lisztomania, not... Science class :P

You should know this forum has an unusual amount of sciency people, I myself am just a wee babe, learning to walk. But yeah, science is going to happen here every once in a while, plus, I would assume the Doctor would be interested in science, and recreational mathematics in the face of burning up in a sentient sun.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Hydrocarbon

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Carbohydrate

i know wiki is not the ultimate source of information but on this problem, its exact enough.

(one point i want to make clear, i counted starch and similars as "sugar" since its like a chained up version of sugar... but thats a little difference compared to hydrocarbons.)

So, extremely simplified, Hydrocarbons don't have oxygen, and Carbohydrates do?

._: it... doesn't seems to make sense...

Hydro/Hydrates refers to hydrogen, while Carbo/carbon refers to carbon. Semantically, they would mean the same ._. but instead, they mean different things?

EDIT: Scientist form the forum, please don't kill me for this... :

Hydro means Hydrogen, the element. While Hydrate means water. This is because of this: Carbohydrates have (with a few exception) a formula that is the multiple of C(H2O) (If you don't know: H2O = water) For example, most sugars are C6 H12 O6. While Hydrocarbons are a composition of C and H without the Oxygen and do not really have a specific number of Hs per C. There are saturated ones that always have: Cn + H *2n + 2H, while there are others not saturated (they have double-bonds or cycles) with less H. And so on... if you want more details, just ask.

I'm just sitting here, learning. YAY!! Science!

Don't mind me, keep enlightening me. Continue.

Hydro means Hydrogen, the element. While Hydrate means water. This is because of this: Carbohydrates have (with a few exception) a formula that is the multiple of C(H2O) (If you don't know: H2O = water) For example, most sugars are C6 H12 O6. While Hydrocarbons are a composition of C and H without the Oxygen and do not really have a specific number of Hs per C. There are saturated ones that always have: Cn + H *2n + 2H, while there are others not saturated (they have double-bonds or cycles) with less H. And so on... if you want more details, just ask.

For example, the tail ends of lipids (fats) are hydrocarbons, they can be an LDL and be unsaturated (isn't at hydrogen capacity) and have kinks or bends in the chain, an HDL and be saturated and be full of hydrogen, causing the chain to be straight. And then there's trans fats, artificially saturated fats that don't quite get those kinks out.

HDLs are generally considered the "good" kind of fat, since they don't sink in your arteries and clot them. LDLs and trans fats are the ones that cause blood clots and heart disease, because of the kinks in the chain they create more drag and sink more easily in your blood.

(if anything is wrong here don't hesitate to yell at me :P)

Don't look at me with that bio stuff. Im the chemistry guy.... not much understanding in deeper biological processes. Just good with the molecules itself... ;)

Look, I think the only thing we have *really* established in all this is that... ... ...sugar-noodles.

Gah, this swiftly got too long for me to decide which post to reply too

I misread the word as 'hydrocarbon', and then just re-typed the word I saw in my reply, thinking I was typing hydrocarbon

Well, I was at least correct about what I thought I was saying

For example, the tail ends of lipids (fats) are hydrocarbons, they can be an LDL and be unsaturated (isn't at hydrogen capacity) and have kinks or bends in the chain, an HDL and be saturated and be full of hydrogen, causing the chain to be straight. And then there's trans fats, artificially saturated fats that don't quite get those kinks out.

HDLs are generally considered the "good" kind of fat, since they don't sink in your arteries and clot them. LDLs and trans fats are the ones that cause blood clots and heart disease, because of the kinks in the chain they create more drag and sink more easily in your blood.

(if anything is wrong here don't hesitate to yell at me :P)

Actually HDLs and LDLs are very complex spherical molecules, whose behavior in the blood stream has little to do with the types of fatty acids incorporated.

The reason that saturated and trans-fats are bad for you is that, when they get incorporated into the phospholipid bilayer of your cell membranes, they create stiff rigid sections that are easily broken, which kills the cell.

You see, saturated fats are, as you said, essentially straight lines. So when they cool to body temperature, they easily form together into one solid mass by laying right next to each other. That's why animal fat (mostly saturated) is solid at room temperature. When stuck into the fluid mosaic model of your cell, they kinda remove the 'fluid' part of that, and the cell's overall flexibility is reduced

Unsaturated fatty acids come in 2 configurations, however, based on the positioning of the double-bond. Trans-unsaturated chains have the bond set across the molecule, and therefore retain the line configuration of unsaturated fats. In addition to this, it makes them easy prey for ester hydrolysis, or 'rancidification'. Basically they 'go bad' quicker.

The other configuration the fat can take is Cis-unsaturated, which places the double bond to one side and forces the molecule to kink on one direction. This makes it MUCH harder for the molecules to line up neatly, and keeps them rather loosely scattered. Most plant fats (we call them 'oils') are cis-unsaturated, and that's the reason that your canola (or 'rapeseed') oil is liquid at room temperature even though your butter isn't. These fats, when incorporated into your cell membrane, keep things flowing smooth and flexibly, and are excellent for cellular health.

So eat more veggies kids, or your cells will rupture and die horribly

Look, I think the only thing we have *really* established in all this is that... ... ...sugar-noodles.

one of these days, one of these days....

you're going to wake up with several dozen spoons in your back sir

So uhhh wasnt this about nails?

Derailment my friend. Derailment is the official sport of this forum. It is a thing to jest about between the senior members of the forum. The claim that there is not one thread on this forum that has not been derailed.

The claim that there is not one thread on this forum that has not been derailed.

Posted Image

edit: i mean of course, to have a thread that doesnt get derailed

It's on! *epic music starts playing*

-snip-

Hey! -removes his like- I thought you wanted to make every single thread in this forums derail :<

(BTW, nice avatar :3)

Hey! -removes his like- I thought you wanted to make every single thread in this forums derail :<

(BTW, nice avatar :3)

lols betchya dont know what its from tho

but despite how much fun that'd be, i wanna get at least one thread we dont completely hurl off the rails nto a nearby town

lols betchya dont know what its from tho

but despite how much fun that'd be, i wanna get at least one thread we dont completely hurl off the rails nto a nearby town

Yeah... let's give it a shot for once :

*Goes through the rail taking the pennies he finds in the road*

EDIT: oh, yeah, and... nope, no idea where that comes from ._.

Yeah... let's give it a shot for once :

*Goes through the rail taking the pennies he finds in the road*

EDIT: oh, yeah, and... nope, no idea where that comes from ._.

HEY! I worked hard placing all those pennies?! Curse you JAG!! *Shakes fist*

But in all seriousness I found two recent threads we didn't derail, you can view them via these links,

http://terrafirmacra...ow-you-make-it/

http://terrafirmacra...and-infections/

Derailment my friend. Derailment is the official sport of this forum. It is a thing to jest about between the senior members of the forum. The claim that there is not one thread on this forum that has not been derailed.

Can I see a quote on that Kimbble? I haven't seen anyone say that we want to derail every single thread, it just kind sorta happens :/ :P

So uhhh wasnt this about nails?

Welcome to the TFC forums... where no topic is safe!

You'd effectively have to start a thread, post a few times and then get it locked before it derails since time is your true enemy there. You're gonna need a minimum post goal though, otherwise you could say any post locked after the first entry is a success, and we all know that's just a lie.

Can I see a quote on that Kimbble? I haven't seen anyone say that we want to derail every single thread, it just kind sorta happens :/ :P

I saw it somewhere, I'll look for it later.