Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Revenge519

Iron and steel nails

61 posts in this topic

Well I know when you place wood well its just wood right? why not use nails ot hammer it into place to make this more logical. And iron nails could be used for rails to pound them down.

Idk just a thought :)

Errr... so we are supposed to stick to dirt houses -pro tip: we can't make them- and caves until we get to iron? wooden nails would work pretty well, and be a little more accesible.

Complete construction overhaul! Bioxx said he was going to implement it but we have received very little detail on the actual additions. So in that case, we all have no idea what he is planning and can't begin to guess if what we talk about is even relevant.

This is my rant about construction...

We have one huge problem as of right now and that is trees, if we separate them like we do now it makes no sense for them to magically glue back together, people have talked about felling tree as an entity. We would have to recreate physicscraft to even begin to do this, which I'm guessing won't happen anytime soon although that would probably be the most amazing thing ever. So what the hell do we do we can't just randomly carry around a huge log can we? We can't make a tree item can we? This is the biggest problem facing construction if its fixed we could build as follows.

Start by living in caves same as always, make some kind of adobe hut or tepee or wigwam or something made of mud and sticks(this would require sticks being placeable and mud/mud with plant matter placeable on top of it. Next gather rocks cut down tree, drag log home, put log where you want continue building a log cabin (we would need a pulley system [physicscraft] or a ramp to place them on top of each other, if built incorrectly the walls will fall. After log cabin, now we finally move onto planks and two by fours, nails (preferably made with stone[knapping although they would be pretty weak] or iron) would be used to nail planks to an upright 2x4 or 4x4, this just means we need the redpower system of multiple blocks being placed in one area(that's preferable but not necessary). Finally protective paints and metal reinforcing enter with the age of metal.

Additional possibilities include brick houses, stone houses and stick houses (bundle of stick block similar to pile of wood block). Late game could include drywall, or stucco maybe some tiles also. Perhaps some metal walls if people were paranoid.

These additions would need benefits besides the fact that they are houses and they look pretty. An algorithm of some type would be necessary to determine strength. With weaker strengths a collision with an entity would mean falling over. It would affect blast resistance and possibly eventually wind resistance as well. To make protective paints useful a wood rot mechanic would also be nice.

Therefore we have a ways to go before nails will make any real sense.

Errr... so we are supposed to stick to dirt houses -pro tip: we can't make them- and caves until we get to iron? wooden nails would work pretty well, and be a little more accesible.

Or clay nails. Clay nails were used for a long time in some places. Could have rope-work too - lashing together raw logs. But we'll see what Bioxx and Dunk have come up with. :)

Or clay nails. Clay nails were used for a long time in some places. Could have rope-work too - lashing together raw logs. But we'll see what Bioxx and Dunk have come up with. :)

clay nails, lolwut? rope does sound cool, maybe not for a house, but we could lash together rafts instead of making cube boats

p.s. love your location

clay nails, lolwut? rope does sound cool, maybe not for a house, but we could lash together rafts instead of making cube boats

p.s. love your location

Yeah! Boats are too easy to make. I've tried making rafts before (to get out of a pretty unpleasant situation). It's not nearly as easy as it's made out. There's vines in vanilla (I haven't seen any in TFC but maybe I just haven't found them). Would be perfect.

My location is real. It's not pumkins. But thanks, SugarNoodles. :)

Hey! My location is real... I was out in the pumpkin patch at my farm when I wrote that. OMG, painful memories, there was SO MANY PUMPKINS 0.o I had to pick a couple thousand by hand. Interesting to note, Pigs LOVE pumpkins. betcha didn't know that!

My location is real. It's not pumkins. But thanks, SugarNoodles. :)

1. yes i know Satkatchewan is a real place, quite lovely if i remember correctly

2.SugarNoodles? Dafuq? I dont even.....

Noodles made out of sugar? Yuck.

"everyone likes different things" said my grandma, while eating noodles with dulce de leche :U wise, but still... yuck >_<

Hey! My location is real... I was out in the pumpkin patch at my farm when I wrote that. OMG, painful memories, there was SO MANY PUMPKINS 0.o I had to pick a couple thousand by hand. Interesting to note, Pigs LOVE pumpkins. betcha didn't know that!

1. yes i know Satkatchewan is a real place, quite lovely if i remember correctly

2.SugarNoodles? Dafuq? I dont even.....

I do know that. Although... pigs eat damn near anything, so really, saying that about w/e is a good bet. :)

All noodles are made out of sugar. Wheat/rice/whatever... all carbohydrates. Carbohydrates = sugar. I figured that was what your name meant but I guess not lol

I think Sk is lovely too. A lot of people think it's barren but that's cause they only drove the main highways. A lot of places are like that though "Oh gee... this giant flat stretch of highway is so boring. This place sucks." People suck. All land is awesome.

I do know that. Although... pigs eat damn near anything, so really, saying that about w/e is a good bet. :)

All noodles are made out of sugar. Wheat/rice/whatever... all carbohydrates. Carbohydrates = sugar. I figured that was what your name meant but I guess not lol

I think Sk is lovely too. A lot of people think it's barren but that's cause they only drove the main highways. A lot of places are like that though "Oh gee... this giant flat stretch of highway is so boring. This place sucks." People suck. All land is awesome.

but it still doesnt explain why you called me SugarNoodles, im still confused on that one

but it still doesnt explain why you called me SugarNoodles, im still confused on that one

Your name is Srgnoodles and that only has a 2 byte swap to Sgrnoodles which looks a lot like sugar noodles because a lot of people like to eliminate <vowels + one consonant and any spaces>. This is not dissimilar from the common convention used in txting where vowels are eliminated and 1 consonant is eliminated or swapped to be "cool".

If I'm wrong, I hope you correct me. This is a pattern I've observed with some degree of regularity, so I'm a bit anxious to find dissenting uses.

er...

Carbohydrates are a polymer of sugar molecules, but that doesn't mean it is sugar, it just breaks down into sugar. Which through the process of cellular respiration produces ATP that is then used as "energy" for the cell to perform various other vital functions.

and now for something slightly different...

Speaking of Cellular respiration, in ap bio yesterday we had to do a lab that involved cellular respiration, well more of a case study than a lab. But anyways, I digress, here's the scenario, seven people drop dead after taking Tylenol, all in the same neighborhood, in about a week. An autopsy reveals the the cause of death was hypoxia (lack of oxygen), but there is plenty of oxygen in the blood. After a chemical analysis of certain molecules in the cells it is revealed that NAD+ has abnormally low levels and NADH is abnormally high, this implies a problem with the electron transport chain, because NADH is being made, but isn't donating an electron to the ETC. So, with all that, what is the cause of all this?

You guys get 3 guesses, then i'll tell you.

ITS BIOLOGY TIME!!!!

EDIT: er, wow, that got out of hand :P

er...

Carbohydrates are a polymer of sugar molecules, but that doesn't mean it is sugar, it just breaks down into sugar. Which through the process of cellular respiration produces ATP that is then used as "energy" for the cell to perform various other vital functions.

Well so it depends on your enzymes! lol...

*snip*

ITS BIOLOGY TIME!!!!

I'm no biochemist, but I'm interested in the answer...

[iron and steel nails.... we so derailed this.]

Did almost the same thing last year but I can't remember the answer. Uhhh, lets see both sugars and and oxygen start the respiration and if there is a lot of NADH is there that means the mitochondria isn't working correctly probably a lack of whatever enzymes are necessary. Lack of this means lack of hydrogen to create the reaction to create water and that reaction is somehow vital to the system. I tried to find a tylenol isomer that had those effects but I ended up with this list.

http://www.molport.com/buy-chemicals/molecular-formula/C8H9NO2

So yeah, I'm too tired thats all I got.

*all but good at biology*

Err... magic? :_: no idea

Your name is Srgnoodles and that only has a 2 byte swap to Sgrnoodles which looks a lot like sugar noodles because a lot of people like to eliminate <vowels + one consonant and any spaces>. This is not dissimilar from the common convention used in txting where vowels are eliminated and 1 consonant is eliminated or swapped to be "cool".

If I'm wrong, I hope you correct me. This is a pattern I've observed with some degree of regularity, so I'm a bit anxious to find dissenting uses.

aahhhh, okay, yeah even i have no clue what the "srg" stands for, it might be a misspelling of "sgt" for seargent noodles or it might have been that just plain "Noodles" was taken and i needed to put something in front of it, i really dont know, i made this name up when i was like 8

And the answer is! *drumroll*

Cyanide!

Cyanide is an inhibitor for cytochrome c oxidase, an enzyme in the electron transport chain, and once cyanide is there it isn't going anywhere, it binds irreversibly. So without the electron transport chain functioning properly ATP cannot be made and you die from massive cell death because the cells cannot stay alive without ATP, since it drives almost all cellular functions.

How did these people ingest cyanide? No clue, I guess i'll find out Monday, er tomorrow :P

Wasn't there a recall of tylenol forever ago due to cyanide poisoning? They thought that someone did it intentionally though.

And the answer is! *drumroll*

Cyanide!

Cyanide is an inhibitor for cytochrome c oxidase, an enzyme in the electron transport chain, and once cyanide is there it isn't going anywhere, it binds irreversibly. So without the electron transport chain functioning properly ATP cannot be made and you die from massive cell death because the cells cannot stay alive without ATP, since it drives almost all cellular functions.

How did these people ingest cyanide? No clue, I guess i'll find out Monday, er tomorrow :P

... damn, i just can't read "Cyanide" without thinking about "cyanide&happiness" .-.

...GAHHHH!!! What is WRONG with you people?!

NOT ALL CARBOHYDRATES ARE SUGARS

All SACCHARIDES are sugars, like cellulose, but CARBOHYDRATES are any molecule containing carbon chains with hydrogen tacked on! So according to you, long-chain carbohydrates like crude oil or the nonpolar ends of triglycerides can just be drunk a teaspoon at a time to make the fucking medicine go down, eh?

By the gods

Sugars require a LOOP structure in the carbon chain! Glucose is a hexagon!

Be more specific!!!

All SACCHARIDES are sugars, like cellulose, but CARBOHYDRATES are any molecule containing carbon chains with hydrogen tacked on! So according to you, long-chain carbohydrates like crude oil or the nonpolar ends of triglycerides can just be drunk a teaspoon at a time to make the fucking medicine go down, eh?

By the gods

Be more specific!!!

Well, in some cases, alcohol can be used for making the medicine go down :P

Sure, it could kill you, but drink enough, and you won't even notice you just took that pill.

By the gods

Be more specific!!!

I knew eternal was going to come in here and correct me on something :P

Give-a-fuck-ness meter: zero.

Because the chemical compositions of sugars and carbohydrates have everything to do with metal nails, right?

I wanted a FUN derail, like ponies or lisztomania, not... Science class :P