Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

48 posts in this topic

This is a video of a japanese mod that came out recently... Flint tool? Less blocks per stack? Getting sticks from the tree's leaves? Doesn't all that sound a little familiar?

I'm just wondering if this can be considered a rip-off, mostly... ._.

anoying voice! its very similar to TFC but i rather await to see what bioxx and dunk has to say about this....

On the mod's website:

...did my best ... but subtle.  ※ I have respect for TerraFirmaCraft. ◆ / Information Details

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Also look at this, another one of his mods. The description he puts for it:

I raise to 10 times the rate of appearance of monsters.

Also, there is a daytime only day one, evening I will never dawn again and once at night.  ※ It can be changed in the config.  ※ I have respect for Creeper-Zombie Apocalypse Mod. ◆ / Information Details-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like TFC isn't the only mod he's ripping off.

o_O

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxkkZ2rAQVs&feature=g-all-u

This is a video of a japanese mod that came out recently... Flint tool? Less blocks per stack? Getting sticks from the tree's leaves? Doesn't all that sound a little familiar?

I'm just wondering if this can be considered a rip-off, mostly... ._.

Well... not to be going against the angry-mob, but there is no intellectual rights here, if you think so then there are a LOT of voxel based games that should be considered minecrafts ripoffs and like notch has said he is against DRM and his reasoning is against this blantant calling of things being ripoffs of others... So, I don't see any harm in this, you could see it like an japanese TFC-like mod, since as far as I know TFC does not have any translation, good for them if they could do something similar.

Well... not to be going against the angry-mob, but there is no intellectual rights here, if you think so then there are a LOT of voxel based games that should be considered minecrafts ripoffs and like notch has said he is against DRM and his reasoning is against this blantant calling of things being ripoffs of others... So, I don't see any harm in this, you could see it like an japanese TFC-like mod, since as far as I know TFC does not have any translation, good for them if they could do something similar.

I don't think there are intellectual rights, nor i think there aren't intellectual rights._: i just don't know. That's basically what i was asking.

...did my best ... but subtle.  ※ I have respect for TerraFirmaCraft. ◆ / Information Details

What a h... The spanish translation is a crap ._: instead of "terrafirmacraft" it said "tierra firme arte"...

I'm not thrilled about it, but I've asked Bioxx what he thinks. If we're against it, the most we can do is probably ask them to stop, and they seem to hold us in respect.

If anything I think it's good advertizing because, let's face it, Terrafirmacraft is doing it first and they're doing it better. If the creators of Terrafirmacraft have inadvertently made a new subcategory of Minecraft that others want to start emulating, it means more people coming to look for the real deal.

If anything I think it's good advertizing because, let's face it, Terrafirmacraft is doing it first and they're doing it better. If the creators of Terrafirmacraft have inadvertently made a new subcategory of Minecraft that others want to start emulating, it means more people coming to look for the real deal.

no. stop talking like this now.

I'm pretty sure dunk and bioxx don't want a horde of (noob) players coming around at beta claiming everything is broken when they can't make a stone pickaxe or whatever.

Few things are truly original and minecraft itself was inspired by Dwarf Fortress in addition to TFC. I would not be at all surprised if Dwarf Fortress had many inspirations for it too. This super-hardcore mod is nowhere near a TFC rip-off and clearly only inspired by it.

If the code is copied, it's a rip-off. If not it is someone's unique take on an idea that served as inspiration for their own project. That's how I look at it, at least. And if someone wants to code a TFC inspired mod from the ground up, I think we should be commending them, not insulting them. Because, as many of us know, TFC is a HUGE mod, that has taken a lot of work, and if someone is willing to spend that kind of time, we shouldn't stop them, because at that point isn't just a copy to get "fame" it is someone legitimately making a mod that is their own, and no doubt has some of their own features implemented alongside the inspired features.

(Despite being in the middle of my Sherlock RP session, this is not in character because I couldn't figure out how to say it in 19th century British English. So deal with it.)

It's just when you spend so many hours working out ideas to balance gameplay and the theme of your mod, code it, test it, recode it, test it again and finally find a stable, playable version of the game, you want to be able to stand there and say "Look what I did", not have someone take your idea and copy your final product.

When people play a game i worked my ass off on, I want them to be playing the game I worked my ass off on.

It's just when you spend so many hours working out ideas to balance gameplay and the theme of your mod, code it, test it, recode it, test it again and finally find a stable, playable version of the game, you want to be able to stand there and say "Look what I did", not have someone take your idea and copy your final product.

When people play a game i worked my ass off on, I want them to be playing the game I worked my ass off on.

That makes sense, and I agree with you. And, in my opinion the original is almost always better. I personally will be fiercely loyal to TFC for a long time. the point I was trying to make was that, essentially after someone has put it in that much work it really is something else, and no longer similar. Just look at TFC, it says on the info page of the website that TFC was inspired by Dwarf Fortress (I know this is different than taking a mod idea in the same game and replicating it, but it works for the point I am making). But with time TFC has grown into an awesome mod with lots of unique features that no one else has come up with, that has only the slightest bit of similarity with DF, pretty much just the rocks and trees.

So yeah, I get where you are coming from Dunk, and I would feel the same way if I were in your shoes. I just don't think we should tear down anything that might look like a rip-off, we should see where it goes first, take time to learn about it, and then make a judgement based on more information than some similar features.

The thing is Dunk, you should look at it like a work of art. Once it is done is not yours anymore, you'll still be its creator but the thing you've created is no longer attached to you, so if someone wants to create something like it take it as an homage and not a rip-off. Be happy if someone wants to copy you and if they can do it congratulate them, don't be like apple... (now we're probably going to derail even further)

The thing is Dunk, you should look at it like a work of art. Once it is done is not yours anymore, you'll still be its creator but the thing you've created is no longer attached to you, so if someone wants to create something like it take it as an homage and not a rip-off. Be happy if someone wants to copy you and if they can do it congratulate them, don't be like apple... (now we're probably going to derail even further)

To be honest, I hope TFC is never "done" until there is no question it is done. The fact that minecraft was released officially when it was was a tragedy in my eyes, because it wasn't anywhere close to "done". Releasing officially meant there was never going to be an update that added lots of cool, useful, and game changing stuff, and just stuff like mob heads on a stick. Now there have been some good things since 1.0 of VMC like, different colored woods, and more wood slabs/steps, and corner steps, but that's the extent, oh and jungles.

My worry is that the same thing could happen to TFC, once it comes out of beta, meaning it is now a "finished" product and there will be less room for major mechanics and the like to be added. I'm not saying I want you guys to work on the mod forever and never stop, as it is you're mod and so you get to make decisions on when it is done, and that would be incredibly rude of me to ask that you do that. I just hope you don't declare it "finished" too early and make the same mistake as vanilla minecraft did.

nope, no homages. none. No artwork, none of that shit.

He hath spoken and so it shall be!

I wish you the best of luck with this.

*snip* Just look at TFC, it says on the info page of the website that TFC was inspired by Dwarf Fortress *snip* But with time TFC has grown into an awesome mod with lots of unique features that no one else has come up with, that has only the slightest bit of similarity with DF, pretty much just the rocks and trees.*snip*

Speciation. Ideas are like species. They start off as nearly indistinguishable replicants, but bit by bit, idea by idea, each idea either dies or branches off turns into something unique unto itself -until that too branches onwards. Uniqueness is only a statement at a moment in the chain, and doesn't translate across larger scales.

I do not agree that original is always better. Original idea that strikes your head is actually never good and you should iterate on it several times, hatch for a bit, leave it, do some stuff, come back, see what the blazes you've done to it and reiterate it again. And then it might be good. Unless it was bad to begin with.

Speciation. Ideas are like species. They start off as nearly indistinguishable replicants, but bit by bit, idea by idea, each idea either dies or branches off turns into something unique unto itself -until that too branches onwards. Uniqueness is only a statement at a moment in the chain, and doesn't translate across larger scales.

please don't equate this argument to evolution, because I don't wanna argue against something I believe in :(

This isn't like evolution though, it's some guy stealing a car from a factory, stripping it down to 2 seats and an engine and saying "LOOK WHAT I MADE"

please don't equate this argument to evolution, because I don't wanna argue against something I believe in :(

This isn't like evolution though, it's some guy stealing a car from a factory, stripping it down to 2 seats and an engine and saying "LOOK WHAT I MADE"

It's not the same at all dunk, so you won't have to argue against evolution :P .. The difference is that the idea of TFC belongs ( to an extent) to Bioxx. No animal owns it's species. No animal is deprived of the recognition it deserves because another comes along. The difference is that you guys have worked hard on this mod and have built up a dedicated fan base. To come along and copy the idea, yet claim to be a fan, is a betrayal of Bioxx and dunk and everyone else who has worked to make this mod what it is.

please don't equate this argument to evolution *snip*

It's not the same at all dunk *snip*

Sorry, I was quite vague. What achartran said there just reminded me a lot of what I study and what my thesis is on and I kinda just threw that out there. The intent behind it was very much as Jed said though. Over longer time scales, one can trace the history of a "species" of idea and establish a lineage. But when you see, in the same time frame, a second thing that is made just like the first thing, it absolutely is a rip-off. Over time that may change. Both the ripoff and the original may take very different paths, and one (hopefully the rip-off, but history tells us that's not always the case) may even die off, or they both may succeed in very different ways.

In a single ecosystem of ideas though, the rip-off and the original are going to compete for the resources of our attention and our thoughts. The fittest, the most adaptable, will have the best shot at surviving.

(Also... somebody out there either had a very twitchy clicker finger, or really liked that post :) )

In a single ecosystem of ideas though, the rip-off and the original are going to compete for the resources of our attention and our thoughts. The fittest, the most adaptable, will have the best shot at surviving.

And there is when copyright laws jump on the scene, capture one of them (whoever was last in accusing the other of being a rip-off), brutally kill it and left it unburied to everybody to see they won't get away. Ever.