Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dijayus

TF Aesthetics mod

19 posts in this topic

First post here. I had seen TFCraft several months ago and thought at the time there were some interesting systems going on and that this was a mod to check back on later. Now that I've finally gotten around to investigating it again WOW am I impressed. This is such a fresh re-imagining of Minecraft.

I think the thing I love the most is the world. All of the rock and tree diversity adds so much flavor to the world and the terrain generator is far superior to vanilla. The more I play the more I question whether I could ever go back to vanilla stone and trees.

Now while I would love it if TFCraft were more compatible with other mods (I keep thinking how much more satisfying it would be to build those advanced machines if I knew I started from the lowly beginning of scraping rocks together to make tools), I get the feeling that's not happening anytime soon.

So I was wondering if there had ever been any talk or thought of an aesthetic version of TFCraft? It would maintain most of the terrain generation of TFCraft but not the mechanics. And best of all, it would be compatible with other mods.

Technically, TFC has a decent compatibility -it's even a mod's folder mod, for god sake!-, the main problem with it is that it makes most of the so needed vanilla items that other mods use for almost everything pretty damn hard to get... Cobblestone is still obtainable -by a cobble generator-, as well as iron items in general -zombies drop them rarely-, and redstone -it is crafted from a particular ore that i right now can't remember :-, and oak/birch/(don't remember the name of the pine-like vanilla tree) planks -they are part of the ingame trees, only re textured to fit real life equivalents-. Gold is extremely rare -you can't enter the nether, it will crash and corrupt your world. But you can find zombie pigmens if a pig is hitten by a lighting-, but foundable as well. And, if activated in the configuration file, TFC's diamonds can be used instead of the vanilla ones -though, only if they have a certain quality-. Coal and charcoal are also foundable... In the end, most vanilla items used in recipes are still there, but they are quite rare if they even exist at all.

If you ever try to get back to vanilla, you could notice a few changes in the way you play... specificially, you will be able to reach diamond faster than ever : the hard experience in TFC makes you a pro player in vanilla, if you ever decide to get back to it -highly unlikely-.

And it hasn't been thought or talked about... mostly because the terrain generation isn't finished, and therefore they would have to update two almost equal mods at the same time. It would be better if they first finish the generation algorithm, and THEN start thinking about an aesthetics-only version.

Another thing you can like is that almost everything is affected by gravity, that means that dirt blocks fall if you mine them, caves can collapse if you don't use support beams. There is also a new smithing part, awesome!

@JAG: the ore you didn't remember is cinnabar. It has the same name of the Thaumcraft ore. A good way to remember the name.

Another thing you can like is that almost everything is affected by gravity, that means that dirt blocks fall if you mine them, caves can collapse if you don't use support beams. There is also a new smithing part, awesome!

@JAG: the ore you didn't remember is cinnabar. It has the same name of the Thaumcraft ore. A good way to remember the name.

Yeah, it's a good way to remember it, if i had ever played with Thaumcraft :_. which i haven't

First post here. I had seen TFCraft several months ago and thought at the time there were some interesting systems going on and that this was a mod to check back on later. Now that I've finally gotten around to investigating it again WOW am I impressed. This is such a fresh re-imagining of Minecraft.

I think the thing I love the most is the world. All of the rock and tree diversity adds so much flavor to the world and the terrain generator is far superior to vanilla. The more I play the more I question whether I could ever go back to vanilla stone and trees.

Now while I would love it if TFCraft were more compatible with other mods (I keep thinking how much more satisfying it would be to build those advanced machines if I knew I started from the lowly beginning of scraping rocks together to make tools), I get the feeling that's not happening anytime soon.

So I was wondering if there had ever been any talk or thought of an aesthetic version of TFCraft? It would maintain most of the terrain generation of TFCraft but not the mechanics. And best of all, it would be compatible with other mods.

Welcome to the forum and NEVER discuss slicing, mods or addons to TFC. It should be on the rules by now... When TFC is complete then we can discuss that.

Technically, TFC has a decent compatibility -it's even a mod's folder mod, for god sake!-, the main problem with it is that it makes most of the so needed vanilla items that other mods use for almost everything pretty damn hard to get... Cobblestone is still obtainable -by a cobble generator-, as well as iron items in general -zombies drop them rarely-, and redstone -it is crafted from a particular ore that i right now can't remember :-, and oak/birch/(don't remember the name of the pine-like vanilla tree) planks -they are part of the ingame trees, only re textured to fit real life equivalents-. Gold is extremely rare -you can't enter the nether, it will crash and corrupt your world. But you can find zombie pigmens if a pig is hitten by a lighting-, but foundable as well. And, if activated in the configuration file, TFC's diamonds can be used instead of the vanilla ones -though, only if they have a certain quality-. Coal and charcoal are also foundable... In the end, most vanilla items used in recipes are still there, but they are quite rare if they even exist at all.

If you ever try to get back to vanilla, you could notice a few changes in the way you play... specificially, you will be able to reach diamond faster than ever : the hard experience in TFC makes you a pro player in vanilla, if you ever decide to get back to it -highly unlikely-.

And it hasn't been thought or talked about... mostly because the terrain generation isn't finished, and therefore they would have to update two almost equal mods at the same time. It would be better if they first finish the generation algorithm, and THEN start thinking about an aesthetics-only version.

Thanks for the tips. I did try to install IC2 and it installed but I didn't think I'd be able to get enough of the vanilla resources to make it work. Have you actually been able to play with any of the tech mods (IC2, Buildcraft, etc) and make any progress?

Yup! I'm figuring out all that stuff and while it can be tedious I am mostly enjoying it.

Welcome to the forum and NEVER discuss slicing, mods or addons to TFC. It should be on the rules by now... When TFC is complete then we can discuss that.

Thanks but why can't that be discussed now? I understand Bioxx and Dunk don't want add-ons yet. I've read their reasoning and I understand it. I realize the mod is still in development. That doesn't mean we can't discuss the future and the merits of certain features. Lets not be close minded.

Thanks but why can't that be discussed now? I understand Bioxx and Dunk don't want add-ons yet. I've read their reasoning and I understand it. I realize the mod is still in development. That doesn't mean we can't discuss the future and the merits of certain features. Lets not be close minded.

Suggestions are well received, but slicing the mod was already said no. People have asked just for just the javelin with a big NO coming from Dunk. Also the world gen is a bummer to not having it separate or an API... Anyway, lets see what the future holds...

Suggestions are well received, but slicing the mod was already said no. People have asked just for just the javelin with a big NO coming from Dunk. Also the world gen is a bummer to not having it separate or an API... Anyway, lets see what the future holds...

Ah I see. That's too bad. So slicing is out, add-ons are out, what about crossover mods? Like if an enterprising modder made a IC2 crossover where rubber trees generate, etc?

On a similar note has anyone used the vanilla recipes option in the config file? It isn't clear to me what exactly that does.

Ah I see. That's too bad. So slicing is out, add-ons are out, what about crossover mods? Like if an enterprising modder made a IC2 crossover where rubber trees generate, etc?

That is way out. That would not only require that you make an add-on but you would have to extend TFC classes... So yeah... OUT.

Basically anything and everything you can think of is out. Don't even try to recreate what we've done, we won't like that either.

Basically anything and everything you can think of is out. Don't even try to recreate what we've done, we won't like that either.

Don't say that Dunk, people will get the wrong idea even if it is true..

Dunk is just trained to say no because that's the usual answer that he gets from me for these kinds of questions :) I don't mind if someone wants to spend months recreating what we've done here as long as none of our code is used in the process. The likelihood of someone actually completing the project is so small that if they were to finish, I'd be first in line to congratulate them :)

As far as addons. We'll make it easier with an api in the future. But right now it's impractical for us to spend our time doing that.

In the future I'll be fine with addons, just not right now.

and that was an awesome answer! Really clear things up

I remember back in beta1 there was some kind of sightseeing version of TFC, but I don't remember what exactly that was, i.e. just blocks or just some of the mechanics.

Yeah, I'm really only Bioxx's parrot :/

Aw... Don't feel bad... Here have a cookie.

Shouldn't this have been in the suggestions forum? Just saying, then we could have a nice de-railed thread by now, and be talking about spilled spaghetti sauce and stolen souls.

Anyways, being serious, thanks for letting clearing some of that stuff up Bioxx, hopefully that will settle any future debates.

And dunk, I still think you're the best pre-historic dev fish ever. :)

If you're after the appearance of TFCraft, you could choose your favorite TFCraft textures and make your own texture pack for vanilla. Obviously you will only be able to use the textures from one of TFCraft's soil/rock types, but you could do this in <10 minutes with photoshop.

Yeah, I'm really only Bioxx's parrot :/

I prefer to think of you as the bouncer, you're the burly guy wearing the tuxedo shirt that way people know that Bioxx and co are approachable but still mean business.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0