Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kimbblesrath

Cubic Chunks in TFC

What do you think?   74 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cubic Chunks be implemented into TFC?

• EFF YEAH!!
    • Yeah!
    • I think so.
    • Meh.
    • No.
    • NO!
  2. 2. If you think it should be implemented, how many block high should it be? (bedrock to sky top)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

157 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen the mod Cubic Chunks? It was a mod back in the day of 1.7.3 Beta, and it stopped being maintained around 1.0. Basically what the mod did was increase the height limit - to 65504 blocks. This would normally cause a lot of lag, but what is did was this. Instead of having each chunk 16 x 16 x 65504, it made each chunk 16 x 16 x 16. Hence cubic chunks.

Now I was thinking, wouldn't it be awesome if this was implemented in TFC? There could be gigantic mountains, and breath-takingly deep ravines. Underground, and above ground generation would be far more dynamic. You could have Mt. Everest, or the Mariana Trench.

I realize that the full 65504 blocks would not really work as it would need a render over haul to even come close to seeing the mid-way of a large mountain, let alone the summit. I am not suggesting 65504, but more like 8192, or 16384. But answer the poll on that front.

Eternal, don't get all rage at me (or arch, noodles, or anyone) and say "JUST USE THE EFFIN' SEARCH BAR!!!!", or something along those lines. I did in fact use the search bar, and four posts came up. 3 of them, there haven't been posts since like September or August, so I left those alone. But the underground lakes one, was only discussed in brief detail. so I decided to start my own topic.

If one of you rages at me and says it has already been discussed, then pardon me and feel free to get a mod to lock it. (or even worse, brutally derail it! :P)

I would like to see you guys' input and feedback on this topic. Let this be the official Cubic Chunks topic! :D

If we could implement this, we would. For starters, it would remove all hope of TFC being a mods folder mod and would require so many base edits... you don't even know... But Bioxx and I are on board with this idea, it just probably won't happen.

I was tinkering with that... But the hard part is the smp. And yes would change base classes.

If we could implement this, we would. For starters, it would remove all hope of TFC being a mods folder mod and would require so many base edits... you don't even know... But Bioxx and I are on board with this idea, it just probably won't happen.

Awww. But I remember you saying somewhere that TFC doesn't need to be compatible with other mods, because it will eventuallly add all the cool (non-Tekkit-esque) stuff itself. Or maybe that was someone else. Also, before 1.3.2 (i think) TFC was a jar folder mod, and it was doing fine then.

I might be mistaken, but I thought compatibility wasn't really that high up on your list?

EDIT:

I was tinkering with that... But the hard part is the smp. And yes would change base classes.

What do you mean you were tinkering with it. Were you messing with TFC code to try and make it happen? I really suck with code, so I have no idea, but why would it be hard to do SMP?

DOUBLE EDIT:

To back up my reasoning on "Does compatibility really matter?", here is Azdoine in the "Thirst!" thread:

But why in fuck do you need to mod your mod? Both BTW and TFC have more content and playability than almost all other mods out there, and are designed to be played alone. Pretty much anything you can add will probably have a shitload of overlapping functionality, and probably be game breaking.

On a sidenote, who voted 1024 blocks?

Edited by Kimbblesrath

What do you mean you were tinkering with it. Were you messing with TFC code to try and make it happen? I really suck with code, so I have no idea, but why would it be hard to do SMP?

Not with TFC as of now... And I would be permabanned, right Dunk?

First I would have to make the vanilla work. Notch said he wouldn't implement because of some glitches on SMP

Not with TFC as of now... And I would be permabanned, right Dunk?

First I would have to make the vanilla work. Notch said he wouldn't implement because of some glitches on SMP

Dunk said you can do anything with the code as long as you are the only one who uses it. It stays on your computer, but cant go out of it.

And IMHO Bioxx and Dunk are better that Notch. (No offense Notch.)

EDIT: Here is the quote by Dunk on that:

......Instead of dealing with this case by case, we are putting a blanket "no" over all requests to make add-ons or mods at this time. No ifs ands or buts. No exceptions. (to distribute them anyway). Once this mod is on your computer you can do what you like, but don't facilitate others to do so. This means no sending files or instructions or anything of the sort. Do not let someone learn how to get your add-on our mod on their computer. ..

Edited by Kimbblesrath

Dunk said you can do anything with the code as long as you are the only one who uses it. It stays on your computer, but cant go out of it.

And IMHO Bioxx and Dunk are better that Notch. (No offense Notch.)

Haha hold your horses.

It is not easy, au contraire, there is a reason CC is halted... with constant changes in vanilla it is even harder to keep up the work.

Plus Dunk and Bioxx haven't done this amazing job all by themselves and is not done from scratch it.

Haha hold your horses.

It is not easy, au contraire, there is a reason CC is halted... with constant changes in vanilla it is even harder to keep up the work.

Plus Dunk and Bioxx haven't done this amazing job all by themselves and is not done from scratch it.

SO you are saying CC will possibly be implemented, just not now?

And I know Dunk and Biox didn't do it all themselves or from scratch. I am just saying I think TFC in terms of gameplay is better than vanilla. Also, this is what 5 people? And MC is atleast 30 people. and the updates in TFC are much more useful than MOST of the updates in vanilla.

And I know Dunk and Biox didn't do it all themselves or from scratch. I am just saying I think TFC in terms of gameplay is better than vanilla. Also, this is what 5 people? And MC is atleast 30 people. and the updates in TFC are much more useful than MOST of the updates in vanilla.

The first MC was Notch, basically.

But now anyone can make a voxel based game, if you search on steam greenlight and desura you'll find some. Anyway, back to CC... It is possible, not in the near future, I think. Let's see how far I can go or if CC gets back.

Oh and by the way, if CC could be implemented on minecraft from scratch there is almost no limit to the height. CC has to 'hack' a little bit of the code to increase the height.

The first MC was Notch, basically.

But now anyone can make a voxel based game, if you search on steam greenlight and desura you'll find some. Anyway, back to CC... It is possible, not in the near future, I think. Let's see how far I can go or if CC gets back.

Ah, I see. It looks like my opinion was badly judged then. Well, any ideas (anyone) for how this could be if it was implemented? Such as graphics, formations, etc?

are you saying that the TFC team is 5 people? It isn't, just Bioxx and I (as far as developers anyway, we have a couple artists.... somewhere)

are you saying that the TFC team is 5 people? It isn't, just Bioxx and I (as far as developers anyway, we have a couple artists.... somewhere)

Ya I was including the artists. Are they not active anymore?

If we DO implement this, I'm quite sure we'd go with the 8192 block world height. It allows for proper mountains (defined as 1000+ metres from base to peak) and deep oceans. I don't think we need to allow mountains to be like mount everest though. The only conceivable problem with making the world that tall though is that 4000 metres above sea level is 1/5th of the way from the equator to the pole....

But it would allow me to not only make sequoias grow to their FULL height, (real sequoias can grow to the height of TFC's tallest mountains) but TFC mountains could have sequoia forests on them without looking weird.

We would have to develop a new chunk state though, something like "semi-loaded"

Loaded chunks render blocks, perform updates for lighting, spawn mobs, firepits can burn, grass and crops can grow, etc etc etc.

Unloaded chunks do nothing at all.

Semi loaded chunks would only be able to render blocks.

The problem with making world so tall is that a lot of computers wouldn't be able to handle it, and I certainly don't want to go to all the trouble of allowing 4000 metre mountains and only have the bottom 100 metres render.

Allowing textures to reduce in quality with distance and far away chunks to render could potentially allow mountains to render in full.

It's a good idea. hard to implement, but good. Because I think mountains are too low.

Ya I was including the artists. Are they not active anymore?

Yeah we haven't heard from them in a few weeks, which isn't a good thing at all, because we (specifically I) need textures badly... kinda hard to make mobs if they have no skin...

maybe you could drive the forge guys to implement cubic chunks into forge? That should kill all problems and enable a lot possibilities for other mods. (or not) ?

Yeah we haven't heard from them in a few weeks, which isn't a good thing at all, because we (specifically I) need textures badly... kinda hard to make mobs if they have no skin...

And it's difficult to find new artists that draw (<--- this damn verb) like the old arists, because you only need to look an ingot to see that this texture isn't so common and not so easy to imitate.

One thing I read about a problem with this, is that you can end up falling faster than the lower chunks can load, or even just going down stairs faster. This could probably be worked around somehow, just saying it's something to consider as well.

Even low end pcs are able to handle 16x16x16 and even better than how they do now, the problem to them would be rendering more than 128 radius... So even if you have a tall world it may seem small...

For me the biggest problem is in lighting and interaction with different clients, that is hard to code... For me at least.

I don´ t think that this is interest of the forge team, they got other things to handle

Even low end pcs are able to handle 16x16x16 and even better than how they do now, the problem to them would be rendering more than 128 radius... So even if you have a tall world it may seem small...

For me the biggest problem is in lighting and interaction with different clients, that is hard to code... For me at least.

I don´ t think that this is interest of the forge team, they got other things to handle

My PC isn't that good, but it can handle 512 upwards chunks.

My PC isn't that good, but it can handle 512 upwards chunks.

As I've said, it probably will handle even better than vanilla, but the rendering may be a problem for low ends

As I've said, it probably will handle even better than vanilla, but the rendering may be a problem for low ends

Definetly the rendering will be a problem. Dunk's idea would work 100%. I get now why this would call for crazy base edits.

And a lot of people have polled.

Definetly the rendering will be a problem. Dunk's idea would work 100%. I get now why this would call for crazy base edits.

And a lot of people have polled.

Like I've said, it doesn'treally depends on the height to lag, if done right it could go to infinite as x and z on vanilla(not really infinite but you may not see the end, it is a really big number). Rendering is different, is how many blocks you actually can see at once, and that is subject of testing.

If we DO implement this, I'm quite sure we'd go with the 8192 block world height. It allows for proper mountains (defined as 1000+ metres from base to peak) and deep oceans. I don't think we need to allow mountains to be like mount everest though. The only conceivable problem with making the world that tall though is that 4000 metres above sea level is 1/5th of the way from the equator to the pole....

But it would allow me to not only make sequoias grow to their FULL height, (real sequoias can grow to the height of TFC's tallest mountains) but TFC mountains could have sequoia forests on them without looking weird.

What about going to just 4096? Assuming an even split between deep earth and surface, that's still room for 2000 blocks of surface height. Which is more than enough for life-sized sequoias, mountains, etc. Meanwhile, that's only 1/10th of the equator-pole range (and given that the map is still infinitely wide on the longitudinal scale, it's unlikely anyone is going to gripe TOO much about that).

What about going to just 4096? Assuming an even split between deep earth and surface, that's still room for 2000 blocks of surface height. Which is more than enough for life-sized sequoias, mountains, etc. Meanwhile, that's only 1/10th of the equator-pole range (and given that the map is still infinitely wide on the longitudinal scale, it's unlikely anyone is going to gripe TOO much about that).

nah.