Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kimbblesrath

Cubic Chunks in TFC

What do you think?   74 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cubic Chunks be implemented into TFC?

• EFF YEAH!!
    • Yeah!
    • I think so.
    • Meh.
    • No.
    • NO!
  2. 2. If you think it should be implemented, how many block high should it be? (bedrock to sky top)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

157 posts in this topic

What about going to just 4096? Assuming an even split between deep earth and surface, that's still room for 2000 blocks of surface height. Which is more than enough for life-sized sequoias, mountains, etc. Meanwhile, that's only 1/10th of the equator-pole range (and given that the map is still infinitely wide on the longitudinal scale, it's unlikely anyone is going to gripe TOO much about that).

Let me be a little clearer than Dunk... Nope.

If it isn't with cubic chunks more than 256 will make it lag. 4000 I don't even think your minecraft will start.

If forge had cubic chunks included.... That would open a new era for a lot of mods. ;)

If forge had cubic chunks included.... That would open a new era for a lot of mods. ;)

Forge wouldn't do that.

Forge wouldn't do that.

Well, maybe they will at some point, but we still can't rely on them to do something that we want, and they don't necessarily.

for those of you who don't know what can be achieved with cubic chunks.

From the laast video you can see some deviations on the noise generation between chucks and that the rendering distance is somewhat limited, but it is amazing even so.

It would only be logical, that if something included cubic chunks that it would be forge. Since like dunk said, it requires base files to be modded and forge builds upon the fact that it is the only thing that mods base files / goes into the jar file. If i understood dunk right, there is no other way to make cubic chunks than doing in the jar itself by editing Minecraft files. Sure we cannot tell them what to do, but maybe it would be possible to hit the developers of forge with that idea and see what they think about it. Imagine realisticly high mountains and valleys with the generation code of TFC....just pure awesomeness.

Videos and words

Wooooow, the world of my dreams, with higher mountains, extremely high. Incredible, never see something similar. As of now, going to fully support this idea.

It would only be logical, that if something included cubic chunks that it would be forge. Since like dunk said, it requires base files to be modded and forge builds upon the fact that it is the only thing that mods base files / goes into the jar file. If i understood dunk right, there is no other way to make cubic chunks than doing in the jar itself by editing Minecraft files. Sure we cannot tell them what to do, but maybe it would be possible to hit the developers of forge with that idea and see what they think about it. Imagine realisticly high mountains and valleys with the generation code of TFC....just pure awesomeness.

No it would not, since it would completly change the minecraft engine if forge would do it would be hell for every modder. It isn't just forge who alters base files you know?

no i dont know. I got about not clue about mod coding itself. So what else is changing base files? Can mods that work with forge do that?

Yeah I think the full 4000 +- blocks would be amazing for TFC, not just because it's realistic but because it allows for so much more stuff! A big thing about CC that we have to consider is that TFC terrain gen currently works off the premise that the worlds are not very tall bottom to top, but if we implement this, I think it should only be accompanied by a complete overhaul on the geologies and terrains of TFC. I think mountain ranges and rock strata should be changed completely to form realistically; you would find rock layers generating more logically, meaning igneous extrusive and intrusive rocks might be found in proximity to eachother with mineral composition similarities and caves would spawn in porous sedimentary rock much more than igneous or metamorphic. I think surficial layers would have to be nearly exclusively sedimentary, except in cases of erosion as commonly happens with mountains where uplift exposes the sedimentary rocks to wind and rain which erode, exposing bear rock like granite underneath. I think oceans could have proper depths and volcanoes could be implemented rudimentarally. Ore gen would have to be changed, I think and structure gen should be changed greatly. I would suggest ravines forming only in sedimentary rocks and exposed to the surface. I would like to see more geological formations as well, such as canyons and gorges, I'd like savannas and proper deserts and jungles and brush and huge coastal forests and bear tundra. All of this is why I originally told Bioxx we needed bigger worlds... He wants people to be able to travel between biomes whilst I wanted the complete opposite. Ancient peoples very often only ever knew of the locale they lived in, but had specialized skills and abilities to do this. I wanted a game where you could explore and learn and build and grow in a completely different way depending on where you lived. The reason this idea was scrapped though iirc is that we were having spawn issues, we couldn't guarantee that a spawn other than one at the world origin would be on land, the preliminary tests often spawned us into oceans. The only solution at the time was to make sure that +-10000 z would be land and spawn the player there, but this made it impossible for people to experience different games as they would all spawn around the same place. Taller terrain might encourage a revamp of terrain gen, methods of locomotion and *might* help me convince Bioxx to give me larger worlds.

I say larger worlds because a large canyon might have a different climate at the top and bottom 0.o

ok now that post was pure awesomeness. :o

But my question still is: is it possible to implement something like this into MC without completly isolating TFC to itself?

ok now that post was pure awesomeness. :o

But my question still is: is it possible to implement something like this into MC without completly isolating TFC to itself?

I am thinking that it would have to make a lot of changes to the files. To be reasonable, it would also have to make changes to fog, rendering, and possibly lighting. I don't know much about Java, so someone who does, please correct me if I am wrong. But I'm pretty sure Forge *could* do it.

again... Forge could do it but would not. The reason is forge doesn't make mods or change base files so far as to be another chunk manager. They just make it easier to mod.

Now, how far does it change base files? Lets just say it changes the minecraft.java one of the main classes. Not only that but everything that is tied to chunks... You may even argue that it won't be minecraft anymore, won't be far from the truth.

Like Dunk said, the way biomes and world gen is made woul have to be completly changed. Anyway this is yet far. I'll see what I can do...

Allowing textures to reduce in quality with distance and far away chunks to render could potentially allow mountains to render in full.

Optifine mipmapping?

I have to say this: Robinton (creator of CC) is awesome! He left the source code there so anyone can edit it, this makes it easier, although the code is for the pre-beta... A LOT has changed, but if this comes true it is because of him!

I have to say this: Robinton (creator of CC) is awesome! He left the source code there so anyone can edit it, this makes it easier, although the code is for the pre-beta... A LOT has changed, but if this comes true it is because of him!

Really? WOW! I didn't know that. Can you give me a link?

Mipmapping wouldn't cut it. Even the beastliest video cards would die trying to mipmap several million (billion? -probably billion) block textures. Probably the most efficient way would be (similar to what Dunk mentioned earlier) some kind of render-only loading occur. Because of the on-screen size beyond load distance though, that load could actually just be a single colour - average from the pixels in the texture. The background rendering would then just apply a low-radius gaussian blur to smooth the image.

To further speed the process, since movement between regions would be relatively insignificant to the background, the background could actually just be a spherical 2-D image - it's own texture. As a background process a separate thread could take care of changing the pixels that are way out at the extreme distances. This would increase the time to load a world rather a lot, but it would keep the performance hit pretty low.

I think the rendering is actually less of an issue than the physics though. Gravity sucks. (I know cause it says so on my shirt.)

Mipmapping wouldn't cut it. Even the beastliest video cards would die trying to mipmap several million (billion? -probably billion) block textures. Probably the most efficient way would be (similar to what Dunk mentioned earlier) some kind of render-only loading occur. Because of the on-screen size beyond load distance though, that load could actually just be a single colour - average from the pixels in the texture. The background rendering would then just apply a low-radius gaussian blur to smooth the image.

To further speed the process, since movement between regions would be relatively insignificant to the background, the background could actually just be a spherical 2-D image - it's own texture. As a background process a separate thread could take care of changing the pixels that are way out at the extreme distances. This would increase the time to load a world rather a lot, but it would keep the performance hit pretty low.

I think the rendering is actually less of an issue than the physics though. Gravity sucks. (I know cause it says so on my shirt.)

wait, you're CANADIAN?

welcome to the group, you make 3, (as far as I can tell)

wait, you're CANADIAN?

Yeah lol. Hence the location :) Rider pride and all that. (I could care less about the riders actually. But don't tell my neighbours.)

wait, you're CANADIAN?

I have some relatives in Canada. But I never see the white snow that you probably can see :'( Canadian snow I mean

We're going to derail this thread aren't we?

Seriously, guys? Please don't detail this of all threads. It's got some really good ideas going.

can somebody give dunk a warning for derailing? or he is that one kid who owns the ball and will not lets us play if we piss him off?