Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Azdoine

Remove F3

50 posts in this topic

I don't want to get rid of the debug info, or the co-ordinates, I just want to take the co-ordiantes out of the hands of cheaty players who can't navigate on their own.

Co-ordinates could remain on creative mode, or some such.

yknow cheaty players prolly arent gonna play a mod thats this complex and doesnt give them extremely op things within 4 minutes of starting

I don't really consider myself cheating. Seriously, some of us just cant find our way in a virtual world. We don't want to spend all our time building safety houses in all corners of the world. I don't want to spend an hour building an awesome medieval castle never to see it again.

So make landmarks. There are other ways to navigate.

It's not my 'addiction'. I get tired of the riduculous metagame that is co-ordinates. Seems like a great way to add some measure of believability to the game.

But the F3 function was never meant for you in the first place

That's like complaining that your PS2 game supports gameshark cheats

So make landmarks. There are other ways to navigate.

Yeah that works great if your decently powered machine can handle a rendering distance that can spot those landmarks (my well-powered machine has issues I'm trying to figure out) at a useful distance. And yep, I could fill my walls with paper-drawn maps of my world in a desperate attempt to deal with my directional impairment in virtual worlds. But a little sticky paper with a pair of cords works better and I don't have to spend hours of my life wandering an MC landscape just to find a safe place to sleep. Iow... 2 numbers equals a landmark.

as been mentioned before. making it a choice to disable in smp sounds logical.

But honestly. this still doesn't really sound like something bioxx should be spending time with. go bark at Jebs door instead and he'll might implement it in future vanilla minecraft updates. it would have absolutely nothing to do with TFC, but everything to do with customizing your own minecraft experience.

Without coords.. how in the hell should ppl on a server be able to meet?

Tell me pls, if im living 4k blocks away of someone, how shall i find him without coords? And if you hate coords, don't look at them as the others said.

I think this is one of those things that just has to be left up to the player's choice. Without coordinates, it's very hard to coordinate with other players. Also, hiding the position on the F3 screen is just a waste of effort, because client side map mods would still show it, so you're not stopping anyone from continuing to use them.

Personally, I am looking forward to the 1.4.2 mapping updates and may try playing without Rei's minimap. I don't like how Rei's shows areas I haven't explored yet, and the vanilla maps now seem to be better. Although who knows when TFC will be compatible with 1.4.2, and even if it is, if we'll be able to make vanilla maps anyway.

Right now our community is only partially on the server I playing and we're living at about six to seven thousand blocks away from spawn. And almost all of this - is freaking huge ocean with occasional island with nothing or a single tree. Now imagine some of my friend also starts to play on this server. How exactly do I tell him where to go without coordinates? Landmarks? No way I'm letting any other guys to have even a glimpse of knowlegde where I am - they're wiped entire area around spawn from animals, ate the meat and now whining they can't find any food while continiously dying of hunger and fall damage. And they won't hesitate to wipe our farms as well.

And there's ocean. Towers of cobble from bottom anyone? "Go south untill fourth deep pit, turn west, go till sixth, then again turn south and..." Not to mention that you have to place landmarks while going TO the place for the first time, which for our case - while you're freshly spawned fleeing from ravaging hungry horde. Because when you will try to go back, you won't have any idea where the spawn is.

At least IRL you can navigate by star location.

And no, we can't change server right now, we don't have sufficient host.

I'd like the option to make this a serverside config.

In addition, it'd be nice to have an easy-to-acquire sort of compass so you can have more conveniences when you get metals (like magnetizing a needle and using that for a compass).

I'd like to see topographical maps instead of vanilla maps that have a MUCH smaller range, so you have to spend more time filling in the map if you want it completely full. An easier method of making copies would be nice as well, I don't like the shift-click business in vanilla.

I am entirely against removing navigation. The big reason is SMP. Players, and excuse what I am about to say, are generally very, very stupid. The smart ones always run as far from the main spawn as possible to avoid the greifers, the lechers, and the general idiots who kill anything that moves 'because they can'

Cords should never be removed as then a player who wants to show his close friends what he has been doing for 2 months straight will want to be able to legitimately give that person a direction to go without worry that they will get lost in 5 minutes.

my vote: Hell no. You really want this, then make a server mod.

I like coordinates, because while baseline directions would be possible, I'd rather focus on playing what is already a good challenge of a game (not to mention the damn near impossibility of finding anyone else in SMP). Also, for those looking for ways to navigate without the use of very frequent landmarks, the method is fairly simple: note the direction of the rise and fall of the sun and moon and base any directions given off of that. "Follow the sunrise until you hit the basalt mountain and then travel by boat with the moon setting on your left shoulder.

"Follow the sunrise until you hit the basalt mountain and then travel by boat with the moon setting on your left shoulder.

This will work, but not always. As I said, on our seed there's bloody huge ocean in between, where there's no mountains. And while you still could refer to patches of basalt on the bottom, they are not that common and I actually can't remember if there is something like that on the way home from spawn.

I find following the sun and moon easier on the open ocean, as there are fewer obstacles to throw you off course, and thus you can keep a straight line better, at that point, you give a straight line direction and travel when the astral bodies are in the view to allow you to keep that line.

You actually can follow water ripples to keep the straight line along the row of blocks, but there's almost nothing to tell you if you need to turn and when do you need to turn, if island you're looking for is not on the same row.

I'm not saying you can't still adapt if coordinates were removed, but in this case addition of meaningful stars would be very nice to aid with navigation. That's how our ancestors navigated before compasses were a thing and maps were unwritten. And there's no need to make stars into constellations as players can do this themselves - just make so the bloody thing doesn't move around.

the entire sky would need to be reworked to the sun and moon are separate as are any planetary bodies.

Yes, I am aware of that. Proper stars require to make existing skydome transparent, with exception for sun and moon, and add second static skydome that changes once per 12 in-game hours. I am pretty sure that sunrises and sunsets aren't parts of skydome so they don't need to be changed at all.

That's still base classes changing though.

I'd say that warrants a new suggestion thread for changing how the astral system works.

I am not feeling free enough to start suggestion thread due to how shy am I.

This is not for asking for skydome to be changed - it's rather to state that I'm not okay with bloking coordinates from being seen in the game staying the way it is right now.

At the end of the day, people that want coordinates badly enough will add rei's minimap to the game, so even if the coordinates are removed from F3, it's all good.

I think that this will be easier as TFC moves into the future. Humans navigate the world via distinct landmarks or points of interest, but when every block of dirt or grass is exactly the same, you can't say "Follow the path down the hill, see that big oak? Past that and around the boulder"

I'd like to see a world where things can be unique enough for this to be possible.

ie, I want boulders, tree growth and other foresty things like leaf litter, rotting logs, etc etc.

Summarizing in a few words what you said with your last few posts on the forum: This mod will not be finished within one year from now and with finished i only mean what you want in is in, not balanced or perfectly bugfree. Am i getting this right?

Summarizing in a few words what you said with your last few posts on the forum: This mod will not be finished within one year from now and with finished i only mean what you want in is in, not balanced or perfectly bugfree. Am i getting this right?

Sounds eeringly like the development of a certaingame called.... minecraft!

ie, I want boulders, tree growth and other foresty things like leaf litter, rotting logs, etc etc.

Ooo and worn-in paths cause people have walked on that patch of dirt a million times.

(Edit: I can't not think about this now. That would pretty much completely solve my inability to find my way around. It would also be cool for the AI... cause wild animals make and use paths too. They could roam the countryside, subtly drawn to those pathways.) It doesn't feel like a tough thing to do... but not sure. I've never looked at the code concerning grass.)

(Editmoar: Nope, I'm convinced it would be pretty easy. Just a new path-block with a couple degrees of wear applied to it that gets swapped in depending on how much it's been walked on. Random tick could reduce that counter over time to regrow the grass around it. This wouldn't mod the world generation because it would be a swap of the block, not something that gets generated anew.))

'I think that this will be easier as TFC moves into the future. Humans navigate the world via distinct landmarks or points of interest, but when every block of dirt or grass is exactly the same, you can't say "Follow the path down the hill, see that big oak? Past that and around the boulder"

I'd like to see a world where things can be unique enough for this to be possible.

ie, I want boulders, tree growth and other foresty things like leaf litter, rotting logs, etc etc.'

If I may, I can suggest you look to making/using an ascetic mod that applies a number of textures randomly to a block. Perhaps if defined by location(cord), it would mean that a tree at 1,42 always looks different then the one at 54, 3. I havent thought this out, but It should be easily done. I believe there is an open source mod out there that does this already. given a toggle option would remove lag related issues caused by this addition.