Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Guest Blue_Beluga

Improving Leather

28 posts in this topic

I think leather needs a bit of improving. I think leather could be handled a bit differently.

Instead of getting leather from animals you should get animal flesh, individual to the species. Combining this with a rock or piece of wood in your crafting would give you rawhide. Putting rawhide in water and allowing it to sit for a while will give you raw leather.

This is where tanning comes in. You could craft a tanning hole. Tanning leather would require you to build a 3 x 3 hole in the ground with water, with any blocks around the outside above it. Then you throw in some natural wood (not planks, and has to be from specific trees) about 7 - 10 should do it. Then throw in the raw leather. The water should appear to bubble. Of course that isn't realistic, but how else would you know you'd done it right? After a long wait (about two days in-game) your raw leather will have become Leather, ready for use.

Tell me what you think in the comments!

I think leather needs a bit of improving. I think leather could be handled a bit differently.

Instead of getting leather from animals you should get animal flesh, individual to the species. Combining this with a rock or piece of wood in your crafting would give you rawhide. Putting rawhide in water and allowing it to sit for a while will give you raw leather.

This is where tanning comes in. You could craft a tanning hole. Tanning leather would require you to build a 3 x 3 hole in the ground with water, with any blocks around the outside above it. Then you throw in some natural wood (not planks, and has to be from specific trees) about 7 - 10 should do it. Then throw in the raw leather. The water should appear to bubble. Of course that isn't realistic, but how else would you know you'd done it right? After a long wait (about two days in-game) your raw leather will have become Leather, ready for use.

Tell me what you think in the comments!

Already discussed about this. Not properly the leather, but the feature of the animal flesh is already discussed.

Indeed, this was discussed back in the great case of 1823, during which I solved the murder of the tanner who wanted to alter the chemical process of leather tanning. The Leather Tanners Guild sent an assassin to murder him in his shoppe while he was working on his new formula. Suffice it to say, No verdict was given and the Guild has not been held responsible as of yet due to legal cockery.

(translation: Yeah, we've talked about leather working before, but we don't have a definitive confirmation from the devs.)

I like the methodology behind this, and the simplicity. Not sure if something like this will be coming with the butchering (if that's still something planned), but I hope so. As far as the bubbling part though, not sure that would fit. You'd know you're doing it right by the leather successfully tanning. Nothing teaches better than failure.

I'm biting my tongue a bit in this direction, but I can say that tanning is a planned feature.

I'm biting my tongue a bit in this direction, but I can say that tanning is a planned feature.

and i assume it wont involve stockpiling massive ammounts of dog poo right?

-one of the things i hated about BTW tanned leather-

and i assume it wont involve stockpiling massive ammounts of dog poo right?

-one of the things i hated about BTW tanned leather-

Holy crap yes.

Yeah dumg is crude, but I liked the gameplay mechanic behind it.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but historically, dung was also used in the tanning process.

It was. You either used dog shit or pigeon shit to bate the hide after scudding. Incidentally, they also soaked the hides in piss. That's a couple of steps before bating, though.

Here's the Wikipedia article, for an overview of tanning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning

I'd say that, for the sake of simplicity, as well as making the process more pleasant, the use of feces and urine should not be included. If you need more ingredients than leather, they should probably be salt and oak bark.

urine, feces... uggggghhh.... God, i will never wear leather things for the rest of my life...

what works is what works, sadly.

question is, How did they find out shit n piss did the job in the first place?

Well, they probably didn't had toilet paper in those times, so they had to use something else...

Well, they probably didn't had toilet paper in those times, so they had to use something else...

The problem is - you have to leave peace of leather like this for several days and then come back and look what happened to it.

The problem is - you have to leave peace of leather like this for several days and then come back and look what happened to it.

There wasn't that much people in that age that could afford 1 piece of leather a day, you know? Maybe a hermit which lived nowhere close to any water body used it, then urinated on it when he was drunk, fell asleep for several days and then discovered he had tanned leather.

I'm about to puke now, don't make me think about how this leather tanning process was discovered any more, please...

It was a serious question, How would you find something out like that.

There are plenty of other methods that don't require such disgusting thoughts. Lime/salt worked for the first part of the process and would replace urine. In the second part of the process many types of bark could be used which would replace dung (although innards were also used [the brain mostly]). Could I live with this yes, however I would much prefer for feces not to be added to the game as it is honestly disgusting to think of keeping a chest full of feces.

Although, we would get in TFC the same meaning to this phrase it has in BTW: "THIS CHEST IS FULL OF SH+T!"

BTW has already used boiling leather with dog crap to make tanned leather, I see no reason why Terrafirmacraft can't do it better, such as the salt and wood/leaf tannin method. For a steady supply of salt rather than having to use rock salt, filling either buckets or bowls with "salt water" by right clicking on a water source while in an ocean or coastal biome, and then making them placeable so they can be left to evaporate would provide a means for salt generation, and an entirely new industry and commodity for SMP servers. Using an axe on a plank of wood could provide wood chips of either that type of wood or a generic one depending on how much effort is desired to implement it. Other things could provide wood chips as well, such as turning a log into planks would leave behind some wood chips as byproduct to it, carving a bowl, even chopping a tree.

Be Bear Grylls

You could ask this of pretty much anything humanity has done, Imagine going into tfc, or even Minecraft proper without any guidance, You're not likely to figure out most of this stuff.

I'm going to say 'redo achievements' one more time even though nobody listens to me on that problem. It is far better than forcing them onto an outside program aka the wiki.

if it will be realised in TFC - i'm think it must be by that way:

1. diggin 3x2x3 hole like this:

layer -1

GXG

XXX

GXG

layer -2

GGG

GXG

GGG

Where G - some type of ground (no reason what is it). X - nothing (digged)

3. Putting in planks in position like this:

layer -1

GPG

PXP

GPG

layer -2

GGG

GPG

GGG

Where G - some type of ground (no reason what is it). X - nothing (digged). P - Planks of any type.

2. filling it water like this:

layer -1

GPG

PWP

GPG

layer -2

GGG

GPG

GGG

Where G - some type of ground (no reason what is it). X - nothing (digged). P - Planks of any type. W - Water (form wooden buckets).

3. dropping there wood and salt. And this become a Tannery. With own gui, where inserted processed leather (maybe some type like a TFC forge).

============================> Water changes color, planks (maybe) too (become more dirty) . More darker water - better and faster tanning proccess will be. With time and tanning water will clearer.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Tanned leather armor must be better than simply leather.

Tanned leather armor may be upgraded to studded leather.

..... and..... it must be repairable by combining with tanned leather pieces.

if it will be realised in TFC - i'm think it must be by that way:

-snip-

Although I'm not sure if the specifics are perfect, I really don't mind it but I'd leave that up to Bioxx, The idea however is exactly what we need, more real world building with functional uses, the bloomery, forge, charcoal pit, are incredible simply for the fact you build them and use them, no really special steps to do so, which I love, and this method you propose is about perfect, I'd like if it was more like the charcoal pit where it's adjustable, so you could have a 1x1 vat which holds 5 pieces of leather at a time and then, if you expand it maybe a 2x2, or 3x3

Although, for the stage which we actually use leather it might not make a ton of sense to go through that work.

Still, we use leather MUCH longer than in vanilla, and if we had bags or clothes and such it'd gain more importance.

Can we dye leather in the most recent version?

I didn't even check, must hunt down more squid!

Edit:

Lovely, you can dye leather now, sadly the only colour I'd really want is black or dark red, so I need many more squid...

Edit 2:

Also, dying vats on top of the tanning system instead of vanilla dying mechanics.

I'd say make it that all current recipes that require leather change to requiring the tanned leather, and then of course the studded leather stay the upgrade to armor and such as said above. I still think metal-level tools should use a handle crafted from either a stick and tanned leather or a carved log and tanned leather, makes more sense than just popping a stick into the tool you spent so much effort to make a head for.

Also, with the increased need for leather, either hunting parties will expand, or breeding will becomes more required for extensive economies.

I'd say make it that all current recipes that require leather change to requiring the tanned leather, and then of course the studded leather stay the upgrade to armor and such as said above. I still think metal-level tools should use a handle crafted from either a stick and tanned leather or a carved log and tanned leather, makes more sense than just popping a stick into the tool you spent so much effort to make a head for.

Also, with the increased need for leather, either hunting parties will expand, or breeding will becomes more required for extensive economies.

Maybe with that position relation of crafting tools:

• Crafting without leather Durability = 0.8 * MetalHeadDurability
  • Crafting with leather Durability = 0.9 * MetalHeadDurability
  • Crafting with tanned leather = MetalHeadDurability
===========

For studded armor we need studs and we have many metals/alloys... and this is may do good thing and bad thing.

bad thing: too complex in programming (maybe)

good thing: many types of studded leather.

Why good thing is REALLY good. After also one step - cloth armor - we may bring in game game-classes: fighter/thief/mage. With bonuses/penalty for type of armor per game-class.