Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sting_Auer

The Official Help Dunk With His Homework Thread [Drink cactus juice! It'll quench ya!]

110 posts in this topic

uh, topic is up to me, anything from the course. Same history course as last time. 1-2 paragraph intro, 1 paragraph background information about time period, 5-6 page body, 1 paragraph conclusion. Full citations, and i have to use all sources in the text and handouts, no exceptions. It has to be argumentative, ie must contain "this essay argues that ...", and she said it should be 1500 -2000 words.

30% of final mark.

Never had to write a full essay like this before, so I want tips on conventions and organization and stuff.

Do you need to write it in front of her or do you need to write it at home?

If you need to write it in front of her, I suggest you to try at home. Make the essay, doesn't mind if it's boring. Doesn't mind if it takes too long. You need to make a good essay. First of all do you have the motivation, the will to do this essay?

Hmm. Sounds like she's given you a few guidelines... there aren't that many rigid ones, depends a lot more on individual profs. (Though I will note that some profs enjoy the game of saying nothing about such guidelines just to see who will make use of their office hours and such.)

Argumentative history paper... all I can add then is, 'don't pick the easy one' lol. I'd imagine the sources present some positions, might be worth hitting Google Scholar to see what other historians say on the topic too. Find something that makes the most sense.

any citation format, APA, MLA, as long as it's standard. And I write it at home. If it's not in at 9 am on monday, I lose 10%, 15% if I get it in on tuesday and it won't be accepted after that.

welp, I've been an idiot and procrastinated reallly hard on this essay (I actually picked up my guitar which I haven't done in months and practiced for 10 hours yesterday instead of writing it, and it's due tomorrow) I think I can pull it off, but I'm not planning on sleeping tonight. To help me along here, I need some tips on how to do the bibliography and embedded citations. I can use any standard format, but I haven't had to do a bibliography or cite my sources in months and I've forgotten. help help help pls.

EDIT: something else I should mention, it's a history essay, and it has to be argumentative. My prof said I have to use EVERY source in the text that is remotely related to my argument. She said I have to look at them from as many perspectives as possible to either make it work in my favour, make it work BETTER in my favour, or have it work against me and then get one of the other sources to counter it. Do you guys have any easy tips on how to quickly dissect a document from different perspectives?

Do you guys have any easy tips on how to quickly dissect a document from different perspectives?

I can help, but not in a quick way. You have a text, right?

Then this text has different arguments. Search every argument on the wiki and read more.

I can help, but not in a quick way. You have a text, right?

Then this text has different arguments. Search every argument on the wiki and read more.

I'm also not allowed to do research outside of the excerpts from the historical documents she's given us :/

I'm also not allowed to do research outside of the excerpts from the historical documents she's given us :/

That's a big shame. But doesn't mean that it's impossible. You need to write an essay about your text, right?

That's a big shame. But doesn't mean that it's impossible. You need to write an essay about your text, right?

yep. She told us our thesis needs to begin with "This essay will argue that..."

Here's mine: is it shitty?

"This essay will argue that Absolutism and the power of the state in Early-Modern France under the rule of Louis XIV was created and reinforced by the customs, religion and historical symbolism of classical-era states to become an undeniable truth in the eyes of all French citizens."

"This essay will argue that..."

Do you really need the "that" here? Because it's difficult to write with this.

Well, just pick a topic that has quite a bit of argumentative issues. Also, back up every single opinion you make with fact. You WILL be called out on that if you don't.

Do you really need the "that" here? Because it's difficult to write with this.

Off the instruction page:  What is your argument? Write a clear thesis statement (1‐4 sentences): ‘This essay will

argue that …’

Off the instruction page:  What is your argument? Write a clear thesis statement (1‐4 sentences): ‘This essay will

argue that …’

It was better if you could start with "This essay will argue about..."

To help me along here, I need some tips on how to do the bibliography

NoodleBib is a great tool, I have it through my school, but there is a limited free version that lets you use MLA. Just sign up and it should work.

Link: http://www.noodletools.com/

If the free version of that isn't up to par, EasyBib works too, and It's completely free as I remember, I haven't used it since my school started using Noodlebib, but as I remember they are almost identical and both work.

Link: http://www.easybib.com/

"This essay will argue that Absolutism and the power of the state in Early-Modern France under the rule of Louis XIV was created and reinforced by the customs, religion and historical symbolism of classical-era states to become an undeniable truth in the eyes of all French citizens."

I actually think that that's pretty good, you can talk about a lot with that, I don't really remember much from that specific period because we didn't go into it in a ton of depth in my European History class sophomore year, but the french have all sorts of problems right up until 1945. So you should be able to get a ton of things in.

And remember, when it comes to history papers, make sure you know something is actually correct when you say it, it may seem obvious, but take the time to check a fact if you are unsure and you won't regret saying Louis XIV reigned for 54 years when he actually ruled for 72.

Hope this helped at least a little bit, I often end up writing major history (or any subject really) papers in the eleventh hour, so I have some practice. :P

Oh, and playing guitar is never a waste of time, even if you are facing a major paper. Personally, It helps me think. So sometimes it can even be good if I'm getting stuck on the paper, I can step away, play some guitar, and come back with a few ideas to keep moving forward.

uh... I don't think that's the proper use of the word "argue"... as a noun, it can be used that way, such as "an argument about...." but as a verb, you can only argue a noun.

As a noun, "about" can be used to describe it, but as a verb, it can only precede a noun, which in this case is "that" :/

NoodleBib is a great tool, I have it through my school, but there is a limited free version that lets you use MLA. Just sign up and it should work.

Link: http://www.noodletools.com/

If the free version of that isn't up to par, EasyBib works too, and It's completely free as I remember, I haven't used it since my school started using Noodlebib, but as I remember they are almost identical and both work.

Link: http://www.easybib.com/

I actually think that that's pretty good, you can talk about a lot with that, I don't really remember much from that specific period because we didn't go into it in a ton of depth in my European History class sophomore year, but the french have all sorts of problems right up until 1945. So you should be able to get a ton of things in.

And remember, when it comes to history papers, make sure you know something is actually correct when you say it, it may seem obvious, but take the time to check a fact if you are unsure and you won't regret saying Louis XIV reigned for 54 years when he actually ruled for 72.

Hope this helped at least a little bit, I often end up writing major history (or any subject really) papers in the eleventh hour, so I have some practice. :P

Oh, and playing guitar is never a waste of time, even if you are facing a major paper. Personally, It helps me think. So sometimes it can even be good if I'm getting stuck on the paper, I can step away, play some guitar, and come back with a few ideas to keep moving forward.

thanks :). On page three now. I know that earlier, some one said to make sure that paragraphs had one topic only. I also know that my prof said that it was good to have counter arguments to your main argument.

In one of my sources that describes an average day in Louis XIV's life, I managed to find examples that show that he commits all 7 cardinal sins in his own house (something only known to his advisers but it goes, against the image that he was ruling with the word of God) but I also use the description of Versailles to support my argument that he inspired awe in the French people. Is this bad?

uh... I don't think that's the proper use of the word "argue"... as a noun, it can be used that way, such as "an argument about...." but as a verb, you can only argue a noun.

As a noun, "about" can be used to describe it, but as a verb, it can only precede a noun, which in this case is "that" :/

You're the best english teacher that I could wish

You're the best english teacher that I could wish

then in theme of english-ing, you could say "that I could wish for" or "that I could have" but not "that I could wish"

In one of my sources that describes an average day in Louis XIV's life, I managed to find examples that show that he commits all 7 cardinal sins in his own house (something only known to his advisers but it goes, against the image that he was ruling with the word of God) but I also use the description of Versailles to support my argument that he inspired awe in the French people. Is this bad?

That sounds good! It's an interesting detail and also keeps your paper from turning into "this happened, then this, then another thing, then after that something else happened, then a war, then some kind of rebellion, now counter rebellion, a new monarchy, and yeah, that's it." which is never good.

Also, Versailles is a great thing to talk about, it can have a ton of symbolic/perceived meaning, and was certainly meant to impress, whether it be Foreign royalty or the lowly peasants working the fields who heard stories of the halls lined with mirrors and the walls coated in gold and crystal. So yeah, Versailles was more than just a place to chill for the royalty, it was the one of biggest statements of the time, basically saying "My palace is huge and made out of gold, what about yours William?". Louis XIV may have had something to compensate for, but instead of buying a big ass truck, he built a giant golden palace.

That sounds good! It's an interesting detail and also keeps your paper from turning into "this happened, then this, then another thing, then after that something else happened, then a war, then some kind of rebellion, now counter rebellion, a new monarchy, and yeah, that's it." which is never good.

Also, Versailles is a great thing to talk about, it can have a ton of symbolic/perceived meaning, and was certainly meant to impress, whether it be Foreign royalty or the lowly peasants working the fields who heard stories of the halls lined with mirrors and the walls coated in gold and crystal. So yeah, Versailles was more than just a place to chill for the royalty, it was the one of biggest statements of the time, basically saying "My palace is huge and made out of gold, what about yours William?". Louis XIV may have had something to compensate for, but instead of buying a big ass truck, he built a giant golden palace.

thank you

Did you not see my thread called "your location"? you should check it :)

thank you

Did you not see my thread called "your location"? you should check it :)

So I shouldn't be digging holes in Eternal's yard :(

But if you say so, I guess I should probably do it.

So I shouldn't be digging holes in Eternal's yard :(

But if you say so, I guess I should probably do it.

nah you can still do that, just makes sure to add your country in parentheses.

nah you can still do that, just makes sure to add your country in parentheses.

ah ok, back to digging then! :D

*nitpicks a bit, then talks about how that tiny change is having a profound social influence*

It is proper use in "...argue about..." and as a verb but it is intransitive, implying two or more clashing opinions in a state of argument (n)*. Ex. "Those two argue about the zombies in their backyard all the time." So for a paper to 'argue about' something... it would imply the paper is itself in a state of argument - which is a bit nonsensical, but also humorous to try to imagine. In academics, the intransitive use is uncommon as 'argue' itself is rarely referring to a disagreement, but to the articulation of a position.

It's an interesting example of where lay-language compacts (or decomplexifies) two distinct meanings into a single word - often rendering another word redundant (disagreement, in this case) - and creating an ambiguity which would not ordinarily exist. This decomplexification subsequently leads to structural misunderstandings of some discourse - academic discourse, in this case. That is, people outside academics or who have not experienced academia are prone to misunderstand the process of academic discussion as a disagreement of an emotional nature, rather than as a series of discussion points.

At present in english-speaking culture, this has reached the point that any articulation of an opinion is frequently perceived in the public sphere as a proposal for such an emotionally-based argument. This is having a pretty profoundly destructive effect on our capacity to listen to each other and reach objective conclusions about important matters. Witness the recent political debates in the US.

*(I noted argument because the way I use it through the rest refers more specifically to an emotional disagreement, rather than the other form - the need to do this of course highlighting the rest of the discussion.)