Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Artuga

Tree growth speed/size

80 posts in this topic

I'd say truly growing tree should be handled like fruit trees do right now with trunk going through several stages before it's reached regular wood block (if that's a thing in new system).

The trunk should also get larger , and thicker as the tree gets older.

The trunk should also get larger , and thicker as the tree gets older.

Ofcourse, but as this would lead you back to the giant trees already generated in the world it really should take a VERY long time

And why don't we have redwood? :)

Ofcourse, but as this would lead you back to the giant trees already generated in the world it really should take a VERY long time

And why don't we have redwood? :)

I am pretty sure sequoia is a type of redwood. If it isn't, it pretty much functions as one. (I mean, have you seen the size of those things?) Also, does 360 days sound like a good amount of days for the baseline/average for trees to grow?

I am pretty sure sequoia is a type of redwood. If it isn't, it pretty much functions as one. (I mean, have you seen the size of those things?) Also, does 360 days sound like a good amount of days for the baseline/average for trees to grow?

damnit, you were too fast :P made a quick search, and was on my way to edit my post xD

However, i think using shears to cut the branches would make more sense in order to manufacture new saplings.

Unless they add lower level metals as an option to make shears, this effectively means little to no control over tree growth until you have wrought iron. Some games I don't even progress past tin because smithing was not my focus, and forcing game progression in one aspect to further another would cause the game to be more linear, something I know I for one wouldn't want.

Also, does 360 days sound like a good amount of days for the baseline/average for trees to grow?

For realism yes, but it would mean I'd never settle anywhere that isn't a forest, as I rarely make it to a full year of gameplay. Would also mean I'd probably not be able to make awesome wooden structures anymore due to constraint on wood gathering. If it has to be tied to an in game amount of time though, make it a week or month for your average trees, and maybe for a jungle tree or sequoia a year would make sense. Would be nice if amount of wood dropped per tree block was increased to coincide with the increase in growth time. Waiting a week/month/year for a tree that drops four logs will mean I will have to deforest the better part of a forest every week/month/year to be viable.

Unless they add lower level metals as an option to make shears, this effectively means little to no control over tree growth until you have wrought iron. Some games I don't even progress past tin because smithing was not my focus, and forcing game progression in one aspect to further another would cause the game to be more linear, something I know I for one wouldn't want.

For realism yes, but it would mean I'd never settle anywhere that isn't a forest, as I rarely make it to a full year of gameplay. Would also mean I'd probably not be able to make awesome wooden structures anymore due to constraint on wood gathering. If it has to be tied to an in game amount of time though, make it a week or month for your average trees, and maybe for a jungle tree or sequoia a year would make sense. Would be nice if amount of wood dropped per tree block was increased to coincide with the increase in growth time. Waiting a week/month/year for a tree that drops four logs will mean I will have to deforest the better part of a forest every week/month/year to be viable.g

i wasn't talking about making shears the only way to get saplings. i was merely suggesting to keep the old mechanics punching leafblocks, but to give you a small progression when you obtain metal tools. this way you will in time be rewarded with a system that makes maintaining your treefarm saplings easier, without spending so much time nose-up under the trees, with an unnecessarily large quantity of sticks.

also, i don't think number crunching for tree growth time is something to worry too much about, as that is something the developers will tweak to where they feel it's right anyway. i just feel it should be significantly slower than it is today, giving at least some challenges to to resource management of renewable resources. i guess the initial growth stages for the trees shouldn't be so extreme. but the time it would take for a tree to grow larger than the current saplings do should be very slow.

my apologies for any typing errors here. posting on my phone and will go over the post tomorrow.

Just responding my opinion, it all goes back to the devs regardless. In any case, multistage growths would be beneficial, as it means you don't have to wait for the tree to "pop", you could cut it down at stage 2 or stage 3 growth to get a partial yield, though having it where the tree gains the most growth at later growth stages would mean the reward for waiting for a full scale growth would mean more wood, while cutting it down early would just be quick access to possibly needed resources.

Just responding my opinion, it all goes back to the devs regardless. In any case, multistage growths would be beneficial, as it means you don't have to wait for the tree to "pop", you could cut it down at stage 2 or stage 3 growth to get a partial yield, though having it where the tree gains the most growth at later growth stages would mean the reward for waiting for a full scale growth would mean more wood, while cutting it down early would just be quick access to possibly needed resources.

well, you could have the tree slow down in the height growth, while still having increased woodgain by increasing the trunk width. this way, the material gain would increase exponentially like you suggested, while still making the time required to obtain those massive seqoias from new worlds extremely high. (each growth-stage upwards would be increasingly rewarding as the thickness of the tree expands, and as branches are added)

A way to circumnavigate the placing log blocks option is to create another block which would replace dirt called "roots". The dirt block immediately below a growing tree would become a roots block, which would look like a dirt block with some roots mixed in. Roots blocks would be unaffected by gravity. As the tree grows, more surrounding dirt blocks would need to be converted to roots blocks for the tree to continue growing.

Effects: You will not be able to plant saplings on root blocks or farm them, so trees and their roots must be removed for replanting of crops or new trees. Along with some light level requirements from the canopy, saplings may not have a space to grow in a forest. Dense forests will be smaller and sparse ones might be larger.

The main point of roots is that a log block can only be considered part of a tree if it is on top of a living roots block, which dies when it's parent block is removed/dies. The primary roots block's parent is the first log in the tree, which when chopped kills the roots so that new trees can't be grown by placing logs on stumps. Any secondary roots' parent will either be the primary root or another secondary root. When the parent dies, the children die.

Log and branch blocks would also have a living/dead status, determined by the state of the primary log block attached to the primary root block.

A trees rate of growth per year is determined by a combination of the trees water requirement/log blocks divided by the rainfall of the chunk * the number of roots and by the number of leaves on the tree.

Leaf blocks would reduce the amount of light that can pass through them so that after 3 or so leaf blocks, there isn't sufficient light for more leaf blocks to grow or for saplings to mature into a small tree.

I think this adds more realism to trees.

Roots blocks can be dug very slowly with a shovel or first chopped with an axe, which converts it to a dirt block. Using just the shovel results in either a few sticks or a dirt block or both. Using an axe results in sticks and digging the dirt results in the dirt block.

Whacha think?

I would pay you to do exactly what you said, or Bioxx, whoever is in charge of that end of things, that sounds absolutely perfect.

I would pay you to do exactly what you said, or Bioxx, whoever is in charge of that end of things, that sounds absolutely perfect.

You know what you can do to pay them? go to the download page and hit the adfly button. The mod is totally worth those 5 seconds... or even a complete minute.

/hidden advertisement

I like the roots idea a lot, it makes complete sense and opens opportunities for trees that spread via roots well. I think the growth level of the tree should determine what you get by axing the roots though, a bigger tree would have roots that are easily as big as logs. A smaller tree would definitely have sticks for roots though. This would add a good deal of tedium to tree farming, but it would also solve the problem (in my opinion) that trees are magically just sitting on the dirt below it.

You know what you can do to pay them? go to the download page and hit the adfly button. The mod is totally worth those 5 seconds... or even a complete minute.

/hidden advertisement

Well it does fund Bioxx at least. I don't see a cent. Oh well. He says that the adf.ly money gets him ~one new game per month.

Well it does fund Bioxx at least. I don't see a cent. Oh well. He says that the adf.ly money gets him ~one new game per month.

You aren't payed? Oh what a bad thing...

A way to circumnavigate the placing log blocks option is to create another block which would replace dirt called "roots". The dirt block immediately below a growing tree would become a roots block, which would look like a dirt block with some roots mixed in. Roots blocks would be unaffected by gravity. As the tree grows, more surrounding dirt blocks would need to be converted to roots blocks for the tree to continue growing.

Effects: You will not be able to plant saplings on root blocks or farm them, so trees and their roots must be removed for replanting of crops or new trees. Along with some light level requirements from the canopy, saplings may not have a space to grow in a forest. Dense forests will be smaller and sparse ones might be larger.

The main point of roots is that a log block can only be considered part of a tree if it is on top of a living roots block, which dies when it's parent block is removed/dies. The primary roots block's parent is the first log in the tree, which when chopped kills the roots so that new trees can't be grown by placing logs on stumps. Any secondary roots' parent will either be the primary root or another secondary root. When the parent dies, the children die.

Log and branch blocks would also have a living/dead status, determined by the state of the primary log block attached to the primary root block.

A trees rate of growth per year is determined by a combination of the trees water requirement/log blocks divided by the rainfall of the chunk * the number of roots and by the number of leaves on the tree.

Leaf blocks would reduce the amount of light that can pass through them so that after 3 or so leaf blocks, there isn't sufficient light for more leaf blocks to grow or for saplings to mature into a small tree.

I think this adds more realism to trees.

Roots blocks can be dug very slowly with a shovel or first chopped with an axe, which converts it to a dirt block. Using just the shovel results in either a few sticks or a dirt block or both. Using an axe results in sticks and digging the dirt results in the dirt block.

Whacha think?

That sounds really cool :)

Regarding the spreading through roots as redundantusage mentioned, that typically applies mainly to trees in higher mountain areas (At least for pine, as far as i know)

This is used as an alternative method of spreading, i haven't heard of any trees that only spreads this way.

It's something that would be cool to see, but not necessarily crucial to making a system like this work.

Edit: Actually using an axe on root-infested dirt block should wear on the axe alot, not really being an efficient way to remove it.

Maybe add reduced time to dig out the root dependant on how many dirt blocks are surrounding it? this could encourage you to actually "dig out" the root before actually removing it.

Oooh, and i have to add; I LOVE the idea of living/dead trees :) this would add alot to the diversity of the game world, atleast aesthetically. Maybe also prevent trees from further growth in the winter? (would kinda already be implemented with this system considering it would snow rather than rain)

The most important thing I noticed is that TFC/MC forests are much different from real ones. In real life, you are often walking among the tree trunks over deadfall and leaf litter with the canopy high above you.

So could we get a reskined snow overlay block, nothing to drastic, just a basic scatter of leaf litter and twigs?

Having this spawn underneith leaf blocks would create a more defined boundary to a forest area, characterise it more.

It could also be tied into seasonal change, becoming thicker in autumn as leafs pile up, then being replaced by snow blocks during the winter.

If you really want to dig into it, you could have diffrent overlays dependant on tree population, like pine needles for evergreen forests.

When I think of forest floors it tends to be this sort of thing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

SNIP

I've reached max like quota so... LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

I've reached max like quota so... LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

Wait, really?! There is a max like quota?!

Wait, really?! There is a max like quota?!

About 20 a day he said.

About 20 a day he said.

that's false, I got 27 (that's an exact number, I'm not exaggerating) likes from Eternal on a single post once. So yeah, the limit, if there is one, is probably 30.

that's false, I got 27 (that's an exact number, I'm not exaggerating) likes from Eternal on a single post once. So yeah, the limit, if there is one, is probably 30.

30 isn't a bad number. 30 likes a day are 10950 a year, that are about 109500 a decade, that are about 1095000 a century.

I don't plan on playing this for a century. Hopefully by then my grandkids will be playing the video games made by Bioxx's grandkids, Dunk's grandkids too if all goes according to plan.

I don't plan on playing this for a century. Hopefully by then my grandkids will be playing the video games made by Bioxx's grandkids.

Don't forget dunk's grandkids. He is another dev after all.