Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redundantusage

Astral Movement

18 posts in this topic

Posting this for another guy since he didn't feel like it. Meat and potatoes: Create a fixed star field with distinguishable astral bodies (north stars, specific star clusters, etc), while letting the sun and moon continue to travel on their set path. Between sun and moon movement and the addition of set star fields people who play without a coordinates system and those who travel a good deal will have a better means of navigation, such as those who travel by the new gigantic oceans.

Simple, effective, brilliant!

And you can include a craftable map of the constellations.

The main thing about this is the ability to navigate through oceans without having to craft anything like maps or compasses. The devices should make it easier, not making it the only way to do this.

On the land we have natural landmarks, like rivers and mountains, on the ocean biomes we have only occasional tiny islands and very rare pieces of actual settleable land.

If this is going to be implemented, I will surely no more use the Rei's minimap.

not to kill the idea... but stars move too. Well... not the stars, the earth is rotating which makes the stars look as if they move too.

All we need now is full size controllable ships to roam the seas guided only by the stars! Just kidding, that is kind of a lot to ask...

And there are mods that already accomplish this I believe, I should see if they are compatible with TFC.

not to kill the idea... but stars move too. Well... not the stars, the earth is rotating which makes the stars look as if they move too.

On earth, I'm not sure the moon rises and sets in exact parallel to the sun. So we're already working with a system that stretches belief, having fairly stabilized star sets for the sake of navigation would seem a small thing in that light.

Let's face it, the whole idea of the moon rising and setting like the sun to represent night is silly. The moon is clearly visible during the day at times. But having the moon represent night seems to be an accepted gaming cliche, so we let it slide.

Navigating by the stars would be cool, but I personally would rather see the effort put into making the compass better. It should be easier to craft (using starter metals maybe), and it should actually point north. Then we'd also be able to use vanilla maps.

iirc, the sky box is really simplistic, the stars only exist at night and the sun and moon are locked to it.

iirc, the sky box is really simplistic, the stars only exist at night and the sun and moon are locked to it.

But can you redraw the stars? Or are they random points in the sky?

I personally would rather see the effort put into making the compass better. It should be easier to craft (using starter metals maybe), and it should actually point north. Then we'd also be able to use vanilla maps.

The whole idea was based on not needing to craft anything to navigate the world effectively. I am able to tell where north is without anything like compass just by looking at the sun. The thing is - when you traveling large distances, which I do very often, with maps you need to stop and craft a map, and hold on to quite a few of them. Or you could follow the star.

Yes, they are, although I think moon itself is a sprite pinned to the celestial sphere. What can be done is make existing sphere transparent with exception of sun and moon and add a second celestial sphere, which would be somewhat static and hold stars on itself at night. I have no idea how minecraft works with this code-wise and if there any hooks for this in forge.

EDIT:

Or just make so skybox doesn't move at all and it's the sun and moon who moves. Which could be doable as there're definitely some sort of coordinates for moon to be on and they can be changed dynamically.

The whole idea was based on not needing to craft anything to navigate the world effectively. I am able to tell where north is without anything like compass just by looking at the sun. The thing is - when you traveling large distances, which I do very often, with maps you need to stop and craft a map, and hold on to quite a few of them. Or you could follow the star.

I'm not against this idea, I think it would be cool to have fixed stars. However, I'm honestly trying to figure out how using the stars would make traveling long distances over the ocean easier as opposed to the way it is now, without the use of maps. I figure it's still going to be the same thing of "point yourself in the correct direction and go straight until you reach the next piece of land (large or small)". Whether you use the stars or the sun / moon to actually point yourself shouldn't matter. Except it'd be easier to orient yourself with the stars, which would be nice I guess.

I figure it's still going to be the same thing of "point yourself in the correct direction and go straight until you reach the next piece of land (large or small)". Whether you use the stars or the sun / moon to actually point yourself shouldn't matter. Except it'd be easier to orient yourself with the stars, which would be nice I guess.

Yes, it will. The main difference being that as of now there are only four lines along which you can travel safely - strait north straight west, etc. With the addition of stars you could be heading towards one star or another or between two stars.

Alright, so this is a pretty old topic, but I think I have something to add:

What if we tilted the sky's rotational axis by, say, about 25 or 30 degrees? This would not only make the sun more realistic (if you're not in the tropics), but also give us a point about which the nighttime stars revolve, a North Star. Furthermore, if the sky was angled, in flat areas and on the sea you could see this clearly without trees blocking it. If we added real life constellations, too, (I know you can change the star patterns because I've seen it in resource packs) we could use stars we already know. (And probably teach some people potentially life saving information) We don't need many, just maybe the Big & Little dippers, Orion, Leo, Polaris, etc.

I think this would be a great idea personaly. For determining lattitude, how high the north star is in the sky is determined by how far north you are, and their should be some equivilant star/constelation/something for the southern hemisphere, as the north star should not be visible south of the equator. For longitude, the same for some constelations or stars, how high they are is determined by how far east/west you are. To be very fancy, it would also be related to the time of night and season, so they would be at different hights at midnight or 3am, and different in june than in december. This would be awesome, but I'd think a more simplefied version would probably be better than including time and season.

In a resource pack you could add in constellations, but as far as I know the sky has to look the same no matter where you are. This is a limitation of MC engine.

I think this would be a great idea personaly. For determining lattitude, how high the north star is in the sky is determined by how far north you are, and their should be some equivilant star/constelation/something for the southern hemisphere, as the north star should not be visible south of the equator. For longitude, the same for some constelations or stars, how high they are is determined by how far east/west you are. To be very fancy, it would also be related to the time of night and season, so they would be at different hights at midnight or 3am, and different in june than in december. This would be awesome, but I'd think a more simplefied version would probably be better than including time and season.

While I see what you mean, and I totally agree with it, I also know what Bunsan is saying too. As far as I can tell, this would probably require a complete code rewrite (not that that can't be done, but would be very hard) and I don't think Bioxx or Dunk will really want to spend all that time for such a minor feature, so they would probably just let it be used as a worldwide natural compass, though this does seem like the kind of real-life detail they love.EDIT: I'm going to make a poll to see what people think of this idea.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0