Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kimbblesrath

Lighting System Revamp

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should this be implemented?

• EFF YEAH!!
    • Yeah!
    • I think so.
    • Meh.
    • No.
    • NO!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 posts in this topic

Ok so I was thinking, what if TFC had a lighting revamp? It would allow for different types of lighting, and it would just look better overall.

What I mean is, the sun would emit a strong, white or slightly yellowish light. Forges and campfires would emit brighter, stronger light as the temp got hotter. At first, dark red light, orange, yellow, then white. Same with campfires. Torches could emit soft(get more into this later) yellow light. Lava orangish light, etc, etc.

Light could now have different values or properties instead of the one we have now.

Brightness would obviously be how strong the light is. There would have to be weak light for things like dying campfires or forges, and the strongest light for the sun.

Color would be the color of the light. There could be the typical 16 minecraft light colors. but leather armour can now be dyed in vanilla up to like 14 million colors, so I don't know how that would work. This would also allow for some really cool stained glass things, and some very medieval looking creations.Alos, colored light would mix so... yeah.

Hardness is how fast the light dissipates. A very hard light would be very bright in the center, and quickly dissipate into very weak light. It would have a small AOE, but within that AOE, the light would be quite strong. A soft light would be just the opposite. It would be bright in the center, but it would dissipate slowly, and have a large AOE, but within the AOE, the average light level would be the same as hard light, but distributed over a larger area, therefore making it look less bright, and softer.

So, what do you guys think? I will add ideas you guys have to the OP and let me know what you guys think?

This would be a lovely idea, however it would require a COMPLETE tear out of the current lighting code as far as I'm to understand it.

One of the Mojang guys was working on "fixing" the engine for the new update and gave up in the process because of how broken it is currently. This is also the same code that is preventing stained glass/colored lights/etc.

If someone has the knowledge and gusto to go in and rework the shoddy code from the ground up, I heartily approve, and would LOVE to see it. However, I've sadly given up hope on that for quite some time now.

This would be a lovely idea, however it would require a COMPLETE tear out of the current lighting code as far as I'm to understand it.

One of the Mojang guys was working on "fixing" the engine for the new update and gave up in the process because of how broken it is currently. This is also the same code that is preventing stained glass/colored lights/etc.

If someone has the knowledge and gusto to go in and rework the shoddy code from the ground up, I heartily approve, and would LOVE to see it. However, I've sadly given up hope on that for quite some time now.

I see. I was guessing that this would be a "built from the ground up" kind of thing like my cubic chunks idea, but then again, TFC itself is a "built from the ground up" sort of thing. Also Eloraam, the creator of Redpower2 had apparently tried this and failed, but I am just saying, this would bring a lot to TFC.

What you want is not minecraft anymore! With CC and this, well... just throw minecraft out! There will be not a single base file unchanged.

What you want is not minecraft anymore! With CC and this, well... just throw minecraft out! There will be not a single base file unchanged.

achartran is not leaving a single thread on-topic, and I am leave no base file un edited! LOL Let us not get this into a derail though...

achartran is not leaving a single thread on-topic, and I am leave no base file un edited! LOL Let us not get this into a derail though...

But there won't be any compatibility and a lot of "place on .jar" in the end. The community will complain.

But there won't be any compatibility and a lot of "place on .jar" in the end. The community will complain.

Like I said in the CC thread, what is there to complain about, TFC used to be a .jar mod, and it was running fine. Does it really need to stay a mods folder mod?

Here:

To back up my reasoning on "Does compatibility really matter?", here is Azdoine in the "Thirst!" thread:

But why in fuck do you need to mod your mod? Both BTW and TFC have more content and playability than almost all other mods out there, and are designed to be played alone. Pretty much anything you can add will probably have a shitload of overlapping functionality, and probably be game breaking.

Here:

psst, psst... *low voice* you are supposed to give him something when you say "here:"...

psst, psst... *low voice* you are supposed to give him something when you say "here:"...

Whoops I meant to go fetch a quote, and edit the post but I forgot, and double posted. Time to do some editing magic.

Like I said in the CC thread, what is there to complain about, TFC used to be a .jar mod, and it was running fine. Does it really need to stay a mods folder mod?

Here:

I've responded to that. Well, anyway, this is off of my league, I don't know how to color the lighting in Minecraft, I support who ever likes to try this.

I've responded to that. Well, anyway, this is off of my league, I don't know how to color the lighting in Minecraft, I support who ever likes to try this.

I know that. I was posting to remind you of it. And Dunk I hope you see this thread.

Eerm...This would be VERY indepth programming..I think this would be way too much for the mod to handle

And I don't really think that is something that has a place in TFC..for me it's just aestethic changes that are very low priority but REALLY hard to code..

The Cubic chunks thing is more interesting IMO but probably also too much for this "small" mod and the team..

Also i Love how TFC is not editing base classes and is compatible with other mods because sometimes you just want to combine things!!

ALSO: Mojang is working on a new lighting system..maybe it fulfills parts of your wishes..?

Eerm...This would be VERY indepth programming..I think this would be way too much for the mod to handle

And I don't really think that is something that has a place in TFC..for me it's just aestethic changes that are very low priority but REALLY hard to code..

The Cubic chunks thing is more interesting IMO but probably also too much for this "small" mod and the team..

Also i Love how TFC is not editing base classes and is compatible with other mods because sometimes you just want to combine things!!

ALSO: Mojang is working on a new lighting system..maybe it fulfills parts of your wishes..?

Cubic chunks without editing base classes?

Meh, its just a suggestion.

well eloraam didnt fail...she didnt try it. This is her answer to the question if she can add colored lights actually produce the colored light:

I wanted to, and when I saw 1.8 the first time, I thought that Notch had actually added colored light. Instead, he moved to a new system of multitexturing for light level code (basically using a second texture where the coordinates are torchlight and sunlight levels), which actually makes it much, much more difficult to ever make this happen. It would now take not just a complete rewrite, but also a redesign, of the lighting code.

well eloraam didnt fail...she didnt try it. This is her answer to the question if she can add colored lights actually produce the colored light:

Oh ok...

You ask for too much! If TFC got the cubic chunks, the following terrain re-write, and big/slow trees, can you IMAGINE how awesome that would be? It wouldn't even be minecraft anymore. Lighting? Pfft, lighting pales in comparison to the epic this would create. I for one, wouldn't give a shit if it destroyed mod compatibility. Even *gulp* my precious optifine :(.

Honestly, guys... with suggestions like this going on here, i really need to get a gaming computer, not this crap my grandpa used in 1998 and can't run VANILLA MC with no lag spikes unless Optifine is installed... :

Well, hopefully mojang will get their heads out of their asses and start adding important features... like a lighting overhaul, which would ACTUALLY ALLOW modders to make color light and all this cool jazz.

Honestly, guys... with suggestions like this going on here, i really need to get a gaming computer, not this crap my grandpa used in 1998 and can't run VANILLA MC with no lag spikes unless Optifine is installed... :

Yeh, my crappy comp simply broke. So now I have too save up the money to get one that can actually play games. 300$ down, 330$ to go :/. I had 450 then I broke something important an had to replace it. FMCSITM.

oh btw... a screen i found from eloraam... fits in here i think.

But i dont know if it's actually minecraft or the other thing she is playing around with. She also said something about "coded a new engine" and stuff.... just btw.

http://www.minecraft...0#entry16942943

o_O Speechless. I WANT MOAR DEETS!

Maybe it was that I looked at those pics on my phone, but honestly they don't really look that spectacular.

Also, Bioxx spending the next year of his life writing a lighting engine from scratch instead of working on tfc or his other projects would be pointless. Since lighting is being rewritten by mojang anyhow.

Maybe it was that I looked at those pics on my phone, but honestly they don't really look that spectacular.

Also, Bioxx spending the next year of his life writing a lighting engine from scratch instead of working on tfc or his other projects would be pointless. Since lighting is being rewritten by mojang anyhow.

It's not stunning in and of it's own, but it is something that hasn't been done in Minecraft before to my knowledge.

But, yeah, I'm not sure, something like this is probably better left for vanilla, avoids weird incompatibilities.