Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
puxapuak

1.4.2... thoughts?

17 posts in this topic

Has anyone swapped over to 1.4.2 just to see what's in the changes? I did this yesterday (not entirely voluntarily... I kinda sorta blew up my computer Wednesday night and lost everything. No, that's not entirely true... Ubuntu blew it up. I was just an unwilling participant) and was... really unimpressed.

I get it... Minecraft, is their game and they can do what they want with it, but that doesn't need to stop us from considering logical strategy. Given the overall direction the community took with the game (does anyone play just vanilla out there?) I kind of feel like adding random bits and pieces that other mods have already done into core is not a very good strategy at all at this point - especially if they're thinking about moving on to other projects anyway. If they want to ensure the continued long life of their product, I think a better strategy would be to stop adding stuff that ultimately competes with existing mods and focus on building a flexible, functional API system for mod developers, and making the core itself work better.

Things like OptiFine... this is stuff that they should have started with. They're busy adding content that nobody is asking for when they don't even have a properly functioning OpenGL implementation. The tick system needs a complete overhaul (particularly for servers) and there's lots of other little things they could do to vastly improve the basic mechanics of the world. We were discussing new height limits like 8192 instead of 256... these should already be solved and already be implemented - by core. Similarly, the launcher could incorporate something like MultiMC, which is just about as simple an addition to make to core as one can imagine.

Instead of making a weird little game with a meandering focus that still has some really elementary inconsistencies, bugs, and missing functionality that ultimately keeps fighting against the will of its most hardcore fans (the mod devs), I think they should make a helluva good sandbox world system and just let the community loose on it. Otherwise someone else is going to come along and do just that, completely embracing the modder community, and Minecraft will fade out of existence rapidly.

Glitchy witches that can't get back into their homes does not make me want to play a game. Solidly written code that lets modders do amazing things does.

I realise it's all a bit academic. I don't think anyone at Mojang is really that into the community itself anymore... they don't seem to be anyway. And it's all been said before too. But still. Had to rant.

Well said. I can't quite understand where things are going after 1.0.0. I mean endermen are nice, they kept me scared of them for some time before I got used to them, but other stuff seems like separate bits from here and there rather than steps in some sort of plan.

well vanilla feels now like a mod not like vanilla anymore.... and it's a mod i don't want to play. Gimme back my old vanilla MC without stupid random villages, witches, cheater-pyramids, funny potions and stuff... if i want stuff like that ill add a mod for it. I like vanilla as it was before, simple and a good base to build awesome mods upon it. Right now if you wanna make a good mod you first have to remove all that stuff before being able to make it good again. And i support every point you are making about improving the game not just adding random features, it really feels like a noob mod writer that just throws stuff randomly in.... i don't like it. But i think a lot of those problems are coming from the release of the Xbox and mobile versions, where you can't mod the game so easly. So they thought they just throw random stuff in to make those happy that can't play it with good mods, while fucking it up for us..... DAMN this doesent really make sense but it's pissing me off what they are doing with MC.

Oh 1 point that i think makes sense was to make all mc multiplayer, which kills the need to develop two versions of a mod. But well....thats one good thing in a lot of stupid things.

/rant

Oh 1 point that i think makes sense was to make all mc multiplayer, which kills the need to develop two versions of a mod. But well....thats one good thing in a lot of stupid things.

Oh, yes that's a good point. I would agree on that. It's hard to actually give them kudos for it too though because again... should've happened ages ago.

I think you're right on the XBox/mobile stuff too. It's a crappy excuse for them though. If this is the situation, then they should have two separate development streams. It's not like they don't have the resources to make that happen.

Has anyone swapped over to 1.4.2 just to see what's in the changes? I did this yesterday (not entirely voluntarily... I kinda sorta blew up my computer Wednesday night and lost everything. No, that's not entirely true... Ubuntu blew it up. I was just an unwilling participant) and was... really unimpressed.

I get it... Minecraft, is their game and they can do what they want with it, but that doesn't need to stop us from considering logical strategy. Given the overall direction the community took with the game (does anyone play just vanilla out there?) I kind of feel like adding random bits and pieces that other mods have already done into core is not a very good strategy at all at this point - especially if they're thinking about moving on to other projects anyway. If they want to ensure the continued long life of their product, I think a better strategy would be to stop adding stuff that ultimately competes with existing mods and focus on building a flexible, functional API system for mod developers, and making the core itself work better.

Things like OptiFine... this is stuff that they should have started with. They're busy adding content that nobody is asking for when they don't even have a properly functioning OpenGL implementation. The tick system needs a complete overhaul (particularly for servers) and there's lots of other little things they could do to vastly improve the basic mechanics of the world. We were discussing new height limits like 8192 instead of 256... these should already be solved and already be implemented - by core. Similarly, the launcher could incorporate something like MultiMC, which is just about as simple an addition to make to core as one can imagine.

Instead of making a weird little game with a meandering focus that still has some really elementary inconsistencies, bugs, and missing functionality that ultimately keeps fighting against the will of its most hardcore fans (the mod devs), I think they should make a helluva good sandbox world system and just let the community loose on it. Otherwise someone else is going to come along and do just that, completely embracing the modder community, and Minecraft will fade out of existence rapidly.

Glitchy witches that can't get back into their homes does not make me want to play a game. Solidly written code that lets modders do amazing things does.

I realise it's all a bit academic. I don't think anyone at Mojang is really that into the community itself anymore... they don't seem to be anyway. And it's all been said before too. But still. Had to rant.

Look at it this way: there are more hooks for modders........... just a couple of crumbs... but there are! (I think forge releases more hooks on each update...)

Very well put, puxa, I totally agree. They need to stop adding random little content that gets boring after a couple days and start reinforcing the game to be more moddable. (Less glitchy MP, fps boost, easy-to-download mods.) To put this in an analogy, it is very hard to add more floors to a rickety building with little foundation.

well vanilla feels now like a mod not like vanilla anymore.... and it's a mod i don't want to play. Gimme back my old vanilla MC without stupid random villages, witches, cheater-pyramids, funny potions and stuff... if i want stuff like that ill add a mod for it. I like vanilla as it was before, simple and a good base to build awesome mods upon it. Right now if you wanna make a good mod you first have to remove all that stuff before being able to make it good again. And i support every point you are making about improving the game not just adding random features, it really feels like a noob mod writer that just throws stuff randomly in.... i don't like it. But i think a lot of those problems are coming from the release of the Xbox and mobile versions, where you can't mod the game so easly. So they thought they just throw random stuff in to make those happy that can't play it with good mods, while fucking it up for us..... DAMN this doesent really make sense but it's pissing me off what they are doing with MC.

/rant

True that

We need a vanilla mod!

We need a vanilla mod!

What is vanilla? Is that a really badly made addon for TFC?LOL

But in all seriousness, screw vanilla, we have TFC!

And PLEASE don't double post. Eternal&achartran........

And PLEASE don't double post. Eternal&achartran........

They will eat any double poster alive... Achartran doesn't really bites that hard, but Eternal? you will wish you never posted in this forums...

They implement useless things why?

Because they aren't enough good at programming. They say:

"Let's implement something that we can program"

"The wither?"

"Good, let's take a villager's code, change something, give him some powers, retexture, done"

"And a place where it can live!"

"Make his house generate the same way as villages"

That's Mojang today.

They implement useless things why?

Because they aren't enough good at programming. They say:

"Let's implement something that we can program"

"The wither?"

"Good, let's take a villager's code, change something, give him some powers, retexture, done"

"And a place where it can live!"

"Make his house generate the same way as villages"

That's Mojang today.

Don't say that, that is not so true...

Don't say that, that is not so true...

Of course it's not true. I'm kidding to give you an idea.

It's the engine we have to work with, at least there's people like Bioxx and Dunk out there to put together a reasonable fix to the minecraft direction.

They should just open source their project then. Declare it such so the real developers can make the games they want to make and teams like Forge don't have to hold back to avoid possible future difficulties due to no one having a damn clue what weird and useless adjustment will find its way into the next version.

You look at a complex package like linux or drupal... huge software packages entirely built through contributions. (Okay, some caveats on linux, but you get the point.)