Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Linker190

Better Pets

Better Pets?   17 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think it Should be Added?

• HELL YEAH!!!
    • YES!!
    • Yes
    • Mabye
    • No
    • NO!!
    • WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!!!!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 posts in this topic

Lets face it Pets SUCK all they do is lay around and kill your livestock. I think that you should be able to train pets to hunt, guard, etc.

There should also be pet genetics like breeding dogs to hunt better or breeding cats to not annoy you to death.Oh and there API should be upgraded so they don't eat your livestock. What do you think?

Don't know if RaustBlackDragon is still around, but he had the Doggy Talents mod. It is very close to what you are describing.

Lets face it Pets SUCK all they do is lay around and kill your livestock. I think that you should be able to train pets to hunt, guard, etc.

There should also be pet genetics like breeding dogs to hunt better or breeding cats to not annoy you to death.Oh and there API should be upgraded so they don't eat your livestock. What do you think?

Meh, while I'm not against it I think that pets aren't integral to gameplay and as such shouldn't be a high priority. I'd much rather have all the new animal mechanics Dunk has been talking about than an update to dogs. Also, instead of just saying that something should happen, care to elaborate on HOW it should happen?

Details damnit.

How can I vote on game mechanics you haven't provided

This thread isn't a suggestion, it's just bitching

ok first off, better interaction between you and your pets is needed dogs and cats are by far the mozt annoying thing in minecraft besides ghast cries, the top three things that make this the case is

A. movement ai, they runn around, go into fire, fall into lava and push you off cliffs

B. little variety of interaction, you can tell them to sit, follow, and heal them with food, oh and kill them when they have pushed your last button.

C. and the fact that you have to go around and tell every single dog to sit, they can't eat perfectly good food of the ground and are basicaly a pain to do anything with.

so for part A, we need a simple ai replacment, dogs need to stay 3 or 4 blocks away from the player at all times, avoiding hazards, if it comes to a hazard it can not cross but the player can, it will wait patiently until the player is safe and tp to them if there is a valid tp location 3 to 4 blocks distance from the player. will break this proximity only to attack mobs and will go back to this distance when it is safe. hazards to avoid are drops greater then 3, lava, will track any fall and if their is a hazard where it will land it will go around rather then down. say there is a bit with a 1 block drop, to grass or stone, the dog can go in, but say the floor is 1 deep lava, with the current ai they would register that as safe and jump in, but the new ai would need to register this as dangerous and go around. pits with no way out, is another hazard to avoid, fire is another, and pressure plates is another. ( pressure plates is realy a matter of opinion so feel free to disagree. maybe if they add training then you can add an avoid traps perk or something.) have any other ideas feel free to add them

for part b, a training system of some sort, growth and breeds would be welcome additions. with the introduction of amagic theme maybe you can inhance your dogs with slightly magical abilities, like fire resist. dogs are near immune to fire, still burns in lava. can jump higher so they can get out of pits easier if they fall in. so on so forth. again feel free to expand on these ideas, i am extremely tired right now and realize i am missing things.

and finaly part c, first off, make it so dogs can eat food off the ground. second make it so shift clicking on a dog sets it and all dogs near it, say up to 10 or 16 blocks away, to either stand up or sit down. clicking on dogs without crouching works normaly. also the the addition of toys that you craft that help you train and controll dogs would be a great addition. maybe make a bone toy that can be thrown and acts like an arrow, all dogs chace after it, and if it hits a mob all dogs nearby attack it. the toy should get stuck in them and when they die it drops, has a chance to break. things like this would not only make dogs much more enjoyable and easy to work with, it would lay the foundation for future pets added and allow for alot of creative exparimentation.

if you have any other ideas for any of these please list them. i am very tired and know i missed alot, and probably slaughteredmy gramar. so please, feel free to look over my ideas and post some edits and additions of your own.

Maybe a mechanic of tough love / TLC?

For instance your dog can decide not to do as he is told (to sit, guard et cetera). You could either feed him some meat or bones so he'll do it, or smack him with a bone til he decides to get on with it.

Pets health should also be upped also, otherwise they feel a waste of time and you don't get attached to them.

Perhaps some new items? A training stick or doggie treats or something of the sort.

New breeds of wolf. They would act the same, just re-textures to add variety. Breeding two domesticated wolves would give a domesticated puppy, whilst breeding two wild wolves would give a wild pup.

I agree. Pets should not and are not high priority. Right now(short term), there are tons of things to work on, namely ironing out the bugs with build 54 and 1.4.2. Even in longer terms, there are more exciting gameplay elements, such as the new health, hunger and thirst system. (IT WILL BE SO BOSS!!) Also, there is the new combat and defence system, animals, etc., etc. I could go on and on, but you get the point. Pets aren't that big of a thing. But for the idea, Devlin and Beluga made some good posts.

Shouldn't this be on Animals(official thread)?

Shouldn't this be on Animals(official thread)?

It would most probably make it even more disorganized, as there is stuff about animals' behaviour, their aesthetics, functions,pet uses, everything. But I suppose there is some meaning to what you said...

Boy, people sure like just making random polls on crap lately don't they.

I think that the way pets are interacted with will be addressed later when more actual animals which could potentially be tame-able are added, right now there are just wolves.

Honestly though most pets aren't really command-able, with the exception of dogs. A cat for instance will look at you like "you must be stupid expecting me to do anything you say." I guess you could make bears able to be pets, but they would likely eat you rather than follow you around and do anything. Same with most large predatory animals, though maybe a realism/belevability aspect can take a side seat here cause it would be pretty cool to have a bear or lion pet... :P

I think that the way pets are interacted with will be addressed later when more actual animals which could potentially be tame-able are added, right now there are just wolves.

Honestly though most pets aren't really command-able, with the exception of dogs. A cat for instance will look at you like "you must be stupid expecting me to do anything you say." I guess you could make bears able to be pets, but they would likely eat you rather than follow you around and do anything. Same with most large predatory animals, though maybe a realism/belevability aspect can take a side seat here cause it would be pretty cool to have a bear or lion pet... :P

Such as? There are only 3 polls that have been made recently. This one, Lighting System Revamp, and Cubic Chunks in TFC. The latter two, I made. Now tell me, exactly how are these topics "crap"? This one might have something to be desired, but the other ones? You cannot deny that Cubic Chunks would be an amazing addition to TFC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Your argument is challenged

Posted Image

Posted Image

waaat...............o_O

Posted Image

Posted Image

what in god's name did i just walk into....

-backs away slowly-

Oh and there API should be upgraded so they don't eat your livestock. What do you think?

I think you mean AI?

every animal can be trained, we don't have lions for pets because we're afraid of them, and should be so since its easier for them to eat us if we try to simply scold them. Surely it is dangerous but it doesn't mean its unachievable. The hyena for example seems to be a great pet............

Posted Image

Only in Canada...

No offense Dunk :)

Only in Canada...

No offense Dunk :)

This is not an offense, this shows the abilities of the canadians.

This is not an offense, this shows the abilities of the canadians.

CANADA FTW!!!

CANADA FTW!!!

And now? What does FTW mean?

FTW Face the World

FTW Families Than Work

FTW Feel The Wind

FTW Fight to Win

FTW Florida Tax Watch

FTW Flying Training Wing

FTW For the Weak

FTW For the World

FTW For Those Wondering

FTW Forever Two Wheels

FTW Forget The World (polite form)

FTW Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien (Vienna, Austria)

FTW Fort Wainwright, Alaska

FTW Fort Worth Meacham Field (Airport Code)

FTW Forward Towards Wing (Hattrick, online game)

FTW Frank the Welder (mountain bikes)

FTW Free the Weed

FTW Free the Whales

FTW Free The Wookies (humor)

FTW Free Trade Wharf

FTW Future Technology Workshop

And now? What does FTW mean?

FTW Face the World

FTW Families Than Work

FTW Feel The Wind

FTW Fight to Win

FTW Florida Tax Watch

FTW Flying Training Wing

FTW For the Weak

FTW For the World

FTW For Those Wondering

FTW Forever Two Wheels

FTW Forget The World (polite form)

FTW Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien (Vienna, Austria)

FTW Fort Wainwright, Alaska

FTW Fort Worth Meacham Field (Airport Code)

FTW Forward Towards Wing (Hattrick, online game)

FTW Frank the Welder (mountain bikes)

FTW Free the Weed

FTW Free the Whales

FTW Free The Wookies (humor)

FTW Free Trade Wharf

FTW Future Technology Workshop

Gdmit Multiple meanings!

I meant for the win. And dont forget F++k the world. Sorry suicidal teenagers.

every animal can be trained, we don't have lions for pets because we're afraid of them, and should be so since its easier for them to eat us if we try to simply scold them. Surely it is dangerous but it doesn't mean its unachievable. The hyena for example seems to be a great pet............

i agree with this for the most part, and would like to correct one thing you said, we in fact do have lions and such for pets. my grandma on my fathers side once owned a monkey as a pet, damn things are extremely possesive, he would freak out if any one tried to get close to my grandma without his say so. they trained him tobe nicer but had to give him away be cause he got sick and they could not afford the medicine, so they gave him to some one who could.

second, my father actualy owned a lion cub as a boy. hasa lot of stories about that guy and a few pictures. apparently lions would make exelent pets, my dad loved that lion and he would treat it pretty much like a dog. take it for walks, feed it, play with it, although they could not play to rough as lions still have powerful instincts that have yet to be breed out. but for the most part lions are like dogs. you can walk them on leashes, they love to play fetch and be pet and scratched. oh and if you are getting bullied by a bunch of tough guys at the park basketball court, go home, get your lion and take it for a walk by the court see if they still want to hog the court and ppush you around. (that was one of his stories) again they had to give him away, this time it was a court order because the neighbors were complaining.

(yes i know this sounds like a childish douche lying to show off and i do not care if you believe me, i am just trying to get the point across that most animals can be tamed if you get them young enough/ earn their trust, and spend enough time building a relationship and taking care of them.)

also the more exotic and inbreed the species, the more suseptible they are to disease so you have to make sure you keep your animals clean.

i agree with this for the most part, and would like to correct one thing you said, we in fact do have lions and such for pets. my grandma on my fathers side once owned a monkey as a pet, damn things are extremely possesive, he would freak out if any one tried to get close to my grandma without his say so. they trained him tobe nicer but had to give him away be cause he got sick and they could not afford the medicine, so they gave him to some one who could.

second, my father actualy owned a lion cub as a boy. hasa lot of stories about that guy and a few pictures. apparently lions would make exelent pets, my dad loved that lion and he would treat it pretty much like a dog. take it for walks, feed it, play with it, although they could not play to rough as lions still have powerful instincts that have yet to be breed out. but for the most part lions are like dogs. you can walk them on leashes, they love to play fetch and be pet and scratched. oh and if you are getting bullied by a bunch of tough guys at the park basketball court, go home, get your lion and take it for a walk by the court see if they still want to hog the court and ppush you around. (that was one of his stories) again they had to give him away, this time it was a court order because the neighbors were complaining.

(yes i know this sounds like a childish douche lying to show off and i do not care if you believe me, i am just trying to get the point across that most animals can be tamed if you get them young enough/ earn their trust, and spend enough time building a relationship and taking care of them.)

also the more exotic and inbreed the species, the more suseptible they are to disease so you have to make sure you keep your animals clean.

ok, let me rephrase, we didn't domesticated lions for them to be house pets like we did with other animals. Surely as I've said you can train them but it is a complete different statement when someone consider the whole species being tamed as a domesticated animal.