Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
varradami

StarForge - Stress points when building

37 posts in this topic

There's a game called StarForge which is currently being crowdfunded. It allows construction cube-by-cube in a Minecraft-like fashion.

I bring this up because they have an "Engineering Mode" where you can see the stress points on your building. It is shown briefly in the video (start at 3:05). They show a building collapsing because it's not properly supported.

I don't know how feasible this would be in Minecraft, which has much simpler physics, but something of this nature would be very appropriate for TFC IMO. Such a system might even be merged with the cave-in system.

What a cool game!! Really.

However the stress points are a good idea, but for now you cann apply them only in the support beams.

Sadness.. I'm unable to complete the transaction because PayPal is having errors.

I think this game brings up another good point besides wanting us to recreate physicscraft which is seeming more and more necessary, this games gun mechanic is despite being absolutely ridiculous could also be very useful for our tools. Rather than things only working for certain types of tools we could run quick calculations to determine what something might be good at. Something with a small blade would be a great quick slasher whereas a long blade would carry more leverage. An ax with a pick on the back would be possible, hatchets would be possible and so on. The only thing is that handles would need more control so we can determine how it swung/held. That way we aren't getting scythes and saws mixed up.

However the stress points are a good idea, but for now you cann apply them only in the support beams.

What I want is for such a system to be generalized to all blocks. There should be one unified mechanism, where support beams would work just like any other block (keeping in mind that different blocks provide different amounts of support).

This would have some interesting consequences for construction, not only in needing to properly support your constructs, but even in things like limits to how tall buildings can be made because the material can only support so much weight.

This would have some interesting consequences for construction, not only in needing to properly support your constructs, but even in things like limits to how tall buildings can be made because the material can only support so much weight.

Too many limitations make a sandbox not playable, hence the limited height in a game like minecraft isn't a feature that everyone likes.

It has nothing to do with not wanting limitations its the fact that it isn't possible without physicscraft. It just isn't, same with felling trees. The game would be greater with these limitations then we would simply remove them in creative mode. Now we have solved all problems. It doesn't need to be anything complicated it just needs to be compression, shear and tension. But once more we would need these blocks to become entities when they fell therefore requiring physicscraft.

Of course these limitations are not a problem for me, but they limitate the creativity of some people. And imagine the massive lag if a giant build becomes a swarm of entities. Entities everywhere that move when they find a block below them.

Physicscraft takes care of this I have said that multiple times go look at their page. If need be we could make things realign to the world grid after a couple minutes but I don't think its necessary.

Physicscraft takes care of this

Ok, but now we are talking of TFC. Can TFC take care of this?

Not even going to refute that, I'm sorry but go read past posts in this thread I have said it twice already.

Too many limitations make a sandbox not playable, hence the limited height in a game like minecraft isn't a feature that everyone likes.

TFC places the emphasis on survival and believability, rather than creativity. We already have cave-ins, trees collapsing, and dirt sliding down. It doesn't seem much of a stretch to say that if you want to build a skyscraper, you need to use suitable materials and provide sufficient support.

It would add challenge to construction beyond the simple (and often tedious) acquisition of resources.

EDIT:

Please note that I am not suggesting anything so extreme as Physicscraft. I'm not sure what license it is being offered under - it's probably not possible for Bioxx to use it, and implementing such a system from scratch is a lot of work and probably out of scope for TFC.

What I am suggesting is something more along the lines of calculating the stress on any given block. Each type of block has a limit to the amount of stress it can take - for example, wood's maximum stress would be less than stone bricks. If a block's maximum stress is exceeded, it breaks. Then there can be some computation to see if the blocks it was supporting collapse - this is similar to cave-ins.

Probably it is much more complicated to implement than I am making it sound. There's also the question of performance. However, I think that would fit quite nicely into what TFC already does.

TFC places the emphasis on survival and believability, rather than creativity. We already have cave-ins, trees collapsing, and dirt sliding down. It doesn't seem much of a stretch to say that if you want to build a skyscraper, you need to use suitable materials and provide sufficient support.

It would add challenge to construction beyond the simple (and often tedious) acquisition of resources.

Oh, yes I forgot of cave-ins while posting. Yes, then it's a great idea. I personally like this idea, because it's good, we need something like this, but not in the dirt or sand. On rocks, bricks etc it would be fine. Especially support beams.

I think starforge is a great idea, looks awesome and all BUT there is a big problem here, Minecraft has a simple enough code, it is rather easy to change and add things to it. The more complex you make it the less the community has to offer and contribute.

Well, other then the archways with cobble, we basically already have this stuff in tfc, not sure bout farmland falling though.

This also isn't really what being talked about in this thread, which is that different blocks would have a different stregnth to support other blocks weight on top of their own weight.

Stuff which I'm sure Bioxx is considering as hinted by the several possabilities listed in his state of the mod a few months ago mentioning the construction update.

Oh, also, it depends on how in depth you want physics to be, the more detailed the more update polling and tick based checking for updates that need to happen.

Creative mode disabling physics is also a bad idea especially on smp, servers don't care who is in smp or not for block placement. Honestly with the ammount of code this would require I think its either its the mod, or its not the mod.

It would be neat, but it also proposes its own challenges and downsides.

This guy got it pretty close:

http://www.minecraft...ockphysics-mod/

Incorrect, nice guess though, but that dued is no closer than Coro's weather mods (look them up they are amazing)

This guy is close...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=i94RccsNeEY

Seriously I have said this like four times now, I'm actually posting right? Someone please say yes.

Edit: Realized work had been stopped on this mod and developers were considering releasing the code to the public. :o If this actually happened, I probably would explode from over-dose on pure excitement seriously do you now how many problems their code fixes?

Just watched the Starforge video, quite possibly one of the most badass things I've seen in a while.

Just watched the Starforge video, quite possibly one of the most badass things I've seen in a while.

Why? Something wrong with the game?

"Badass" means awesome, Wolf.

Anyway, it looks kinda neat, I guess. The movement animations are atrocious, though. I guess they're not very far into development, though, so it's excusable. Not entirely sure why they made all the aliens look like hydralisks, though.

I've downloaded it and it really is a badass game.

I'll agree, the character movement does look really awful, but the truth is, all the enemies look like hydralisks because hydralisks are both cool and imposing in appearance. In the video I saw of the guy defending his trench with a machine gun while search lights illuminated portions of his forward terrain and hydralisks were bounding forward in swarms, I felt like the game was channeling the cutscene from the original Starcraft.

I tried the demo version and for now it's not what I thought it was.

Incorrect, nice guess though, but that dued is no closer than Coro's weather mods (look them up they are amazing)

This guy is close...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=i94RccsNeEY

Seriously I have said this like four times now, I'm actually posting right? Someone please say yes.

Edit: Realized work had been stopped on this mod and developers were considering releasing the code to the public. :o If this actually happened, I probably would explode from over-dose on pure excitement seriously do you now how many problems their code fixes?

Yes, I've wanted something like this for a while, mainly for the naval ship building element.