Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ratch

Meals?

45 posts in this topic

mmmm fried calamari.

Calamari! Yes, fread calamari. And you can use the flour for breading.

People living thousands of years ago had much stronger immune systems than we do nowadays, antibiotics have allowed us to keep more troubling diseases under control, but most people get way to many of them.

Also, aside from shellfish, there aren't really any foodborn illness that come from the average fish. Bottom feeders such as catfish might have parasites in the meat, but other than that you could pretty much eat a large variety of fish raw with no ill effect.

Of course things have kinda changed with polutants and such but I don't see any factories spewing green goop in tfc.

In fact you would probably be more likly to get a harmful bacteria from "cooked" pork that wasn't really cooked totally thuroughly than from freshish raw fish.

As a biology student, I must disagree.

First of all, it's not about the bacteria being the main problem, but parasitic worms of various kinds, which are becoming less prevalent as civilization advances, due to improvements in hygiene.

Eating raw pork is risky due to the possibility of taeniasis (pork tapeworm infection) or trychinosis (a nasty infection, in which you get worm eggs implanted in your tissues. While they don't hatch, you get many charming side effects, such as hemorrhages in your eyes, so you can save up on Halloween costumes - you have zombie eyes anyway). However, treating the eggs/larvae with high temperatures (while cooking) generally kills or disables them.

But fish aren't exempt from parasites of their own, but similarly, they can be killed during cooking: the most common are flukes of various kinds, like Opisthorchis felineus (cat liver fluke) or viverrini.

The thing is, bacterial infections are often pretty obvious, depending on the site of infection at least, meanwhile it's hardly uncommon for parasitic diseases to be either asymptomatic or mindblowingly horrifyingly obvious, so you can be a carrier without being aware of it (amusingly enough, for all that knowledge I myself have been recently diagnosed with roundworm infection, which in hindsight had noticable effects, but wasn't obvious).

Rerailing threads, since 2012!

snip

Then I was right when I said that sometimes sushi makes you sick true?

It would be amazing to have the icons for meals generated based on what was in them.

However, the benefits are few compared to the investment required.

It would be amazing to have the icons for meals generated based on what was in them.

At least the name.

Or maybe have special meals in game which require very specific preparation.

Egg + Rice + Chicken = Chicken Fried Rice

Rice + Egg + Chicken = Meal

You know... This all reminds me of Harvest Moon! And I LOVE that game!

Reminds me more of rune factory actually.

Young Padawan, you have so much to learn...

Rune factory was one of the few spinnoffs of harvest moon that is worth a while.

Then I was right when I said that sometimes sushi makes you sick true?

Yes, I am a sushi fan myself, but it may make you sick - although for most european fish at least, it's more likely they're just going bad during storage. It's a gamble either way.

I really would like more harvest moon-ey stuff in this game.

and I really wonder how I haven't played rune factory yet, what was it for?

I really would like more harvest moon-ey stuff in this game.

and I really wonder how I haven't played rune factory yet, what was it for?

that gameboy that looks different, what is it called?

Nintendo DS!

mmm yes, I think I've got those files somewhere... how much can you buy a DS for now a days? less than $100?

Why do you want a DS? I have it and it has a bad graphic.

Why do you want a DS? I have it and it has a bad graphic.

Graphic is not all that important, look at minecraft, does it have good graphics?

Graphic is not all that important, look at minecraft, does it have good graphics?

I like it. And there are awesome texture packs in this forum. Then remember that the TFC graphic is made by Bioxx and his texture makers. I like the default.

As a biology student, I must disagree.

First of all, it's not about the bacteria being the main problem, but parasitic worms of various kinds, which are becoming less prevalent as civilization advances, due to improvements in hygiene.

Eating raw pork is risky due to the possibility of taeniasis (pork tapeworm infection) or trychinosis (a nasty infection, in which you get worm eggs implanted in your tissues. While they don't hatch, you get many charming side effects, such as hemorrhages in your eyes, so you can save up on Halloween costumes - you have zombie eyes anyway). However, treating the eggs/larvae with high temperatures (while cooking) generally kills or disables them.

But fish aren't exempt from parasites of their own, but similarly, they can be killed during cooking: the most common are flukes of various kinds, like Opisthorchis felineus (cat liver fluke) or viverrini.

The thing is, bacterial infections are often pretty obvious, depending on the site of infection at least, meanwhile it's hardly uncommon for parasitic diseases to be either asymptomatic or mindblowingly horrifyingly obvious, so you can be a carrier without being aware of it (amusingly enough, for all that knowledge I myself have been recently diagnosed with roundworm infection, which in hindsight had noticable effects, but wasn't obvious).

Rerailing threads, since 2012!

Do you basically disagreed with what I said, and then typed a bunch of information that supported what I said... /clap

I like it. And there are awesome texture packs in this forum. Then remember that the TFC graphic is made by Bioxx and his texture makers. I like the default.

I think i responded to this...

Taste is taste... I just can't play with the standard 16x16 textures, I just can't.........

Do you basically disagreed with what I said, and then typed a bunch of information that supported what I said... /clap

No, I did not. First of all:

there aren't really any foodborn illness that come from the average fish. Bottom feeders such as catfish might have parasites in the meat, but other than that you could pretty much eat a large variety of fish raw with no ill effect.

What I said is that illnesses coming from raw fish aren't really uncommon in a number of species, not only bottom feeders.

things have kinda changed with polutants

Again, parasitic and bacterial infection is still the most common, and no matter how well you cook your fish, you won't remove pollutants such as heavy metals, and aren't guaranteed to get rid of pesticides and other organic compounds.

you would probably be more likly to get a harmful bacteria from "cooked" pork that wasn't really cooked totally thuroughly than from freshish raw fish.

Bacterial infection is as likely if you are talking about raw fish and raw pork, well, perhaps saltwater fish may be slightly better preserved by the salt but that's it. Besides, the problem with uncooked meat (including fish) is not the bacteria, which won't be a problem immediately, but parasites, which, as I explained, are present in both types of meat.

So, how did I support your position? I may have misunderstood it, please clarify.

Guys, big misunderstoods can happen. I too make these sometimes. But now don't start a conflict for this.