Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Solifuge

Stone Redux

23 posts in this topic

Great work on TFC! As a fan of Dwarf Fortress, and someone who likes more meat and potatoes in my games, this has been a welcome addition to my Minecrafting. Had a few simple suggestions regarding stone, which I thought might improve the gameplay in the earliest stages of the game, and make things a bit more intuitive.

Stone would no longer be treated as a craftable block by itself, but instead becomes a material and tool. Right clicking with a held stone throws the stone with moderate speed and distance, and deals light damage. Throwing a stone destroys the item.

Posted Image

In order to build with them, 4 Stones must be used to craft a Cobblestone Block:

Posted Image

Stones can also be chisled into Bricks*, 4 of which are used to assemble a Stone Brick Block:

Posted ImagePosted Image

*Other recipes could be revised to use these Bricks instead of Brick Blocks as well.

Since Cobblestone is currently placeable very early on, you need to create a method for players clean it up as well. I'd propose that Hammers be upgraded to allow them to crush Cobblestone and Brick blocks into 3-4 Stones, ala Glowstone.

Posted Image

A similar system could also be used to create mudbrick walls from clay, which is chisled into a brick, baked, and assembled into walls, similar to vanilla minecraft. Craftable halfslabs and stairs made of stone, planks, or bricks might also be worthwhile, since the chisel system is a bit clunky at present.

Great work on TFC! As a fan of Dwarf Fortress, and someone who likes more meat and potatoes in my games, this has been a welcome addition to my Minecrafting. Had a few simple suggestions regarding stone, which I thought might improve the gameplay in the earliest stages of the game, and make things a bit more intuitive.

Stone would no longer be treated as a craftable block by itself, but instead becomes a material and tool. Right clicking with a held stone throws the stone with moderate speed and distance, and deals light damage. Throwing a stone destroys the item.

Posted Image

In order to build with them, 4 Stones must be used to craft a Cobblestone Block:

Posted Image

Stones can also be chisled into Bricks*, 4 of which are used to assemble a Stone Brick Block:

Posted ImagePosted Image

*Other recipes could be revised to use these Bricks instead of Brick Blocks as well.

Since Cobblestone is currently placeable very early on, you need to create a method for players clean it up as well. I'd propose that Hammers be upgraded to allow them to crush Cobblestone and Brick blocks into 3-4 Stones, ala Glowstone.

Posted Image

It was a great idea until bricks... Although I think it was suggested a long time ago but not with this many pics.

BTW, Welcome to the forums, soon you'll see your idea going into a derailed train.

What about bricks as a material breaks the idea for you? It's not unlike minecraft's existing clay bricks, and is pretty intuitive; the recipes for cobble and brick walls are the same, just with an additional level of processing involved, in exchange for building walls with greater structural strength.

Also the addition of individual bricks as an item makes a bit more sense when used in more complex recipes. For instance, when making a Bloomery, it makes a bit more sense that this single Bloomery Block is made out of 8 bricks with fuel in the middle, rather than out of the equivalent of 8 stone walls, no?

Also, thanks for the welcome and warning. Just because the derail is inevitable, it doesn't mean we won't try our damnedest to keep this from jumping the rails!

I think the idea is brilliant, though, the individual bricks seems like an extra step for exactly the same outcome as how our bricks work now. Unless there was some other way to use the bricks I think we should just keep that part the same.

What about bricks as a material breaks the idea for you? It's not unlike minecraft's existing clay bricks, and is pretty intuitive; the recipes for cobble and brick walls are the same, just with an additional level of processing involved for greater structural strength.

Also the addition of individual bricks as an item makes a bit more sense when used in more complex recipes. For instance, when making a Bloomery, it makes a bit more sense that this single Bloomery Block is made out of 8 bricks with fuel in the middle, rather than out of the equivalent of 8 stone walls, no?

Also, thanks for the welcome and warning. Just because the derail is inevitable, it doesn't mean we won't try our damnedest to keep this from jumping the rails!

Stone bricks... I don't think they do exist as such, bricks are a mix of clay and aggregate. When only stone is used as a construction material is usually in the form of cobble, I may be wrong and would like to see it if so.

Stone bricks... I don't think they do exist as such, bricks are a mix of clay and aggregate. When only stone is used as a construction material is usually in the form of cobble, I may be wrong and would like to see it if so.

I can oblige you there. :3

Posted Image

I can oblige you there. :3

Posted Image

Now I like your idea!

I'm very fond of this idea until the construction overhaul is done

soon you'll see your idea going into a derailed train.

since JAG removed the pennies, there may be a slight delay on our departure from the rails. But we urge passengers to be patient, we will achieve limited flight followed by a mess of twisted metal and death as soon as possible.

since JAG removed the pennies, there may be a slight delay on our departure from the rails. But we urge passengers to be patient, we will achieve limited flight followed by a mess of twisted metal and death as soon as possible.

arch....dont do it, just.....just don't

arch....dont do it, just.....just don't

What? I'm not the conductor, so don't look at me. I'm just the announcer dude, who nobody can understand, so ignore what I just said.

I like it. Using stones as projectiles seems intuitive, but I'm not sure how it should be balanced in relation to javelins.

nice and simple idea. could be made like this unti we get the real overhaul, i like the fact that i could finally stand on my wall and throw stones at creepers.

While all the ideas listed make sense to me and I like them all, being able to break up the cobblestone with a hammer is especially nice, as it does seem odd that I can place cobblestone down but not collect it.

I like it. Using stones as projectiles seems intuitive, but I'm not sure how it should be balanced in relation to javelins.

I've always thought that javelins should require spear heads to be knapped first instead of just jamming an unshaped rock on a stick. i'm even pretty sure what the knapping recipe would look like!

So, have the stones deal light damage and stone javelins medium damage! or greater.

Edited by GreenLeaf

JAG

*Out of nowhere, he appears, in the middle of a cloud of smoke* WHO DARES TO MENTION MY NAME IN A THREAD I STILL HAVEN'T ROAMED INTO?!?!?! YOU SHALL BE-*coughs multiple times due to the smoke* ... ejem... okay, i'm done.

I like this a lot :3 though, since there seems to be nothing joining the bricks together (in your idea for crafting, or in this mod's way to do it right now, anyways), couldn't brick blocks be broke with a hammer as well? though, you would only get one (or none!) of the bricks back, and the rest either rocks or nothing at all. I mean... you are hitting a pile of bricks with a hammer, why it would stay intact? in the cobble it doesn't matters that much (you just get little rocks when breaking rocks) , though you could not get all the rocks back (you could break it a little too... well, little : like, dust sized?). But in the bricks? they need to keep their particular shape to keep being bricks, so breaking them won't give you back the brick, but.. well, rocks i guess.

For me this brings up the question of whether you're hitting something when you "punch" it or whether you're just working with it and that is the common animation. The best examples I have for this is when you hit a plank block, you're not punching it, you're probably just loosening it and picking it up, with sand and dirt, you're not punching it, you're digging it with your hands. With cobble or bricks, using the hammer is probably just tapping the stone to loosen the pieces so you can gather them, which of course would mean that loose rock and bricks should be dropped instead of the actual blocks, but the point remains, I don't imagine you're destroying anything.

Throwing rocks should not break them. They should bounce off, plant themselves on the ground(if possible) as a 'loose stone' block. Granted that yes, you CAN break a rock over someones head, it is not the norm for it to happen and in most cases the skull gives way to the rock. Thats a no on rocks disappearing on hit. The damage they do should be a little more then a punch, and all projectiles should be able to break glass(except snow, because that would just be annoying)

As for bricks, bricks could be crafted with a chisel, hammer, and the desired stone. This would open a knapping esque GUI for the player to 'shape' the brick. This would allow users to create elaborate brickwork when paired with multiple shaped bricks. To insure that its not too difficult to do for the user, it would work as a tetris type deal(or something very visually oriented where each 2d shape has to fit into each other). Crafting is 4 Shaped bricks. Successfully crafting gives you a brick wall item, failure drops all four brick items on the ground. I am specifically not mentioning how mortar would work, as I feel I could not come up with a proper mechanic for this.

I've always thought that javelins should require spear heads to be knapped first instead of just jamming an unshaped rock on a stick. i'm even pretty sure what the knapping recipe would look like!

So, have the stones deal light damage and stone javelins medium damage! or greater.

I should also say that since a stick plus an unshaped rock equals javelin doesn't make sense to me, a stone club does make sense to me! it wouldn't be a huge upgrade from the knife or the axe but like the mace, it could have a better knockback.

it seems to me that 4 bricks in a crafting table to make a brick block is like notifying minecraft that you intend to stack bricks tightly together, not actually using morter to glue them together. i mean we chiseled the stones to the precise size and shape to fit nicely together. so when breaking brick blocks we should get back 4 bricks.

I skipped most of everything here to mention that the op would be counter productive to the indicated direction of the mod. The only reason we pick up stones instead of cobblestone is because it was a step to bringing generation in line with the building system to be implemented in the future.

Rocks being throw-able as weapons I agree with, them disappearing I don't (ever thrown a rock? It lands and you can pick it up and throw it again.) The crafting of 4 rocks into cobblestone and whatever else as I mentioned would be counter productive to even think of coding.

lol I'm fairly certain Bioxx has suggested being interested in practically this same idea before when someone mentioned how it was odd that these 'rocks' we pick up could be used as cobblestone.

lol I'm fairly certain Bioxx has suggested being interested in practically this same idea before when someone mentioned how it was odd that these 'rocks' we pick up could be used as cobblestone.

We use to pick up cobble stone, it wouldn't even make sense to add a mechanic to turn the new item obtained from digging stone and now picking up rocks into the old item we use to pick up. Use to mine cobblestone from stone, and get flint from the rocks spread about. The entire point of making it so you pick up these stones was a precursor to the construction system, where you would take these stones, plus mortar or what have you and build a stone wall, rather than placing cubic meters of stone at a time. It remains to be seen how construction will be implemented but I will be honestly disappointed if it is cheapened by some silly recipe of 4 stones in a crafting grid rather than this complex building process that has been mentioned to be in thought.

Quite honestly it doesn't even matter that it doesn't make sense that a half implemented mechanic is there. We place stones and they become cobblestone because it isn't complete yet.