Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ditto8353

Geologist's Handbook

24 posts in this topic

Simple enough:

An extremely rare drop/find. A book containing geological notes similar to the information currently presented on the wiki about Ores and Minerals.

Simple enough:

An extremely rare drop/find. A book containing geological notes similar to the information currently presented on the wiki about Ores and Minerals.

Why not 4 books? One about the trees and all the wood stuff, one like you said, one about prospector's pick, sluices and loose rocks and the last about agricolture and breeding.

Simple enough:

This would imply that someone has been in the Minecraft world before you (a geologist), right? I am pretty sure that Bioxx does not want it to be like that; he wants it to be like how you are the first one. I mean he has said there are no plans to add NPCs and removed villagers. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Anyway, care to elaborate more? What would it drop from, Where would you find it, etc. But as for the idea, I think it is pretty good.

I have some ideas of my own:

SPOILERED CAUSE OF WOLF, BUT READ IT ANYWAY IF YOU WISH

think there should be multiple books. For trees/wood, agriculture, stone, sluices, small ores, maybe the prospectors pick, etc.

EDIT: After reading wolf's post, who pretty much said the same thing as me, I spoilered my idea. WOLF YOU GOT THERE BEFORE ME! *shakes fist*

/jk/ lol^^

Simple enough:

An In-game version of the wiki has been shot down before, Bioxx and Dunk don't want it becoming a "numbers" game and they don't want the information to just fall into your hands. The whole point is to figure stuff out on your own if possible, some things you can't, and that's what the wiki is for, but it's easy to learn about the trees or rock layers by experimentation. Personally, I agree with Bioxx and Dunk on this one, completely and totally.

(disclaimer: This is their stance as a I understand it, I could be wrong, so don't quote me. And if I got it wrong, sorry Bioxx and Dunk :P )

I think ANY form of in-game guidance (but NOT straight facts) would be nice. You could start off your world with a diary-like entry in a book that gives hints on how to start a world.

I think ANY form of in-game guidance (but NOT straight facts) would be nice. You could start off your world with a diary-like entry in a book that gives hints on how to start a world.

The idea that I had. But do you mean something like "Don't punch trees, you need an axe"?

suggested months ago. Answer was no.

Please "x" the option that applies.

- Strongly agree

- Agree

- Neutral

- Disagree

x Strongly disagree

Congratulations, you've been Likert scaled.

The only in game books/scrolls/info i would like would be random books(with pre-written short stories) Nothing game changing, just something 'fun' that allows a little diversion from the usual game play. These books COULD contain hints on how things work in TFC(find some journal, it mentions he made a cook fire with some of the surrounding brush) but nothing really informative. This could go as far as creating old and rare ruins that dot the landscape with rare and useless(but fun) items. The most these ruins could ever provide is shelter at best. And for you hardcore players out there, they would fall under the 'generated structure' option, so not even the shelter could be abused as early game 'buff'

Edit: this brings up on who would make and add to all these stories in the first place. I would suggest that these are all made by us as a community effort.

again, this would not really be helpful as it would be like the vanilla records: Fun items that act only as status symbols

The only in game books/scrolls/info i would like would be random books(with pre-written short stories) Nothing game changing, just something 'fun' that allows a little diversion from the usual game play. These books COULD contain hints on how things work in TFC(find some journal, it mentions he made a cook fire with some of the surrounding brush) but nothing really informative. This could go as far as creating old and rare ruins that dot the landscape with rare and useless(but fun) items. The most these ruins could ever provide is shelter at best. And for you hardcore players out there, they would fall under the 'generated structure' option, so not even the shelter could be abused as early game 'buff'

Edit: this brings up on who would make and add to all these stories in the first place. I would suggest that these are all made by us as a community effort.

again, this would not really be helpful as it would be like the vanilla records: Fun items that act only as status symbols

Well... yeah, that sounds good :3 but... let's just not take the vanilla way of getting this "status symbols". I mean... "Whooo hoo, look at me, i lured a creeper in front of me so a skeleton kills it, i'm a pro~"... that just doesn't seems to work for me : once, i literally got a record in the first night.

Well... yeah, that sounds good :3 but... let's just not take the vanilla way of getting this "status symbols". I mean... "Whooo hoo, look at me, i lured a creeper in front of me so a skeleton kills it, i'm a pro~"... that just doesn't seems to work for me : once, i literally got a record in the first night.

Yeah, these special items would have to be hard to get and require effort. Perhaps, as Dunk mentioned, they would be hidden in crypts sometimes, or behind an ancient ruin's locked door/puzzle.

Well, no, what I did nto mention is that we should go about having them obtainable in distinct new ways. Yes, Mob vs Mob kills would definitely be one, but there would have to be ones obtained for killing a mob in some extraordinary way, finding it in a burned out old house, a number of them found inside a small town, dead for years. They would be found practically everywhere, and each set of books would have a unique way to be found. Only some could be gotten from zed vs zed kills, some would and could only be found in a crypt. Etc, etc.

the status of it comes from completing a collection, or for that matter a set. Imagine having an actual library with over 300 unique community made books. Yeah, keep imagining that. Now, I want you to picture dunk and bioxx saying yes. Keep on imagining it. Now, dunk, bioxx, I want you to imagine my soothing voice. You are getting vary sleepy. Sleepy. When i snap my fingers, you will say 'yes'

~snap~

did it work? will you all consider it? seriously, Im up to writing a crap ton of short stories for something like this, and Im sure a number of us here are just as willing. If its feasible in the code, would you? I believe forge supports new dungeon generation, and chest generation. the big issue would be mob interaction to get some of the sets. Non skelly interaction to get a rare drop may present issues, but I am sure it can be done without base edits, right?

-don't make mob vs mob kills a way to obtain those books!-

-Yeah, he is right, don't do it! do something else!-

*snip* Yes, Mob vs Mob kills would definitely be one *snip* -proposes some actual pretty good ways to get them other than mob vs mob-

*facepalm*

But yeah, i myself could just copypaste some short stories i already wrote :P though i would have to translate them to english... unless you want them to be ancient texts, written in a language as old as this world is, hardly understandable, but nevertheless, precious and valuable :P

EDIT: i felt i wasn't being fair with the quotes, that i wasn't giving credit to your good ideas... so i modified them a little bit.

Muti language support is actually quite a biggy, so leave it as is AND/OR translate it over for language support. I am tempted to say we need to wait for a yes on this, but at te same time to say 'start a thread posting them'

We could just have an off-topic thread for people to post any story they can think of, under the knowledge that what they did is not untouchable (what i mean is, people can critizice freely.). If we get a no, we at least have a good compilation of interesting stories. If we get a yes, we can start a votation to see which of this stories should appear in the game.

Hmm, lets do it. You make the topic, I'll eventually get around to posting in it.

Hmm, lets do it. You make the topic, I'll eventually get around to posting in it.

Lol, it's the second time i make you open a thread due to something we thought out in other thread :P

no no, you got it backwards, im making YOU do it this time. you owe me for last time ;D

Ok, ok... i'm just a little too lazy to translate anything right now -_- just gonna quote this discussion and done.

Hmm, I'll be sure to write a few things to post, if this comes to fruition it could end up being really cool :)

The only in game books/scrolls/info i would like would be random books(with pre-written short stories) Nothing game changing, just something 'fun' that allows a little diversion from the usual game play. These books COULD contain hints on how things work in TFC(find some journal, it mentions he made a cook fire with some of the surrounding brush) but nothing really informative.

Love this idea. I think it could add to the "mythos", of sorts, of your world. Perhaps you could find a prospector's diary at an old campfire (with a few log piles and other selected frontiersman paraphernalia nearby for effect). It could read like:

10 January, Second year from Home

I woke this morning to a cool northern wind and dark clouds beyond the mountains, I think a storm will be upon me before tomorrow. I constructed several sluices today along the river to the south in an attempt to find some ore. I've found that some of the sluices are more productive than others-- I must investigate this further. Before returning to camp this evening, I took a hog with my new bow; its meat should last me many nights after I cook it into some meals. It has begun to rain and, though it is not quite dark yet, I can already hear the moaning and bumping of the night-creatures. I hope to survive another day in this foreign land-- an adventure here is not for the feint-hearted.

-ST

And bam, there's an interesting story (IMO) and several hints: 1) Ore is rare and it won't always come up in your sluice. 2) This mod rewards personal exploration into its mechanics. 3) You can stretch your food supplies by making creating meals.

Anyway, I think its a cool idea even if not implemented into the main TFC mod. I just think that lore really increases the depth of whatever fantasy world you are trying to create.

Except that tidbit there appears bland and makes me feel as if it serves only to inform, both are things we wish to avoid.

I like this ^.^ Sounds gud!

hey, guess what, theres this awesome little button up at the top right corner of the post that you can click, that makes it so you dont have to post useless crap like this