Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Just_Another_Guy_:)

Post your story!

31 posts in this topic

Laziness attacks me this halloween, so i'm just quoting the discussion that lead to the creation of this thread -o-

We could just have an off-topic thread for people to post any story they can think of, under the knowledge that what they did is not untouchable (what i mean is, people can critizice freely.). If we get a no, we at least have a good compilation of interesting stories. If we get a yes, we can start a votation to see which of this stories should appear in the game.

(The actual discussion)

The only in game books/scrolls/info i would like would be random books(with pre-written short stories) Nothing game changing, just something 'fun' that allows a little diversion from the usual game play. These books COULD contain hints on how things work in TFC(find some journal, it mentions he made a cook fire with some of the surrounding brush) but nothing really informative. This could go as far as creating old and rare ruins that dot the landscape with rare and useless(but fun) items. The most these ruins could ever provide is shelter at best. And for you hardcore players out there, they would fall under the 'generated structure' option, so not even the shelter could be abused as early game 'buff'

Edit: this brings up on who would make and add to all these stories in the first place. I would suggest that these are all made by us as a community effort.

again, this would not really be helpful as it would be like the vanilla records: Fun items that act only as status symbols

Well... yeah, that sounds good :3 but... let's just not take the vanilla way of getting this "status symbols". I mean... "Whooo hoo, look at me, i lured a creeper in front of me so a skeleton kills it, i'm a pro~"... that just doesn't seems to work for me :\ once, i literally got a record in the first night.

Well, no, what I did nto mention is that we should go about having them obtainable in distinct new ways. Yes, Mob vs Mob kills would definitely be one, but there would have to be ones obtained for killing a mob in some extraordinary way, finding it in a burned out old house, a number of them found inside a small town, dead for years. They would be found practically everywhere, and each set of books would have a unique way to be found. Only some could be gotten from zed vs zed kills, some would and could only be found in a crypt. Etc, etc.

the status of it comes from completing a collection, or for that matter a set. Imagine having an actual library with over 300 unique community made books. Yeah, keep imagining that. Now, I want you to picture dunk and bioxx saying yes. Keep on imagining it. Now, dunk, bioxx, I want you to imagine my soothing voice. You are getting vary sleepy. Sleepy. When i snap my fingers, you will say 'yes'

~snap~

did it work? will you all consider it? seriously, Im up to writing a crap ton of short stories for something like this, and Im sure a number of us here are just as willing. If its feasible in the code, would you? I believe forge supports new dungeon generation, and chest generation. the big issue would be mob interaction to get some of the sets. Non skelly interaction to get a rare drop may present issues, but I am sure it can be done without base edits, right?

*facepalm*

But yeah, i myself could just copypaste some short stories i already wrote :P though i would have to translate them to english... unless you want them to be ancient texts, written in a language as old as this world is, hardly understandable, but nevertheless, precious and valuable :P

EDIT: i felt i wasn't being fair with the quotes, that i wasn't giving credit to your good ideas... so i modified them a little bit.

Muti language support is actually quite a biggy, so leave it as is AND/OR translate it over for language support. I am tempted to say we need to wait for a yes on this, but at te same time to say 'start a thread posting them'

Ah, missed this before posting in the original thread... oh well. Here is my official, unofficial submission. I intend it to be either in a collection of journal entries or "alone" (I like this idea better) on a page as if it were torn from a book long ago:

Love this idea. I think it could add to the "mythos", of sorts, of your world. Perhaps you could find a prospector's diary at an old campfire (with a few log piles and other selected frontiersman paraphernalia nearby for effect). It could read like:

10 January, Second year from Home

I woke this morning to a cool northern wind and dark clouds beyond the mountains, I think a storm will be upon me before tomorrow. I constructed several sluices today along the river to the south in an attempt to find some ore. I've found that some of the sluices are more productive than others-- I must investigate this further. Before returning to camp this evening, I took a hog with my new bow; its meat should last me many nights after I cook it into some meals. It has begun to rain and, though it is not quite dark yet, I can already hear the moaning and bumping of the night-creatures. I hope to survive another day in this foreign land-- an adventure here is not for the feint-hearted.

-ST

I am HIGHLY critical of written contents. If I at any point insult your work(or by fault, you) then take it as the criticism. This is the only time I will apologize in this thread for my actions.

there are a number of things we are avoiding in this thread, and below is the list:

-Overly informative pieces. If we say that it tells too much about the mod, then drop it or change it. No text should be an infotext

-References to the cubic world. This mod is about immersion. The player is supposivly have always existed in this world of cubes and DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ELSE. this does not mean you cant mention circles and the like as that would not be foreign. Mentioning that the world is cubes is however very bad.

-Breaking the 4th wall. references that 'break the 4th wall' are a NO. anything that refers to our world(irl) should not be mentioned.

-Herobrine: I see way to much fanfic on this guy. Dont do it, I will brutally murder your content

-Avoid Religion. Avoid it, does not mean you ant write a little of it. However, do not attempt to write in a bible, or write in a religion based on an existing one. This may change, but bioxx killed the last thread that even mentioned it. The reasons were understandable, and I feel I do not need to mention them here.

-MLP. Seriously, your not making me explain this. You know EXACTLY why. this go's for ALL fanfic not relating directly to TFC. If you feel you MUST write stuff for this, I will be glad to send you a few sites.

-Crafting references. Yes, I know, you craft everything. DON'T SAY CRAFT UNLESS NECESSARY. it ruins reader immersion. Use words such as build, built, created. Why? Well, it looks better on paper, and this project is all about what looks good on paper.

-Coordinates. Mentioning them is a bad thing in all cases. Any writing that mentions directions to obtaining something in game will be designated a guide and thrown out.

-Keep it PG-13(or the closest your region has to this term) at least. We have a huge age range in this mod, and want to keep it relatively clean.

thats all I can think at this time, this list is subject to expand.

June, 998

Day 1

We are being sent to sail to a new island to see what we can mine. We have been supplied with a chisel, an axe, and some logs to maintain our ship.

Day 2

We must have been sailing for months now, but we have finally spotted land.

Day 3

We have made landfall, but there are no rocks around, and our tools broke maintaining our rotting ship.

Day 4

We lost many good men yesterday to the creatures of the night, but have finally found some stones on the ground. we seem to have found a deposit of copper as well, because there were many chipped fragments on the ground.

Day 5

We set up camp yesterday using some rough tools we made from the stones. We still have no swords, and the rocks are to small to make some from them. we have some small knives, but they seem to small for use against anything but wood, wheat, or maybe some spiders.

Day 6

Before we could get any form of defence set up, the zombies invaded. those of us who survived are on the run. oh no, I hear the moaning.

Day 7

I'm all that's left, the rest have all turned into.. (the rest of the message has a brownish smudge covering it)

Day 8

Brrraaaaiiiinnnsss

too short, and keeps getting 'too informative'

also hints at an origin of character, something that we should avoid to keep immersion

I should mention the crude effect of a zombie being added. I cant say i like it at all.

you've pretty much failed with this one, I suggest attempting to do some poetry. I think we could all start off with making the first set a bunch of poems. If we can organize what we need to do, we can speed though it and get the exact content we need.

Each 'set' should be 10 books, and contain each at least 10 pages of content.

Let's clear up something. Even though a dairy is ok, that's not all you can help with. As long as it feels like something from the game's realm -or at least narrated from it-, anything can do. That means you not only have chances to create dairies, but also, legends, myths and poetry. What i mean? It doesn't needs to hint the players towards the mechanics of the mod, it just needs to feel like something made in there.

Let's say you want a creepypasta to be included into the game. You will just adapt it so it feels natural for it to be there. There is no need for it to be informative in any point; it just needs to be good an help inmersion. If you like reading, the best we can do is to give you good reading material; if you don't, these rare books could be exchanged for other valuable things with other players.

There comes a time when all must end

Though here we tread with land to mend.

With naught but hands and minds of steel

We risk our lives for every meal

And though this life may seem unreal,

We, are Dwarves.

As the evening sun dips low

The moon may watch our stone house grow.

The earth is where we feel at home

Through darkened caves alone we roam

But soon return to a bed of loam.

We, are Dwarves.

Day in day out we mine our cave

Though in reality our grave,

And if the stone shelf high above

Decides to fall without a shove

We turn to earth with sacred love.

We, are Dwarves.

snip

EternalUndeath said something like this in the past.

There comes a time when all must end

Though here we tread with land to mend.

With naught but hands and minds of steel

We risk our lives for every meal

And though this life may seem unreal,

We, are Dwarves.

As the evening sun dips low

The moon may watch our stone house grow.

The earth is where we feel at home

Through darkened caves alone we roam

But soon return to a bed of loam.

We, are Dwarves.

Day in day out we mine our cave

Though in reality our grave,

And if the stone shelf high above

Decides to fall without a shove

We turn to earth with sacred love.

We, are Dwarves.

Looks pretty good to me :3

Heres some things to help you guys: I think pre-written books/scrolls will not be from a recent time period, most likely from an ancient race, the ones who built the crypts and tombs you can find, and so will contain stories written from a perspective other than the modern one, ie different culture, viewpoints and ideals. I want to try to work out a twisting, magnificent backstory for their culture, one that is interesting, engaging and expands and explains what happened to them and why the undead now haunt their ancient halls :)

Also I might troll the crap out of you guys and write a language generator that will invent seed-specific languages (and possibly alphabets) so that you won't be able to read any of the texts until you work out how to read the language. (I might include a sort of rosetta stone artifact to help you decipher them.) Some important things about the language generator though, it's not going to be an english code, or a code for any other language. The language structure will be random, and might include or exclude articles, proper nouns adverbs or anything else. Grammatically it will be different as well, the sentence "I went to the store today" might translate to "go the store, I do previously this day" in a possible language. This makes it harder to decipher a language as you have to figure out the language structure. I think I'll write a bunch of possible stories which can also be random, so that you have a reason to solve it all more than once :)

Get ready to be a scholar :))

There will be useful things hidden in the language in some texts too, so it won't just be for a fun thing to do, it might help you find hidden tombs or secret rooms or some other interesting clue.

-awesome snip-

The awesomeness of this idea is infinite.

Holy crap Dunk, that sounds amazing.

I'm a hardcore theory-crafter when it comes to my gaming. I used to play MMOs a lot and I would spend hours working out formulas and balancing stats.

...When a game has this much depth, when I actually have to translate a language on my own in order to read the history of the world, there is no reason to ever do number crunching. When a game pulls you in like this, you can't pull yourself out long enough to look at the math.

The awesomeness of this idea is infinite.

thank you. For the language generator, I'll have to write a section that can determine a bunch of true-false values for the language structure, then I'll have to write a sort of language compiler that will take the text and conceptualize it, ie break sentences down into specifics like nouns, verbs, adjectives, and the tense of the sentence. Obviously this means the original stories have to be written in a very precise manner, I'll try to maintain all of the information, but the raw storage will have to use a very limited number of words. When creating words, it'll access it's seed-specific word calculator, which will define how words are structured. If it comes across an english word that doesn't have a translation, or is in a different tense or is plural/singular, it will generate a new word for it. When looking at a new word, it will group the word into other groups with similar uses/meanings, and then apply procedural transformations on it. ie, if it comes across a plural of another word, it will apply the pluralization modification to the word and store the new word in it's dictionary. If it comes across a word that I have told it is similar to another word that it happens to already have, it may structure the word with similar sounds. An idea I had the other day for one possible language option is kinda cool: the vowel alphabet would consist of a number of sounds, for example ah, uh, ooh, ee, ih, eh, ow etc. In this particular language, it would be the consonants that determine the meaning of the word and the vowels that determine the tense. If we assign the english vowels a,i,e,u,o (in that order) for some words, the word "wirunelu" [has no meaning, I just picked random consonants] would be present tense and present tense words would not contain a's or o's. The future tense would be one vowel shift up, ie "warenile" and the past tense would be "weronulo". I like playing with language.

Oooh! Ooh! Hey! Hey guys!

Use hash tags in your stories for things like the Race and Names and Places. That way it is easy for the code to randomly assign names for these things, or they can just be easily changed later with Find-Replace if they decide on a specific name for the race.

I've lived in #PLACE1 all my life. That is to be expected though, #RACEs never enjoy being far from their homes. Sometimes I wonder though, about the world, and what else is out there. Maybe one day I can convince #NAME1 to travel with me, out past the old #PLACE2 Wall. The things we could discover...

"I've lived in #PLACE1 all my life. That is to be expected though, #RACEs never enjoy being far from their homes. Sometimes I wonder though, about the world, and what else is out there. Maybe one day I can convince #NAME1 to travel with me, out past the old #PLACE2 Wall. The things we could discover..."

This sounds like a good plan. But it would probably look more like this once I've translated it for the code " #PAST[#SPEAKER do live in #PLACE1 all #SPEAKERtagPOSSESIVE life.] #PRESENT[but it is normal, #RACEtagPLURAL not like be far from #RACEtagPOSSESIVE homes.] #PRESENT[sometime #SPEAKER think, of the world, + what other exist.] #FUTURE(?)[Maybe a day #SPEAKER able get #NAME1 to travel with #SPEAKER, back of the old #PLACE2 Wall.] #PRESENT[Think of things #SPEAKERtagPLURAL able find...] "

"I've lived in #PLACE1 all my life. That is to be expected though, #RACEs never enjoy being far from their homes. Sometimes I wonder though, about the world, and what else is out there. Maybe one day I can convince #NAME1 to travel with me, out past the old #PLACE2 Wall. The things we could discover..."

This sounds like a good plan. But it would probably look more like this once I've translated it for the code " #PAST[#SPEAKER do live in #PLACE1 all #SPEAKERtagPOSSESIVE life.] #PRESENT[but it is normal, #RACEtagPLURAL not like be far from #RACEtagPOSSESIVE homes.] #PRESENT[sometime #SPEAKER think, of the world, + what other exist.] #FUTURE(?)[Maybe a day #SPEAKER able get #NAME1 to travel with #SPEAKER, back of the old #PLACE2 Wall.] #PRESENT[Think of things #SPEAKERtagPLURAL able find...] "

The bugs that unavoidably may come with this will be hillarious!

The bugs that unavoidably may come with this will be hillarious!

awww don't you believe in me? :(

alright, a few thoughts on what this will all entail. First, for immersions sake, we need to break down the book item into several items exactly the same, but with different names, textures, and possibly text limits. Thease items would be stone-boards, Scrolls, Notes(single papers), tapestries, Books, and anything else you can imagine.

further, there would necessarily have to be blocks that function like a cross between a sign and a book. Cave writing is just one example. We would have to invent our own form of hieroglyphs, as well as abuse the hell outta dunks proposed random language generator. Not only this, but i believe we should have a number of languages prevalent within each world.

Blocks are read by right clicking. they look like normal blocks of that type, but one face has a 'etched' texture instead. these blocks can be mined and placed without losing their data(meta data tied to simple .txt document?)

I really like that this idea is being looked at seriously by you dunk. Especially considering how useless it really is (functionality wise). what is your co-ops thoughts on this?(bioxx)

awww don't you believe in me? :(

I do believe you, but imagine when you figure out how to read it and for some curious random chance you get "You suck" on the thing you were to translate.

I do believe you, but imagine when you figure out how to read it and for some curious random chance you get "You suck" on the thing you were to translate.

lol won't let that happen. Especially since it will be in another language, so if you translate it as "you suck" I will merely claim that you did it wrong.

FOOL PROOF :D

lol won't let that happen. Especially since it will be in another language, so if you translate it as "you suck" I will merely claim that you did it wrong.

FOOL PROOF :D

You underestimate fools! Still it would be pretty funny, If I can give you a suggestion is to make some sentences be very rare and just be funny, maybe hit the 4th wall.

There is the language that Minecraft uses in a really poor way, the standard galatic alphabet, that if used would tie things up a little better.

You underestimate fools! Still it would be pretty funny, If I can give you a suggestion is to make some sentences be very rare and just be funny, maybe hit the 4th wall.

There is the language that Minecraft uses in a really poor way, the standard galatic alphabet, that if used would tie things up a little better.

The fact that mojang just translated english phrases into a widely known alphabet disheartened me when I found out. It took all the fun out of it.

Every English Profeesser in Canada and the Northern Half of America died of brain asplosions.

EDIT:Posted Image

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0