Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kotoroshinoto

mobs excessively difficult to kill

44 posts in this topic

no matter what I do until I get metal tools i get absolutely murdered by spiders & zombies, and because I dont have a bed I randomly respawn far away from the materials I lost. This is making it nearly impossible to get started.

Also the near total lack of trees means I dont have javelins.

could just be a bad seed, but it make for a dissapointing experience. It shouldnt be THIS hard to kill mobs without advanced weapons, at least not until after they're moved away from the surface.

no matter what I do until I get metal tools i get absolutely murdered by spiders & zombies, and because I dont have a bed I randomly respawn far away from the materials I lost. This is making it nearly impossible to get started.

Also the near total lack of trees means I dont have javelins.

could just be a bad seed, but it make for a dissapointing experience. It shouldnt be THIS hard to kill mobs without advanced weapons, at least not until after they're moved away from the surface.

You are suposed to fear the night, so it makes sense for the mobs to be stronger than you...

It could be a good idea if you killed 3 sheeps as fast as possible, make and take your bed with you and try to go nearer to 0 Z. There will probably be more trees there, when you find an area that you like, stay in there.

In general, yes, you were unlucky :

Have you tried a knife?

or javelin?

Knife is super overpowered last I played, and javelins thrown would 1 shot a creeper.

apparently you didnt read my post, I mentioned javelins: I could not obtain sticks due to complete lack of trees. traveling to find trees inevtiably resulted in my dying before I found any and respawning , again, in an area with zero trees.

it ALSO means NO KNIVES NO AXES ETC.(because... NO STICKS)

Bioxx, your change to combat HP/etc is coming DANGEROUSLY close to making this mod completely unplayable on some seeds, and seriously problematic even on good ones.

You might be killing your mod popularity in the long run if you dont do something about it.

At LEAST let us throw stones as a weapon until we find trees, otherwise we cannot defend ourselves at all.

(either that or give us a way to make bedding that doesnt involve wood, or some other way of securing a spawn point.)

I have to agree that this is problematic. the simple fact is is that punching something does a HELL lot more damage in RL then what is done in this mod. I know that in RL i could punch you in the middle of the ribcage and instantly kill you. but, as THAT does not translate to game, upping the damage dealt by all weapons(including fists) to do significantly more would be perfect then adding debuffs on top of that to take out the 'micro measurements' would finish the effect of combat. further, making weapon Types deal the same amount of damage between teirs, THEN having the debuffs range based on the metal used, would add as a perfect balance between reality and gamality.

a sword would always deal half a life damage, but a redsteal sword would have a massive bleeding debuff that allowed it to pratically one hit a target UNLESS its armor prevented the debuff.(in which case the mace becoems effective against such armored opponents as it dealts blunt damage ignoring MOST of the armor)

but this belongs in the combat thread.

I hate the night not because the mobs are too powered, but because they're too much, about 17-18 in my home chunk. And they all attack me like cowards. I really hate the cowards!!! Then I hate those stupid mobs. Too cowards to attack me one at the time.

I have to agree that this is problematic. the simple fact is is that punching something does a HELL lot more damage in RL then what is done in this mod. I know that in RL i could punch you in the middle of the ribcage and instantly kill you. but, as THAT does not translate to game, upping the damage dealt by all weapons(including fists) to do significantly more would be perfect then adding debuffs on top of that to take out the 'micro measurements' would finish the effect of combat. further, making weapon Types deal the same amount of damage between teirs, THEN having the debuffs range based on the metal used, would add as a perfect balance between reality and gamality.

a sword would always deal half a life damage, but a redsteal sword would have a massive bleeding debuff that allowed it to pratically one hit a target UNLESS its armor prevented the debuff.(in which case the mace becoems effective against such armored opponents as it dealts blunt damage ignoring MOST of the armor)

but this belongs in the combat thread.

according to dunk bioxx has already completely nixed the combat thread.

I should add this problem is being compounded heavily by the pumpkinhead monsters. I can't even safely travel in the daytime anymore.

and that is something I hope to challenge by debating how feasible it is. Im not skilled in the art he is, but I can help translate what I know into 'game logic'

each weapon deals a set amount of base damage. This damage is defined by the weapon used, such as a mace dealing perhaps only 4th total health damage and a sword dealing half. damage modifiers come in the form of blunt and slash damage. Based upon the weapons materals, this translates to extra blunt damage. A light zinc weapon will do practically no blunt damage, where a heavy iron sword would deal massive blunt damage. the weight of your weapon determines your extra 'oohmph' attack. This is not the end of it, as you may have a heavy weapon that deals massive damage, but you are attacking a armor that shatters your blade in seconds. depending on the armor, your blade may take different values of durability. A zinc sword snaps against mighty red steel. so while you may have created a lighter stronger metal, you have to come to the decision to use that for armor or for a weapon as not all metals are good for both. Now, because you used something that snapped against your opponent, lets for the sake of gameplay say it did NO damage. if it had not broken, it would have done a fractional damage based on the armors 'rating' each armor would have a damage reduction that reduces slash damage at 200% greater then it reduces blunt. if a weapon breaks on an armor, the armor does not lose durability. depending on the two ratings of the weapon and armor, durability takes fractionated damage(iron vs steel, the iron weapon takes more damage then the steel armor due to logical reasoning)

what this is saying is that now red steel isnt tops in all stats. It has its advantage as an armor, but a heavier alloy/metal would be better suited to dealing damage. what I am also saying is that swords lose durability faster then a mace, as the edge beating against a surface dulls it where a mace is about dealing almost pure blunt damage.(yes, i do know about spiked maces, but this is GAME logic) start tiers CANT take on later tiers because physics gave them a distinct disadvantage. Based on what I know, all of this can be done with relative ease, aside from advanced damage values

I kinda had things to do while I wrote this, so it is subject to my thought process not completing it.

Mobs have never been difficult to kill. A stone knife or javelin can easily kill anything in the game.

No trees? FInd some.

Can't find any? Sucks to be you. New map.

</thread>

Mobs have never been difficult to kill. A stone knife or javelin can easily kill anything in the game.

No trees? FInd some.

Can't find any? Sucks to be you. New map.

</thread>

wow, what a dickbag, nice helpful response? no he'd rather troll.

It has previously been stated that mobs are easily killed with a stone knife or javelin. So making one of these should be a priority if you plan to wander around at night.

There is one problem which could prevent you from doing this, and that is a lack of trees. You must either find trees, or create a new map. These are the only 2 solutions to this problem.

There is no reason to be offended if you do not like this solution.

I feel redundant in saying this, but this is the BETA phase. Getting all mad and raging because an incomplete element isn't exactly the way you want it to be is silly.

I do however agree that being able to throw stones would be quite beneficial, and I'm pretty certain that the first item that "Steve" could possibly come up with just plunking down in the world would be to throw a rock at something.

Combat changes are in their early stages, and character interaction with the world needs to be completed before combat can be really, by this i mean health and hunger and food and such. After all that is basically rounded the combat can be finished up, but again this is not a complete mod. Bioxx didn't just release these changes and say "there it is, I'm done coding so this is what you get." Really this is more of an alpha stage of the mod with open testing, the amount of changes that take place on a week to week basis are far beyond what a real beta would be considered.

Also the, "your suppose to fear the night" stuff is just dumb honestly. We already know from many statements that it is very likely that spiders, zombies, skeletons, creepers will move to crypts/depths environments and no longer spawn on the surface of the world. This doesn't mean there wont be dangers from mobs, just the mobs will be packs of wolves and bears and maybe panthers or whatever other predatory mobs get included into the mod.

I mean really, if playing the beta annoys you to much just play minecraft on some other mods and check back in a few months, because there are a lot of change and "progress" going on, id hate to see progress take a back seat just to be sure that each and every build of the mod is playable on a level that everyone would demand.

or a new solution is to do what I proposed and change combat to consist of very quickly paced and heavily thought out stats based on armor and weapon materials, something not actually hard to do, especially if meta data is used in a new and unique way. Yes, number, solid numbers.

Look i'm not all that angry about the state of the mod, I was angry at whats-his-face coming in here like i'm simply being a crybaby. I'm just stating that until he actually DOES move the skellies/zombies/spideys off the surface, if he doesnt want to discourage people from trying his mod given that I've had 3 seeds since the release of 60 with VAST areas without trees, that there NEEDS to be a way to defend yourself until you can get the sticks to make weapon handles. The fist having a dmg of 1 with the current hp values is simply too low, its like saying steve has the arms of a poindexter but can still manage to carry 80 metric tons of dirt in his pockets. It simply doesnt make sense and makes for very frustrating gameplay when getting started. Sure once you've settled down it sorts itself out, but the point is to NOT scare away your potential users when they go to punch something and it doesn't even seem to care they exist other than as a food source.

unfortuantely the well thought out suggestions for combat have all been stomped (according to dunk's rough transcript of his conversation with bioxx) It just seems to me he's being extremely obstinate about this for no good reason. Its his mod and he can do what he wants with it, but I'd prefer he doesnt run it into the ground from pure stubbornness

Look, the whole point of some of the new updates was to make mobs harder, and Bioxx has stated that punching now only does 1 damage, that's on purpose. Ditto, however blunt he was, isn't wrong; you just need to either find some trees by heading to colder climates (+- on the z axis) because trees don't spawn near the equator currently (not sure if that's intentional or not) and It sounds like you are near the equator. Your second option is to start a new map, that has trees, then find a sheep, make a bed, and go to sleep at night. It's not as big a problem as you're making it, as even javelins and stone knives are perfectly fine tools to kill all the monsters you encounter. So try a few more options before you bring it to the forums, we have enough threads in suggestions that aren't real suggestions, someone who isn't new here like you should know that.

Look, the whole point of some of the new updates was to make mobs harder, and Bioxx has stated that punching now only does 1 damage, that's on purpose. Ditto, however blunt he was, isn't wrong; you just need to either find some trees by heading to colder climates (+- on the z axis) because trees don't spawn near the equator currently (not sure if that's intentional or not) and It sounds like you are near the equator. Your second option is to start a new map, that has trees, then find a sheep, make a bed, and go to sleep at night. It's not as big a problem as you're making it, as even javelins and stone knives are perfectly fine tools to kill all the monsters you encounter. So try a few more options before you bring it to the forums, we have enough threads in suggestions that aren't real suggestions, someone who isn't new here like you should know that.

you're still missing the point, I'm not here just to bellyache about it, I'm pointing out a problem that could cause newbies at this mod to just drop it flat out and never come back. It is fixable by providing something, ANYTHING, that serves as a halfway viable weapon prior to obtaining some sticks, because fists with a damage of 1 simply don't cut it, OR, by having more trees near the equator. Simple as that, I described the experience for the sake of explaining why it might drive someone away from the mod, and YES I WAS annoyed by it, but that doesnt make my point any less worthy.

I clearly like the mod or I wouldn't be in here trying to improve something that I think needs work.

Honestly, if you think that telling someone to delete a map and try a new seed really is a solution, then you're treating this like it belongs in the support forums, that wasn't the intent of my post at all. The intent is to suggest a change that prevents the NEED (or at least expediency) of switching seeds because of this sort of issue.

Ehh i think this makes the game more realistic and tough :) if you think its hard lol well you played too much vanilla MC XD

Ehh i think this makes the game more realistic and tough :) if you think its hard lol well you played too much vanilla MC XD

I didnt say make the fist OP, but you're not going to survive hitting a mob 1000 times because another one will come up behind you before you can kill it. Also, you're not able to build a shelter with dirt since you have no tools to make supports, and the dirt just falls, nor can you dig into a stone wall.

It just needs a slight damage boost or an acceptable no-stick-required replacement so that you actually have a chance in combat, even if its a slim one.

you're still missing the point, I'm not here just to bellyache about it, I'm pointing out a problem that could cause newbies at this mod to just drop it flat out and never come back. It is fixable by providing something, ANYTHING, that serves as a halfway viable weapon prior to obtaining some sticks, because fists with a damage of 1 simply don't cut it, OR, by having more trees near the equator. Simple as that, I described the experience for the sake of explaining why it might drive someone away from the mod, and YES I WAS annoyed by it, but that doesnt make my point any less worthy.

I clearly like the mod or I wouldn't be in here trying to improve something that I think needs work.

Honestly, if you think that telling someone to delete a map and try a new seed really is a solution, then you're treating this like it belongs in the support forums, that wasn't the intent of my post at all. The intent is to suggest a change that prevents the NEED (or at least expediency) of switching seeds because of this sort of issue.

Since when has this mod catered to new players? There are so many other little things like this that could turn a new player off it isn't even funny, but if we change every single one of those we will be right back at vanilla minecraft. Most new players that get turned off are turned off by the metal working system, or the fact that they can't mine right away, or that they can only make torches two at a time and need an axe to cut down a tree. The simple fact is, TFC isn't for everyone, we can't change that without losing what makes TFC, well, TFC. So, yes, being able to throw rocks is something I like, but as for the other two suggestions in that thread, which I also support, the sad truth is that they need sticks/wood, and there isn't wood without sticks first. Thing is, sticks are a basic and integral part of TFC, so if you don't have some tree's near you, you have to go find some, even if that means walking for a while.

I do understand where you are coming from here, I just can't think of a viable weapon the doesn't require a stick/wood to be even somewhat effective. Because throwing rocks is only going to be useful at range, not for killing that zombie about to make your face its midnight snack.

Thing is, sticks are a basic and integral part of TFC, so if you don't have some tree's near you, you have to go find some, even if that means walking for a while.

fine then, make trees sparse at the equator but not completely absent, one or the other, the way it is now makes it extremely frustrating if you spawn there repeatedly (something other than kapok, because that goes and doesnt come back)

or make the fists damage enough that with some dodging and footwork you can actually kill something if it get too close. the way it stands now requires several hundred hits, you'll be ambushed by several mobs and dead before that happens.

fine then, make trees sparse at the equator but not completely absent, one or the other, the way it is now makes it extremely frustrating if you spawn there repeatedly (something other than kapok, because that goes and doesnt come back)

or make the fists damage enough that with some dodging and footwork you can actually kill something if it get too close. the way it stands now requires several hundred hits, you'll be ambushed by several mobs and dead before that happens.

... the equator being devoid of trees is not an intended feature. It's a bug. Then, it will, regardless of your opinion, be fixed sooner or later.

Funny fact, it in fact requires a thousand hits to kill a zombie.

Funny fact about the previous one, i found out the hard way.