Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Wicc3R1

Timed crafting

25 posts in this topic

Right now you chop log to planks in a click, IRL you take MUCH longer. I mean would it be cool to have crafting take up time? Right now there is many that really take that time like cooking molds, smelting ores, working them to ingots and tools. other grafting is just too fast insake to other stuff.

Maybe just few seconds to minute max. And i would like to be able to saw down trees, they dont neet to be chopped down always :)

Rather than a boring timer I could live with some type of "mini-game" or actual crafting (like actually chopping wood in half and stuff) but sitting there twittling are thumbs doesn't make any sense and would be plain annoying.

Agreed, the way cooking and metallurgy works is brilliant, if we could also add an element of increased gains like when crafting tools and armor to careful wood crafting I would be quite pleased.

Would also encourage building safer dwellings for those late nights of crafting. Maybe a few different ones depending on the type of task at hand. Some randomness could be tossed in to the targets (I'm thinking of interfaces similar to anvils) so that you don't have to end up memorising the correct sequences, but have to actually get better at adjusting for small changes.

A Warioware-style woodchopping minigame would be amazing! Even something like the smithing interface but for woodchopping would be good.

I suggest a new type of workbench that works in a similar way to the anvil. The carpenter's workbench. You need an axe to make basic planks and a saw to make more planks and all the other types of wood products. But in the anvil if you mistake, you can remelt the ingot and restart, instead, in the carpenter's workbench you need other wood. Another product that this workbench can make (like the firepit that makes ash) is the sawdust that can be used to start the firepit and the forge better than the paper.

Maybe an anvil like Gui for carpenter bench. Put log in and use it same way that anvil, if not perfect, less planks :) Also getting sticks sameway would be nice. Probably even make handles from sticks like that another suggestion? Now when you slighty "miss" in anvil the heads durability lowers, so maybe something similar to handles too. Combining less durability handle on high quality head might take some durability off from finished tool?

Wasn't there going to be a construction update? IMO making planks should be left the way it is now, but making wooden blocks (from planks) should require nails. And nails should be forged. Not every metal should be suitable for nails. Or maybe it should, but there should be a difference between metals.

I am wondering where Bioxx is going with the new "walls". No idea what that is going to be like. I hope it is the beginning of a series of construction updates.

Wasn't there going to be a construction update?

Who said that? I thought it was another update.

But how do you make carpenter station in the first place? And if anything, axe is not the tool you using for carpentry - saw and jack-plane are. So, no planks untill you get your first metal tools or what?

Who said that? I thought it was another update.

I'm not sure what you mean. I thought Bioxx or dunk or whoever had planned to do something about construction, making it more believable.

I'm not sure what you mean. I thought Bioxx or dunk or whoever had planned to do something about construction, making it more believable.

I think so, nut I never heard about a construction update. Maybe it was the kingdoms update.

But how do you make carpenter station in the first place? And if anything, axe is not the tool you using for carpentry - saw and jack-plane are. So, no planks untill you get your first metal tools or what?

You need an axe to make the basic planks, then you use some nails with an hammer and you have your station. Or if you don't like this, use a stone, like the anvil.

I kinda like it the way it is now since everything else takes ages its nice to have certain items be easy to make

I kinda like it the way it is now since everything else takes ages its nice to have certain items be easy to make

But to make this mod believable you need to compromise some things.

yes but then again to make it believable youd have to change dirt blocks in to dirt piles and i dunno you put dirt in your pockets when digging up a garden ?

yes but then again to make it believable youd have to change dirt blocks in to dirt piles and i dunno you put dirt in your pockets when digging up a garden ?

Not realistic, but believable. It's minecraft, a squared world. Not realistic, but believable. Piles of dirt is realistic.

You need an axe to make the basic planks, then you use some nails with an hammer and you have your station. Or if you don't like this, use a stone, like the anvil.

We don't know about nails yet. And stone is not perfect for making planks because it will be the main reason you will damage your tool.

You actually cracking logs on bigger logs with the axe. You don't do it on the table because this table wears out extremely fast this way. To use saw properly with the table you need to attach vise-grip to it.

You actually cracking logs on bigger logs with the axe.

Problem solved then.

Problem solved then.

Not really. Log doesn't count for carpenter bench and you cannot work with saws on it, which means two separate solutions.

Not really. Log doesn't count for carpenter bench and you cannot work with saws on it, which means two separate solutions.

It's a raw carpenter bench. You can make only planks on it. With planks you can make the normal crafting table. With it you can make the carpenter bench.

Maybe right click on placed log with axe, logging stump? Works sameway to anvil. Later to gat craftin/carpenter bench to craft more indeph things.

I... think most people here are over complicating this. Just make crafting things take some seconds depending on the size and weight of the materials and result and that's it, we don't need to make 2 new blocks just for this.

But to make this mod believable you need to compromise some things.

... *twitch* no... no... no...

no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no

You got it wrong. Very wrong. We don't sacrifice gameplayability for believability. NEVER. We sacrifice realism for gameplay. That's what believability means here; that's why "realism" is a dirty word in the suggestion section. You don't EVER make the player experience worse just because it's more "believable"; used in this way, believable ends up meaning the same as realism. The player experience is what matters.

I... think most people here are over complicating this. Just make crafting things take some seconds depending on the size and weight of the materials and result and that's it, we don't need to make 2 new blocks just for this.

But this isn't something I can call good. Because this adds more time when you more of "waiting something instead of doing things" than you might think. There are times when we craft items in stacks and if it will take even a single second we already sitting here for about half a minute doing nothing. And that's when I could've... I dunno, circling around my chicken pen.

I think, at the end of the day it's a game, and things just taking time would be boring, the best parts of TFC are working metals, in my opinion, something that in vanilla was literally, pop in stove, put in place, use, this isn't better because it takes longer, but because it's deeper, and more interactive, which really, should be the key in any game, if you're looking at a feature that requires your character, and the player, to just sit around for a while it may as well just not be there.

this isn't better because it takes longer, but because it's deeper, and more interactive

This guy said all!