Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fanz

Ores not showing up... Anywhere

19 posts in this topic

Me and my friend were playing on a b60 server, and we had pans and sluices set up, running all time, and we have run around in a large 500*1000 area, breaking rocks for ores, and i was able to find 2. Is this a bug, or am i just unlucky?

EDIT: I have gone into creative with a redsteel prospectors pick, and shoveled around underground prospecting, i find trace of things, when i break said trace, it doesnt drop anything at all, is this a bug with the configs?

Me and my friend were playing on a b60 server, and we had pans and sluices set up, running all time, and we have run around in a large 500*1000 area, breaking rocks for ores, and i was able to find 2. Is this a bug, or am i just unlucky?

EDIT: I have gone into creative with a redsteel prospectors pick, and shoveled around underground prospecting, i find trace of things, when i break said trace, it doesnt drop anything at all, is this a bug with the configs?

First, you were unlucky, second, probably you need to delete the configs.

And...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Which configs exactly, ive deleted everything except the base mod files, aka .zips and minecraft files, and it started up well, but ore is still extremely scarce, but i think thats my luck. do you need to delete the forge configs too?

Which configs exactly, ive deleted everything except the base mod files, aka .zips and minecraft files, and it started up well, but ore is still extremely scarce, but i think thats my luck. do you need to delete the forge configs too?

No, forge config has nothing to do.

Try updating, maybe the problem will be resolved.

i updated about an hour ago, still doing rigourous testing for ores, (15+ batteries of sluices, diging straight down and hitting walls with prosp. pick, when finding something digging until i find something, or nothing. etc) and am still getting very minimal ore.

i updated about an hour ago, still doing rigourous testing for ores, (15+ batteries of sluices, diging straight down and hitting walls with prosp. pick, when finding something digging until i find something, or nothing. etc) and am still getting very minimal ore.

This is just unlucky. Sometimes it's normal. In this case if you want more ores, try creating a new world.

its still not dropping ore, my prosp. pick tells me there is "Large traces" etc and i mine there, and it doesnt drop anything, not even the stone.

Apologies if I'm being non-descriptive, but I'm tired, its late, and debugging isn't my favorite thing in the world.

its still not dropping ore, my prosp. pick tells me there is "Large traces" etc and i mine there, and it doesnt drop anything, not even the stone.

I think it's your method actually. You might be unlucky too, but from what you're describing on how you are going about it, this is not a good way to find ore.

First, bear in mind that the prospector's pick does not tell you you've struck an ore, it only tells you how much is in the general vicinity (a pretty big volume... 25m radius or something). This means you need to triangulate based on what your pick is telling you to try to find the actual vein. You will know it when you hit it as most ores are quite visible in their stone (though there are a number of exceptions that can be harder to spot).

The pick is not hard to use, but you will have to figure out the method that works best for you. Also bear in mind that veins are not consistent shapes like they are in vanilla. They can arc about, be spread out in thin arms, clustered in a blob, or a narrow sheet. This will affect the types of messages your pick tells you based on how you're building your mining tunnels and taking samples.

Second, setting up a sluice does not guarantee you ore. If there is no ore in the vicinity, your sluices will do next to nothing. If you scavenge around the surface and find a bunch of surface ore clustered in an area, that's the kind of place you would want to sluice - but it's still a slow process and quite variable.

Sounds like you're not understanding and using the prospector pick properly. When you get a sample of ore, that doesn't mean there's ore in the block you tested. The ore blocks actually looks different, colored stripes in the rock, similar to clay. Trust me you'll know when you see it (except for zinc in bright colored rock which is sometimes hard to see). So you won't get ore by breaking the block you got a reading on. If you use the propick on actual ore, it will just say "you found X" instead of "you found a <size> sample of X".

What the prospector pick actually tells you is how much ore is in a 25x25x25 block cube centered on the block you're testing. Also, it gives false negatives, but never false positives. So it may say there's nothing when there's actually ore present, which is why you try several different blocks in each spot you're testing.

It's easiest to watch a video on how to use it, but the general idea is that once you find a hit, you pick a direction and go 12 blocks then test again. If the sample gets larger, you keep going, if the sample gets smaller you go in the other direction. Once you find both "edges" of the largest sample in each direction, you go to the middle of those points, and start checking in the perpendicular directions. Then you find that middle of those directions, and you go up or down until you find the ore. So first find the center N/S, then find the center E/W, then go up or down.

As for the sluices, it's best to build some as close as possible to where you got ore from a surface rock, otherwise you're not guaranteed ore if there's none within the range of the sluice (100 blocks I think). You'll need more than one slice to make it faster. I usually build 8 sluices and it still takes a while to get 2 stacks of small ore to build my first pickaxe and propick (using up 2 or 3 stacks of gravel).

Sounds like you're not understanding and using the prospector pick properly. *snip*

Normally I don't nitpick... but Vegas, did you just feel that I'd not written it in explicit enough detail and decided to say everything I had just said again? I'm not being bitchy, I'm just curious. My purpose for not being explicit was because most of the answers are already out there; a lot is on the forums (even recently), the wiki contains some, and the rest is part of the fun of the discovery with this mod.

Normally I don't nitpick... but Vegas, did you just feel that I'd not written it in explicit enough detail and decided to say everything I had just said again? I'm not being bitchy, I'm just curious. My purpose for not being explicit was because most of the answers are already out there; a lot is on the forums (even recently), the wiki contains some, and the rest is part of the fun of the discovery with this mod.

Sorry, I was really just trying to say two things. One, that you don't get ore from the block that gives you a sample, because it didn't seem like you clearly pointed that out (it's there, but wasn't plainly said). Two, I wanted to describe an actual method for using the pick. Then it turned into that whole long thing that repeated a lot of what you said, and I figured I would post it anyway since it couldn't hurt to have a second explanation.

Edit: Actually that first point was made pretty clearly too. So I guess I just wanted to describe the propick method.

I've never even seen real ore. :/ it just doesnt show up.

So first find the center N/S, then find the center E/W, then go up or down.

Actually, you don't have to find all 6 different points to triangulate to a 3-dimensional cube's center.

All you need is 4 points. One in each of the farthest corners, aka 4 of the corners of a cube. This will give you an exact location of the ore, even though some might argue it couldn't make a cube (though personally, I've made formulas that dicate how to render a cube with 2 farthest points on different planes.)

Anyways, you could still find the center with only 4 points.

EDIT: I mean the exact center. And also, I'm not saying your way (Vegas) is actually worse. Mine is a much more redundant way to do it.:P

EDIT: I mean the exact center. And also, I'm not saying your way (Vegas) is actually worse. Mine is a much more redundant way to do it. :P

Also doesn't deal with different vein shapes as well since that assuming uniformity. There are some very tricky veins out there!

On the subject of tricky veins, I seem to somehow missing very large sphalerite sample located at about 80 height, which means it should be somewhere nearby of a thousand blocks. I've already found lignite vein in search for it. I'm not complaining or anything, it's just that I am little bit surprised how the hell I managed to do this.

On the subject of tricky veins,

I had something similar with Sphalerite back in 52e. The vein spidered all over the place and I couldn't find it anywhere. Turned out it was a combination of bad luck and near-invisibility (I think it was in limestone? -something yellowish white). It was a huge vein though.... hundreds of blocks and never more than a couple wide at any point.

I had something similar with Sphalerite back in 52e. The vein spidered all over the place and I couldn't find it anywhere. Turned out it was a combination of bad luck and near-invisibility (I think it was in limestone? -something yellowish white). It was a huge vein though.... hundreds of blocks and never more than a couple wide at any point.

So sphalerite can spawn in string-shaped veins then. This makes it easier to understand how am I missing it, as well as a huge pain to mine. Oh well.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0