Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capt_slowpoke

Fishing

55 posts in this topic

Vanilla minecraft's fishing leaves much to be desired, this is a general brainstorming thread for overhauling fishing somewhat. I've got a bunch of ideas already and need somewhere to organize them.

Let me preface this by saying I have no idea how to code or if any of this is actually feasable to do in a mod. I can and am willing to do any graphics though. The ones I've done here are for a theoretical 32px texture pack (or my current one for vanilla items) for easier viewing in the thread.

Base mechanic

The base fishing mechanic is fine, I think, but could use a few additions. I'd suggest making a few changes to the preparation. if there's going to be different types of fish, it would probably be easiest to process them in the crafting slot with your knife and just have each one yield varying amounts of filets depending on the type. Certain rare fish could also yield other materials that we can't get normally, like nether warts or glowstone dust. Baiting the line would be done in the crafting grid as well.

Bait

I'm thinking of a few different bait types which are combined with the fishing rod in the crafting grid before casting a line. Right now I have six of them, but this could potentially be expanded on, again, depending on how complex we wanted to get.

Posted Image Worm: Gotten as a random drop from breaking dirt blocks, like gemstones from rocks, but probably not as common to make up for the vastly larger number of dirt blocks the average player ends up breaking.

Posted Image Bug: Alternate drop from tall grass

Posted Image Minnow: Randomly gotten when filling a bottle from a water source. Place it in the crafting grid to separate it from the bottle

Posted Image Frog: Randomly drops when breaking a lily pad, should probably be fairly common to make up for the usually limited amount of lily pads, or possibly just make them come from player placed ones as well, maybe with a cooldown of a day or so from placing it if that's possible to keep people from doing the place/break block thing to farm them like people would do with gravel to get flints.

Rotten Flesh: Keep as is, this would give it a use

Spider Eye: Keep as is, it's currently a useless mob drop in TFcraft unless you want to poison yourself.

At the very least, different locations should yield different fish. We have a host of replacements for the generic stone in vanilla, a few different types of fish in each biome would be a good start. This could potentially be further expanded by checking water depth, and light level, for instance, if we wanted to get more complex with it. Depth and light level would mean you'd cast out into deeper areas to catch certain fish, or wait till night. This would probably be a lot more work to implement though, and would need more types of fish to make it worthwhile. This would also implement more of a skill element into it, where you'd have to land your line in a good spot to catch anything.

Fish types

We would of course need varying fish to make using any of this stuff have a point. Certain fish would be more common than others, so the majority of what you'd be catching would just process into one or two filets, giving a return pretty close to how it is now food-wise. The payoff would be catching a fish that yields four or five filets with the right bait in the right place, or possibly something that is normally annoying or currently impossible to get otherwise. Here's an example chart I've made:

Posted Image

Ocean fish:

Flatfish- Common. Takes any bait type, Yeilds one filet

Ammonite - Uncommon. takes frog, minnow or spider eye, yields a filet and an ink sac

Helmetfish - Rare. takes worm, bug, or rotten flesh, yeilds three filets

Hagfish - Rare. takes worm, rotten flesh. yields one filet and a slime ball

Tuna - rare. takes minnow, yields five filets

River fish:

Catfish - common. takes any bait. Yeilds one filet

Gar - Uncommon, takes frog, minnow, bug. Yeilds three filets

Carp - uncommon, takes worm, frog, bug, rotten flesh, yeilds two filets (and maybe a gold nugget)

Lungfish - rare, takes worm, minnow. yields four filets

Swamp Fish:

Catfish - same as above

Knifefish - common, takes worm, bug. Yeilds two filets

Lungfish - same as above

Electric ray - rare. Takes frog, minnow. Yields one filet and a redstone dust

Infected fish - rare. takes spider eye, yeilds nether warts

Cave fish:

These would maybe need to be given a depth limit or something to make it count as underground, as caves and underground rivers aren't their own biome type.

Cave fish - uncommon. takes any bait, yeilds two filets

glow worm - uncommon. takes bug, yields glowstone dust

Deep Angler - rare, takes spider eye, yields blaze rod

I think this would make for a robust system that can easily be made more or less complex depending on how we would want it to go, more suggestions are welcome, especially from anybody who knows what they're talking about coding wise (not me). Doing the fleshing out and graphics for something like this takes a lot of the work off of the mod author if I can present it in an already balanced and fleshed out format, and hopefully increases the chance of something being implemented.

other then saying 'add more fish' I cant say anything against this.

well, that and rods. Ocean fishing vs lake fishing. different rods, different strengths.

Mein Gott... Dies muss hinzugefügt werden! fishies!

I agree good idea, however Sexy Creeper rather than make useless supporting posts like we both just did we probably should have hit the like button.

Ich stimme gute Idee, aber Sexy Creeper anstatt zu nutzlosen Stützpfosten wie wir beide nur haben wir wahrscheinlich sollte die Schaltfläche getroffen haben. (Hoffentlich können Sie lesen meine Übersetzung)

Edit:Nice textures also slow poke

maybe add a fishing meter i know runecraftory mod added something like this where you would have to wait for a fish to bite (it also added fish to all bodys of water) after the fish had hoocked you would need to tighten and release the line to avoid the line to break or the fish to unhoock it self

might be to much effort to add but it was also fun in that particular mod

When i first heard that mojang where going to add fishing rods, i imagined it would go down like the fishing in Zelda, ocarina of time where you have to rapidly smash buttons to reel in the fish. it doesn't have to go down like that but i'd like to see fishing a little more challenging. plopping up fish as it currently is is highly unsatisfying to me. i also imagine that these different kinds of fish with various sizes have different difficulty to be caught. the reward being higher food yield or the right to brag about catching a big fucking fish!

Also nets! i want nets.

i want it to catch actual fish mobs rather than twitch and generate an item from nothing, but I recall this idea not being well recieved in the past.

Fishing has already been worked out and is now queued for development

Fishing has already been worked out and is now queued for development

These posts make me happy! Especially from dunk...

Would be cool to have a "These items are already set for development so don't suggest them" thread. But, on the other hand we wouldn't want a bunch of you promised this where is it posts.

Fishing should involve unique fishing rods, fish (as mobs, ie if you don't see the fish swimming around, you can't catch them, no fishing in bodies of water that you create. Fish should only really spawn in on chunk gen, but should reproduce slowly in wild)

Fish should flee from players, but I guess spear fishing should be possible.

I am so stoked for this, but common sense tells me that "queued for development" has this feature fairly far back in the queue.

I am so stoked for this, but common sense tells me that "queued for development" has this feature fairly far back in the queue.

well, Bioxx wants me to redo the whole entity animal class as an interface (if you don't know what that means ignore it), which supersedes the other things I was working on. Doing that should allow me to get rid off the old buggy code and smooth animals out altogether. After that I'l either continue to update vanilla mobs with new models and animations, redo the vanilla monsters with new models or animations or start work on some TFC animals, which include birds, fish and the elephant that was revealed a few weeks ago.

well, Bioxx wants me to redo the whole entity animal class as an interface

Does this mean that you made a lot of work for nothing?

Sweet, glad to hear it. Let me know in IRC or PM if you want any graphics.

well, Bioxx wants me to redo the whole entity animal class as an interface...

I find it difficult to express my appreciation for the detail in this response.

Sweet, glad to hear it. Let me know in IRC or PM if you want any graphics.

you know what, since I haven't heard from rogue in like a month, I'm probably going to need you quite a bit, but I would prefer if you could stick with the graphic style of the original TFC, ie rogue's or breathe's.

woohoo, I'm excited. As a mechanic to add, how about after a minute or so of having the bobber in the water, fish that accept that type of bait will start to become visible, frequency depending on how "rare" the given fish is.

Fishing should involve unique fishing rods, fish (as mobs, ie if you don't see the fish swimming around, you can't catch them, no fishing in bodies of water that you create. Fish should only really spawn in on chunk gen, but should reproduce slowly in wild)

Fish should flee from players, but I guess spear fishing should be possible.

we should be able to take fish that we've caught and place them into unpopulated bodies of water. Maybe use a system similar to "cooling" metal in the inventory for the fish if they become an item when caught for their suffocation timer. If they stay a mob and have to be killed the same way as cows/pigs/chickens, then we need some way to hold/transport them without killing them to accomplish this.

I like the idea of this, but I'm not so keen on fish yielding redstone, nuggets, blaze rods and nether warts. Organic matter like slime and ink is fine to me, and glowing substance of some sorts can be there, as long as you can't make blocks out of it. Maybe you can make lamps, but the whole block that glows by itself and giving light brighter than torch? Don't think so.

Does this mean that you made a lot of work for nothing?

No, code can be copied in actual entity class if needed.

no, fish won't drop weird random items like that. That's silly.

Fish will drop fish steaks, (allows multiple food items from a single animal), and probably nothing else.

I do plan to add a way to move animals around, smaller animals by carrying them and larger by leading them with a rope. Fish will probably be able to be carried, but if they are, they would HAVE to remain in the hand of the player, not placed in the bag. I think how fishing will work is that catching the fish will yank it out of the water, and it will start to suffocate on land. The more it flops around, the faster it dies. On death it will drop fish steaks. If you click on the flopping fish, you will be able to pick it up and slow the suffocation timer. If the fish dies in your hands, the fish steaks will jump out in front of you. If you can manage to transport the fish to another body of water, I suppose you could start a fish farm. Having at least two same-specied fish in a body of water with certain other necessities (probably going to add aquatic vegetation of some sort, and fish may require specific "habitats" to lay eggs (ie they will scan the surounding blocks and check for specific things like pond weed or lily pads etc) If Bioxx makes a distinction between salt and fresh water, that will also be important. If not, I'll still find a way to make it so that you can't keep a tuna and a largemouth bass in the same water body (probably poorly though)

If I really get into this whole "fish" thing, I want you guys to make some aquariums on your servers and invite me to visit them, k?

(also, I like the idea of a pet goldfish. I'll run it past bioxx)

If I really get into this whole "fish" thing, I want you guys to make some aquariums on your servers and invite me to visit them, k?

Here is the deal: you get this you posted into the game, and i make an ocean-sized aquarium containing every single sea fish you add and their corresponding habitats (Obviously, with some help :P). And i could even make another gigantic aquarium just for all the river fishes. No separation though; and if they hunt each other, better. I want the fishes living exactly as they would in the natural world, except of course the fact that they are encased in glass so you can see what' going on easily.

I do plan to add a way to move animals around

I really like how you continuously plan things! You're a great developer. If I can be honest, I never see a dev talking so much to his community!

I really like how you continuously plan things! You're a great developer. If I can be honest, I never see a dev talking so much to his community!

Thats something I noticed before I joined TFC, the devs of other games all seemed so disconnected from the community, so I wanted to change that

Thats something I noticed before I joined TFC, the devs of other games all seemed so disconnected from the community, so I wanted to change that

True, you're a revolutionary dev. Maybe in a few years other modders, seeing your posts, will behave like you.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0