Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
capt_slowpoke

Fishing

55 posts in this topic

you know what, since I haven't heard from rogue in like a month, I'm probably going to need you quite a bit, but I would prefer if you could stick with the graphic style of the original TFC, ie rogue's or breathe's.

I can do that, I've already done a few for Bioxx and they match up pretty well.

I think this is the best thread to post it here. If we were to have an actual fish mob at some point, I suggest a way to catch this fish - in a way most cultures were doing it - using contraptions like this one.

Posted Image

This is a general idea for simplest fish-catching device known to man - for fish, exit out of this place is much smaller than entrance, not literally though. Fish is trapped and can be catched using many various ways.

I myself never saw contraptions this big, but I have seen plenty of smaller ones woven from twigs, that are used by northern aborigens.

Sorry about the huge photo - not sure how to resize these things. But this is a fishing wheel from above the arctic circle. You put it in the river and, in the proper season, fish swim up the river and get trapped. Each day the kids check it, take out the fish, and if you have enough good luck, enough fish for the whole family for a year - longer if you don't like the kids. Haha.Posted Image

Will fishing have any byproducts like fish oil?

This ties into the buchery idea; we could butcher to fish to obtain filet and get oil for lamps as a by product.

If we are going to have raw fish we could cook them or salt them or freeze dry them (using the cold wind in snow biomes to take the water out). Course that would need salt or drying racks...

no, fish won't drop weird random items like that. That's silly.

Fish will drop fish steaks, (allows multiple food items from a single animal), and probably nothing else.

I do plan to add a way to move animals around, smaller animals by carrying them and larger by leading them with a rope. Fish will probably be able to be carried, but if they are, they would HAVE to remain in the hand of the player, not placed in the bag. I think how fishing will work is that catching the fish will yank it out of the water, and it will start to suffocate on land. The more it flops around, the faster it dies. On death it will drop fish steaks. If you click on the flopping fish, you will be able to pick it up and slow the suffocation timer. If the fish dies in your hands, the fish steaks will jump out in front of you. If you can manage to transport the fish to another body of water, I suppose you could start a fish farm. Having at least two same-specied fish in a body of water with certain other necessities (probably going to add aquatic vegetation of some sort, and fish may require specific "habitats" to lay eggs (ie they will scan the surounding blocks and check for specific things like pond weed or lily pads etc) If Bioxx makes a distinction between salt and fresh water, that will also be important. If not, I'll still find a way to make it so that you can't keep a tuna and a largemouth bass in the same water body (probably poorly though)

If I really get into this whole "fish" thing, I want you guys to make some aquariums on your servers and invite me to visit them, k?

(also, I like the idea of a pet goldfish. I'll run it past bioxx)

Great , nice , epic :)

But mojang must be watching this forum if they have already added two very discused features in TFC :)

Conspiracy theory for the win !

We could use fish oil and cloth for flaming arows in the combat revamp , will the fish have predators that will kill them , as is expected to be the case for the pigs , cows etc. and what about fish nets , also the fishing rod could just draw the fist to land not kill it , then the fish could suffocate (squids) or be killed via player .

No its not it is hard to chew on and really a bad food source but i wonder why the fancy people and restorants "fancy" it so much?

No its not it is hard to chew on and really a bad food source but i wonder why the fancy people and restorants "fancy" it so much?

its not a bad food source at all, a lot of creatures spend time and energy hunting squid, including some whales.

Hard to chew.... then eat it raw... or dried... or just cut it in pieces before cooking.

If we are going to have raw fish we could cook them or salt them

Idea (i've suggested before):

fill a barrel of water with salt.

fill a barrel of salt water with raw fish

obtain salted fish that doesn't spoil nearly as fast.

That wouldn't be bad to add to all kinds of foods n' stuffs actually this ties in nicely whit the food spoilage .

Also will there be a way to empty a barel instead of braking it ? This fits whit the steam thread , the barles could be used as steam storage , like bateries , a way to cook food whit higly pressurized steam or use it for a trap . Hmmmm.....

So if there is bait where would we find it , worms : diging the ground up or what ?

hey, with the way the upcoming lasso's work, cant you use that code + fishing pole textures to combine it into a multi-purpose item that leads fish around?

also, as far as i am aware, there are several fishing methods: pole, spear, cage, hand, net and i'd hope it'd progress properly across these methods, allowing for different fish sizes to be caught as you progress in the game, which in turn allows for you to get fish oils, meat, and eventually fat, which could be used as a form of fuel

I really like the idea, but that is a lot of code to implant into TFC. I hope Bioxx takes the idea in consideration.

on the topic of food in general wouldn't it be cool if you could hang your meat on meat hooks on your ceiling to allow them to age. As well having different ways off cooking your meat (such as rare to well done).

I think this is the best thread to post it here. If we were to have an actual fish mob at some point, I suggest a way to catch this fish - in a way most cultures were doing it - using contraptions like this one.

Posted Image

This is a general idea for simplest fish-catching device known to man - for fish, exit out of this place is much smaller than entrance, not literally though. Fish is trapped and can be catched using many various ways.

I myself never saw contraptions this big, but I have seen plenty of smaller ones woven from twigs, that are used by northern aborigens.

I kinda like this. First of all as this is a traps that dont require human presence it should catch 0-2 fishes per day and with a "timer" so that you'd have to get them in time before they run off.

hm, a small additional Suggestion for the fishing issue: it should be possible to catch fishes alive, so you can put them in Barrels to store them alive for later, or in a new waterblock to create an Aquarium XD

The fishing net mod would be easier and more inline with TFC / primitive

Fish net is in no way a primitive device though. This already requires access to ropes, which is tech.

basic tactic of fishing, most basic as you can get: stand in a river, be patient, grab a fish with your bare hands.

level 1: spearing them

level 2: hook on string

level 3+ rods nets all of that

basic tactic of fishing, most basic as you can get: stand in a river, be patient, grab a fish with your bare hands.

level 1: spearing them

level 2: hook on string

level 3+ rods nets all of that

Hooks and strings are more technologically advanced means of fishing. Middling ground between harpoons and fishing nets are, actually, these.

Posted Image

Fishing rods most of the time require metal hooks or something that resembles it, like bent nail.

The most primitive fishing "hook" is actually a sharpened piece of carved bone.

The precursor of which was a short piece of a straight stick or bone sharpened on both ends tied to a plant fiber line so that when the fish bit, the line was tugged so the stick went sideways inside the fish spearing it on both ends to prevent spitting it out.

The most primitive fishing "hook" is actually a sharpened piece of carved bone.

The precursor of which was a short piece of a straight stick or bone sharpened on both ends tied to a plant fiber line so that when the fish bit, the line was tugged so the stick went sideways inside the fish spearing it on both ends to prevent spitting it out.

This I didn't know. Okay then.

I've been thinking on the topic of finite lightsource, but felt that there should be some sort of infinite lightsource(let's say they have the downside of not scaring bears unlike fire) and have been thinking around the idea of using a lumiscient material gatherable form minerals/bottom dwelling ocean fish(with lantern obviously/other sources.

I wouldn't mind some unrealistic creatures (How could I as I already sugested ore-filtering Giant desertworms) as long as they feel believable, add something to the game and aren#t as obnoxius as normal vanilla mobs and their spawning behaviour in TFC.

So I think some fish could really drop some weird things.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0