Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Prospector's Pick

52 posts in this topic

From what I know the prospector's pick once was 25x25x13 and people was complaining it was too hard so now it's 25x25x25. I'm not sure but now it's even more harder to look for ores, every time I get to find something there are other ores messing up because of it's HUGE range, and also if once I could stay on one layer and look for ores (I can dig 6 ores up and down with ease) now I need to do a lot of up down digging.

Since the prospector's pick is so wide ranged now maybe it will be good to make it more specific, maybe sense up to two ores at once, maybe have mods like for chisel.

Unless the point was to make it harder, I don't understand the change. Anyone?

I read this long ago (0.5+ year ago), so why did it changed in the end?

Prospector's pick is plenty accurate if you have any clue waht you're doing. Don't complain about it, it's not being changed.

Unless the point was to make it harder, I don't understand the change. Anyone?

This change was made to make the game harder and more believable, because the propick is not the best tool for scanning ores in real life.

Also if you want to change it, this topic will probably be closed because Bioxx made a topic, in the suggestion section I think, where he says that.

Prospector's pick is plenty accurate if you have any clue waht you're doing. Don't complain about it, it's not being changed.

Complain?

Yes I have a clue, don't worry..

This change was made to make the game harder and more believable, because the propick is not the best tool for scanning ores in real life.

Also if you want to change it, this topic will probably be closed because Bioxx made a topic, in the suggestion section I think, where he says that.

I was just wondering the change (I post it in Discussion on purpose). So that's explains it.

I have another question about the "mastery". When getting the output of the prospector's pick in an area with multiple ores, do I know what ore is in the output refers to ? (closest, biggest or random)

No such thing mentioned in the wiki, and unless the "mastery" refers to the admins I would like to know the secret of the prospector's pick output message, Thanks :)

I think It's random which ore in the range you get. Just based on my experience using it, no cite.

I was just wondering the change (I post it in Discussion on purpose). So that's explains it.

I have another question about the "mastery". When getting the output of the prospector's pick in an area with multiple ores, do I know what ore is in the output refers to ? (closest, biggest or random)

No such thing mentioned in the wiki, and unless the "mastery" refers to the admins I would like to know the secret of the prospector's pick output message, Thanks :)

Theoretically it's the biggest deposit.

Its random, as it should be.

If you have 2 veins in close proximity, you have to triangulate them indepedently. Take readings from each tunnel sprout in a cross pattern with 12 blocks in each direction. Since you have 2 veins, more readings are needed at each tunnel section so that you can identify both locations.

When you get consistent readings regarding size, go to the hypothetical center of the biggest vein and dig down 8 blocks. Repeat the process until you find it. Finding the other is just a matter of time, since you will begin work on mining the first one and the readings will get less confused as you deplete it. A good exercise is to trace via mining the exact dimensions of the vein you have discovered. You will find that by doing so the other vein is revealed too when they are in close proximity.

Practice makes perfect, no changes are warranted.

as far as I can tell, the pick scans the 25x25x25 area and counts all of the ore blocks. Which ever ore has more blocks is displayed to the user and the number of ore blocks found determines the size of the sample, so three small veins would read the same as one larger one. Theres also a random chance that any given block won't return a sample at all. The trick to prospecting is to find the spot where the reading changes. If you're getting a small sample on one block and a medium sample on the block that is +1 x from the first, the sample is somewhere in the +x direction from you. You can do similar tests for z and y, so it's actually not that hard to prospect.

I don't think it's too hard to use (though I've only ever done it twice). You can set yourself up for success by digging in an area you know will have ore close: I do this by marking every surface ore I get with a piece of cobble. If there are 3+ rock markers in a close vicinity, then I know where to start diggin'! From there it's just dig a few blocks, take some samples, repeat. Finding ore is actually one of more rewarding things I've encountered in the game so far.

Now if you just decided, "Oh I'm gonna dig into this random spot in the ground!" then yes, I can see this being a very hard thing to do.

as far as I can tell, the pick scans the 25x25x25 area and counts all of the ore blocks. Which ever ore has more blocks is displayed to the user and the number of ore blocks found determines the size of the sample, so three small veins would read the same as one larger one. Theres also a random chance that any given block won't return a sample at all. The trick to prospecting is to find the spot where the reading changes. If you're getting a small sample on one block and a medium sample on the block that is +1 x from the first, the sample is somewhere in the +x direction from you. You can do similar tests for z and y, so it's actually not that hard to prospect.

I don't know. I placed lots of copper (medium vein) and one silver, and half of the prospecting gives me silver, so it's probably random which ore it returns when there is more then one.

If it would actually return them by size it would actually be very easy.

I don't think it's too hard to use (though I've only ever done it twice). You can set yourself up for success by digging in an area you know will have ore close: I do this by marking every surface ore I get with a piece of cobble. If there are 3+ rock markers in a close vicinity, then I know where to start diggin'! From there it's just dig a few blocks, take some samples, repeat. Finding ore is actually one of more rewarding things I've encountered in the game so far.

Now if you just decided, "Oh I'm gonna dig into this random spot in the ground!" then yes, I can see this being a very hard thing to do.

Sure it's easy if you have only one vein, once you are in an area with 2+ ores the troubles are starting, for example an area with tiny vies of coal, you just can't find a empty space unless you dig a mile.

Sure it's easy if you have only one vein, once you are in an area with 2+ ores the troubles are starting, for example an area with tiny vies of coal, you just can't find a empty space unless you dig a mile.

I didn't mean to make it sound trivial to do or imply that you don't know how to do it. I'm sure it is hard when you are pointed in a bunch of directions to different veins. I'm just glad I haven't gotten there yet.

I didn't mean to make it sound trivial to do or imply that you don't know how to do it. I'm sure it is hard when you are pointed in a bunch of directions to different veins. I'm just glad I haven't gotten there yet.

Just a hint for the future, ores not always goes in one big vein so it's possible you are going between them, or if there are more then 2 ores they will conflict with each other in your search, now that I know that which ore is returned is random you have no way of telling weather you lost it or it's a conflict, by ignoring the ores you don't want (treating them as false negatives) you will will get a lot more then 50% false negative but 75+% of them (for 2 ores, for 3 is 83+%...).

If you are not really patient, give up once there are multiple ores ;)

Just a hint for the future, ores not always goes in one big vein so it's possible you are going between them, or if there are more then 2 ores they will conflict with each other in your search, now that I know that which ore is returned is random you have no way of telling weather you lost it or it's a conflict, by ignoring the ores you don't want (treating them as false negatives) you will will get a lot more then 50% false negative but 75+% of them (for 2 ores, for 3 is 83+%...).

I honestly don't think that would be a problem for me. I really enjoyed searching for ores; it was challenging and made you actually think where you were mining instead of just plowing ahead. As long as you follow the readings you're going to get there eventually.

You know, when we still had vanilla sand, there was a way to find both ores at once -or at least one of them- if you had found redstone already.

1) Make a ton of TNT.

2) Place the TNT in the mine, in the area with 2 ore readings.

3) Place a line of redstone from one of the TNT's to as far as you can go (there is no repeaters, so that's 15 blocks away.

4) Take your redstone torch, AND BLOW THE SHIT OUT OF THAT PLACE. (Remember to run for your life... or, if you wanna see the explosion, to carry nothing at all)

5) Go back to the crater and see what the explosion revealed.

I did it once, when i was about to update TFC, as it was a world breaking update, and i found a native gold/limonite zone (a limit zone between two rock capes). The explosion revealed both the native gold and the limonite vein, and i was there, looking from outside the crater, admiring my great prospector abilities :P

What a shame we can't make TNT now... :(

What a shame we can't make TNT now... :(

I think that we need a replacement for the TNT. Something less environment-damaging and more believable than a block that becomes a ìn entity if hit. Maybe an item that you can throw, or a placeable item that isn't a full block, but a 1/6 block that can be only placed in the walls or thrown.

I think that we need a replacement for the TNT. Something less environment-damaging and more believable than a block that becomes a ìn entity if hit. Maybe an item that you can throw, or a placeable item that isn't a full block, but a 1/6 block that can be only placed in the walls or thrown.

If minecraft lighting wasn't stupid we could get that chisel mechanic. That could be expanded on to include a crude form of drill.

We could drill holes into stone and put an explosive into it.

If minecraft lighting wasn't stupid we could get that chisel mechanic. That could be expanded on to include a crude form of drill.

We could drill holes into stone and put an explosive into it.

I have an ideaaaaaa. We can set the size of the TNT with the chisel (or something similar). The smaller the TNT, the little the explosion.

1/6 block that can be only placed in the walls or thrown.

... Why i think of C4 when i read this?

EDIT:

I have an ideaaaaaa. We can set the size of the TNT with the chisel (or something similar). The smaller the TNT, the little the explosion.

... That sounds unconceivably hard to do :

... Why i think of C4 when i read this?

Maybe because it's similar to what I suggested. I was thinking at explosive charges, however and I got this idea of placing them in the wall. Yes, a bit like C4, but a mining C4.

I honestly don't think that would be a problem for me. I really enjoyed searching for ores; it was challenging and made you actually think where you were mining instead of just plowing ahead. As long as you follow the readings you're going to get there eventually.

Of course, once you get a reading dig 25x25x25 and you found it.

The point is digging the less as possible, even with one ore that is mode out of many small veins I dug a lot before finding it all.

C4 will only appear in TFC if Bioxx and dunk decides to add black powder in it. That and muskets. We need muskets.

C4 will only appear in TFC if Bioxx and dunk decides to add black powder in it. That and muskets. We need muskets.

Bioxx says guns of any kind are out.

Bioxx says guns of any kind are out.

What about these guns???

What about these guns???

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODhdP_dBrHE

Well, fists do a horribly low amount of damage in TFC, so yeah... nope, not even those guns :