Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Dante80

[64x] [WIP][B69] Albion Texture Pack v3.02...C:

217 posts in this topic

You done goofed

trollface.jpg

I like it. I do have a couple complaints though.

Doors and ladders look really flat.

The decorative stone blocks (along the walls in picture 3) look good, but as they get further away they start to look too busy.

Thanks for the feedback man,,,C:

Regarding stairs and doors, they do look a little flat indeed. The main reason for that was that I had developed bump maps for them to use in an old mod for MC, giving those items both depth and texture. I think that a little shape shading is in order to make them look more presentable, I will look into it. Have also in mind that the door texture is one of many that will be used (almost each wood type will have a separate door texture), the others do look a little more 3d I think.

Regarding the smooth basalt stone tiles, its sadly the nature of the pack. I want to provide a decorative look for most non physical blocks, and the resolution in conjunction with MCs poor in effects graphic engine almost always makes anti-aliasing a problem.

The obvious solution is to use mipmapping to alleviate that, I think Optifine does wonders for bigger resolutions. Another procedure is to try and minimize grain and color bleeding issues via texture resizing and blur/contrast/high pass masks, but then it is impossible to have the amount and quality of detail I am shooting for.

A combination of both solutions though is warranted, most blocks will be reviewed many times and/or changed until I'm satisfied. C:

Quite impressive!

I really like your approach and 64x is a great number! hehe

Maybe look here, for ideas...

Very nice texture pack! I have downloaded it, and will be using it. I will give more feedback as I play with it more. +1 to you man.

Thanks for the kind words guys...^^

Quite impressive!

I really like your approach and 64x is a great number! hehe

Maybe look here, for ideas...

Great thread, thanks for providing the link! I started research into geology yesterday myself, mainly using wikipedia. The goal is to have completely dinstict rough stone (and derivaties) textures, each one based on the actual physical characteristics and look for the stone concerned. It will inevitably take a lot of time to produce something decent, but I think that a mere recoloring of a standard pattern will not suffice to emulate the vast variety this mod provides.

Some more work done on stones, here is a preview...

Posted Image

(from left to right. Basalt, Andesite, Siltstone, Conglomerate, Marble)

Very nice texture pack! I have downloaded it, and will be using it. I will give more feedback as I play with it more. +1 to you man.

Thanks! Have in mind that my 3 texture packs (Albion, Deuteros and Avaritia) have not updated since the beta times of MC, I have been on hiatus due to work for almost a year now. So you may find some textures missing...at least for the time being...XD

I really like the idea of distinct looks for each type of stone. If you make this, and hopefully have the vanilla textures with it as well, I think you will be one of the top texture packs I'd use :)

your the albion texture pack maker! man i love that one!

your the albion texture pack maker! man i love that one!

This

I really like the idea of distinct looks for each type of stone.

Not only that but to give it texture, isn't just colors that differ.

Blockheads is also great but this in 64x is way better!

BloodravenD, having the vanilla blocks is the easy part. This would be an addon to an already existing pack (you can find a link at the top of the page), so you can also use it either in conjuction with it, or with any TP you like best. ;)

Started some premilinary work on tree types. Here are some early WIP examples. Trying to emulate semi-realistic leaves is an exercise in frustration, but also a very fun process. Will definitely have to work more on them...

Posted Image

From left to right, Birch, Pine, Spruce, Sycamore, Willow, Oak

And some ingame...

<p>

Posted Image<br></p><p>Posted Image<br></p><p>Posted Image</p>

As always, any and every feedback is vastly appreciated. Cheers..^^

Not sure how I feel about those planks.

They are made to fit the packs theme, here is a preview for the standard ones...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0BuIc5vBaE

Posted ImagePosted Image

I have found the pattern rather enjoyable to build with these 2 years or so, but it is definitely an acquired taste... ;)

Indeed, my opinion nor anyone else's should lead you to compromise the style of the pack.

If I dislike one or two things in the pack I would still probably use it, and maybe learn to like them.

If there were a lot of things I didn't like I just wouldn't use the texture pack. You can't please everyone.

What I like of this texture pack is that logs are different, not recolored.

BloodravenD, having the vanilla blocks is the easy part. This would be an addon to an already existing pack (you can find a link at the top of the page), so you can also use it either in conjuction with it, or with any TP you like best. ;)

As always, any and every feedback is vastly appreciated. Cheers..^^

Yea I saw that link, but it said the texture pack isn't up to date. Are you continuing it as well?

The 'circles' on the wood planks are bugging me... For decoration they can be great, a line or two of them, but for a lodge or any house with only them... I don't know...

Thanks for the feedback guys...^^

Some more work done on trees, here is a preview...

Posted Image

Emulating bark is rather easy with fibre effects and some custom passes, but doing leaves and saplings is a nightmare. Some placeholders used for those, will have to work on them more. As always, any feedback-critisism is appreciated, cheers...C:

A quick question. I'm trying to put down the Gneis textures, and it is more difficult than I thought. Need some feedback.

After some research on metamorphic gneis formations I decided to go for a foliated rather than breccia pattern. Although making it border seamless is easy enough, I cannot lock down the distance shape shading for the life of me. The main problem is that the texture is busy enough as it is, so trying to alter the matrix for distance seaming will break color bleeding for the same distance...and by toning down the foliation will definitely destroy the emulation of the metamorphing compression.

Here is a pic of the latest RC, after an hour or so of hacking and slashing, tears, rage and tequila.

Posted Image

Disregard cobble, bricks and smooth, they may be altered. How does that look?

I think it looks great, although the foliated pattern would not appear on the top/bottom if they appear on the sides you can't really change that, unfortunately.

The smooth gneiss may look like smooth granite but banded or foliated, something like

Posted Image

I think the foliated planes should be a bit darker

This is a good example

Posted Image

Thanks for the feedback!...C:

You are right, I wish that all enviromental rock blocks were like the vanilla sandstone texture. Then we would be able to emulate cave ceilings, walls and floor patterns!

Regarding the gneis, thanks for the info. The main problem with trying to pronounce the layers (thats what I tried to do too originally, especially after seeing this) is a minecraftian one. Due to the way the graphics engine works, the more contrast you add to a block the more problems you encounter when distance tiling is concerned. In small resolutions like 16x or 32x, you can get away with it since the resolution does not allow for much detail to be put in each texture. As soon as you go for more though, this problem becomes a lot worse, ESPECIALLY if you are shooting for a detailed, semi - realistic look.

Let me explain more...

There are many ways to make a HD texture pack, from cell shading to hand drawing, and from picture manipulation to aggressive filtering and masking. It mainly depends on the theme you want to have, and the feeling you want to emulate ingame. To achieve a fantasy semi-realistic look like Albion has, you have to either draw the basic texture needed and apply a clusterf*ck of layers, filters, gradients and masks until you make it fit, or use a source texture and apply the same clusterf*ck of said processes until you whip it into shape and make it seamless. I do both, depending on the theme I try to emulate and the resources I have at my disposal (photoshop CS3, filterforge, genetica, repper pro) to achieve it.

The main issue though (and the hardest part to making a HD texture pack), is texture compatibility and consistency. When/if you rely on source textures for making a pack, you might be able to shape/hack 'n' slash them into exactly what you want, and still lack the overall pack consistency of theme to make the result presentable as a whole.

This is sadly where many artists that develop HD packs fail, and its both expected and inevitable unless you are willing to put many hours into each source texture, and know how to do it proficiently. I personally feel that I have a long way to go myself regarding this problem, but trying to become better is a fun and worthy exercise in itself. Especially when you test your own textures in your game projects to see how to make them better.

And that brings us to the biggest problem HD texture packs have in game. The bigger the area you have to work with, the more detail you can cram into a texture. The more detail you cram into a texture, the more bowel-shake inducing your gaming experience becomes due to the way the game's render engine handles textures. There are two ways to overcome this problem.

• You have to edit the textures you make so that they are compatible with the game engine. That means removing detail and contrast, upscaling the pattern you want to emulate, killing detail and shading/grain variance in your textures and...painstakingly testing all of the above until it either works or you run out of tequila. Striking a balance is both a fun and frustrating exercise, but one you have to go through if you want to induce less migraines to either you or the players that use your pack.
  • You ignore the problem altogether, bypassing it via hardware fixes. By using mip-mapping and AA (either via a MC mod like optifine, or by forcing it into the application) you don't really have to worry about blending or grain/moire issues. The game itself takes care of the problem, and in my view it should do that...from the start. The main problem though when/if you ride down that road is the simple fact that, what works for you may well not work for others.
So, sadly no mafic and felsic contours for me...T_T

I think I know what you mean.

I don't know much about that and I'm not good with colors, but I know a thing or two about geology so you get a like for the explanation and, if I could, another one for saying mafic and felsic.

You are right, I wish that all enviromental rock blocks were like the vanilla sandstone texture. Then we would be able to emulate cave ceilings, walls and floor patterns!

Using the CTM in MCPatcher or OptiFine, you could make that effect happen. When I was looking through the settings, I was mainly focused on the N/S/W/E sides of the blocks but there were some for the top/bottom, I just don't remember if they could be separated into two different textures or had to use the same.

Using the CTM in MCPatcher or OptiFine, you could make that effect happen. When I was looking through the settings, I was mainly focused on the N/S/W/E sides of the blocks but there were some for the top/bottom, I just don't remember if they could be separated into two different textures or had to use the same.

Thanks for the info, I will check on it...^^

Ok, some more rocks done, here is a rough preview for them.

Posted Image

Have in mind that some of the blocks are not set in stone (pun intended :P), more work is needed. Any feedback is welcome, cheers...C: