Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CreepyCreeps100

Grinding Stone Enhanced

18 posts in this topic

The Grinding Stone is a special animated block used to sharpen your stone/metal tools by trading the durability for how fast it mines.

It is made out of Igneous Intrusive rock and will decay use after use until the point you need to replace it with another one. Each type of rock you use to make it will specify its durability or its efficiency to work with more heavy

metallic tools, it is crafting using a whetstone which is created by putting a piece of solid stone in the anvil along with sandpaper in the hammer slot and pressing the new button called "Sand". The whetstone then needs to be thrown in a sluice box (to clean off the remaining bits from sanding it down) for 2 minutes and it will turn into refined whetstone which can now be used to make the tumbler wheel.

The wheel is ready to be powered by a hand cranked friction motor.

<To craft a friction motor you will need 20 leather strips taken from the tanning rack suggestion, 2 stone wheels made by sanding down refined whetstone in a anvil and a hand crank crafted with 2 stick on a piece of cobble in a crafting grid. The strips will be taken to wrap around the stone wheels and connecting them between each other hooking them up to the crank. Then the Grinding stone will be placed on the 2nd wheel and then you can now pull the hand crank multiple times (each crank will make the machine run for 5 seconds) while a tool is placed on the tumbler to then grind your tools.

<Sandpaper is created by smashing flint with a hammer into tiny flint bits, and these then will be combined with cotton fiber (which will come from a new plant) and paper by throwing them together on a single tile (20 bits, 4 paper, 10 fiber) and weighting them down with a piece of cobble for 1 minecraft day. The cobble block will the be removed and under it will be a block thick as snow (brownish color) that when broken will drop a total of 40 sandpaper sheets.

i like this. it reminds me of item crafting in skyrim. along with this thinking, it would be cool to see tanning racks and the like

i like this. it reminds me of item crafting in skyrim. along with this thinking, it would be cool to see tanning racks and the like

Yeah I was thinking the same thing haha. :P As for the Tanning Rack, that's an excellent idea that could be used for turning raw skin from mobs into useable leather pieces. Every animal should be able to be skinned for that matter, not just Cows.

Maybe skinning requires a knife, and gives you strips which you use to combine and make leather pieces. and the grinding stone can also use flint and leather too.

Hey guys, just a reminder that Bioxx has requested that you try and keep a thread to a single suggestion. I love the tanning/leather working and hope clothing becomes a part of the game more so (cause you shouldnt be wearing the same thing in a snow biome as a desert and be unaffected by it) but that should all go into its own thread.

As for the sharpening stone, I too have been pushing for making things last a more realistic manner through maintenance some how and this is right up there with that, so I like it.. Should be noted that for a sharpening stone all you need is a fine grained stone which I think igneous is.. but extrusive should also work.. as would granite if I remember correctly... Just dont use flint.. it sparks too much :D

I like the idea, seems like maintaining the tools is just an additional part of this mod, should probably be driven by physical labour, atleast the first one, maybe a rabbit in a cylindrical cage for auto-grinding ;P JK

At any rate, putting a bunch of cobble on a stick shouldnt give you a shovel or pick. You should need to grind the blocks and use blueprints.

At any rate, putting a bunch of cobble on a stick shouldnt give you a shovel or pick. You should need to grind the blocks and use blueprints.

I totally agree with you.

After all, cobble is just a collection of rocks and IRL you cant just stick 3 rocks on a stick to make a pick (hey that rimed!!)

I totally agree with you.

After all, cobble is just a collection of rocks and IRL you cant just stick 3 rocks on a stick to make a pick (hey that rimed!!)

I actually think that is the point.. It take that many piles of a cubic meter of cobbled stone in order to find he one you can turn into the tool you want :)

So maybe, how about this:

Crafting box - Flint tool and a pile of cobble (unshaped) => shaped stone. These shaped stones can be used to make your first stone tools (using a blueprint maybe?)

Or you could grind the stone down in the grindstone after this flint-flint tool nonsense.

Make a rock tumbler [the closest thing I can think of to a ball mill to polish things, and the grindstone cane be used to somewhat increase the durability of tools by sharpening their nubs, but ultimately the tool will become too insubstantial to sharpen [or everytime to sharpen the tool you get less durability back, in a sort of logistic curve based on the amount of durability left, and times resharpened]

Or you could grind the stone down in the grindstone after this flint-flint tool nonsense.

Make a rock tumbler [the closest thing I can think of to a ball mill to polish things, and the grindstone cane be used to somewhat increase the durability of tools by sharpening their nubs, but ultimately the tool will become too insubstantial to sharpen [or everytime to sharpen the tool you get less durability back, in a sort of logistic curve based on the amount of durability left, and times resharpened]

That actually makes sense...

Giving durability for efficiency

i really like the idea of the tumbler maybe to grind down/sharpen the tools and essentially make their durability less each time, cause stone atm doesnt last that long, but its for a purpose.

I'm a fan of the grinding stone 'repairs' the tool at the expense of max durability as well. After all, you are essentially having less material to the tool each time you grind some off.

Perhaps the grinding stone could be used for the harder-material tools, because if a stone tools goes dull you just sharpen it by breaking off a new cutting edge, not by grinding it. Perhaps this could also be paired with a portable sanding stone you could use when out mining?

instead of a mottor, how about you make it so that it takes up 2 block spaces, one that when you right click it opens a gui and allows you to put your tool into the grinding slot, and the secoond block that when you click it "grinds" the tool, but it should have limited uses, i mean a tool can only be grinded so many times before it becomes to small or thin to use. to do this biox could use one of those amazing status effects he does. like the temp for ingots and metals, every time you grind a tool it changes the condition up to a certain point, there should be about as many status levels as with the heating process so that you don't use up all the grinding statuses in one go, or it could be made so that you have to click the grinding stone until a special effect happens, he could make a new particle spark effect so that when you have clicked it enough it will send off sparks and the tool gains half its durability. this would allow there to be less status levels and therfore be easier on bioxx, also i like the portable grinding stones but i think that it should be made so that they are tricky to craft, maybe putting one of the types of stone in the anvil and working it into a whetstone, or using flint and stone together to craft a whet stone some how. at any rate the portable whet stone should not be useable to up the durrability by half with the grinding stone, at this point they will use up half a status level, easily implemented by adding those astreks that bioxx uses in the heating system, but it only heals 1/8 of the health, so if you have 5/8 and use a whet stone your tool is up to 6/8. you guys get the idea i hope, but that way it is way more effective to use the grinding stone but you still have a way to mantain weapons on the go. yes i write realy long descriptions because i feel like i have to explain everything thouroughly

i was just having this discusion with my freind a few nights ago, my idea is that you have to get a peice of stone by digging out all the blocks around it, which is already in the game im just adding this so you know what stone im talking about, then you use a flint tool, and either with a blueprint or by using shapped crafting, i.e. stone on top of flint tool= pick, stone under flint tool= shovel and so on, and then you craft it with a stick to get the tool

instead of a mottor, how about you make it so that it takes up 2 block spaces, one that when you right click it opens a gui and allows you to put your tool into the grinding slot, and the secoond block that when you click it "grinds" the tool, but it should have limited uses, i mean a tool can only be grinded so many times before it becomes to small or thin to use. to do this biox could use one of those amazing status effects he does. like the temp for ingots and metals, every time you grind a tool it changes the condition up to a certain point, there should be about as many status levels as with the heating process so that you don't use up all the grinding statuses in one go, or it could be made so that you have to click the grinding stone until a special effect happens, he could make a new particle spark effect so that when you have clicked it enough it will send off sparks and the tool gains half its durability. this would allow there to be less status levels and therfore be easier on bioxx, also i like the portable grinding stones but i think that it should be made so that they are tricky to craft, maybe putting one of the types of stone in the anvil and working it into a whetstone, or using flint and stone together to craft a whet stone some how. at any rate the portable whet stone should not be useable to up the durrability by half with the grinding stone, at this point they will use up half a status level, easily implemented by adding those astreks that bioxx uses in the heating system, but it only heals 1/8 of the health, so if you have 5/8 and use a whet stone your tool is up to 6/8. you guys get the idea i hope, but that way it is way more effective to use the grinding stone but you still have a way to mantain weapons on the go. yes i write realy long descriptions because i feel like i have to explain everything thouroughly

Thaks for pinting that out. But of course you do not know the types of motors that are available IRL.

A friction motor is what you have just talked about.. as in pulling a lever like a crank to get the tumbler moving and grinding your stuff.

And the durability for efficiency aspect has already been reviewed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0