Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
yubyub96

Forests,and how i think they should be

TFC and its forests   37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like TFC forests?

• yes
    • no
    • neutral
  2. 2. Do you like my suggestion?

• Yeah, it has to be implemented in TFC!
    • Yeah.
    • Mmmmm, i think it can be better.
    • No.
    • No, its horrible, leave forests as they are!
  3. 3. Do you think this suggestion can be improved?How?(leave a comment)

• yes
    • no
    • neutral

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

137 posts in this topic

Thought I'd stick this here for future referance.

Whoa thats a nice suggestion, i like it!

K, day one: See the blue like button? Yeah, instead of making useless posts that say 'I like it' and bumping a thread unnecessarily, press the blue like button. Makes the cave dwelle- I mean veterans of this forum less likely to smash your head open with a clu- I mean mace

K, day one: See the blue like button? Yeah, instead of making useless posts that say 'I like it' and bumping a thread unnecessarily, press the blue like button. Makes the cave dwelle- I mean veterans of this forum less likely to smash your head open with a clu- I mean mace

good boy ECC,

-pats on head-

I'm going to be changing things, don't worry.

umm yeah.. i like this post in soo many ways. ty dunk. this is one of the reasons why i love TFC. the devs actually exist!

Translating from how I envision Dunk:

I'M DUNK! STEP BACK! I GOT THIS! WIMMY-WAM-WAM-WOZZLE!

Or:

Don't you worry about forests, let me worry about blank.

I like! The only places in the world it feels foresty is under and around Sequoias and Kapoks, and even then, there is not enough going on to make it "Feel" like a forest. I think of Forests as Biomes within biomes. I know TFC has no biomes in the sense that Vanilla MC does, but just how I envision them..

The garden variety vegetation has been implemented into TFC, however down the road, forests both dense and dark would be an ideal place to find mosses, fungi, grubs, and shadow loving herbs like Nightshade (just an idea). It would give players just as much reason to delve into the dark recesses of a forest as it would to go spelunking into uncharted caves. Besides.. fireflies need a place to hang out... wink! :)

I like the idea of better forests. Always something to look forward to.

I like! The only places in the world it feels foresty is under and around Sequoias and Kapoks, and even then, there is not enough going on to make it "Feel" like a forest. I think of Forests as Biomes within biomes. I know TFC has no biomes in the sense that Vanilla MC does, but just how I envision them..

The garden variety vegetation has been implemented into TFC, however down the road, forests both dense and dark would be an ideal place to find mosses, fungi, grubs, and shadow loving herbs like Nightshade (just an idea). It would give players just as much reason to delve into the dark recesses of a forest as it would to go spelunking into uncharted caves. Besides.. fireflies need a place to hang out... wink! :)

I like the idea of better forests. Always something to look forward to.

what are bioxx's thoughts on forest ambience? You could help too

My talents of art and music are at the beck and call of the dev team. Anything I can do to help, of course.

Currently I use this mod http://www.coros.us/mods/tornadoes to get a little dose of ambience. I turn the tornadoes off in the configs as they tend to be the epitome of suck after working so hard on building something and they show up.

But the leaves blowing in the wind and gently falling from trees is a HUGE selling point for me.

It is little things like these that breathe life into surroundings. From fireflies, fluttering leaves, and the distant sound of a loon call from out on a lake, to the deadening silence of heavy snowfall where all you can hear is the crunch of the snow under your feet.... even the soft babbling of a brook as you pass by it. Ambiance.. even a little, can make a world of difference.

Would it be possible to add "Sound Pockets" to the world that spawn depending on their surroundings, and then go away should the surroundings change to no longer meet the requirements of that sound pocket?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/379925-142-matmos-r19-environmental-sound-atmosphere-simulator/

I want THAT in TFC. jsut with unique sounds and reworked to function at a greater level.

I used to use the mod, then some issue with compatibility came up when I fist started on TFC. I picked functionality over ascetics, and stuck with tfc.

http://www.minecraft...here-simulator/

I want THAT in TFC. jsut with unique sounds and reworked to function at a greater level.

I used to use the mod, then some issue with compatibility came up when I fist started on TFC. I picked functionality over ascetics, and stuck with tfc.

I like Matmos, though the elevation in TFC makes it so the high elevation wind constantly plays. While the ambient sounds are cool, it soon starts to become detached when you notice (for example) you are walking around in a barren ice-scape and hear birds chirping as though you are in a forest. Lol.

I think if the pockets of ambient sound could be added to the world somehow, depending on terrain (ie: brooks, sea sides, forests, grassland, cliff edges at height, etc...), then that much more tangibility to the surrounding natural world can be created. You can feed off of the world with your auditory senses as well as visual. Say for instance, you know there is a brook up ahead because you can hear it... or you know a forest's ambient evil/good by the amount of birds you can hear (just an example).

I have been having problems with the Coros weather mod as of late myself though.... so that will probably be getting cut ;)

well, I know that entities can call methods which play sounds locally, and I think theres a method for playing a sound file at an x,y,z location, that might help.

If only I knew how to code... O.o Work sucks! If only I could take a year off and learn how to code! Lol

If only I knew how to code... O.o Work sucks! If only I could take a year off and learn how to code! Lol

yeah but then I might be out of a job! (although Bioxx doesn't pay me...)

make an account on the wiki. I *think* I can op you, and then you can help me with giving other members editing rights. You're the only other dev who frequents these forums, so I'd like the help.

well, I know that entities can call methods which play sounds locally, and I think theres a method for playing a sound file at an x,y,z location, that might help.

you can extend those methods so that they call the ambient sound that you want from time to time, or with a given chance.

At World.java class

/**

* Plays a sound at the entity's position. Args: entity, sound, volume (relative to 1.0), and frequency (or pitch,

* also relative to 1.0).

*/

public void playSoundAtEntity(Entity par1Entity, String par2Str, float par3, float par4)

{

PlaySoundAtEntityEvent event = new PlaySoundAtEntityEvent(par1Entity, par2Str, par3, par4);

if (MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.post(event))

{

return;

}

par2Str = event.name;

if (par1Entity != null && par2Str != null)

{

Iterator var5 = this.worldAccesses.iterator();

while (var5.hasNext())

{

IWorldAccess var6 = (IWorldAccess)var5.next();

var6.playSound(par2Str, par1Entity.posX, par1Entity.posY - (double)par1Entity.yOffset, par1Entity.posZ, par3, par4);

}

}

}

This makes zombies moan, or whatever they do.

At SoundManager.java there is a whole bunch of options to make ambient music play, they would beneffit from a random parameter....

Having forest like this will be a serious addition to immersion !

For the sound, i use Matmos and MSI (Minecraft Sound Improvment), and i don't have the permanent wind for being in high altitude.

Coud be a great idea to implement that kind of sound in TFC...

I was thinking about this thread. One of the first things that impressed me in minecraft waas when you entered a taiga and it was snowing. For some reason those little particles amazed me.

It is possible to make particles fall from leaves block from time to time? I think it is. Of course not aways, but this would be amazing.

I do think it is feasible.

It is possible to make particles fall from leaves block from time to time?

Falling pollen in spring, falling green leaves in summer, falling brown, yellow and red leaves in autumn, falling dead leaves and branches in winter. This would be cool.

The classes for this are World.java (calls particles), EntityRender(renders particles for entities), EffectRenderer (guess what it does, you call it wo add an effect) and RenderGlobal... The last one I don't quite know how to work with, it has to do with "public EntityFX func_72726_b"

This could certainly work into what I have stated i plan to do with forests with leaf litter on the ground.

This could certainly work into what I have stated i plan to do with forests with leaf litter on the ground.

I know that this is not 100% sure, but this is what I want to read!!!

yeah but then I might be out of a job! (although Bioxx doesn't pay me...)

make an account on the wiki. I *think* I can op you, and then you can help me with giving other members editing rights. You're the only other dev who frequents these forums, so I'd like the help.

Hey Dunk I tried to PM ya but it says you can not receive any new messages... and then in small print it said it was because I hadn't achieve cool factor 9.... whatever that means! :P

I set up a wiki account so drop me a line.

Having forest like this will be a serious addition to immersion !

For the sound, i use Matmos and MSI (Minecraft Sound Improvment), and i don't have the permanent wind for being in high altitude.

Coud be a great idea to implement that kind of sound in TFC...

How do you get rid of that altitude wind noise effect for matmos? Im getting sort of tired of having a howling wind in my ear because TFC worlds ground level is what matmos considers halfway to space.

Dunk is not that cool?

Not what I said. I'm not that cool. Lol

Oh, right... you still have to level up here hehe