Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
halfmaster1

[Clarified] Gardening

40 posts in this topic

I really don't care if what I put is added, I just want gardening. I want to run around, find flowers, and put them in my yard. The red and yellow are barely any variety, and don't really fit the theme of TFC.

This spoiler is simply an example of how this could work. Not how I want it to be exactly, nor specific things i want added to the game.

Flowers:

Dandelion:

-Found very commonly in the wild

-Yellow in the summer, turns white in the fall, then dies. Naturally regrows in the spring.

-When yellow, punching it drops one dandelion head. If you punch it twice, it gets destroyed.

-Dandelion heads can be crafted into 2 yellow dye

-When white, it drops 4-6 Dandelion seeds.

-Dandelions can grow in any kind of soil, just right click with the seed.

-No watering needed.

Rose:

-Red in the summer, grows in the spring, none in the winter.

-Found rather rarely in the wild

-When red, punching it drops rose petal. It can be punch about 3 times before being destroyed.

-Rose petals can be crafted into red dye.

-When destroyed in early fall, it drops 2-3 rose seeds.

-Roses can grow in most kinds of soil.

-Needs watering every once in a while.

Violet:

-Purple, turns brown in the fall, then dies.

-Rare in the wild.

-When purple, punching it gives 1 violet petal, but kills it.

-Violet petals can be crafted into 1 purple dye.

-When brown, punching it give 2 seeds.

-Needs fertilized soil, unless wild.

-Needs to be watered often.

Orchid:

-Can be many colors, cyan, pink, lime. Very rarely black.

-Grows naturally in warm wet areas, such as rain-forests.

-Short growing season, starts growing in early summer, dies before late summer.

-Punching it drops one orchid head of it's color, and kills it.

-Spreads naturally to blocks around it, no more that a cluster of 7 blocks.

-Generally regrows in the same spot every summer, unless destroyed.

-No seeds available, needs to be dug up and moved.

-Needs lots of water, and good, fertilized soil.

-When black, it's dyes can be used for making markings.

Daisy:

-White petals with yellow centre.

-Grows in fields naturally.

-Growing season early spring to summer.

-Punching it after fully grown drops 4-5 daisy seeds.

-Not much fertilizer or water needed.

Skyflower:

-Yellow when it first grows, short bit of green, then blue for most of the time,short bit of purple, then red, and then finally brown, before dying.

-Found occasionally on the tops of mountains.

-Starts growing early spring and dies late fall.

-Punching it yields a skyflower head of whatever colour it was at the time, and kills it. If it was purple, 4-5 seeds drop as well.

-Needs very fertile dirt, but not much water.

-Heads can be crafted into dyes of the respective colour, except for brown.

Herbs:

Basil:

-Green.

-Grows naturally in warm wet areas, such as rain-forests.

-Long growing season, starts growing in early spring, doesn't die until late fall.

-Punching it drops one dye of basil leaf, which can be used in meals.

-It naturally has 5-7 leaves. Once it runs out, if you punch it, it dies and drops 1-2 seeds. Leaves slowly regen.

-Leaves can be crafted into green die.

-Needs some water, and very fertilized soil.

Sugar Cane:

-Sugarcane as it is now renamed Wild Sugar Cane. Cannot be replanted.

-Wild sugar cane+knife=Sugar Cane Seeds

-Sugar Cane (the new one) doesn't need to be next to water.

-Works as it does now, except on garden soil instead.

-A full crafting grid of sugar cane creates a sugar cane stack, which can be placed.

-Destroying a placed Sugar Cane Stack with a hammer creates paper. Anything else drops the Sugar cane stack.

-Knife + Sugar can=Sugar

-Destroying the bottom block of sugar cane will drop the amount the sugar cane is tall in seeds, as well as the blocks above it.

-Grows all year round

-Can grow on poor soil but consumes lots of water.

Items:

Garden shovel:

-Crafted by putting a Garden shovel head on the end of a stick.

-The head can be made by knapping or with metal.

-Left clicking on a plant with it will drop that plant, except for sugar cane.

-Plants dug up this way will die quickly.

-Right clicking on dirt will create soil.

Watering can:

-Can be crafted with wood or metal.

-When empty, right click on water to fill it.

-When full, right click on dirt to use it. It increases dirt's hydration to the max, 10.

Compost:

-Gotten from a compost heap.

-When right clicked on soil, it increases it's fertilization by 1, to a max of 10, but consumes it.

-Maybe help crops (?)

Fertilizer:

-Crafted using 3 Compost + 1 bonemeal. Creates 2.

-When right-clicked on soil, it will increase it's Fertilization by 7, to a max of 20.

-Maybe some effect on crops (?)

Blocks:

Compost heap:

-Made by throwing 3 dirt on the ground, and one compostable material.

-Compostable materials include: Petals, basil, and sugar can stacks.

-Once thrown, it creates a compost block 4/10ths of a block tall.

-Right clicking on it will show a GUI with a 3x3 grid in the middle. Things may not be placed in it. When first opened, it will already have 3 dirt in it.

-Throwing another compostable material at it will increase it's size by 1/10th a block. It becomes full at 9/10ths.

-Compost and dirt of the kind you made it with will slowly fill in the center slot, the larger the stack, the faster it generates.

-Taking out compost and dirt decreases it's size by 1/10.

-The amount of items that can generate is the number of 1/10th blocks - 1, so a full one, 9/10 blocks, can generate 8 items.

Soil:

-Made by right clicking on existing dirt or grass with a garden shovel.

-Doesn't grow grass.

-Plants can only be planted in this dirt.

-Right clicking it with compost increases it's fertility by 1, to a max of 10.

-Right clicking with fertilizer increase it's fertility by 7, and can increase it past 10, to 20.

-Has a max level of 10 hydration. Water nearby will increase it's hydration to 5, but no higher. The water will eventually disappear.

-With no plant, Hydration and Fertilization will slowly go down. With a plant, Hydration will go down at a higher rate, depending on the plant, but Fertilization will remain at the same rate.

Notes:

-Current paper recipe will no longer work.

Unless we can think of a real use for flowers and sugarcane, other than what we have, then there would be no point except for aesthetic purposes. If Bioxx could implement Herbs and a larger Variety of dies, then gardens would become a nessciety. maybe when a new damage system is introduced.

EDIT: check this out

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/665-new-health-and-medicine-system/

Mainly I was think just for aesthetics. Obviously sugarcane has a use, and flowers can make dye, but I figure it would be nice to have a variety of flowers, and maybe even herbs for healing, like that thread suggested, or for meals. I would love to put some spice on my steak.

Mainly though, it would just be for collecting flowers and other things, to say, decorate your home. It would also add realism that you can't go punch a flower, then plant it and have it stay for the rest of your game. You have to water it, and replant it, etc.

Flowers could be used to make perfume that adds a small buff. (You know, because you smell good and feel refreshed and thus you're ready to take on life)

Or maybe flowers could be used as cheap compost material if they add in composting to make fertilizer. (Cause you know, flowers grow fast)

Flowers could possibly be used to attract bees, ladybugs, worms, etc.

Ladybugs eat bugs that harm your flowers and can be crushed to make spotted red dye.

Worms can be used to make composting happen faster. They eat your flowers but can also be eaten by ladybugs.

Grasshoppers can be eaten for 2-3 hunger.

See the old bees discussion 4 what they do.

Flies eat you food and are annoying, but they can be eaten by ladybugs.

Wasps are annoying and sting you.

Beetles can be eaten for half a hunger. They also eat your plants.

Butterflies pollinate flowers.

Discuss please

Maybe spices make food that normally make you sick, not make you sick.

I thought spices would just fit in the meal system, as some people wanted to use seeds in their meals.

That is a lot of mobs, I'm worried if that is implemented, it will be VERY laggy.

Perfume is a good idea, although, a little bit odd, and I really like the compost idea.

If any of you garden, though, you could prolly help them add it by giving a list of types of plants, dirts, how plants work, etc.

oh, and, watering can.

Well i was thinking for the butterflies, bees, beetles and wasps, there would be one mob representing a swarm. The mob would be small as a point, but have particles around it and a hit-box as large as the particles.

The others would just be normal mobs, small but normal.

Hmm...

Well, I guess if it's up to the developers. They seemed to get everything to fit so far.

Thought of an idea for a plant, Basil, where you get a leaf every time you punch it, but if it runs out of leaves, it dies. When it dies it drops 1-2 seeds. I'll increase my list when I come back, I gtg for moment.

Flowers could be used to make perfume that adds a small buff. (You know, because you smell good and feel refreshed and thus you're ready to take on life)

Or maybe flowers could be used as cheap compost material if they add in composting to make fertilizer. (Cause you know, flowers grow fast)

Flowers could possibly be used to attract bees, ladybugs, worms, etc.

I suppose I can live with the perfume idea but

Ladybugs eat bugs that harm your flowers and can be crushed to make spotted red dye.

Spotted dye is plainly rediculous. I like the ladybug suggestion in general but no dye.

Worms can be used to make composting happen faster. They eat your flowers but can also be eaten by ladybugs.

Likewise rediculous. I'm all for a little fantasy in TFC, but plausible fantasy.

Grasshoppers can be eaten for 2-3 hunger.

See the old bees discussion 4 what they do.

Good, I guess. Don't know about the hunger value given the hunger overhaul though.

Flies eat you food and are annoying, but they can be eaten by ladybugs.

Again, not sure about this. Ladybugs eat mostly apids and similar insects which feed on plants. Can't see a ladybug having much intrest in a fly even if it could catch one.

Wasps are annoying and sting you.

Beetles can be eaten for half a hunger. They also eat your plants.

Butterflies pollinate flowers.

Discuss please

These seem fine.

Maybe spices make food that normally make you sick, not make you sick.

I don't see why this should work as that's not something spices do. I beleive this suggestion was regected already anyways.

Well i was thinking for the butterflies, bees, beetles and wasps, there would be one mob representing a swarm. The mob would be small as a point, but have particles around it and a hit-box as large as the particles.

The others would just be normal mobs, small but normal.

i know this is a bit off topic, but i feel i should let you know that your picture is borked sir

Actually, worms do help composting. Look it up. It is NOT fantasy.

Also, I was referring to the vanilla hunger. I have NO idea what the new hunger values are.

Actually, spices do do that. They make horrible food taste less horrible. In this case, I'm refferring to sickness as disgusting taste in your mouth.

So yea, Buczk does not know what he's talking about AT ALL.

i know this is a bit off topic, but i feel i should let you know that your picture is borked sir

Oh, no, don't worry about it; it's probably because he intentionally used a white avi, so everyone would ask and be trolled :3

Nice try, 1SDAN, nice try

aaaaaaahahaha this is amazing, please implement immediately

'Damn, I smell good, time to chop down 15 trees!'

Actually, worms do help composting. Look it up. It is NOT fantasy.

I was referring to ladybugs eating worms.

Actually, spices do do that. They make horrible food taste less horrible. In this case, I'm refferring to sickness as disgusting taste in your mouth.

Sickness in video games generally translates to lost health. I see no believable game mechanic causing spices from magically preventing rotten food from causing damage. A 'disgusting taste in your mouth' is not a game mechanic that exists withing the minecraft engine.

Also, food spoilage was shot down pretty definitively in this thread.

There are tons of effects that could be used to simulate the bad taste, the one that is already in the vanilla game is hunger, but there's also a nausea, poison, and a few other negative effects that could fit, also that thread didn't definitively say no food spoiling ever, it said there would need to be a more efficient way to handle it which has not been thought of yet.

Also, food spoilage was shot down pretty definitively in this thread.

What happened is that they don't know how to do it, so they won't. If you looked for the post Eternal was refering to in his response to Dunk there, you would see one (and the only i think) of the more fleshed out solutions proposed:

The answer is both simple and horribly evil - add damage bars to food items, and prevent them from stacking. Damage values decrease on a hidden internal timer unique to each type of food (raw chicken would rot far quicker than bread, for example). Cooking, smoking, or otherwise preserving foods yields a new item with a severely slower timer and/or higher damage value, which depending on the food could either start at maximum again or start with a percentage of durability missing equal to the item it was created from.

And since I can already hear the torches being lit and pitchforks raised, this would also come with several new in-world storage blocks unique to certain food groups, such as larders, grain silos, pantries, and so on. These would have relatively massive inventories which, like vanilla chests, can be expanded by placing multiple adjacent blocks. Silos only connect upward, pantries are build in-world like a bloomery, larder algorithms recognize all adjacently connected larder blocks out to 3 from the start, etc

But that doesn't solve how you get your food there to begin with, when meat no longer stacks and your freshly killed cow just dropped you 22 beef items - well, enter butchery.

The meat storage areas would have to be relatively close to your pens, so that when the butchery UI is implemented you can just quickly take some meat, store it, take some meat, store it, etc... and be decently quick about it. Else you could also separate a cow from the herd via meta (as in you, the player) wrangling skills (perhaps rope, crafted in the inventory by itself, could yield a lasso that could function on land mobs the way the fishing rods currently do?) to separate a cow/pig/chicken from the herd/flock, and bring it to your pre-prepared butchering area. A UI makes the entire process far more simple than it would be without, which I imagine will come as a welcome relief.

Also, idk how you're going to DEAL with the butchery thing, but I'm imagining killing a mob will end up spawning a 'dead mob' block that can be right-clicked. If that's the case, perhaps carnivore AI should be adjusted with a hunger bar like the player's, only obviously invisible. At >60% hunger, carnivores will only aggro if approached, including other mobs - at 60-26% hunger, carnivore mobs will actively seek out passive mobs, kill one, and then stay next to the block and slowly deplete the raw meat from its UI, filling up its hunger bar correspondingly until it's full - if hunger is still under 60% after the mob has no meat left, the carnivore will then attack another mob. Carnivores with >=25% hunger will also actively seek out and attack other carnivores and the player. This way, early Homo Stevians will probably derive his first sustenance from half-rotted remains of other carnivore's kills.

Since I can easily see 2 or 3 bears taking out an entire - rather important - herd of passives, perhaps passive mob herd size should also be increased slightly, and their AI set to include staying away from carnivores if possible. They shouldn't ALWAYS be able to get away or else the carnivores all die instead, but you get my point.

The possibilities are fairly extreme

[Edit:] Jesus srg, you didn't have to like this 42 times...

I have a list of some ideas for plants and stuff, I'm gunna add it to the OP in a couple mins.

I have a list of some ideas for plants and stuff, I'm gunna add it to the OP in a couple mins.

WTF, what did you do?! Now it looks all borked D: ALL borked

I know. I didn't do anything.

How do I fix it?

Posted Image

Do I seriously have to fix this by hand?

Sigh.

Edit: FIxed! Also saved on a separate text document, so that doesn't happen again.

You do know that food, wood, seeds, petals, stems and any other organic/once living material can be used to make compost right?

EDIT:

About my pic, I was using a blank 1 as homage to the famous Shoejuggler from the official Fusion Fall Forums (May it rest in peace)

GO PROJECT RETURN!

@EstebanLB Still no flowers.

@1SDAN You could compost those too, I guess, then.

Loving the sugarcane reinterpretation. I hope it makes it in.

... I hope even more that it replaces the retarded RPG leveling up crap recently added when it does