Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DJFergy

Geological Events

172 posts in this topic

I understand that there is already some geological events going on currently in TFC such as cave-ins and sink holes. But why not expand on that idea? In think things such as landslides right after a heavy rain, rock falls on steep mountain slopes, and earthquakes occurring near ravines (possibles faultline?) will make things much more interesting. I believe it would make the mod come alive; like nature is constantly changing.

Edit: and why not volcanos while we are at it? Those are always fun :lol:

Edit: I know snow is relatively rare in TFC, but maybe avalanches as well? I am aware that any of this things would be extremely difficult to code but it helps to throw ideas out there, right?

I understand that there is already some geological events going on currently in TFC such as cave-ins and sink holes. But why not expand on that idea? In think things such as landslides right after a heavy rain, rock falls on steep mountain slopes, and earthquakes occurring near ravines (possibles faultline?) will make things much more interesting. I believe it would make the mod come alive; like nature is constantly changing.

Edit: I know snow is relatively rare in TFC, but maybe avalanches as well? I am aware that any of this things would be extremely difficult to code but it helps to throw ideas out there, right?

I think most of this ideas already had their own thread... :

well landslides are already implemented in some way with not being able to stack ...

i guess the mechanic can be used to trigger a random event caused by frequent rain in the area.

something like

IF x*times rain/time = trigger event.

but it depends at bit on if there is some connection from blocks to rain or if these are separate things codewise,

because you might just have to edit the dirt sand and gravel blocks to something like:

IF input (rain, whatever that is in the code) equals a/ over b time =trigger event.

the same could apply to the rock falls and avalanches where maybe the steepness and if the blocks are right determines if an area is applicable or not,

and it would be a random event.

so this may be not so hard to code or very hard.....

but +1 for idea and volcanoes!!!!!

edit: i only have basic understanding of coding so its just my idea of how it "could" work :)

I think most of this ideas already had their own thread... :

False. I checked the entire forum. I did not see any repeats.

these don't actually seem that hard to do, although they would be rudimentary. For earthquakes, we only have to make the players screen shake and then have the experience 2 minutes of lag while we updated every block to check if it should cave in. (but seriously, some of these wouldn't be so bad :))

if any fault line work is done, there would have to be work done similar to vanilla rivers to create areas where the environment is subject to this. I imagine that once a 'fault line' is added into the generation code we could go as far as lining mountains, ravines, and other similar geological features up to it and making the generation smooth and seamless.

Dunk, volcanoes PLEASSSEE????

Dunk, volcanoes PLEASSSEE????

-grabs and hurls behiend a wall before dunk can get him-

so, yeah, to avoid incurring the wrath of an angry Dunk, don't do stuff like that

I am whole heartedly against volcanic activity. One aspect is that yes, its neat to see, neat to watch, but when it comes to playing, you wouldn't want to suddenly find an entire town on a server reduced from redsteel to tin unless it was an act of war. Destructive nature in a game such as this is a huge no.

however, Volcanic plains, Mountains, etc, as generation features as opposed to disasters that occur spratically(spelling halp plz?) are something I would enjoy. I would love to find myself in side the old husk of a long dead volcano. Active volcanos however are a no, as that causes issues with the playerbase.

I am whole heartedly against volcanic activity. One aspect is that yes, its neat to see, neat to watch, but when it comes to playing, you wouldn't want to suddenly find an entire town on a server reduced from redsteel to tin unless it was an act of war. Destructive nature in a game such as this is a huge no.

however, Volcanic plains, Mountains, etc, as generation features as opposed to disasters that occur spratically(spelling halp plz?) are something I would enjoy. I would love to find myself in side the old husk of a long dead volcano. Active volcanos however are a no, as that causes issues with the playerbase.

Thus, there has to be more active decision in placing your town and village. Creating one near an active volcano is not a good idea but at the same time, you get rewarded with heavier resources. Also, volcanoes would not pop every 5 days, that would be insane. Should have a 1% chance of occurring every 5 minutes irl. This way, the chances for it to occur is steeply (<- word used under presumption) low but when it does happen, you ought to be prepared and have taken preemptive measures.

Also, link for those interested in knowing about why people live near volcanoes:

http://www.geography...canoliving.html

1% chance to 5mins IRL means on servers volcanoes pop everyday :P so building permanent camp near one is off limits.

Next thing is that underground lavapockets can be quite pressurised so digging in one could cause small eruption and atleast kill that digger, imagine mining with few friends and someone pops to lavapocket, then you race to surface against flowing lava erupting behind, of course pressure not always is high enough to reach surface but can fill caves to some point :)

And volcanoes must be rarer than in redpower. I.e. 3-4 from north to south. Form east to west there can be as many volcanoes as you want.

Honestly, I disagree ECC, like manafusion said, it would be something one could know about, and thus you could choose to not live there, They shouldn't appear everywhere, and if they did they should at least have started appearing as soon as the world did, so if you want to build your home at the foot of a mountain that has a lava pool at the top, you may just consider moving a little further down hill.

Until you're super arrogant and decide, yes, I'm going to conquer this volcano! You can't conquer something that rolls over for you when you get to it.

Bioxx seems to be against volcanoes in principle, which I generally agree with, as eruptions are too much of a problem. If they ever ARE added, it would be merely as a non-intractable terrain feature. You would have a mountains with a pillar of lava extending up from the lava lakes in the centre. BIggest problem you'd have would be digging into lava

but this isn't really the top priority, and probably not worth the effort.

Bioxx seems to be against volcanoes in principle, which I generally agree with, as eruptions are too much of a problem. If they ever ARE added, it would be merely as a non-intractable terrain feature. You would have a mountains with a pillar of lava extending up from the lava lakes in the centre. BIggest problem you'd have would be digging into lava

but this isn't really the top priority, and probably not worth the effort.

well... gold veins are associated with vulcanism... If it can serve as an argument in defense of this feature... Not a solid argument.

The only thing that I could agree here is give the world some dinamicity (is that a word?), like a volcano eruption pooring lava and it cooling to make basalt, etc.

well... gold veins are associated with vulcanism... If it can serve as an argument in defense of this feature... Not a solid argument.

The only thing that I could agree here is give the world some dinamicity (is that a word?), like a volcano eruption pooring lava and it cooling to make basalt, etc.

the root word is dynamic, so I'd expect it to start with "dy" but idk

I can't find a word anywhere with the meaning of "the state or quality of being dynamic"

So I guess you would have to say "make the world more dynamic"

I can't find a word anywhere with the meaning of "the state or quality of being dynamic"

So I guess you would have to say "make the world more dynamic"

do what colbert did: make your own word. His was truthiness; the degree of truth in a statement. It was adopted as a real word by websters or something

do what colbert did: make your own word. His was truthiness; the degree of truth in a statement. It was adopted as a real word by websters or something

To be honest, all you need is popularity for that...

EVOO has been added as an official abbreviation for Extra Virgin Olive Oil thanks to Rachael Ray.

I hate what we are doing to the English language.

To be honest, all you need is popularity for that...

EVOO has been added as an official abbreviation for Extra Virgin Olive Oil thanks to Rachael Ray.

I hate what we are doing to the English language.

as long as things like "lol" don't become words.

If YOLO is recognized I will punch somebody

Sorry, was in a hurry to go to basin tectonics class, let's say the dynamism of the world.

If YOLO is recognized I will punch somebody

Please....dont punch me :o

but i like it more backwards..... :P

Please....dont punch me :o

but i like it more backwards..... :P

Once live only you?