Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Unshaped ingot

38 posts in this topic

When thinking about it I don't understand why after melting the metal into a mold, and waiting for it to cool, you have to make and ingot out of it. Isn't the the ingot just sitting there? It's inside a mold and it's solid.. what shape is it other then ingot? I mean shouldn't your unshaped ingot turn into ingot once it cools down.

I think that you should just get the ingot out of the mold once it looses it's liquid form. Doesn't it makes more sense?

I believe it has to do with the fact that when you cast an ingot it leaves an uneven crystal structure within the metal, such as in this picture. I would imagine you have to shape it to make the structure even. But hey, I could be wrong.

I think it has much more to do with getting the ingot out of the mold, thats why you hit, hit, hit.

The guys who know about metal working are about to make a shit storm here... :

I think it has much more to do with getting the ingot out of the mold, thats why you hit, hit, hit.

That's true, with sand casting you have to destroy the mould to get anything out, though I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get a rectangular or even a slightly trapezoidal prism out of it's mould. Not sure though, don't quote me.

make sense, but what still bothers me is that once I have the unshaped ingot (lots of them), I have to heat it first to get the ingot out..

so maybe there shouldn't be temperature limit for working on unshaped ingots (except the solid form).

unless there is an explanation for it too :huh:

according to wikipedia:

"Crack or void formation occurs as the liquid to solid transition has an associated volume change for a constant mass of material. Formation of these ingot defects may render the cast ingot useless, and may need to be re-melted, recycled or discarded."

I would not be surprised if the primitive casting method we use in TFC produces several cracks and imperfections as the ingot cools in the mold. Working such a flawed ingot by heating it and hammering it may solidify it into a solid homogeneous form.

according to wikipedia:

"Crack or void formation occurs as the liquid to solid transition has an associated volume change for a constant mass of material. Formation of these ingot defects may render the cast ingot useless, and may need to be re-melted, recycled or discarded."

I would not be surprised if the primitive casting method we use in TFC produces several cracks and imperfections as the ingot cools in the mold. Working such a flawed ingot by heating it and hammering it may solidify it into a solid homogeneous form.

Welcome to the forums! You did some researching before posting and had a solid argument, you will be a great addition here

Welcome to the forums! You did some researching before posting and had a solid argument, you will be a great addition here

he and I had a massive argument in IRC the other day. I'd like to see more stuff from him before I would say he'll be helpful.

Only time will tell :c

I am almost certain I know your avatar pic from some game, now which was?

I never been to the IRC...

I am almost certain I know your avatar pic from some game, now which was?

I never been to the IRC...

Academician Prokhor Zakharov from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

Alpha Centauri! A good game there, although I still prefer Space Empires 5...

Alpha Centauri! A good game there, although I still prefer Space Empires 5...

Have any f you guys played his Civilization series?

Have any f you guys played his Civilization series?

hehe Really, I think everyone above 18 have played at least one. Personally I don't like the 5 as it doesn't allow stacking...

hehe Really, I think everyone above 18 have played at least one. Personally I don't like the 5 as it doesn't allow stacking...

Civ 5 was OK, I really loved the G&K expansion because it readded religion which I thought was a cool concept(I am atheist btw). also because it added a bunch of new units. But IMO, Civ 4 was the best. I have played Civ 3, but not Civ 1 or 2. Speaking of, has anyone played the older Elder Scrolls games? like before Morrowind. (IDK what they are called)

make sense, but what still bothers me is that once I have the unshaped ingot (lots of them), I have to heat it first to get the ingot out..

so maybe there shouldn't be temperature limit for working on unshaped ingots (except the solid form).

unless there is an explanation for it too :huh:

You need to practice then, the way Bioxx intended. Shape the bar right after it gets out of the bloomery man, don't overproduce the thing. If you need to wait for the bar to get colder, then plan accordingly

Civ 5 was OK, I really loved the G&K expansion because it readded religion which I thought was a cool concept(I am atheist btw). also because it added a bunch of new units. But IMO, Civ 4 was the best. I have played Civ 3, but not Civ 1 or 2. Speaking of, has anyone played the older Elder Scrolls games? like before Morrowind. (IDK what they are called)

I have Morrowind, wich had the amazing feature that made skyrim a not so amazing game for me, the feature of making your own spells as you like! But before morrowind? No I have not

I have Morrowind, wich had the amazing feature that made skyrim a not so amazing game for me, the feature of making your own spells as you like! But before morrowind? No I have not

My dad had civ 2 and 3 when I was little and morrowind when I was older. I own oblivion and skyrim and i have my dad's old civ 3, and my own civ 4 and 5

they're nice games :)

I think i should give civilization a try... i heard about it hundreds of times, i saw some images, but honestly i forgot pretty quickly about it :

Just so i don't go to the battlefield unarmed*, and as this thread seems to have derailed into old games discussion... How is the game's style? i mean, sort of like AoE, or RPG, or... what? :

*Just a translated expression which i don't know if it has an english version or something like that...

I think i should give civilization a try... i heard about it hundreds of times, i saw some images, but honestly i forgot pretty quickly about it :

Just so i don't go to the battlefield unarmed*, and as this thread seems to have derailed into old games discussion... How is the game's style? i mean, sort of like AoE, or RPG, or... what? :

*Just a translated expression which i don't know if it has an english version or something like that...

It is Civilization... I don't think it fits on just a single genre, it is a empire management - strategy game, there is also elements of RPG in it.

From what i saw in some more pictures... I think i can say, tentativelly, that's somewhat similar to Theocracy? At least in the empire management, strategic side...

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7176/theol.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Theocracy-Province.png

http://www.gamesnation.com/images/images/screenshots/0000/screenshot-407-2.jpg

I'm just trying to find something to relate it to, so i have some idea of what is the game... :

From what i saw in some more pictures... I think i can say, tentativelly, that's somewhat similar to Theocracy? At least in the empire management, strategic side...

http://img717.images.../7176/theol.png

http://upload.wikime...cy-Province.png

http://www.gamesnati...nshot-407-2.jpg

I'm just trying to find something to relate it to, so i have some idea of what is the game... :

Some what yes. I have heard some about Theocracy, And it is the rough idea of CIv. BUT ONLY SOME WHAT THEY ARE NOT THAT SIMILAR!!!

http://img717.images.../7176/theol.png

http://upload.wikime...cy-Province.png

http://www.gamesnati...nshot-407-2.jpg

It seems very different, in CIV you build cities, in them you can build things that work like an upgrade for you city, but basically you city is an unit, you can build settlers there and move them to make new cities. You conquer the adversaries either by force and you smash their cities, or by diplomacy.