Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Soil Nutrients

37 posts in this topic

I trying to start a farm but I can't seem to be able to plant any crops, tried placing different dirt types and different spots (near water source, far). All the crops just popping and dropping the seed back.

What can cause it?

Temperature? Rains?

Can you share your farming experience?

Maybe will conclude what soil nutrients depends on.

My conditions are as follow:

Biome: Plains

Temperature: ~5

Rain: 4000

Coordinates: y ~= 150 z ~= -14750 north

Result: nothing, can't even plant

Edit:

Temperature has fallen to 3 and now I can plant tomatoes and peppers.. wa?

Bear Grills trying to plant?

yes, doesn't seem to go together.

What month is it in game? The only non-bug related reason I can think of for plants not working is that you are trying to plant them in winter.

My conditions are as follow:

Biome: Plains

Temperature: ~5

Rain: 4000

Coordinates: y ~= 150 z ~= -14750 north

I think this is very far north and cold. I usually try to travel closer to equator, about 6000-9000, and farm there.

The rain is fine, I've seen 8000 couple of times, but even 2000 seems fine enough to grow carrots and onion.

I would thinks its because it's so damn cold.

EDIT: The arctic circle is defined as 66.5622° N. You are 66.375.

It cold alright, snow on the neighbor mountains.

But I was able to plant some stuff, after a while the popped, other can't even be planed.

Since there is no way I'm leaving this spot, any way I can manage in cold? Can forges raise the overall temperature? Will it be enough or the location ruins it all?

It cold alright, snow on the neighbor mountains.

But I was able to plant some stuff, after a while the popped, other can't even be planed.

Since there is no way I'm leaving this spot, any way I can manage in cold? Can forges raise the overall temperature? Will it be enough or the location ruins it all?

Don't think you're going to get many crops then :/

the fact that you could plant anything sounds like a bug. In the future we hope to layer a heat map over the world like the light value map. This would allow for ambient temperature and block-specific temperatures, but might be computationally expensive as technically any block that has a higher heat than the surrounding blocks acts as a heat source, but loses heat to do that.

*including air blocks :/ we might just simplify it to make specific blocks considered "heat" sources

-snip-

I think you should do heat sources approach. Other approaches will ruin computers left and right.

the fact that you could plant anything sounds like a bug. In the future we hope to layer a heat map over the world like the light value map. This would allow for ambient temperature and block-specific temperatures, but might be computationally expensive as technically any block that has a higher heat than the surrounding blocks acts as a heat source, but loses heat to do that.

*including air blocks :/ we might just simplify it to make specific blocks considered "heat" sources

Air thermal conductivity is infimal, you can simplify that.

Air thermal conductivity is infimal, you can simplify that.

but if you have a room like this:

# # # # # # # # # # #

# . . . . . . . . . . . . . #

# . . . . . . # # # # # #

# . . . . . . . . . H. . . #

# # # # # # # # # # #

where H is a heat source. Would it go around the curve?

# # # # # # # # # # #

# #

# #

# # # # # # #

# #

# #

# H #

# # # # # # # # # # #

Only if the heat is transfered through the floor or there is enough time to convection be significant.

But if I were you I wouldn't touch convection...

-snip-

Infrared won't. Convection will. God forbid anyone trying to emulate proper convection waves in minecraft.

Edit:

Well, to think about it, infrared will heat the wall, and it will become secondary heat source.

You could do a simplified "heat field" that acts like the current lighting engine. Forget convection and infrared for now.

Each block has two properties:

heat level (in degrees C which we currently use)

heat conduction (air has a high value since heat passes through air better than solids)

The heat conduction is the percentage amount of heat that gets passed into the block. This takes into account the block's own temperature. A really cold block touched by something hot will quickly heat up, but gradually slow as it gets closer to the heat source's temperature. Of course, if this 'heat source' (which could be any block) isn't generating heat of its own, the hot block would also rapidly cool and both would be somewhere in the middle.

For instance, a low heat conductor (insulator) will practically stop heat transfer in its tracks. Things like wood (not a whole lot) and glass would fall into this category. If we consider an application of this in real life, only the side touched by the hot block will get hot, but the other side will stay cool, so possibly each side of a block will have a temperature value.

Back to "infrared," or in this case, heat radiation. In the case Dunk has above, the simplified heat field mechanic will hit the left side wall, but since the sides of the blocks are getting warmer, they also start to radiate their own heat. So, in short, yes, the top part above the floor WILL get warm, but it will take longer.

To reduce lag from these calculations, maybe the heating can be updated every 40 ticks (two seconds). Heat isn't something that needs real-time constant updating to be an effective feature.

Dunk, are there any conditions that you know of where the random environmental plants can't grow? (not including tundra of course) My z is -12,100-400 range that I am normally in and I've found pretty much every plant in the game (including pepper and numerous citrus and banana trees) randomly growing even though the temperature hovers around 7 degrees at the height of summertime. I can see tubers and cabbage growing in that, but not a lot else. Nothing much grows planted as a crop, yet the bounty is so plentiful from the general environment that there's no need at all to farm. 100m in any direction and I can gather a week's worth of food.

yeah, this is wrong. I think we're going to be making most plants only able to grow in the right climates, so things like peppers and such won't grow in cold climates like that.

yeah, this is wrong. I think we're going to be making most plants only able to grow in the right climates, so things like peppers and such won't grow in cold climates like that.

Okay cool, good to hear. I've tried to grow peppers in my backyard (before I started to move all over the country) and the best I got were these little dwarf greens about 1cm radius. We have very hot summers out here... but they're not long. Speaking of which... is it possible to have more axial tilt on TFC worlds? Or is it already random and I've just ended up with near-0?

(Edit... that would be kind of cool if the world had a lot of randomised climate variables. They wouldn't take tons of space - that is, no need to be block-based - but would further increase the dynamics of a given TFC world. But maybe it's been discussed. Maybe it's just my atmospheric physics side coming out... )

Speaking of climates, I do get snow in my parts.. IN THE SUMMER, it's all random, winters hot, summers cold.. etc.

My temperatures are between -3 and 5, so some random factor would explain it but still, it's finally summer and I get snow :huh:

Speaking of climates, I do get snow in my parts.. IN THE SUMMER, it's all random, winters hot, summers cold.. etc.

My temperatures are between -3 and 5, so some random factor would explain it but still, it's finally summer and I get snow :huh:

your OP said you are NEGATIVE 14k NORTH... you can't be -14k north... it may just be that you are in the southern hemisphere and your seasons are reversed :)

Umm... -z is north Dunk

Umm... -z is north Dunk

wat.

you said he can't be at -14,000 z north

but -z coordinates are north in game

you said he can't be at -14,000 z north

but -z coordinates are north in game

where is this. Also even if this is true, you can't specify - and north, those are incompatible. Because there is no POSTIVE north, you shouldn't specify both. It's like a double negative.

Start up a game, put the rising sun to your right side, and walk north.

Negative Zs

There was an entire thread on this. It's because of OpenGL.

goddamit openGL. wtf.